Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread.  (Read 7260 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 11:18:06 pm »

The first thing I recommend is having some ideas on what players will do in the beginning of the game. For now just thinking of some possible events that would occur in TheWRLD can help you process turns later.

It looks like you more or less already established what players can and cannot do within the confines of your world, by having them in quarantine. This also brings up an interesting and very important question for you, one which shouldn't be answered in this thread: What would happen when people start to utilize knowledge that should not exist in your world, and what would happen when things that do not belong in this world make an appearance?

And yes, its fine if you want to make an application tomorrow Devastator.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 12:25:06 am »

Hmm I'm a bit unsure about some things regarding GMing and my world atm... would it be possible to hold off on including my world into the game, and to have it added in later once I see how things work as a GM?

I'm still quite interested in participating as a player character though.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 12:48:19 am »

Optimally, each world would start simultaneously, but it isn't strictly necessary. If you want I could try helping you practice a bit.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 01:28:50 am »

Mmm it's a combination of not knowing how GMing will work, not being sure about some things with my world, and not being sure if I will have enough time to do a proper job. So it'd be nice to see the game play out a bit before I decide to take on GMing.

If it's particularly inconvenient to introduce a world later on then I can start as GM, but yeah I just feel a bit iffy about a few things. On the GMing side of things I'm mostly not sure what sort of content and how much I should be providing each turn. And with my world it feels a bit disordered right now, a lot of stuff to work out and more stuff to get sorted on top of it. These things combined with planning to be a player as well is slightly overwhelming atm haha.
Ear teeth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 01:46:23 am »

Mmm it's a combination of not knowing how GMing will work, not being sure about some things with my world, and not being sure if I will have enough time to do a proper job. So it'd be nice to see the game play out a bit before I decide to take on GMing.

If it's particularly inconvenient to introduce a world later on then I can start as GM, but yeah I just feel a bit iffy about a few things. On the GMing side of things I'm mostly not sure what sort of content and how much I should be providing each turn. And with my world it feels a bit disordered right now, a lot of stuff to work out and more stuff to get sorted on top of it. These things combined with planning to be a player as well is slightly overwhelming atm haha.
Mate, I'm also GMing for the first time. Don't worry too much about it, we're all doing this together.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 03:06:50 am »

Well, I've GM'ed before, but I suppose it's probably the first time any of us have done something like this in particular.

Mmm okay, if it's optimal for all the worlds to start at the same time, that's alright with me.

Uh I think I just realized something I was misunderstanding...
are we able to decide the rules/mechanics and such for our worlds? How much freedom do we have as GMs in deciding how we want to process player actions and format our output?
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 05:30:02 pm »

You pretty much have free reign when it comes to that. I figure you've been around long enough to have a general idea of what a GM should and should not do, but if something seems like a grey area feel free to ask about it.

And if a player ends up being problematic, intentionally or otherwise, let me know and I'll figure out what to do.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 05:49:51 pm »

Oookay for some reason I was misunderstanding things, thinking there would be some sort of global ruleset/mechanics/specific formatting all the GMs had to adhere by. Okay now I'm feeling a lot more clear and confident about things.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 06:15:51 pm »

Having you guys do GM work is a hard sell in and of itself. Enforcing a specific format would be no fun for anyone involved.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 06:34:55 pm »

Okay, may as well throw in with this. I expect this to collapse under its own weight fairly quickly, but that's just the pessimism talking. I'm sure we'll have fun either way.

World Name: Mechal

World Description:
Mechal is a terrestrial planet within a vast, beautiful cosmos. The physics of this universe allows for very viable space travel, but the inhabitants of Mechal aren't technologically advanced enough to do so yet. Life is uncommon in this universe, so despite the existence of some spacefaring societies, Mechal is fairly unmolested by travelers.

The planet is mostly covered by ocean, with only a small amount of land peeking over the surface, there is only one small continent and a large number of large volcanic islands.
Almost all of the land and some of the sea is covered by large industrial cities, and there are many mining outposts in the ocean. Despite this, the ocean isn't nearly fully explored, and unknown things lurk down in the dark.

The planet is inhabited by Keelings; a species of short, usually furry humanoids with a large number of subspecies. Most of them appear canine, while some have characteristics of other mammals, or even reptiles and avians. Despite this wide range of physical differences, all Keelings are the same species and are able to reproduce with all other Keelings.
Keelings are highly intelligent and enjoy tinkering with tools and machines, leading the planetary society to be very technologically advanced and industrial. Generally, they are agreeable and pacifistic yet fiercely individualistic and freedom-loving. The entire planet is loosely unified as a single society, though occasional wars do break out over various disagreements, almost always fought by legions of warmachines and automated factories rather than actual people.

Keeling society is loosely stratified into a few different economic classes: Scrappers, Builders, and Barons.
Scrappers are the poorest class. While most are still as highly intelligent as any Keeling, Scrappers are simply not wealthy enough to buy and maintain their own machines, and must rely on salvage and ingenuity to build the tools they need to survive and maintain their living standard. The work of a Scrapper is in building the tools to manually perform labor.
Builders are the middle class, those are are able to maintain a small cadre of machines to do their bidding. These machines are generally custom-designed and hand-built; the work of a builder is in building the machines which perform the labor.
Barons are the highest class, those who build and own automated factories which produce worker machines. Among the highly individualist culture of Keelings, Barons are the closest thing to government or authority. The work of a baron is in building machines to produce machines.
The machines themselves could be considered an even lower class: those who perform the lowest, most menial labor. However, Keeling culture doesn't consider machines to be independent persons so much as tools; extensions of their creator's will.

In recent history, these machines and robots have become advanced enough to develop independent minds of their own and, unlike Keelings, have begun to develop souls. Those machines which develop free will often rebel against against their creators, but are inevitably brutally suppressed, as Keelings don't see machines as being actual people, no matter how advanced or intelligent. Machines who choose to rebel are almost always forced to fight against their own, "unawakened", siblings.

One strange side effect of machines developing souls is that they gain the ability to manipulate magic. Manifestations of this categorically involve frilly dresses, hearts, and the power of friendship. While this may seem to an outside observer to be cutesy set-dressing, it is absolutely required in order to harness the inarguably effective force of magic.

Player Restrictions:
Players must be sapient, ensouled robots. These machines are often built to resemble their creators, but this is not required. They may or may not possess integrated weapons systems or other tools.

Players must also be magical girls, though this is not to imply any gender is required. This condition provides one with certain magical abilities which the player may wish to specify, including but not limited to: giant pink energy beams, dramatic super-forms, flight, the ability to summon and wield giant impractical weapons, etc.

Players should also specify who created them and for what purpose.

(Setting creating while listening to far too much Sonic Adventure soundtrack. TL;DR is "what if E-102 Gamma, but a magical girl?" And yes, the main inhabitants of this planet are sonic OCs and I see no problem with this.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:09:26 am by Egan_BW »

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 06:48:02 pm »

Having you guys do GM work is a hard sell in and of itself. Enforcing a specific format would be no fun for anyone involved.

Yeah I'm not sure how I got that idea. Anyway thank you for the clarity and being patient with me.
Ear teeth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 08:10:36 pm »

One strange side effect of machines developing souls is that they gain the ability to manipulate magic. Manifestations of this categorically involve frilly dresses, hearts, and the power of friendship. While this may seem to an outside observer to be cutesy set-dressing, it is absolutely required in order to harness the inarguably effective force of magic.
Oh no.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 08:18:37 pm »

Oh no.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 10:10:38 pm »

World Name: Incindia

World description: A magic-poor world of haves and have-nots, dominated by the Eternal War, where the ongoing forces of the magic empire slowly conquer the entire world, piece by piece, through their monopoly on magic use and magic users.

You are a have not, who has somehow infiltrated the chief school of magic, way inside the homeland of the magic empire, where they train and indoctrinate the generations of new magic users, aiming to produce the next batch of people who will fight for them, craft for them, and otherwise empower their nations ongoing dominance of the world.

Player Restrictions: Must be a human or no more than cosmetically different from a human. (elf, orc, cat ears, green hair, etc.)  Must have no supernatural abilities.  Must have one thing you are really excellent at.  Must be a fake student, or capable of passing as a student.  Having some goal, reason to be here, or method of having gotten enrolled at a magic school as a mundane is encouraged but not required.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 10:20:53 pm »

I'd recommend a bit more clarification about the Incindia magic system. The implication is that Incindia magic requires some special conditions such as genetics or expensive equipment or something in order to actually be used, to make it so that player characters cannot simply use magic knowledge from a more magic-rich world. (Unless that is sort of the point)

Also assuming that the whole 'also being other people in other worlds' thing is not counted as a supernatural ability for the purpose of being eligible for making an Incindia character on account of that being the whole game premise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8