Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 29959 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2021, 12:08:37 pm »

Referring to our narwhal friend? So, her corpse just appeared in the refuse stockpile about halfway through my turn. I imagine she died of old age, which is unlucky, but considering she was held in a locked cage I can't imagine what else would have happened to her. Really sad honestly - I wanted whale on goblin fights.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2021, 12:18:35 pm »

Aw, that's a pity.  I didn't check her age when I bought her, but the lifespan is 40-50 years, so looks like we were just unlucky.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2021, 12:51:02 am »

Guess that means we need to get another big sea creature to be our mascot.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Jamotonous

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Leisure Fort Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2021, 05:18:55 am »

Damn.
If the woodcriers don't bring a nautical animal this turn Fishheads will have to go sans mascot for a while, unless we make-do with a filthy landlubber.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2021, 01:48:24 pm »

The elves had better come back, and replace their defective product, free of charge. Or else we will, um, continue to cut down all the trees on the map every few months, but like, even more violently, you know?

Furious Oil is pretty good mascot, and certainly more survivable than a whale. He is currently stashed in the arena.

Do we have a player confirmed?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2021, 12:18:23 pm »

Idk, IMIC is next. Dont know if they started or not
Waiting for them to post in there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:20:39 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2021, 04:52:59 pm »

Whoops, wasn't paying attention to the turn list.
I'm currently in the middle of a week-long turn for the Museum, so I'm going to have to apologise and request to be bumped down the list a little.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2021, 05:02:00 pm »

Okay.
Since I'm next in the list, guess I'll grab the save !
Expect an update monday

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2021, 08:24:41 am »

Grabbing the save...
... Save grabbed ! ;D

Now what to do with this fortress fishing village ? Let's see !

What a wonderful day ! Things are looking splendid !
The salty sea ! The harsh blowing wind ! The smell of fishies, and rotting algaes !

Except... I HATE ALL OF THIS ! >:(

Listen, I'm not the kind of dwarf who enjoy such things. Water, wind, nature, and above all, these wet fishes. They disgust me !
I am more of a earth dwarf. More focused on material stuffs. I like rocks, and gems, and things of great value. The squalid beings... Just not my thing !

I am Spriggans, the rock-miner !

[OOC : typo : "despiser"]

Yet here I am, in this slum hole by the sea. Having to endure the smell of fish, and the stupidity of the fisherdwarves.
Gaaahh, having to listen to this fishing "demonstration" ! Come on ! Don't teach ME how to fish ! You water drinker !

What am I doing here, you may ask ? I got appointed by the King Zuntir to "improve dwarven wealth". For reasons, he sent me to Fishheads !
I must somehow create wealth from this place, and I have one year to perform the mission the King gave me.
The mission is quite simple. As Zuntir and I both believe fishing to be a waste of time, we want to move Fishheads to the new area of efficient money-making fortress !

How ? See this spot ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, dwarven studies have revealed that it would be very profitable to dig there.
"It will be like [Olive] oil drilling, you know !" the scientists explained. Don't know what they meant by that...

Anyway, my goal is to dig right there, and just keep digging until we find something of value !
The King believes it will unlock a new era of dwarven profit.

The plan is simple, but I'm scared ! The Sea-Dwarves are strange, they have their own ways. They are not like us, Mountains-Dwarves...
Like... This !

An aquarium, full of twisted squalid mass ! Is it a Lovedwaft fortress or what ? Are we awakening the Kraken ?
Their militia is called "the Nautilus Guard", and are wielding... maces... I guess the crazy fish-lovers will protect the fishies with their lives !

Hoo, and also, there also was a huuuuge Narwhal, bigger than several elephants ! The kind of which a normal fortress would butcher for meat. Well, the fish-lovers raised him as their mascot !
Fortunately, this monstrosity died (of old age mind you ! OLD AGE !), but now, the whiners are requesting a new aquatic mascot...
Pleaaaase...

On the bright side, my drilling project will be easy will all these supplies, look at all these blocks !

OOC : the game lags for 3 full seconds while hovering that ;D

If I want to "drill the sea" efficiently, I will need to appease the fish-lovers.
That includes doing unpleasant things, like dealing with this mountain of raw fish :

I will also try to replacethe mascot, if at all possible.
I will expand the piers, and probably give the whales-lovers many new glass aquariums, so they can put swiming things in it...
(Which reminds me we don't have glass produced, I will have to remedy that)
I'll have to capture live fishs, and ghgaaa ! Just thinking of their slimeliness makes me go bbrrr !

But, under this "fish-friendly" facade, I will secretly work on the King's project.
Now, I will probably also make my personal quarters, very high up, far above the ocean, and its relentless noise and stinch.

Time to leave now, they are having another fishing "demonstration" :'(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:35:48 am by Spriggans »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2021, 05:26:49 pm »

I'm amazed at how many blocks we've consumed during the construction of this place. >3k gabbro, >2k quartzite are locked up in the walls. Luckily the small map size promotes good fps..

I love whoever originally set up those aquariums. I vote more aquariums, however it doesn't appear too likely with this Dish Fespiser running around the place. Erm, Fish Despiser.

Also, I kind of get the feeling a lot of magma is about to be displaced, assuming you are planning on sinking a mineshaft in the middle of 2z deep ocean water. brilliant

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2021, 06:53:34 pm »

I'm having a hard time trustin' the new overseer. He says he's a citizen of Fishheads, but he's a miner. A rockdwarf. A deep-downer. Why would a dwarf like that come out here when there's still plenty of work digging dark, cramped rooms back in the mountainhomes? Most likely he's a spy for the king.

I could overlook that, but it's worse than that. His eyes... there's somethin' wrong with his eyes. They lack the bulbousity, the watery glaze, the thousand-yard stare of a true beardfisher. And they both point in the same direction, what's up with that. Bastard probably thinks he's better than us just 'cos he's got stereoscopic vision and the mountainhomes happen to think he's useful for more than just hauling. Bah!

I've been far too complacent lately, content simply to catch squid and train the novices in the guild. I need to be lodging complaints, keeping the bastards honest, holding the powers that be to account! In fact, I'll start doing that immediately!

... after I'm done fishing.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2021, 04:15:16 am »

Ah, do I detect a "Dwarves of Innsmouth" type of vibe here?  I like that.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2021, 10:45:10 am »

Springgans' Sprig Spriggans' Spring report :

Today is the 1st of April. April-fools day, as the humans call it !
The stupid Fish-folks are celebrating this pagan ceremony by sticking dead fish on everyone's backs ! I almost puked because of all the rotting wet-carcasses... :-X
They are soooo annoying ! They are crude; they laugh loudly and swear a lot. But I guess their stupidity keeps them happy.

Anyway ! Today also marks the end of Spring, so I believe it is time to log some of my progress after 3 months.
Well, things go slower here than in the mountains, but I managed steady progress.

The first thing I did was establishing some proper, useful work orders. The sea-folks had none set before.

Mostly, making the required screw pumps for my project, as well as many mechanisms.
To appease the SeaGod lovers, I ordered some aquarium built.

After a few days, we started digging in two different locations :

At the first location, I took the pickaxe myself ! It was so nice to be back in the rocks !

At the second location, we dug stairs through the aquifer ! The fish-lovers were happy to dig with their feet in the water. It is important to keep them motivated.

While I was digging, a dwarf whined about a ghost haunting the bedrooms, and harrassing her children :

I asked her why did we not slabbed the ghost, to which she replied that is was because we have no engraver !

NO ENGRAVERS ! NONE ! This is un-heard of ! Come on Sea-folks !
I immediatly assigned 10 dorfs to stone smoothing, a labor EVERY fortress should have. The ghost got put to rest soon after.

After about a month into my "reign", the fish-folk friends, the elves showed up.

Sadly Thanksfully, they did not bring another Cyclopean monstrosity. The villagers won't have their replacement mascot.
They are starting to stir. They miss their huge Narwhal. But I don't have a replacement, yet.

I guess, I have an idea...

BOOM ! Here's your mascot.
This should appease their needs. Here, they can worship this un-natural being all they want.

Now, back to business :

The first location we dug is almost finished :

I have layed down some guidelines for channels, and paths for wooden axles.
It will be of no surprise that I will need Power for my grand project.
The sea-Dwarves may be brave, but dwarven strength alone won't be enough. I need electricity.
And what better way to provide Electricity in an ocean than water ?
Hence this room.

As for the second part of my project :

This "cinabar fishing spot", I call it in order to keep the sea-guys motivated, will in fact be the mighty Dwarven Drilling Device (or DDD for short).
It will consist of many pumps swallowing water outwards.
I have not yet found the heart to tell the villagers that they will not fish on it...

I decided to do something nice for the villlagers !
They were only using one fishery for the whole village, so I expanded the pier, and made them cozy little fishing grounds :

I also allowed them to catch some live fish, to put in the newly installed aquarium.
Quazar was very happy, bringing his new fish friend to the aquarium xD

So adorable. Like a little pet.

Summer is there ! Finally, the reactor has been linked to the DDD.

Neither the reactor, nor the DDD are ready yet, but soon, we will begin drilling...

OOC : yeah, turns out the whole fort only had ONE fishery !
Fisherdwarves would catch fishes faster than they could be cleaned !
Rotting fish were tossed on the ground (no miasma because outdoors). There was hundreds of rotten raw fish...
Having the food stockpiles did not help...
I believe we can safely export all our food to the caravan with the amont of seafood the Ocean gives us :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:08:59 am by Spriggans »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2021, 08:56:03 am »

Spriggans' summer time :

I'm so, so happy !
My projects are working perfectly ! I am making much needed progress !

First, the Cinnabar pier was looking promisingly close to completion !

Then, I kept the fisherdwarves occupied by asking them to fill up manually the Reactors.
They appeared pleased to play with the water, so that was okay.

A few months have passed.

The newly built glass terrariums got converted to aquariums.

The villagers mindlessly fill buckets with water, and pour them in the aquariums.
Then, they get to choose what they put in the boxes.
We have lots of aquatic fiends to put in these.

To this day, I still have a hard time figuring out where the "HorseshoeCrab Men" come from.
They share the same size as us dwarves, although they are broader.
Were they once dwarves who got converted by some forgotten ritual ?? Did they get punished ? Or worse, rewarded ?
Brrr ! These sea creatures repel me !

Well. I ordered the manager to have 50 aquariums built. This should keep the crafters busy.
The place is starting to get clustered with aquariums.
Hopefully, if they are laid down in high enough quantities, the fisherdwarves will put their sea beasts in the aquariums, and not leave them rottin' on the ground.
It feels better that way. Seeing fishes locked behind protective glass is reassuring.
Especially for this creature ! Thanks' Armok, it's trapped in a box !

Today, the Seafolks went crazy with water !
The little bucket hauling army has filled the whole Reactor in a matter of days ! They clearly have an affinity with water !
Look at it !

On the surface, the cinnabar DDD is ready !
But I'm worried, the villagers are starting to ask why we haven't used it yet for fishing...
I must hurry to drill the Sea, and hide deep down below, before they realise I'm not really a friend, and sacrifice me to their forsaken Sea Gods.

The safety gear assembly has been unplugged ! It is about time to start the Reactor !

First, let's activate the Reactor. To plug it, we first need to manually move the heavy wooden wheels.
It weights tons. Back in the capital, several dwarves are usually required for such a Herculean task.

But there in Fishheads, only TWO Sea-dwarves managed to start it ! The villagers are un-naturally Strong ! It is almost weird.
(OOC : A "tiny amount" of water spilled out. Might be problematic. Maybe the Reactor will soft-lock in the long term... We'll see)

Yes ! Anyway ! We got 2000 Urists of Electricity ! Should be plenty to drain this pesky Ocean !

One more pull of a lever to activate the DDD, and ...

It's working ! IT'S WORKING !!!

Quick ! Send some fish-lovers down there !
Build the walls ! Seal the water !

I did not trust my engineering skills enough to climb down, and build the sealing walls myself ! But, in the end, the fisherdwarves managed to block-off the ocean with no casualties.
I have to admit, the villagers showed tremendous courage for venturing onto the Ocean bedrock.

Their efforts prooved fruitfull !
We have now reached the bedrock !
I'm a bit worried waves and rain will fill back the drilled hole... It's almost like the Ocean is defending, and replenishes itself...
But we are getting somewhere !

Now ! I will hastily dig the fresh stone until something of value is found.
But... I don't feel so well. I feel like I must hurry.
I feel I'm being watched...

(OOC :
- 7x7 water drilling hole. Could have gone with a larger opening, but yay. That will do.

- why is the hole refilling ? Do I need walls ?

- in order to craft all the water wheels, the axles, and the fuel for the green glass production, I completely razed the surface of trees. There are none left. Do we have some historical business with the elves ?

Quote from: @Staalo
"Ah, do I detect a "Dwarves of Innsmouth" type of vibe here?"
I have not read that one book. But yeah, inspiration from the same author.
)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:50:09 am by Spriggans »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2021, 11:59:19 am »

Impressive engineering! Though, I was under the impression you would need to cross 2 z levels at that particular location in order to hit bedrock? So perhaps there is a small gap underneath the wall, causing it to refill?

Props on the aquariums, I like the idea we took one of the goblin crocodile mounts and stuck him in a glass cage, and now he's perfectly happy swimming around with the nautiluses ..
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17