Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - D1 - Bloodless Town Victory  (Read 19344 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - Signups & Gamebreaking Phase - [4/?]
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 08:53:24 pm »

Merchants may accumulate gold. The only use for gold is the Cash Out ability.
I don't see a Cash Out ability listed?

18. Corrupt (you may only use [VILE] and [DEADLY] abilities...
19. Tricksome (you may only use [TWISTY] and [WARPING] abilities...
It would seem to be relatively rare, but would a combo of Corrupt and Tricksome limit the player to abilities that satisfy BOTH conditions, or EITHER condition?

5 - Spotlight [ENLIGHTENING][UNTARGETED] (Every ability has a 50% chance of being public this night)
[PUBLIC]: If an ability is public, there will be an action report declaring who targetted whom, though it won't say what the action was.
2. Blatant (all your actions become Public)
Do [UNTARGETED] abilities get a public report, e.g. "So-and-so targeted nobody"? I don't see an ability with both tags by default, but as shown they could (should?) be subject to publication effects.

Rolling the same flaw twice leaves you with no additional flaw.
14. Afflicted (at the end of each cycle, you gain 1 additional unique flaw)
I would predict that most non-Afflicted players will only roll for one or two flaws (the typical length of games around here makes developing multiple professions to beyond level 3 prohibitive) and the rerolling rule offers an additional small protection on the second roll. If the word 'unique' in the rule for Afflicted means the reroll protection is lost, this could be a (even more) serious disadvantage to any player that receives it at character creation. If this risk is intended, okay, but it would be good to be clear now so that players can quantify that risk properly.

Also: It looks like 'cycle' generally means Day-Night (Cycle 1 = D1+N1, etc.). Profession levels – and thus flaws for level 3 – are chosen at end of Day. Does Afflicted grant a flaw at the end of night in the same cycle it is picked up, at the end of each following day, or the end of night starting on following cycles?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 09:15:27 pm »

Merchants may accumulate gold. The only use for gold is the Cash Out ability.
I don't see a Cash Out ability listed?
Good spot. That was an ability in an earlier version of these rules. I've amended it to "Investment".

18. Corrupt (you may only use [VILE] and [DEADLY] abilities...
19. Tricksome (you may only use [TWISTY] and [WARPING] abilities...
It would seem to be relatively rare, but would a combo of Corrupt and Tricksome limit the player to abilities that satisfy BOTH conditions, or EITHER condition?
Both, like Raise Zombie and Bodyswap.

5 - Spotlight [ENLIGHTENING][UNTARGETED] (Every ability has a 50% chance of being public this night)
[PUBLIC]: If an ability is public, there will be an action report declaring who targeted whom, though it won't say what the action was.
2. Blatant (all your actions become Public)
Do [UNTARGETED] abilities get a public report, e.g. "So-and-so targeted nobody"? I don't see an ability with both tags by default, but as shown they could (should?) be subject to publication effects.
Good question. I'm ruling that Untargeted public abilities would give an action report.

Rolling the same flaw twice leaves you with no additional flaw.
14. Afflicted (at the end of each cycle, you gain 1 additional unique flaw)
I would predict that most non-Afflicted players will only roll for one or two flaws (the typical length of games around here makes developing multiple professions to beyond level 3 prohibitive) and the rerolling rule offers an additional small protection on the second roll. If the word 'unique' in the rule for Afflicted means the reroll protection is lost, this could be a (even more) serious disadvantage to any player that receives it at character creation. If this risk is intended, okay, but it would be good to be clear now so that players can quantify that risk properly.
I can see that's ambiguous. You would still get the protection with afflicted, meaning getting the same flaw a second time wouldn't reroll it. Similarly, a Vulture player can't get a working copy of the first flaw that they ignore.

Also: It looks like 'cycle' generally means Day-Night (Cycle 1 = D1+N1, etc.). Profession levels – and thus flaws for level 3 – are chosen at end of Day. Does Afflicted grant a flaw at the end of night in the same cycle it is picked up, at the end of each following day, or the end of night starting on following cycles?
I've changed the wording to make it clearer. You get the new flaw at the end of the same night you get Afflicted. i.e. A player picks 3rd level Flaw at the end of D2, they get Afflicted, that night they're free to act however, then at the end of the night they find out what new flaw they have.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 09:19:09 pm »

Luckyowl
Inito
Don't forget to send me your character creation picks, otherwise I'll give you something random.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - Signups & Gamebreaking Phase - [6/?]
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 09:22:55 pm »

You think Lylowl needs the handicap the rest of us share of picking their character? They'll get what they want regardless.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 09:25:25 pm »

Those who lynch by the coin, die by the coin.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 09:55:42 pm »

IN. I have no game breaking conspiracies. ;D

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 10:04:21 pm »

Please tell me someone else is picking parakeetin.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 10:06:44 pm »

Luckyowl
Inito
Don't forget to send me your character creation picks, otherwise I'll give you something random.

eh, flip a coin for me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 10:20:15 pm »

Please tell me someone else is picking parakeetin.
Absolutely. I don't see the problem with every player in the game sharing their abilities.

If there's only one Parakeetin (somehow) does the chosen player have to become an honorary Parakeetin? Does the honorary Parakeetin share their abilities as well?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 10:32:54 pm »

If there's only one Parakeetin (somehow) does the chosen player have to become an honorary Parakeetin? Does the honorary Parakeetin share their abilities as well?
Yes, being honorary is obligatory. The honorary parakeetkin acts just like a normal parakeetkin, so can use the real parakeetkin's abilities and vice versa. I've updated the OP clarifying how ability use conflicts are handled.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - Signups & Gamebreaking Phase - [7/?]
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 04:38:58 am »

Does being parakeetkin mean that all your abilities are public to the other parakeetkins?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 04:53:12 am »

No, you don't have to divulge your abilities, though if they guess the other parakeetkin could use them. I anticipate a certain amount of cooperation among the kind of people who would pick those roles though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:03:00 am by notquitethere »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2021, 05:08:12 am »

No, you don't have to divulge your abilities, though if they guess the other parakeetkin could use them.

Including the mafiakill? :D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 10:34:54 am »

Couldn't you list off every ability in the game and see what works?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 10:38:59 am »

No, you don't have to divulge your abilities, though if they guess the other parakeetkin could use them.

Including the mafiakill? :D
Rules as written, though it'd only work in those edge cases when mafia don't use their mafiakill. Uh maybe I should disallow that?

Couldn't you list off every ability in the game and see what works?
I mean, if you had a spare 50 nights or so to try them all, sure. If some smart alec sent me a list of every ability in the game, I'd just pick the last one they listed as their actual action.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21