Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game  (Read 7726 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2021, 03:21:22 pm »

The Great Library of Philadelphia

As the citizens of Vault 98 settled in and numbers slowly grew, the decision was made by the Chiefs and the Council to expand downward and outward under the city to claim more living space. Expansion was slow but steady as Nuka-based explosives were used to blow tunnels out of the rock. The Council believed their proposed expansions would avoid any subways or other artificial subterranean areas, but they turned out to be mistaken.

When nuclear war seemed inevitable, the museums and institutions of Philadelphia came together and secretly funded a project they developed called The Great Library of Philadelphia. It turned out, seemingly unknown even to Vault-Tec based on their charts, that this Great Library was constructed deep beneath the Museum of the American Revolution. Within this Great Library were dozens upon dozens of top-of-the-line simulation pods each containing vast stores of knowledge, as well as historical relics, art work, and the real Declaration of Independence (apparently the one in the National Archives in D.C. was a fake), all sealed within this chamber. The only other exit, until now, had been a series of sealed doors cut off from the rest of the world by some sort of cave-in.

While the discovery of the Great Library was quite the unexpected boon, it did result in the immediate cessation of expansion efforts. After all, what would have happened to the Vault had the room not managed to both be completely isolated and still sealed?

Those with any sort of specialized background were asked to step forward as teachers to guide the educations of those of schooling age. Most did, as it gave them something to put time and effort into. The simulation pods ran a program that took the user to a massive library. This library used a visual guide the teachers used to bring students to the appropriate sections of which there were a seemingly endless amount, and when they'd open a book it would link them to the appropriate simulation. The pods were eventually scheduled for use around the clock as different people ran classes at all hours. Outside of the pods, delicate care was taken of the cultural and historical artifacts stored within the Great Library, even the gross Soap Lady. Seeing these reminders of America's great and storied history brought joy to many and raised morale across the board for the first time since the discovery of the Nukacache, and so they were displayed along the corridor constructed between Vault 98 and the Great Library.

Vault 98 is settling in for the long haul. Vault-Tecs notes state they had set the Vault doors to unseal after 40 years, but ultimately the Council will decide if they head out into the world at that time. In the meantime, a few cultural shifts may occur between then and now. Propose and vote for two revisions, refinements, or evolutions of your current equipment or zeitgeist, which is the stuff in bold in the spoiler below. While the core changes made are guaranteed to go through, the rolls will impact how the changes affect other aspects of life in the Vault. This is one of your opportunities to patch a bad bug, fix something you don't like, or specialize in something specific.

Spoiler: Vault 98 Experiment (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2021, 03:31:40 pm »

Quote from: Oh, rats
How did the rats get in? Who knows. Better than giant irradiated cockroaches, I suppose. Anyway, we got rats. Not a huge number, but they're a bloody pest regardless.
On the other hand, they are made of meat, and not human. If we were to... catch a bunch of rats, we could probably alter the composition of synthmeat slightly, so that it is technically rat instead of technically human. Not only would that make people feel a bit less guilty about chowing down on a Synthmeat Burger, it also eliminates the potential health issues involved with copious pseudo-cannibalism.
Long Live United Forenia!

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2021, 03:52:58 pm »

...can we call it "Synthmeat Green?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2021, 04:45:23 am »

Don't get rid of the cannibalism, besides everything being Nuka powered it's one of the only things interesting about our vault that separates ours from the rest.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2021, 08:58:17 am »

Please get rid of the cannibalism, it’s bad by itself and has a pretty good chance of turning everybody against us if they find out.

I’ll see if I can come up with a second proposal later today.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2021, 10:05:42 pm »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2021, 10:16:29 pm »

1. Shrink your image, or at least spoiler it.
2. NO

Anyway. Since people want something unique, let's have something fun.

Quote from: My liege!
Among the simulations held within the Library were a number of them set in both historical and fictional medieval settings; many people started spending their free time in these simulations, enjoying the pristine outdoors and expanses of untamed wilderness. Many also enjoyed the luxury and intrigue of the courts, while others took the roles of knights errant, travelling about and doing good.

This came to something of a head when one of the militia, on a whim, decided to modify their uniform to resemble the armor worn by these fantastical knights. Then another, and one of the scientists switched out their lab coat for a wizard's robe. It wasn't long before a sizeable portion of the Vault was populated by people essentially cosplaying as people living in fantasy rather than a pessimistic science fiction. One of the cafeteria's walls had a great tapestry hung upon it, depicting the events leading up to and after their internment in Vault 98, except they were filtered through fantasy; nuclear war became an influx of dragons, VaultTec's representatives became tricky fae bearing contracts poorly understood, and so on.

The crafts were taken seriously, but the aesthetic essentially remained in good fun. It was some escapism, good for morale. And the reactions of the people outside when faced with a vault of knights and wizards would be good for a laugh.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:29:30 pm by Glass »

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2021, 07:09:59 pm »

This looks fun.

Quote from: VoteBox
My liege!: (1) TCK
Rats:(1) TCK
Edit: So this is more correct?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:23:36 pm by The Canadian kitten »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2021, 07:19:48 pm »

Reminder:
Propose and vote for two revisions, refinements, or evolutions of your current equipment or zeitgeist, which is the stuff in bold in the spoiler below.
This turn will have two victors.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2021, 08:41:57 pm »

My liege!: (2) TCK, Skynet
Rats: (2) TCK, Skynet

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2021, 08:50:37 pm »

Let's get on with it...
My liege!: (3) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive
Rats: (3) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2021, 09:40:24 pm »

My liege!: (4) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive, Glass
Rats: (4) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive, Glass

I was expecting/hoping for more suggestions, but if everyone's good with these two, I’m good with that.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2021, 02:01:51 am »

My liege!: (5) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive, Glass, King Zultan
Rats: (4) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive, Glass
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2021, 02:46:09 am »

We all understand that if the My Liege proposal rolls poorly, the Vault's government is going to be transformed into an actual feudal monarchy, right? We're all okay with that, right? I mean, I am, that sounds neat.

My Liege!: (6) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive, Glass, King Zultan, NUKE9.13
Oh, Rats: (5) TCK, Skynet, ConscriptFive, Glass, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2021, 09:38:08 am »

Renaissance Faire without end...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10