Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 132249 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Precise wording
« Reply #1050 on: October 14, 2021, 03:35:51 am »

"I'll be over here if people need to talk to some random thing."
Sew a fork and a spoon together, observe what I get then sew a knife to that, after all that go find some rags and see if I can't make a stuffed animal from them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: October 14, 2021, 03:42:27 pm »

There has been an inconsistency regarding my abilities. In my tests before the last mission, I couldn't increase the size of my wings by converting them to air, but during the most recent tests I could change the size and shape of my arm while it was water. If I am able to increase their size, then I'll be able to drop their current transformation and still get it back later without making another large-scale model for them. I would like to take some time to see if I can figure it out. Is there some kind of limit that I'm running into maybe?
I head over to Debby and Elizabeth, and am surprised to see Elizabeth still tied to Debby via rope.
"Hey, you doing okay?"

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1052 on: October 14, 2021, 05:17:57 pm »

Thank the GM for not answering "magic" to my question.

Test the shapeshifting: go touch the shark and morph to sharklike. Is it appearance only, or do I take on the shark qualities? release the shark. do I stay sharklike? Can I revert to non-morphed at-will?
repeat the experiment with a test dummy, and then with a wall in the arena. for the wall: can  blend in with the wall? If I can maintain wall-ness when not touching the wall, what do  look like when moving away?
Can I tell what i look like or do I need an outside observer to explain it to me? Can we assume I manage to get an outside observer to help if necessary?

After this test I am ready for the next mission whenever.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
((NJW2000 just replied to my PM and says he’ll take any color for the link between Hugh and Youare.  Would you mind choosing for us?))
((blue. see updated needle web))
You press your robe against the shark and think about shapeshifting. You feel your skin tingle and look at yourself in the reflection of the containment pool. You're still humanoid, but the face poking out of the robe looks sharky. You look like a humanoid shark. Huh. You touch your face. It feels like you have a shark muzzle, but your vision isn't any different from before despite having eyes on the sides of your head. Hmm.  Your transformation remains so long as you desire it to, and you can revert at will.

When you use the test dummy, you morph to look more or less identical to it. When you try it on the wall you...end up looking like some kind of golem. All made of stone but still human in shape. Clearly this is more "Take on appearance" than anything.

You cannot tell what you look like innately. Just like normal, really.

Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs as he finishes his experiments, after which he goes around and shares his discovery concerning remote viewing with the others.

Eventually, Hugh returns to the room with the plaque and asks:

Ho! Ho! Ho! Earlier, you mentioned something about ‘Investigation corps’, ‘Capture Corps’, ‘Destroy Corps’, ‘Artisan Corps’, and ‘Aspirants’.  Could you explain more about what each of these are, Please?

After receiving his answer, Hugh goes and tries to get some sleep before the next mission.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

You are part of the investigation corps. Your corps is charged with investigating unknown events, but is also often used as a stop gap for other actions that do not require specialized skills and tools. They often work in tandem with other Corps.
The Capture Corps is specialized in capture and recovery of dangerous creatures and artifacts. Often work in small groups.
Destroy Corps specialize in nullification and destruction of dangerous creatures, artifacts, and are the traditional executioners of mages.  Almost always work in groups of three, but occasionally seen individually.
Artisan Corps repairs, creates, maintains and otherwise handles magical tools and items. Also work as designers and maintainers of Grand Atelier Locations.
Aspirants are mundane who work with the Grand Atelier. Often classed as Homunculi due to physical modifications they undergo.

Aaron has been sitting and thinking about what he found in his mind about himself, but decides to find out what the other homunculi are able to do, and what their names are. He also noted the list of possible homunculus groups, and that his personal info included one of the ones listed. He tells everyone he meets this, too.

Go and ask what everyone's name and abilities are, and tell them we are an Investigation Corp. Afterwards, find a good book to read in the library.

(btw, wasn't my roll for my action supposed to be hidden, or has that rule been rescinded?)
(The hidden roll rule only comes into effect when you use your magic. I'm not gonna hide the roll on other things, since it will probably be obvious what the results of those are)

We'll assume you ask everyone, but whether or not they tell you or what they say is up to them. Here, I will
GET THEIR ATTENTION
Hopefully they'll respond now.

[3]
You find a book but...eh its just ok.

Grey introduces himself and gives a brief explanation of what he can do to Aaron, and asks his question to the plaque.
"What do we need to do to activate our equipment's telekinesis?"

After he has his answer Grey tries to poke as much of his hand and arm as he can through the eye of his needle and grabbing a needle thread with that hand, tugging once and then twice.

Withdrawing his appendage Grey goes into the library to look up information on this Sebiline The All Seeing that Genesis mentioned, and tries to determine if he has any ingrained Homunculi knowledge of them.

Grey also helps out Genesis if he starts wandering around asking for a hand.

(I've been meaning to poke into Sebiline myself, of course two dice is better than one and any book information on the Magi might not be particularly interesting, so it could easily still be an avenue for cog investigation.)

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
When wearing a glove, line your open hand up on a distant object such that, from your perspective, your hand is covering the object. Close your hand over the object and you will "Grab" it. Move your hand to move it.

The eye of the needle is just large enough to stick your hand and maybe half a forearm through. Yoinking the tread once does nothing, but twice allows your hand to pass through the eye of the needle of the other person and effectively produces a small portal.

[4]
You know nothing inherently other than to show loyalty. That seems to be engrained on a near instinctual level. The book you find speaks reverently about him, but also in rather vague terms. He seems to be the one who appeared before the group during that walking castle thing, judging from descriptions. They say he specializes in perception magic and can dramatically alter the world dependent on his own perceptions or others perceptions of it. He handles much of the interactions between the Grand Atelier and the world at large and is said to be constantly traveling among the mundane in one form or another. They say he cut a mountain in half with a flick of his eyes and once banished a mage to "An infinitely distant horizon".

"I'll be over here if people need to talk to some random thing."
Sew a fork and a spoon together, observe what I get then sew a knife to that, after all that go find some rags and see if I can't make a stuffed animal from them.
[2,5,4]
You tap the fork and spoon and the result is...a fork and spoon very loosely fused along their edges, like a very flimsy weld. You could probably snap them off with ease. You then fuse the knife and end up with a spork with sharp, serrated edges on the "Spoon" part.

You use some bedding and random garbage to cobble together a sort of humanoid  shaped doll. Its effectively faceless and nothing but a knotted sheet in a human shape, but its close to a stuffed animal.

There has been an inconsistency regarding my abilities. In my tests before the last mission, I couldn't increase the size of my wings by converting them to air, but during the most recent tests I could change the size and shape of my arm while it was water. If I am able to increase their size, then I'll be able to drop their current transformation and still get it back later without making another large-scale model for them. I would like to take some time to see if I can figure it out. Is there some kind of limit that I'm running into maybe?
I head over to Debby and Elizabeth, and am surprised to see Elizabeth still tied to Debby via rope.
"Hey, you doing okay?"

The limit is that you can influence the size and shape of your normal body, but your wings are abnormal and for some reason the magic doesn't work on them the same way. 

(This is basically a meta thing since people having wings wasn't really part of the norm. If you wanna fly, going Pterodactyl might be easier. )

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 14, 2021, 05:40:39 pm »

greed tries to figure out how to activate the servitude powers. 
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: October 14, 2021, 06:20:22 pm »

GET THEIR ATTENTION
attention.get();
Go and ask what everyone's name and abilities are, and tell them we are an Investigation Corp. Afterwards, find a good book to read in the library.
"Hm? Oh, sorry. I'm Tess, a chameleon. I think I'm the only chameleon here at the moment. And you?"

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Fish Stories.
« Reply #1055 on: October 14, 2021, 07:21:35 pm »

Youare doubles over in pain as the bold red capitals sear their way through his retinas and send his sensory cortex head over heels. He straightens up, blinking at the afterimage and waiting for the ringing in his ears to subside.

"What the hell was that? Get whose attention? How? Why?"

No answers are forthcoming.

"Probably a wrong Iteration. Wires crossed somewhere. Nothing we can do, let the girls on the switchboard worry about it."

Youare asks a question: "Can the magical abilities of an individual be altered without them becoming a numerically different person?"

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 15, 2021, 02:50:35 am »

"Hey, you doing okay?"
"Elizabeth and I are doing well especially since we didn't receive any major injuries during that whole ordeal on the boat, if your wondering about the rope it was just a precaution in case we got washed overboard, I'm not sure if I should remove it yet or wait until the next mission to see if it's still needed.

*giant red letters appear*
"What was that, why does it want my attention?"

Ask that sheet doll I just made to walk around and be alive, then see how Elizabeth feels about the thing I just made.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: October 15, 2021, 07:40:28 am »

Aaron already had Grey's attention so he ignores the angry letters.

Grey heads to the training hall. On the way he disseminates what he knows about the robe's storage properties and how to reach a hand through a needle link, allowing these things to become common knowledge.

Once there, Grey grabs one of the training dummies with his glove's telekinesis and throws it around to see how much force he can exert on it, he then tries to grab multiple dummies using the gloves. Grey also checks to see if he can grab a dummy that's close to him by bringing his hand up to his face so that it blocks most of his vision, and then closing it.

Afterwards Grey orders a bunch of dummies to start walking around and jumping and then Maintains the current positions of everything in the training hall except for Homunculi and anything in their possession, in order to confirm if word magic is friendly to exceptions.

He suggests anyone milling about in the training hall to vacate it in case of potential backlash, and waits for them to do whatever they want to do first before casting his spell.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:55:28 am by Fire and Glory »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1058 on: October 15, 2021, 03:06:28 pm »

greed tries to figure out how to activate the servitude powers. 
[3]
You have a vague feeling it has to do with the cloak and gloves, not the needle.

Youare doubles over in pain as the bold red capitals sear their way through his retinas and send his sensory cortex head over heels. He straightens up, blinking at the afterimage and waiting for the ringing in his ears to subside.

"What the hell was that? Get whose attention? How? Why?"

No answers are forthcoming.

"Probably a wrong Iteration. Wires crossed somewhere. Nothing we can do, let the girls on the switchboard worry about it."

Youare asks a question: "Can the magical abilities of an individual be altered without them becoming a numerically different person?"

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
Such a thing is possible, but rare. Generally accidental. Magic is a fundamental force, and thus alteration of a being's magic requires a fundamental alteration of that being. Altering a being with magic is simple, altering the magic of a being is hard. Even the Magi do not do it lightly. 

"Hey, you doing okay?"
"Elizabeth and I are doing well especially since we didn't receive any major injuries during that whole ordeal on the boat, if your wondering about the rope it was just a precaution in case we got washed overboard, I'm not sure if I should remove it yet or wait until the next mission to see if it's still needed.

*giant red letters appear*
"What was that, why does it want my attention?"

Ask that sheet doll I just made to walk around and be alive, then see how Elizabeth feels about the thing I just made.
[5]
The sheet doll stands up and starts walking around. It doesn't seem very smart and just kind of bumbles around in a circle. Speaking to it was odd too. Hard to describe. Like addressing many things as one. How alive it is, thats hard to say.

She doesn't see it as an abomination or anything, but says its very privative compared to her and her friends.  She likens it to a windup toy, instead of a living thing. Though she also says that it might be more adequately described as a bunch of people stacked on each other, moving like a big person.

Aaron already had Grey's attention so he ignores the angry letters.

Grey heads to the training hall. On the way he disseminates what he knows about the robe's storage properties and how to reach a hand through a needle link, allowing these things to become common knowledge.

Once there, Grey grabs one of the training dummies with his glove's telekinesis and throws it around to see how much force he can exert on it, he then tries to grab multiple dummies using the gloves. Grey also checks to see if he can grab a dummy that's close to him by bringing his hand up to his face so that it blocks most of his vision, and then closing it.

Afterwards Grey orders a bunch of dummies to start walking around and jumping and then Maintains the current positions of everything in the training hall except for Homunculi and anything in their possession, in order to confirm if word magic is friendly to exceptions.

He suggests anyone milling about in the training hall to vacate it in case of potential backlash, and waits for them to do whatever they want to do first before casting his spell.

We'll assume thats common knowledge now.

Tests show that your telekinetic powers do seem to have a limit. When you use them on relatively light things, and move them reasonably, everything goes fine. But when you start grabbing things heavier than you could lift and flinging them around the room with great force your gloves start to burn up. They start from the wrist and smolder with heatless white fire that consumes the fabric like the burning tip of a cigarette.

I don't remember if the dummies follow orders honestly. But yes, you can make exceptions with the word you control.

Once everyone has asked their question/are ready to move on, lemme know.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 15, 2021, 03:50:33 pm »

I'd like to test if turning my tail into materials has the same odd difficulty in controlling it that I seem to be having with my wings. Other than that i'm ready for another mission. I haven't asked my question and would like to wait to ask it.
((so in short, to avoid meta concerns about odd body shapes, replacing non-standard-human body parts doesn't work as well as replacing standard-human ones?))
"I see. I was just concerned about Elizabeth to be honest. She's been so quiet and just going along with whatever since she got here. I want to make sure she's still okay, and that she knows that she's free to do as she pleases."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: October 15, 2021, 05:08:56 pm »

(Hugh is ready for another mission.  Just wake him up whenever.))

((P.s. do humonculi even need sleep?))
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 15, 2021, 05:39:48 pm »

In response to Tess:
"I'm Aaron Blackstar, a Cognizant, it is good to meet you, and I look forward to our work together.

Aaron then stuffs his needle up his sleeve, and tries finding some fairly non-perishable foods from the conduit to stuff in, as well.

(I'm ready to go then.)

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: October 15, 2021, 06:15:45 pm »

Ready to go
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 15, 2021, 07:53:34 pm »

(I wouldn’t know about their animated natures either if I hadn’t gone over the early posts a while back. The dummies can’t leave the room though so no shenanigans to worry about there.)

One more thing. Grey waits for one of the dummies to jump in the air and then Maintains its current position in time. If the magic works then Grey strikes the dummy first with the saber bayonet and again with his needle to observe the results.

After that Grey gets some new gloves and is ready to get going.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 12:52:55 am by Fire and Glory »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 15, 2021, 07:58:46 pm »

Youare is no longer naked and goddamn ready to go. He's just staring at the teleport gate. Fucking daring it not to take him on another mission. Go on. See what happens.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 116