Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Loop Hero  (Read 6944 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Loop Hero
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2021, 04:20:43 pm »

Are you doing basic farming runs or trying to go until you die?

Because I find it more effective to watch each run and see how it is going. If I'm not getting an amazing combo of high-end gear and good combat traits, it becomes a farming run where I go until about 75% or so of the boss bar and then ditch out at the next camp pass.

If I have a bad run where I'm struggling to get past the camp with less than 100% health, I often just end it early. Get whatever I can to build up the town and go back out.

Not ever run will be a winner, and you're better off cutting a run short than losing a bunch of what you collected dying. Especially stuff like furniture, which you will almost always lose if you head back away from camp or die.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2021, 04:27:19 pm »

I need some winning builds here, I keep seeing other people's but none of them work for me, I'm not sure if they're missing something out like their supplies or if I just get stupidly unlucky, like I tried Umiman's swamp+grove+spiders+vampire idea and all it does is nearly (or successfully) kill me every time I pass through.

Class, deck, stat priorities, supplies, buildings, method of placement, all that jazz.

I can tell you Rogue needs just two things: attack speed, and damage. You want to avoid any hard hitters; Flesh Golems and Wooden Warriors, for example. If you have Arsenal, it gives Rogue Necro's amulet, which translates to extra HP at start of every combat, further increasing survivability.

Outpost duders can help out in combat, too, and they even come over to bossfights. Speaking of bossfights: keep few Oblivions when Lich shows up and blow up his palace. The difference between having to deal with superpowered Lich and only-slightly-powered Lich is huge.

Because I find it more effective to watch each run and see how it is going. If I'm not getting an amazing combo of high-end gear and good combat traits, it becomes a farming run where I go until about 75% or so of the boss bar and then ditch out at the next camp pass.

Why not just go for full bar? There's nothing stopping you from retreating when you reach the incursion point.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2021, 04:36:53 pm »

Why not just go for full bar? There's nothing stopping you from retreating when you reach the incursion point.

Caution, really. Difficulty often ramps up on the last few loops, and if I don't have a great run going I risk dying before I can get back to the camp. I had one run with some great artifacts get lost because I pushed it too far. 75% on the bar seems to be a pretty safe marker point where I will nearly always be able to get back to camp after that point and get all the stuff out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2021, 07:56:09 pm »

I need some winning builds here, I keep seeing other people's but none of them work for me, I'm not sure if they're missing something out like their supplies or if I just get stupidly unlucky, like I tried Umiman's swamp+grove+spiders+vampire idea and all it does is nearly (or successfully) kill me every time I pass through.

Class, deck, stat priorities, supplies, buildings, method of placement, all that jazz.
You need turrets for Umiman's. Its not somethinf you do anywhere. You do it around your camp and with turrets built
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2021, 11:23:54 pm »

It takes a few tries, but I setup my farming runs centered around the thief, desert, and Arsenal. By the end, you want -99%hp from the desert, as a decent amount of +speed (100%+ is good), max evasion (all boots eventually become self-capping), +mHP from the Arsenal amulet which compensates for the -99%hp, and hit-all to kill everything immediately.

You want to avoid using any tiles that can spawn a ranged creature, or targets that have unusually high evade rates (mosquitos, I'm looking at you...), since if you manage to exhaust your 'stamina' before landing a hit, you're probably going to die at high loop values.

If you don't mind a slower, but easier to assemble farmer-- Necro with Residual Heat and Laying Down Ones Life, and Rivers+Thickets. You'll probably want to use Suburbs to bring it online faster. Target +S.quant>+mHP>+speed>+S.qual>+S.lvl; aim for speed>300 and qual>30.

Alternatively, just cover the road with streetlights and sprint around on ruins until you get bored.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:59:28 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2021, 03:42:18 pm »

I meant a winning build, not a grinding one. I can do grinding well enough for now, even if orbs of expansion and food (Why does that one watchtower upgrade take 32 rations!?) are a bit of a bugger to get, but on that last level I can't get beyond the hunter, even with good loot and an absurdly high attack speed from rivers+thickets.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2021, 03:46:29 pm »

This looks really cool.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2021, 11:57:16 am »

Rogue + arsenal is good.

Then combo with desert and trees.

This is because desert doesn't reduce temp hp from the magic shield, only regular HP.

So everything becomes oneshottable, but you still have lots of magic shield.

Trees for lots of attack speed.

Get the companion wolf to tank hits and help kill.

Put two outposts on the campfire to help with bosses. Again, to tank hits.

Should net you some wins.

Don't bother with battlefields for rogues. It's because at the later chapters, the abominations can't die without attacking. So you're guaranteed to take big damage. Not to mention Rogue don't really get anything from chests anyway.

--------

But yeah, sorry if I wasn't too clear. My bad. To do the big enemy stacking of swamps + vampire + spiders, you need to do it near campfire and have your archers help. Or outposts.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2021, 01:40:10 pm »

My friend gifted me this game. Tbh I thought it looked and sounded boring, just going in a loop over and over...

Well its actually really addicting and a lot of fun. Guess dont judge a book by its cover :P

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:13 pm »

My friend gifted me this game. Tbh I thought it looked and sounded boring, just going in a loop over and over...

Well its actually really addicting and a lot of fun. Guess dont judge a book by its cover :P

I call it 'One More Loop Syndrome' :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2021, 06:47:57 pm »

This game must be quite something. Among my friends who play these kinds of games, everyone has been playing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2021, 07:45:48 pm »

Its nice. But short and not very replayable.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2021, 08:27:41 pm »

I basically spent 10 hours on it, then cranked up the speed to about 10x and then tried to break the mechanics because, frankly, the core gameplay is... Kinda boring?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2021, 09:16:01 pm »

Problem is that there's not much gameplay. Hence it gets old fast.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2021, 01:48:43 pm »

Perhaps, but there's something to be said for the unlocking of new resources and developing a greater understanding of the mechanics and interacting effects.

Plus, for me, the art direction is worth plenty of attention all on its own. It can be a kind of springboard for ideas about how to design areas and encounters in an RPG, for example.

I managed to 100% the game (thus far, there are some new content updates coming) in around 90 hours, and I've taken a bit of a break as such. Currently highest loop number was 44, and that ended up running very late into the night... I'd kinda need to start the game early in the day in order to keep it running for a super long time.

Also beat the secret dev fight with each character. Got pretty gnarly on a couple attempts. Haven't done frogboy yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4