Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 29966 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2021, 03:20:01 pm »

Then, in the distance . . .*stomp* *STOMP *STOMP*
Kiwi birds and snakes vs the dwarven equivalent of a Gundam. Place your bets now!

10U on the kiwis!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2021, 04:05:27 pm »

Yes! A Bronze Colossus, one of my favourite... things. I'm rooting for the big boy of course; if it wins we just might be able to capture it and use it for something fun.

Now all we need is a dragon on top of this. Or several.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2021, 08:14:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---

It was like watching a child play war with toy soldiers.

The rising steam flushed the blood from that shimmering bronze figure, and we small dwarves stood in awe, watching from Imic's Wall. Furious Oil remained alone, unmoving, crouched on the red sand like some ancient statue of the gods.

I have heard that these creatures are worth great sums of money, and a lucrative thought took hold. We could showcase it in rigged arena fights, attract visitors to our tavern, and then sell them cheap memorabilia and offload our excess fish stocks in the form of fish n' chips stalls. It was a dream come true! But, how to capture this god-creature?

---

A new squad was formed titled "Guardian Warriors of the Infinite Nautilus," or Nautilus Guard for short. Recruits were pulled from the mason and hauler castes, and one of our burlier miners was promoted to captain. We shall see what comes of this training.

---

Progress on the arena, first floor:

---

Did you know Bronze Colossi can climb walls? I didn't.

We dwarves had spent a few weeks digging out a trap chamber, installing mechanisms and furniture to draw in Furious Oil, as well as bridges to seal in the creature.

We then opened a new tunnel in the earthwork, level with the moat, and built a bridge at the southern end of the winding sewer pathway. Surprisingly the colossus was unmoved by this, and made no attempt to path into our walls.

"Welp," I thought, "we'll just extend the trapway and wait some more." I turned my back, only to hear screams from the beach . . .that accursed red sand was thirsty for blood.

No one witnessed it, but Furious Oil somehow scaled the wall and was upon us in an instant. The Nautilus were ordered to the shore, and heroic Atis arrived first, gallant and fearless, despite being the last dwarf to join the squad and arguably the least skilled of them all.

Atis ducked multiple fearsome blows from Furious Oil as the waves washed past their feet, but soon tired and (in true attack on titan style) Furious Oil tore off his leg and choked him to death.

Next to arrive was Melbil, another Nautilus Guard. Let me tell you, you won't be hearing much from Melbil about this event, since upon stepping down from the beachside staircase they were immediately punted about 60 feet, breaking every bone in their body as they skipped along, and then exploded into gore. Another coffin to be made. . .

large .gif ahead of the entire fight - it took no more than 15 seconds IRL. If you look closely you can see Melbil disappear off screen:

But, due to a mixture of chance and the forethought of some previous overseer, Furious Oil's rampage was put to a halt as it stepped into one of our ingenious, one-size-fits-all Cage Traps, and was captured. *Phew* After borking up my plans, I was saved due to chance, again. The date was 12 Hematite, Early Summer, 208, and we had just captured ourselves a Bronze Colossus.

---
OOC:
Slow going but hopefully I can up the FPS with some stone management, and closing off some old tunnels. I am concerned that further construction will lead to inescapable lag, though I've only heard rumors of this being the case and haven't really experienced it myself. FPS hovers around 70-80 so it is still very acceptable. Damn, don't fights take forever to write up?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:18:11 pm by Salmeuk »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2021, 03:41:04 am »

Ho, I did not notice this thread ! Sounds like a good idea !

I'm reading through it quickly so I could be wrong, but I have one question :
Why do we have a mace wielding military and not a spear wielding one ?? I mean !!! Last time I heard, fishes were caught with SPEARS, not huge metal balls !
What are you ? A peaceful fishing village or a crowded stinky fortress ?

Get your facts corrected ! Grab your spears, a pint of rum, and sail to the sea !

EDIT : Queue me up for a turn please.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:27:04 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Jamotonous

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Leisure Fort Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2021, 09:49:31 am »

Ho, I did not notice this thread ! Sounds like a good idea !

I'm reading through it quickly so I could be wrong, but I have one question :
Why do we have a mace wielding military and not a spear wielding one ?? I mean !!! Last time I heard, fishes were caught with SPEARS, not huge metal balls !

Get your facts corrected ! Grab your spears, a pint of rum, and sail to the sea !
Years of mercilessly spearing fish in the non-vitals have left dwarves tired of having to choke the struggling fish. On one faithful day, a particularly stressed dwarf had enough of the ocean's troubles, took a mace that had been lying near the pier and in one fell swoop knocked a fish out the water.
The fisherdwarf bashes the sturgeon in the upper body with the -copper mace-, exploding the heart into gore!
Upon checking the sturgeon, the dwarf had realized that with just one swift club to the body the fish had immediately stopped struggling, vastly reducing the effort in fishing. Word had spread to the other fisherdwarves who quickly adopted this new non-strangly method. On that day forward all fishing operations had switched to maces, ending the era of spearfishing. A new age had started in Fishheads, the Age of Fishclubbing. Bash the sea!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2021, 01:42:36 pm »

I second this sentiment... expect the diversification of pointy things very shortly.

Upon checking the sturgeon, the dwarf had realized that with just one swift club to the body the fish had immediately stopped struggling, vastly reducing the effort in fishing. Word had spread to the other fisherdwarves who quickly adopted this new non-strangly method. On that day forward all fishing operations had switched to maces, ending the era of spearfishing. A new age had started in Fishheads, the Age of Fishclubbing. Bash the sea!

If only there were seals to club. I suppose we could club the crabs, but no one wants to wear crab fur so uhhhhh

==========================

I noticed today the waves were traveling all the way down the moat and crashing against the far wall, producing great clouds of mist.

---

Just another day being great at what I do.

---

A small miscommunication occurred that left both our military squads stranded on the beach for two weeks, attempting to kill the now-inaccessible titan. To quell their anger I sent the Nautilus Guard on a simple fetch quest to steal a few rare books from some abandoned monastery down south. Two days travel, no sign of danger, but the hiking will let off some tension, or so I have heard, seeing as I never hike anywhere myself, leaving that for the brutish types. I much prefer a padded horse cart.

Food has begun to pile in up in strange locations. Our cooks and brewers have been working much too hard and the surplus is getting in our way. We await the traders with great anticipation.

---

The Nautilus Guard, inexperienced as they are, still returned unhurt from that strange monastery to the south. With them, the two reported books of the rare and valuable type. First, a rather uninteresting historical piece regarding the rise and fall of Submergedfather. No, it does not explain the name.

And second, would you believe it, another fucking travel advert for Thundersnuggled:

Disappointing, to say the least! I immediately ordered the Nautilus Guard to raid a lightly defended goblin outpost to the east, about two days travel. This was perhaps a bad decision, as they returned over a week later missing three members:

I don't believe our current soldiers are up the task of rescuing the 'lost trio'. We will need to train and practice breaching cell walls, find the best escape route, and prepare supplies and tools. This could take time, but their relatives are hounding my office and I can barely focus on managing the arena construction. What to do, what to do?

---

Work continues on the arena, with the roof begun this very day:

A large aqueduct has been constructed from the Swimatorium, taking advantage of the existing water pump structure. This will *hopefully* allow for controlled flooding of the arena, while also allowing for the re-capture of aquatic fighters A.K.A. Agent Big Horn A.K.A. the whale-blade 9000 A.K.A. Our Aquatic Unicorn of Death. Which, I haven't checked on in a while

OH SHIT THE NARWHAL DIED?!?!

I have no idea what happened here, maybe it was stuffing it into a wooden cage and letting it roast on the beach for three years. Or maybe it was just a weakling and was destined for death. or maybe it burst through the cage and in a sad twist of fate crawled the wrong way and suffocated to death on that bloodthirsty red sand . . we will never know.
---

Oh, and the friendly neighborhood traveling circus arrived. . . just in time for our trading season. The leaves are turning orange and red, the air is getting colder, and the goblins are riding peregrine falcons. You know, usual fall things.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:28:00 pm by Salmeuk »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2021, 04:00:25 am »

We will need to train and practice breaching cell walls, find the best escape route, and prepare supplies and tools.
Why do I suddenly have Mission Impossible theme playing in my head?

About our pet narwhal: could it have just died of old age? They do live up to 50 years old though, so unlikely.

I must say I have never seen goblins bring so many various aboveground creatures to siege before. Is it mods or can it happen in vanilla?
Also, they have War Giant Keas? Prepare to have everything not nailed down stolen.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2021, 11:11:30 pm »

At first, we had no fear of the goblins, as despite their flying mounts they appeared to have broken pathfinding seem confused and unorganized. Then, to our horror, about 5 of the flying cavalry plunged over the walls and struck down our alpaca pair. These goblins were riding Giant Peregrine Falcons and Giant Peach-Faced Lovebirds, and the mixture of speed and size was terrifying to behold. At this point, we could no longer see outside the walls, but we recalled hearing a sudden and horrifying trumpeting from the other side. Screaming, too, and the sound of death. .

Our Aqua Guard arrived first, and swiftly defeated the marauding goblin riders. Their mounts proved untested in battle, and were quick to fall to our heavy iron maces.

The sounds outside continued, and from the dock we hear excited shouting. Some dwarves had seen something, from the top of our fish tower:

"The goblins! The goblins! They're throwing themselves into the sea and drowning!" And it was true! While I did not personally witness this event, it seems the goblins mounts were frightened by whatever was happening outside our front gate, and threw the riders into the deep ocean water. Almost every goblin drowned in the rip tide, excluding a single swimmer, who slowly swam off map over the course of the following two weeks.

--------

After some time, the fighting noise stalled and we decided to open the front gate. We had both squads at the ready.

remaining invaders at this point in the story:

Immediately, our troops were mobbed by the remaining goblins and their pouncing lynxes.

In true dwarven fashion, we utterly destroyed them and took no prisoners. Many . . . interesting methods of combat were noted by observers.

Captain Zultan even got a kill:

After this fight, we expected no more goblins to remain . . but then our forward scouts reported something strange. A gigantic polar bear, controlled by a mad goblin, had taken refuge at the top of an olive tree and was attacking any dwarf who came too near. Fearless, our squad rushed in:

Eral fell and died, with their chest torn open, but soon the bear was dragged down from the branches (it's goblin master, the weaker of the pair, was long dead at this point) and beaten to death. Thus the siege was over, our most dangerous attack yet, and it proved that Imic's Wall remained insufficient defense against the goblin's dark menagerie.

It was here we realized the true source of the goblin-drowning terror: a roaming pack of bull elephants happened upon the goblin troops. Being stupid goblins, they likely aggravated the beasts, and the slaughter must have been awful:

The four elephant corpses, stuck with arrows and spears, towered over the battlefield, and were surrounded by dead, mangled goblins and weapons and armor strewn about. A sacrifice was made here, but for who . . . ?

---

A forgotten beast arrived:

Luckily I leave the cavern gates closed. very much closed. . .

---

Fall passes with little to note, and then most of winter.

OOC: I will wrap this up this weekend. lotsa fighting. I almost considered releasing our friend the colossus but we have no easy way to trap it again, considering it can climb walls. The elephants aren't all that rare, so this isn't a miracle persay, but it was awfully convenient. And I've never seen anything like 10 drowning goblins before! insane

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2021, 01:53:50 pm »

This story inspired me to start my own lighthouse-fishing village-naval base themed fort, so thanks!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2021, 05:19:08 pm »

Overview at turn's end:

---

After being pestered by goblins and other foul creatures for the previous 6 months, it was a surprisingly quiet end to the year. More would have been accomplished but our dwarves found themselves stuck in an endless dumping loop, which I only noticed after a pile of about 300 items had formed in some random patch of dirt in our courtyard. I made sure to remove any other dumping zones, as they are labor traps of the worst variety.

The arena was completed, with about a month to spare. 8 golden statues of various aquatic creatures flank the dark stone bridge that leads into a golden, orthoclase-walled arena 4 z-levels high, with pronounced columns and deep blue kimberlite gates and completely sealed from the air.

Four gates control access to the two combatant chambers, as well as the combatant exit chamber that leads into a room full of cage traps. Here, any combatants will be captured for later use, assuming they aren't trap-avoid.

Of note is the arena's ability to fill and drain with water. While our water supply is a bit . . roundabout, it does the job, and should you wish to recreate the naumachiae of old Rome, all the tools are there to keep aquatic creatures alive.

This process does muddy up the nicely designed tiling on the floor - however, that was as much for myself as anyone else, and that will have to suffice.

Regarding the rest of the fortress, all chambers were finally equipped with both chest and drawers, and a large wavebreak was constructed and our graveyard was moved within our walls. The masonry will remain for future use, though it can easily be moved.

---

Finally, as a last bit of excitement, I decided to test the arena's functionality with a trial-by-combat: Furious vs. a poor goblin invader.

Ah, the trademark "punt into a nearby stationary object" move never gets old.

---

And so, my turn comes to an end. Imic is up next, I will PM. Here is the save, thanks for reading!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2021, 05:21:15 pm »

This story inspired me to start my own lighthouse-fishing village-naval base themed fort, so thanks!

I am glad! I love the detail Toady has put into the beach, with waves and driftwood, and I think the modifications made by QuQuasar to the spawn mechanics of fish make for a really enjoyable harvest-focused fortress.

There is nothing more fun than building walls to reclaim space from the incoming tides.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2021, 07:22:12 pm »

Is it my turn or Imics?
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2021, 09:00:12 pm »

Nicely done, Salmeuk.

Is it my turn or Imics?
I've updated the turn list. Looks like it's Imic next then Spriggans, and I'll put you down for the turn after that.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2021, 11:18:42 am »

Nice turn Sal ! That arena sure looks shiny !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2021, 09:22:33 am »

Whatever happened to the unofficial mascot?  I she still alive somewhere?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17