Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Game End- Town Victory  (Read 12717 times)

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Day 1-[Not, please wait for Vectoring]
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:25 pm »

Secretdorf: Why blurt out that you're townie? Are you aware how suspicious that seems?

I was telling everyone, 'Yeah I am listening'.

Luckyowl, Rose, and Secretdorf: Which of these routes more interests you, and why?
Finding out town because finding scum ain't any easy thing and even if we find one we might not find the other one. But finding the godfather seems good 8)

Right now luckyowl seems scummiest to me because not only is he continually defending and sef-justifying his posts but also this dodge. I mean why would town dodge such questions? But its not a strong scumtell.

So, Luckyowl, tell me what you would be doing if you were Mafia.

Well, it's hard to say, even I don't know what I would do if I were mafia.
Okay, but that's really just a dodge on the question. You don't win points by saying that you don't know.

Well I was giving an honest answer, but I see how it can be interpreted as dodging the question. However answering the question again with another answer will look scummy, and give the the scum team something to put dirt on me. So I'll just stick the "I don't know" answer. Since that's how I really feel about it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Day 1-The Heist Is Afoot.
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2021, 11:34:17 pm »

Well I was giving an honest answer, but I see how it can be interpreted as dodging the question. However answering the question again with another answer will look scummy, and give the the scum team something to put dirt on me. So I'll just stick the "I don't know" answer. Since that's how I really feel about it.
Alright, what if I attach the modifier "Pretend that you're Mafia", would you be able to come up with an appropriate answer to this question? Because most of us can't trust your word for it, and by effectively evading the question, you're making yourself look more suspicious.

@Secretdorf: That does hit some points brought up. Do you believe that Luckyowl might make some of those statements as Town? Or would it be something that you think Luckyowl would only do as Mafia? Would you like my opinion?

@Vector: What's your stance on using the lynch to prove either of us?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2021, 11:47:17 pm »

@Secretdorf: That does hit some points brought up. Do you believe that Luckyowl might make some of those statements as Town? Or would it be something that you think Luckyowl would only do as Mafia? Would you like my opinion?

LuckyOwl could make those statements as town, though it makes more sense if he does that as mafia. Opinion is always welcome though.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2021, 11:55:12 pm »

Secretdorf: Why blurt out that you're townie? Are you aware how suspicious that seems?

I was telling everyone, 'Yeah I am listening'.

[/quote]

Okay. Understandable.

Finding out town because finding scum ain't any easy thing and even if we find one we might not find the other one. But finding the godfather seems good 8)

Right now luckyowl seems scummiest to me because not only is he continually defending and sef-justifying his posts but also this dodge. I mean why would town dodge such questions? But its not a strong scumtell.

In my opinion, finding town is a lot difficult then it seems. Mafia can easily act as town a good example is FOU and Heydude6 in BYOR 15. But it's double edge sword though ad it's easy for town to act like scum. Which is the predicament that I'm digging myself deeper. But do note, that self-justifying and defending ourself is a normal reaction. If you claim that I might be scummy wouldn't it be more scummy if I ignored you and just try to find the scum? Which is what I'm more focus on. Since again, I don't know you. And didn't dodge the question I answered it truthfully.  Web is just not satisfy by my answer.

Also, be aware that your action is contradicting itself, you said you're looking for town then proceeds with giving scumtell rather than a towntell. So I'll give you a question. Do you think Rose is town? If so, what makes you think that they might be town?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2021, 12:07:39 am »

TricMagic: Can you explain who is the godfather? Also are the IC's part of the game? I thought this was 3 players?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2021, 12:09:06 am »

@Secretdorf: I'm actually leaning slightly Town on Luckyowl. It's not the same 100% feeling I had in Vengeful 12.5, but Luckyowl does tend to suffer by being brutally honest. I'll be honest and say I'm not set on it yet. It does show signs of avoidance, but honestly, it isn't far-fetched that Luckyowl is Town to me.

If anything, the real problem with Lucky's answer is that it doesn't make them look Town to other players. Look at how you and Vector are interacting with it. That does make it a problem in the longterm to avoid questions like that.

@Luckyowl: You are correct. Very talented Mafia players can act seemingly Town rather easily. I think this should really be used to differentiate Vector and I's play from Rose and Secret. Remember that this is also a slightly different type of Mafia, and that a Town player lynched on the first Day creates a confirmed Townie. You hopefully understand the significance of that having played that role before. What that really means is that the first lynch is something of a practice lynch. If we all get it right, we're on a headstart. If we get it wrong, we get a mulligan.

@Rose: I don't believe I've heard much from you. Would you like to make a statement or two?

TricMagic: Can you explain who is the godfather? Also are the IC's part of the game? I thought this was 3 players?
Vector and I are very much in the game.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2021, 12:15:28 am »

No I don't think Rose is town. Their earlier posts only made them a bit scummy because of counter suspicion. Made me think for a moment they are the mafia godfather with their counter suspicion on luckyowl and something in webadict's post. However that was just a wild stab in the dark, I think.

Finding townies is not easier either but it is something that might happen automatically as the game progresses and we are scumhunting.
     Webadict: I agree with you to some extent. I can understand why he'll say all that as honest town. Not dropping my guard however.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2021, 12:23:55 am »

One thing I like about this setup is that you can still live for a day if you are lynched.
Here is what I know:
1. There is a mafia godfather. If he's lynched at any point, town automatically wins.
2. It's a 5 player setup with three townies and two mafia(one godfather). If a townie is lynched day 1, he lives day 2 and dies with day 2 lynch.
3. Best case scenario : We lynch the godfather day 1.
    Worst case scenario : We lynch a townie day 1 and another on day 2.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2021, 12:45:08 am »

Yes -- Webadict and I can be either scum or town as well.

It would be pretty bad if one of us were scum, right? Especially both, right? Muahahahahahahahaha! So scary!!

OK: but think about it for a minute. If we're on a team together, that means the newbies need to take us down. Right now you're mostly answering our questions and interacting with each other.

Also, be aware that your action is contradicting itself, you said you're looking for town then proceeds with giving scumtell rather than a towntell. So I'll give you a question. Do you think Rose is town? If so, what makes you think that they might be town?

This is good. More of this. Logical discrepancy -> follow up to ask questions about another player, which gives us a record of SD's opinions in this stage of the game.

(A somewhat more advanced move is to check interactions between players on later Days. But in order to do that, you need to have a record of their thinking. This is one of the reasons that lurking is a problem: a basic scum play is to avoid leaving tracks.)

@Vector: What's your stance on using the lynch to prove either of us?

1. It's kind of unsporting to turn either of us into a confirmed townie in a Beginner's game (if that is what would happen. I'm town but I dunno about you).
2. Continuing with that sentiment, turning the focus towards us instead of towards everyone could lead toward a pretty bad D1 in terms of information gathering.
3. It is true that shooting one of us is potentially a very strong move for town. Either they hit scum + IC (yikes! danger!) or they have a confirmed townie IC that they can rely on.
4. But it's worth considering that if somehow the scumteam is all-new, they need to get at least one of us lynched at some point and it would be a lot easier to get that goal accomplished through a D1 policy lynch than at LYLO.

=> I would consider it towards the end of Day, provided that there aren't better options available.

No I don't think Rose is town.

OK. If you don't think Rose is town, do you have a question for her?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 01:03:48 am »

Yes I have a question for her. What would she do if she was the mafia godfather?I mean lurking...?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2021, 03:24:25 am »

Hokay, there's been a /lot/ of messages while I was busy with other stuff. I'll try to get through everything.

[...]
3. I will be transparent, I was baiting Rose. Nothing she said was fake. It was an expected response a townie/mafia would say. But I still wanted to say it to get a feel of them.
I just figured it was general suspicion, but fortunately I have nothing to hide.
Luckyowl, Rose, and Secretdorf: Which of these routes more interests you, and why?

Well, the route I'm taking is to find the scum. However the rest aren't talking so it's hard to get a full picture, hopefully they say something.
Yeah, I'm going with finding scum as well, it just seems easier to me to find scum than to find townies.

And I hadn't been posting much because I've been pretty busy today with stuff.

They will get here when they get here. I'll be honest in saying that your initial assumption of what Secretdorf said isn't entirely inaccurate. However, I'm in the same boat for meta reasons, but I feel like using those is an unfair assumption and doesn't teach players good scumhunting tactics.
I got here eventually!

@Rose: I don't believe I've heard much from you. Would you like to make a statement or two?
Yeah, as mentioned above, been busy today, but I'll make a statement after I address things.

No I don't think Rose is town. Their earlier posts only made them a bit scummy because of counter suspicion. Made me think for a moment they are the mafia godfather with their counter suspicion on luckyowl and something in webadict's post. However that was just a wild stab in the dark, I think.
When I posted before, you and Luckyowl were the only ones who've posted so far, and I assumed it was just the three of us playing, with only one mafia. I didn't realize the ICs were in the game yet. With me being innocent, one of you would have to be mafia, and accusations are how I'd try to find out.

Yes I have a question for her. What would she do if she was the mafia godfather?I mean lurking...?
If I was godfather I'd do the same thing as I'm already doing as town, which is try to figure out who's acting the most like they're mafia, and vote for them.

Sometimes it's lurking, and sometimes I'm legitimately busy.

I know I'm townie, so if I stay quiet like most of my previous mafia games then the mafia will win. So I have to ditch my crazy eye play and actually play the game by the book. I'm quite curious, do you find "I'm townie"  claim from Secretdorf less suspicious? Do you think me trying to find the thief to be out of play and scummy?
[/quote
Oops, didn't see this until I was reviewing things.

I haven't seen your previous mafia games, so I don't know if this is true or not, but if you're telling the truth, that would check out because now you've been ridiculously active so far in this game, which is what initially made me suspicious.
Say I take your word for it, that leads us without any real idea who it might be.

Luckyowl: I was initially suspicious of how active you've been, but you claim that this is because you're town.
Secretdorf: While you're quick to point a finger at me for being a godfather, but from what I've seen of you so far, I put that down more as naivete than scum, though it would be a rather scummy thing to do. If you were scum, it would be beneficial for you to try to pin it on somebody else.
Vector: You've been mostly taking a back seat in favor of teaching people, so that doesn't lead me much to go on. (As well as the fact that we did kind of pull you in when you weren't ready yet. Sorry about that)
webadict: Same as Vector. No idea what to make of you, so withholding judgment.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2021, 03:48:04 am »

Webadict and Vector: How do you act towny when you are scum? Do you find it easy?

Rose: Your last post makes me think you're town (not a complete town read though).

Everyone: Right now who are you willing to lynch? And who do you think is the scumteam(townies can just make a guess)? I am growing increasingly suspicious of a webadict/Luckyowl and webadict/Vector scumteam.(not based upon some post making them look scummy just my thoughts).

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2021, 08:45:45 am »

TricMagic: Can you explain who is the godfather?
Luckyowl would you still ask this if you were the godfather to receive town reads?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:44 am »

TricMagic: Can you explain who is the godfather?
Luckyowl would you still ask this if you were the godfather to receive town reads?

No if I were godfather I wouldn't have said anything about it. But I assume it's a sort of flagbearer role. Could you further explain what makes Rose seem townie?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2021, 08:54:48 am »

Secretdorf: Was there anything particular that web had said to make you think he is scum?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11