Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111407 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #690 on: December 29, 2020, 09:32:39 am »

Wait, what happened? Did it have anything to do with me or Iceytea? He brought up the flavour first.
IcyTea31 has been punished accordingly for their transgressions.

NOTE: Referencing of flavortext within PMs is fine. Attempting to use it as a confirmation tool is not. The same goes for PM Timestamps. You all have now been warned.

Come on, guys.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 29, 2020, 09:43:35 am »

Toaster: I thought I was pretty transparent yesterday on the fact that I was stalling on Jim until I saw more of him, but I guess not. It’s a moot point anyway because we’ve got less than 12 hours left in the day and I have zero confidence Jim will decide to engage with the game.

The grand total of the initial 4maskwolf scumread on Jim Groovester: I didn’t like that he came to my defense at the start of the game. Yup, that’s it, the sum total of that guy read.

Okay, not quite the sum total. I’ve had a policy for at least the last year (since “I Need a Doctor” on MU) that any veteran player who excuses or defends objectively bad play on my behalf gets a scum point and extra scrutiny. It’s not a hard scum read, but I’ve seen enough scum “help out” a poorly playing townie veteran that I don’t trust it when veteran players do it.

Specifically, what Jim Groovester did was get on both Dolores and Vector for getting on my case for my entry into the thread. Which, yes, was deliberately bad and unhelpful, largely as a quick reaction test for dolores who I expected it would draw a response from. It also gave me an excuse not to engage with the early D1 period which I find abjectly miserable to play so y’know, two birds one stone.

The thing is, as you’re probably already rolling your eyes and saying, isn’t this the weakest case in the history of cases? And yes, it basically was. It’s a personal gut/policy read based on a single post and, when juxtaposed against his general hatred of basically everything to do with this game, it gets even weaker because “bitching about people being super serious hours into a Christmas Eve D1” is relatively in line with the rest of his attitude. But, it’s what I had to go on on him, so I tentatively put him on my scum list while waiting for him to post more content that would help nail down a read.

And in short, he really hasn’t. I’ve ISO’d him a couple times over the past few days, and I believe it was Fallacy who basically summed it up a couple days ago with something like “he does nothing but respond to questions and go after low-hanging fruit.” Nothing special, but there’s literally nothing in his posts that strikes me as especially town mindset. So I was, and still am, content to leave him on much scum list until he actually does something to convince me he cares about a town victory, or even, for that matter, the game itself.

And there’s one more red flag, something I only caught when reviewing this post in my head. Back when Fallacy pseudo-cased Jim and FoS’d him, Jim responded almost immediately after by basically saying “if you think I’m scum, why are you not using your vote?” I’m paraphrasing because I’m PFP and don’t trust this tab not to refresh and delete my post if I go try to get the exact quote. But on to the point, that’s actually a pretty big red flag for me: I challenge townies like that a _lot_ as scum because if they bite and commit to a case on me it gives me something to fight. There’s uncomfortably little you can do as scum about townies vaguely casting aspersions in your direction and putting the idea out there that you’re untrustworthy, but if you can get them to commit to a big case on you it gives you something that you can tear down and fight against. Even if you don’t convince that one specific townie, being able to build a solid defense against a fully articulated case can help diffuse the cases’s power among the rest of the town.

tl;dr: my initial scumread on Jim was super weak and based on a very personal gut read. He hasn’t done anything to make me think he’s town since then, and a mental review this morning turned up a red flag that makes me comfortable leaving him firmly in my scumpile.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 29, 2020, 09:49:38 am »

Huh, missed this the first time around. Thanks to Jim Groovester for putting it in his post (though I still think he's being lazy and voting for someone who's 80% likely to be a third party instead of trying to find someone who's actually scum).

If you want to vote me there's nothing stopping you
The FoU/Jim Groovester interaction I was referencing in my last post.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 29, 2020, 09:56:45 am »

TricMagic: while I suppose your mechanical status is mildly interesting, you can still help your team (whatever it is) by engaging with the day game. You have several outstanding questions you haven’t answered and can still make cases and use your vote, you’re not out of the game until you’re dead (and then, depending on shenanigans, maybe not even the ).

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 29, 2020, 10:09:23 am »

At this point I kinda just want the day to end given how draining it got two days ago.

As for voting, this particular post from down the post reply list interests me.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177586.msg8228380#msg8228380

Given the number of players, might as well place my trust in Dolores. Since they were the one to reveal the hat without much prompting. IcyTea being part of masons can explain why they did not want to give it up, though I still dislike it since that takes up their own action if they use it. And ToonyMan was on the read list of mine.

Hmm, should I go ahead and use my badge so no one can loot it off me?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 29, 2020, 10:15:08 am »

Tric
Probably, maybe see what it does to me. Maybe I can turn myself into a third-party with it.
This is a really weird response. Surely changing yourself into a 3rd-party would go against your wincon if you were town?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 29, 2020, 10:56:45 am »

Tric
Probably, maybe see what it does to me. Maybe I can turn myself into a third-party with it.
This is a really weird response. Surely changing yourself into a 3rd-party would go against your wincon if you were town?

I want to see what it does. I can change back afterward. Of course, given it's P10 and I have access to a badge that makes it P0, changing back tomorrow night isn't difficult. Hmm, actually, maybe just changing my role name would be enough, be Bow Kid for a while? Granted, if I'm dead that doesn't mean much.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 29, 2020, 11:13:51 am »

The voteboard switches to a countdown on screen. The situation gets tense.

Vote Count
------------------------
4maskwolf - 0 -
dolores - 0 -
FallacyofUrist - 0 -
heydude6 - 0 -
IcyTea31 - 2 - Luckyowl*, FallacyofUrist*,
Jim Groovester - 0 -
juicebox - 0 -
Leafsnail - 2 - notquitethere*, juicebox*,
Luckyowl - 0 -
Nirur Torir - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
notquitethere - 0 -
Toaster - 0 -
ToonyMan - 7 - 4maskwolf*, Nirur Torir*, TricMagic*, dolores*, NJW2000*, IcyTea31*, Vector*,
TricMagic - 4 - Leafsnail*, ToonyMan*, Jim Groovester*, Toaster*,
Vector - 0 -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - heydude6*,

9 to Hammer. Day ends on December 29, 2020 at 19:00 CST (8 hours and 47 minutes remaining.)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 29, 2020, 11:19:34 am »

Tick, tock, goes the clock.

Toony mentioned posting a claim if it looks like he's going to be lynched.

Previously I've read him of suspicious, but I'm not actually going to vote him right now. It's nine to hammer, and anyone could kill the Day right then and there if I moved to Toony. Given what Jim Groovester's said about wanting a hammer, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he switched immediately. I want to see what he (Toony) has to say.

Spoiler: OOCnote: (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 29, 2020, 11:27:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which doll acts like a chunni in metacomments
« Reply #700 on: December 29, 2020, 11:28:14 am »

@NJW2000:
This is a useful result! If Toony flips town (I think we get alignments despite No Spoilers), he clears heydude to some extent. Only problem: I can't really see why he didn't reveal it immediately, or at some point during the kerfuffle with Icytea, or after that was over - isn't confirming someone sooner rather than later good play?
I have a day investigative ability. Cops shouldn't even claim their results on Day 2 if on Night 1 they hit a townie. Why would I claim a weaker town result on Heydude during Day 1? Your reasoning doesn't make sense to me here. I could have said nothing after getting my result, but I chose to reason why my result could be true without claiming to the public that I have a day cop ability. I'm totally fine with you finding this suspicious because it does involve me having extra knowledge which you reasonably (or scummily) deduced.

In fact, he only mentions it to defend himself. My vote on him, whether or not it achieved the pressure that produced this weak final defence, is at least justified by it.
Do you mean partial-claiming after you hounded me the whole day for it? I had to claim my result after getting so many votes, it's not something I would have liked to do you know, so congrats if you're scum.
That's fair enough, I suppose, a day cop of some kind wouldn't necessarily claim immediately on finding town, you're quite right. The idea that you'd give a townread without thinking through the reasoning, as a substitute for claiming and clearing heydude... just doesn't seem like town play, tbh. Being shady for relatively little reason. I apologise if this actually happened, but I just don't believe you.
One wheel short of a wagon

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 29, 2020, 11:29:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 29, 2020, 11:33:53 am »

Toony, say you were lynched and flip town. Who was voting you for the worst reasons?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 29, 2020, 11:38:58 am »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 29, 2020, 12:20:06 pm »

TricMagic, I checked the “Leave Comment” ability and it seems like the only thing it explicitly can’t do is self-target, it doesn’t have the SELF or TARGET/SELF tags. Also, y’know, mucking about with your alignment because you want to see if you can doesn’t actually further the town’s win on, which is kinda the point of the game.

Spoiler: OOC for Fallacy (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 122