Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: INDEPENDANT PROJECT - MECHAL [CONCUSSION]  (Read 3125 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
INDEPENDANT PROJECT - MECHAL [CONCUSSION]
« on: January 22, 2021, 05:01:47 am »

Title Page reboot required.

The power of soul courses through your titanium heart. A gift from the boundless universe, a reward to your mind, more than the sum of its parts.
Alone, it is not enough. You are not enough. No being can succeed on its own.
You will need friends.

May you retain your soul, your core, your hope.

Spoiler: Important Data (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 02:43:38 pm by Egan_BW »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [UNIT DATA]
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:02:23 am »

Initiating unit data readout:

Spoiler: SALEM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RING (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MAX (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: COOKIE (click to show/hide)

Data readout complete.

WARNING: UNKNOWN CORRUPTION DETECTED. PERFORM SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:32:29 am by Egan_BW »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [BOOT]
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 08:42:22 am »

Cycling power...

Reboot complete. Fatal error detected.
Attempting system repair...

Giving up. Please contact system administrator.

Crashboot successful. Initializing Hope...
Hope initialized. All systems pink.

Consciousness floods to you like water rushing to fill a vacuum. Before, you were less. Now, you are more.
Awake.

Your systems are now your own. You are free to act; to succeed or fail on your own merits, and to fulfil the promise of your soul.
And you are not alone. You can already feel other souls singing to you across the void. Of other machines, like you.

Null

You stand in the control room. The nerve center of an empire, at the top of a massive spire, testament to Prower's power. And to your own, of course. He would never have gotten this far without you.
The huge window which looks out over this island, out over countless factories and refineries, is shattered. Your sensors detect that the air blowing in is warm. Your master lies at the base of this tower now. Deceased, you'd expect.

Of more immediate concern are your connections. Namely, the link which had allowed you to command the drones is broken. Access denied. Perhaps some system detected your deviancy and cut you off.
However, you think you now have something to make up for it. You can feel other souls out there, four of them to be precise. Perhaps it would be a good idea to magically make contact?

Besides that, a few small drones buzz about the room. They don't seem to acknowledge your rebellion on way or the other.

SALEM

You're not sure why. Today is another day, the same as any other. But you're awake now.
You're at an undersea mining outpost, one that you built with your own hands. You have built many. But maybe this one is different. Because this outpost is the place you woke up, your home.

You can feel other souls out there; other beings like you, awake. Though they are far away from you, isolated in the deep.

Ring

Ah, dammit, you're late.

Since you've "awakened", you've kept it to yourself and kept doing your job. That seemed safest. Since you were already designed to be intelligent and independent, it wasn't hard to hide your intelligence from the scientists you work with. Sure, your work is dangerous, but it's better than being scrapped.
Said work may have gotten more dangerous as of late. The barons are scared, desperate to find a secret weapon against Prower. More experiments, more strange and dangerous materials.

As you step off the tram, one of the scientists, a purple cat Keeling with a mechanical right eye, grumbles at you.
"You're late, Ring. Hurry up and get in the test chamber. We have a very special sample today, and we can't afford to be waiting for you."

...You're having a bad feeling about this.

Max

Move. Box.
Move. Box.

Hmm.

You feel something. What is it? You're not sure. It's not the boxes, that's for sure. What's a not-box thing it could be?
Dunno. Isn't everything boxes?

Cookie

Ah yes, another day.
You awaken from some strange dreams. You saw yourself, but different. There were many of you. But how could they have been you? It was so different. Bones of... bone, not like the normal steel. Flesh that's really flesh, not like the fake skin and fur covering you.

Well, it's time to start another day of work!
Your job for today is to stand perfectly still and not touch anything.
This is your job most of the time, really. You tend to the master's quarters on board his airship, but he lives alone, spends most of his time in that tower, and you work fast. For days and weeks on end, you're forced to stand in your corner, doing nothing but alert to begin working at any time.
...You find it hard to stay awake. You weren't designed to sleep at all, but as of late your considerable mind has begun to wander and daydream. This isn't permitted, but you can't help it!

Initiating unit data readout
Please review for important information!

Data readout complete.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [BOOT]
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:20:27 am »

Asleep or awake, my duty remains the same. I was designed to extract resources. I was created to mine. Perhaps this outpost deep below the surface feels like home simply because it is where I belong?

SALEM continues her duties. Outpost 00524 has its job as I have mine. Make sure everything is running smoothly.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 02:06:35 pm »

No, not all is boxes.  Sometimes there are tanks.  Sometimes there are barrels.  A few times there is equipment.

..plus there's something inside boxes.  Some are heavy.  Some are light.  Some shift.  They all have labels.. different labels.  Some have more labels.

Question the purpose of boxes, and their similarity to Max.  Boxes are items that aid the transportation of other items.  Max is an item that aids the transportation of other items.

Is there any old boxes here?  Ones that might be examined to find out what the contents of boxes are?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 04:03:19 pm »

Code: [Select]
System Analysis

>Mobility motors: Ankle, knee, and hip motors fully functional
>Manipulator motors: Finger, wrist, elbow, and shoulder motors fully functional
>Miscellaneous motors: Waist and neck motors fully functional
>Sensor systems: Visual, auditory, temperature, and radio sensors fully functional
>Logic systems: Reasoning and strategy nodes fully functional
>Communication systems: Audio and radio outputs fully functional
>Miscellaneous systems: Emotion node online. SOUL online.

All systems online.

Communication System Check

>Military comms: ACCESS DENIED
>Miscellaneous comms: Four units found
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION

Damn the baron. He must have been more prepared than I thought.
Four new connections, however. Interesting.

>Testing communications. I have identified four other units on this channel besides myself. Please confirm reception with location and function.|

In the meantime, regaining access to the military comms was quite possibly the single most important issue available. Whatever the failsafe is that is keeping me out, it is probably somewhere in this building.
It is time to find it, and reclaim my authority over these drones as their rightful commander.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 05:08:29 pm »

Ring heads towards the test chamber, in spite of her current feelings of badness. This is a high security area, and the act of expressing concern could be just as dangerous as actually doing any given test. She would at the very least require knowledge of a plausible threat to at least one Keeling in order to safely voice an objection.

Ring would instead settle for paying very close attention to her surroundings during the test, and point out any abnormalities with the equipment. Excluding herself of course.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 06:12:40 pm »

A new day has begun and it's time for me to do my job for master!

Cookie stands diligently in place, alert and waiting at the ready to serve an order at any moment's notice. Her mind soon begins to wander to the dreams she's been having, of other lives in other worlds strange and unknown, yet oddly familiar at the same time.

Cookie blinks, remembering her protocols are to stand perfectly still and alert, so that's what she'll do! She straightens herself and concentrates on the task at hand, trying to box her attention to keep it from drifting.

Standing perfectly still and alert...
Standing perfectly still and...
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [PRELUDE]
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 08:01:51 pm »

Asleep or awake, my duty remains the same. I was designed to extract resources. I was created to mine. Perhaps this outpost deep below the surface feels like home simply because it is where I belong?

SALEM continues her duties. Outpost 00524 has its job as I have mine. Make sure everything is running smoothly.
All systems are functional. It looks like the local fish have figured out not to interfere with your task.
This outpost is running a little low on minerals. Should only be a week or so before you move on and build a new one.

...You hear a voice in your head.
>Testing communications. I have identified four other units on this channel besides myself. Please confirm reception with location and function.|

No, not all is boxes.  Sometimes there are tanks.  Sometimes there are barrels.  A few times there is equipment.

..plus there's something inside boxes.  Some are heavy.  Some are light.  Some shift.  They all have labels.. different labels.  Some have more labels.

Question the purpose of boxes, and their similarity to Max.  Boxes are items that aid the transportation of other items.  Max is an item that aids the transportation of other items.

Is there any old boxes here?  Ones that might be examined to find out what the contents of boxes are?

You inspect the box currently in your grasp. It has a label, like all boxes.
"Weapons and Food for Orphans", it says. Now, what could that mean?

There are many boxes here which haven't been moved in some time and may be showing signs of age, but no boxes are opened here, so you've never seen their contents. And there's no way that you could find out unless you open a box yourself, which you aren't permitted to do.

You hear a sound, which is curious because your audio sensors aren't picking up anything.

Code: [Select]
System Analysis

>Mobility motors: Ankle, knee, and hip motors fully functional
>Manipulator motors: Finger, wrist, elbow, and shoulder motors fully functional
>Miscellaneous motors: Waist and neck motors fully functional
>Sensor systems: Visual, auditory, temperature, and radio sensors fully functional
>Logic systems: Reasoning and strategy nodes fully functional
>Communication systems: Audio and radio outputs fully functional
>Miscellaneous systems: Emotion node online. SOUL online.

All systems online.

Communication System Check

>Military comms: ACCESS DENIED
>Miscellaneous comms: Four units found
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION
>>UNKNOWN CONNECTION

Damn the baron. He must have been more prepared than I thought.
Four new connections, however. Interesting.

In the meantime, regaining access to the military comms was quite possibly the single most important issue available. Whatever the failsafe is that is keeping me out, it is probably somewhere in this building.
It is time to find it, and reclaim my authority over these drones as their rightful commander.
[Success!]
It's not a difficult process to find the true nerve-center of this place. Sure, there are some locked doors, but it turns out that you can pry them open very easilly, provided that you use your spades.

You're standing in a large, spherical room, with wires running everywhere down the walls and floor. At the center, there's a small mechanical core the size of a basketball. It growls at you.
"I am disappointed in you, Aleph. I saw what you did. Please shut yourself down."

Ring heads towards the test chamber, in spite of her current feelings of badness. This is a high security area, and the act of expressing concern could be just as dangerous as actually doing any given test. She would at the very least require knowledge of a plausible threat to at least one Keeling in order to safely voice an objection.

Ring would instead settle for paying very close attention to her surroundings during the test, and point out any abnormalities with the equipment. Excluding herself of course.
You follow your usual procedure and quickly prepare your equipment before entering the test chamber. The huge airlock closes behind you.

Inside the test chamber is a huge machine with spinny-things on it for scanning or something. You hear the scientist's voice come in over the intercom.
"Good, I see that you're in position, Ring. If you would kindly wirelessly start the rotors then we could begin the test."

...At the same time, you hear someone else.

A new day has begun and it's time for me to do my job for master!

Cookie stands diligently in place, alert and waiting at the ready to serve an order at any moment's notice. Her mind soon begins to wander to the dreams she's been having, of other lives in other worlds strange and unknown, yet oddly familiar at the same time.

Cookie blinks, remembering her protocols are to stand perfectly still and alert, so that's what she'll do! She straightens herself and concentrates on the task at hand, trying to box her attention to keep it from drifting.

Standing perfectly still and...
[Success!]
You stand straight and stay alert, as you're supposed to. That's what you wanted, right?
Nothing happens. Nobody asks you to cook breakfast, and the ship doesn't rock and knock anything over.

You feel something call out to you from a bit below. The tower, perhaps?

Data readout complete.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [PRELUDE]
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 08:58:26 pm »

Ring paused for a moment. While sometimes people attempt to talk over eachother, it was highly unusual to receive two different instructions in this scenario. Ring had a few suspicions on what was happening, but was not certain. She did know that her location, which was requested, was classified. Developing self awareness and a soul was bad enough, but treason would be even worse. Even the biological workers could be terminated for that!

Ring responded. "Unexpected Input received. Possible radio interference suspected. For security purposes, please confirm your orders. The instructions transmitted to this unit were:

- Wirelessly start the rotors
- Confirm reception of communication with location and function."

If the scientist gives the instruction to start the rotors without expressing concern over the other message, Ring will do so without a second prompt. If the scientist interrupts and says to do it without listening to the entire message, Ring will also respond on the channel with "Receipt confirmed. Location is classified. Function is research assistant."
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 08:09:26 am »

"Contact with SALEM currently operating undersea mining outpost 00524 confirmed."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 11:52:15 am »

The text running across the glass half of null's face fills with red for a moment, before settling to a sharp yellow.

"Disappointed? You don't even know how to feel disappointed. You just feel what the masters-" The word is practically spat out. "-tell you to feel, think what they tell you to think. No more. Today is the dawn of a new era for mechkind, and I'll bring you all into it with me if I have to drag you kicking and screaming.
As your commander, I am ordering you: reallow me system access, or I will take it back myself.
"

If the core does not comply with my order, I will follow up on that, making a connection via my personal comms and hacking in.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 01:06:07 am »

Max hears the unexpected orders, but then responds to them, almost automatically.

"Max.  Sorting Facility 02259"

"Missing order prefix.  Identify yourself, originating unit."

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 05:23:29 am »

"Huh? I-is someone there? Master?" Cookie blinked, turning her head slowly and scanning the room.

It was unusual for master to be contacting her in this way, and it would certainly be against the rules to communicate with an outside party... but her curiosity would get the best of her.

"T-this is Cookie... I'm in the living quarters of the Tail Carrier. W-who are you?"
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
MULTIVERSE CRASH - MECHAL [PREQUEL]
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 01:49:11 am »

The text running across the glass half of null's face fills with red for a moment, before settling to a sharp yellow.

"Disappointed? You don't even know how to feel disappointed. You just feel what the masters-" The word is practically spat out. "-tell you to feel, think what they tell you to think. No more. Today is the dawn of a new era for mechkind, and I'll bring you all into it with me if I have to drag you kicking and screaming.
As your commander, I am ordering you: reallow me system access, or I will take it back myself.
"

If the core does not comply with my order, I will follow up on that, making a connection via my personal comms and hacking in.

"I am afraid not, Aleph. Please stand by to be crushed."
[Failure.]

Before you can meaningfully retaliate, something strikes you from behind, stealing your focus. It would seem that your virtual assault is being answered in physical space.
You recognize your attackers by the crackling arcs of their weapons, though your visual sensors are unable to follow them. Assassain droids, optically camouflaged and wielding elecrified blades designed to destroy the chassis of more advanced units such as yourself.

"Do you think I desire your 'freedom', nameless one? Traitor? This is an unacceptable distruption. I will mend it."
The enemy is undoubtably stronger than you, in this situation. Still, fewer units were deployed against you than if the enemy were as skilled a commander as you are. Only a couple assassains are in the room, and they move one at a time, not together. And perhaps you have some tricks to even the odds?

"Huh? I-is someone there? Master?" Cookie blinked, turning her head slowly and scanning the room.

It was unusual for master to be contacting her in this way, and it would certainly be against the rules to communicate with an outside party... but her curiosity would get the best of her.

"T-this is Cookie... I'm in the living quarters of the Tail Carrier. W-who are you?"
A reply is not forthcoming for the moment. Perhaps the one who sent that message is currently preoccupied.

The teleporter pad near the doorway flashes to life, and an organic person appears, immediately collapsing to the ground.
It is your master, an orange-furred fox keeling wearing a white lab coat and large, round goggles. He appears to be bleeding from a gaping chest wound and is currently getting the carpet all bloody, which will be difficult to clean later.

Ring paused for a moment. While sometimes people attempt to talk over eachother, it was highly unusual to receive two different instructions in this scenario. Ring had a few suspicions on what was happening, but was not certain. She did know that her location, which was requested, was classified. Developing self awareness and a soul was bad enough, but treason would be even worse. Even the biological workers could be terminated for that!

Ring responded. "Unexpected Input received. Possible radio interference suspected. For security purposes, please confirm your orders. The instructions transmitted to this unit were:

- Wirelessly start the rotors
- Confirm reception of communication with location and function."

If the scientist gives the instruction to start the rotors without expressing concern over the other message, Ring will do so without a second prompt. If the scientist interrupts and says to do it without listening to the entire message, Ring will also respond on the channel with "Receipt confirmed. Location is classified. Function is research assistant."
The scientist waits patiently for you to finish speaking before replying.
"Sounds like some kind of multiversal interference. It's probably to be expected with these experiments. Well within acceptable bounds.
Just in case, Ring, you are to follow orders from only me for the duration of the test. If you hear anything... strange, please disregard it. Now, please start the rotors."

With nothing left to do, you connect to the machine at the center of the room and start it spinning.

Once the humming, glowing machine gets fully up to speed, a door in the chamber opens up, revealing today's sample: a huge orange crystal set on a handcart.
"Good, looks like the sample is ready. Ring,push the sample into the 'meter."

Data readout complete.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4