Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Game End- Town Victory  (Read 12711 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Day 1-[Not, please wait for Vectoring]
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2021, 06:12:09 pm »

If we're starting (thanks for waiting, guys) I'm going to need a role PM.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2021, 06:28:00 pm »

I kinda messed up by only sending the new players roles. Apologies.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 06:40:15 pm »

Did you just confirm that the mafia is made out of two of the new players?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Day 1-The Heist Is Afoot.
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2021, 06:47:58 pm »

I randomized the list without regard for IC or Newbie. I was also very eager to start, hence how I ended up dragging Vector in. There may or may not be an IC I poked for Scumchat specifically who shall remain hidden. On the other hand, both ICs may be Scum. WIFOM at it's finest. Bit unfair, but eh, you deal with the hand that is dealt.

Wevadict, mind setting Mamobo for the 96 hour day at this hour mark?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2021, 06:49:31 pm »

I randomized the list without regard for IC or Newbie. I was also very eager to start, hence how I ended up dragging Vector in. There may or may not be an IC I poked for Scumchat specifically who shall remain hidden. On the other hand, both ICs may be Scum. WIFOM at it's finest. Bit unfair, but eh, you deal with the hand that is dealt.

Webadict, mind setting Mamobo for the 96 hour day at this hour mark?

Typo. Also an example of editing for mistakes should you want to.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 07:00:17 pm »

Webadict, mind setting Mamobo for the 96 hour day at this hour mark?
Sure, let me just finish ending BYOR 15.

Mamobo

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia Moderation Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 09:48:21 pm »

Mamobo knows that Mamobo has a family somewhere...

Vote Count
------------------------
Luckyowl - 0 -
Rose - 0 -
Secretdorf - 0 -
Vector - 0 -
webadict - 0 -
No Lynch - 0 -

Not Voting - 5 - webadict, Vector, Luckyowl, Rose, Secretdorf,

4 to Hammer. Day ends on January 16, 2021 at 18:00 CST (~93 hours remaining).
Mamobo stands for Mafia Moderation Bot! Mamobo was made by webadict to help those in need!

Mamobo hates villainy and lawlessness! Mamobo loves blueberries!

Mamobo is happy to be of use! If you'd like to improve Mamobo, please do something else instead!

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 09:57:40 pm »

Luckyowl, if I had said, "Darn, and I was mafia, too.", what would you be thinking then? What exactly stands out in that post that lets you believe Secretdorf? Which part was reactive and fake about Rose? Remember that while you're giving some defense here, your goal is also to get other people to believe you.

1.Well if you said that I would think you're either pulling a gambit or bait posting.

2. What Secretdorf posted seem something I would do, but I don't know him and he has some material to work with to get a feel who I am. Also looking at some of things he have posted. He doesn't seem to be no fool. So it's sort of shifting into something suspicious. But I want him to defend himself.  Instead of jumping the gun. He might very well turn out town, or he might be a mafia lying about his alignment we would just have to wait and see.

3. I will be transparent, I was baiting Rose. Nothing she said was fake. It was an expected response a townie/mafia would say. But I still wanted to say it to get a feel of them.

Luckyowl, Rose, and Secretdorf: Which of these routes more interests you, and why?

Well, the route I'm taking is to find the scum. However the rest aren't talking so it's hard to get a full picture, hopefully they say something.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2021, 10:02:15 pm »

Those are good feelings, but what do you think will find Mafia? Personally, my favorites involves asking what you'd do as Mafia, because Mafia tends to avoid doing what they say they would do, and Town tend not to realize they're performing some of the same actions.

That's my personal take on it, though, and not an official scumhunting tactic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2021, 10:08:15 pm »

Vector's introduction to scumtells part 1

Scum has a survival mindset. This usually results in passiveness, lots of self-justification, and a tendency to strike lightly at best and back off.

With that said, town can do this, too. So it isn't enough just to notice these tells: we need to learn more about them and then, gradually, form a case.

I noticed some interesting things in LO's post, so I am going to pay attention to them and try to find out more.

(everything above the line is in my IC voice)

Well, the route I'm taking is to find the scum. However the rest aren't talking so it's hard to get a full picture, hopefully they say something.

LO, this is passive and doesn't respond to the "why" part of Webadict's question.

I know I'm townie, so if I stay quiet like most of my previous mafia games then the mafia will win. So I have to ditch my crazy eye play and actually play the game by the book.

I understand why you might need to play differently than your previous games, but I'm struggling to see how "playing like before as town" -> scum win. This looks like you trying to justify a change in your playstyle before being pushed on it, which is defensive and therefore suspicious.

I need to go teach a class, but I have my eye on you, LuckyOwl.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:34 pm »

What Vector says, with some extras:

Mafia have to convince themselves they're Town in addition to other players. That's why they need to justify their actions harder. However, Town needs to make sure that they are seeming Town to other players as well. It's a bit of a double-edged sword, but overthinking it can be a bad move for either alignment.

Alright, I've been lurking enough.

They will get here when they get here. I'll be honest in saying that your initial assumption of what Secretdorf said isn't entirely inaccurate. However, I'm in the same boat for meta reasons, but I feel like using those is an unfair assumption and doesn't teach players good scumhunting tactics.

So, Luckyowl, tell me what you would be doing if you were Mafia.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2021, 10:28:54 pm »

LO, this is passive and doesn't respond to the "why" part of Webadict's question.

I know I'm townie, so if I stay quiet like most of my previous mafia games then the mafia will win. So I have to ditch my crazy eye play and actually play the game by the book.

I understand why you might need to play differently than your previous games, but I'm struggling to see how "playing like before as town" -> scum win. This looks like you trying to justify a change in your playstyle before being pushed on it, which is defensive and therefore suspicious.

Well damn. Thanks for the help there. Alright I'll respond to these respectively.

1. I actually didn't see that, but I'll answer why I'll be hunting the scum. I don't know anybody here, I have no mafia game post to look back on these two. So my only option is to find the scum rather than finding a possible town. Sorry if I'm being too passive, but I mean, none of the other two players are talking so you know.

2. The way I play before weren't very helpful for townies. I mostly lurk and read post time to time and try to evaluate who might be scum or town from that. But I can't do that here, with only 3 players it's important for townies to speak and evaluate the game or we townies will lose.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2021, 10:33:41 pm »

Well, it's hard to say, even I don't know what I would do if I were mafia.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2021, 10:35:24 pm »

Okay, but that's really just a dodge on the question. You don't win points by saying that you don't know.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2021, 10:45:16 pm »

Okay, but that's really just a dodge on the question. You don't win points by saying that you don't know.

Well I was giving an honest answer, but I see how it can be interpreted as dodging the question. However answering the question again with another answer will look scummy, and give the the scum team something to put dirt on me. So I'll just stick the "I don't know" answer. Since that's how I really feel about it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11