Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111190 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #615 on: December 28, 2020, 06:15:01 pm »

Webadict
Can I have reminder of how much time there is left in the day? I’ve been struck by unexpected family visits and I’d like to know how much time I have left to make my reads list.
I'd like a vote count too.

I don't know how masons are classified in Webadict's games.
Why would it be any different? It's not webadict classifying anything, it's me and 4maskwolf looking at our alignment and ability to talk to each other and saying "we're masons."
Or do you suspect there's more to BYOR masons than the standard variety? Of course there is, but asking for the details of that would be what I'd call rolefishing.
I know you don't like me and I don't like you, but I'm paranoid and that's why I'm double checking with Webadict.

Rolefishing players who, by your own admission, you believe to probably be masons and have an understandable, if not one your agree with, reason to claim when they did.
I think I could believe that, which is really frustrating since I find it incredibly humiliating against my townplay to be the vote candidate of masons. I definitely disagree with both of your plays this day, but I see why you want me dead right now.
I think it's fairly likely you are masons, and it baffles me you wouldn't claim at the beginning of a day if this is true. Why did IcyTea self-vote when you could confirm each other at the start of today? I'm not super familiar with mason play, but I believe that's the right play, or at least hold off on claiming today if you want to be sneaky.
I only think you're telling the truth because betting half your mafia team on me is incredibly stupid. I'm so pissed either way.

I'm also kind of mad it's just the two people confirming themselves and me here, what the fuck town?

PPE:
Hey Jim. I don't think I'm the protagonist this time.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 28, 2020, 06:22:31 pm »

@IcyTea:
You said Luckyowl wasn't right about one of your abilities being named "Hydraform" right? Hydra sounds pretty mason-y to me with the multiple heads.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 28, 2020, 06:27:02 pm »

So are you happy with lynching someone you have literally no reason to think is scum, or do you disagree that Tric would pull this shit as town?
This isn't what I'm saying. Tric has claimed third party win conditions, even if he now seems to be welching on that claim. No, I do not think Tric is capable of constructing a lie this elaborate as town, nor do I think his role as claimed makes any sense as a townie. In any case all my logic when playing mafia has always been predicated on townies telling the truth - I remember discussing this with you in a previous game. So in my view either Tric is telling the truth and is a third party who could potentially work to help the mafia, or is lying and is scum. This makes him a far better option to lynch than any other player who could easily be town.
Leafsnail:  Do you have anything on anyone other than Tric?  I saw you mention Vector, but you've not done a damn thing to develop that.  Why?
Think I'm going to +1 Toaster here. Leafsnail you haven't interacted with anyone besides TricMagic and Vector (barely). Why?
...Given that a 4 person mafia team has been confirmed, who are your other suspects for the mafia team? Who's your strongest townread and why?

Leafsnail, can you answer the first two questions I posed to Toonyman as well? Also, has Vector done anything else that strikes you as suspicious?
The answer to all of these is the same - I have had incredibly little time over the past few days due to family commitments. Looking for where my name has been bolded and skimming for the points that looked actually interesting (IcyTea's alleged slip, TricMagic not being town) among the multiple massive walls that I have neither the time nor inclination to read is all I can manage.

For that reason I cannot honestly say I have anything on anyone else - I have posted the thoughts I have had about the game up to this point. I do strongly suspect that TricMagic will remain my preferred lynch unless there is a compelling mechanical reason to think someone else is scum, but I will try to read the longform cases up-thread to see if there are any other lynches that I would find acceptable if we cannot reach quorum on TricMagic.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 28, 2020, 06:35:38 pm »

If I had more patience I'd go dig into why each of you suspect ToonyMan but instead I'm going to lose the game.
Got it, you're next on the block.

I know you don't like me and I don't like you, but I'm paranoid and that's why I'm double checking with Webadict.
What exactly are you checking? That when I use a common mafia term, I mean the same common mafia term the moderator uses?

You said Luckyowl wasn't right about one of your abilities being named "Hydraform" right? Hydra sounds pretty mason-y to me with the multiple heads.
I don't have an ability by that name. To me it looks like Luckyowl copied one of my abilities, and webadict changed its name before giving it to LO. I can agree there's a logical connection in calling a mason ability "Hydraform", but I'm not the one who decided to call it that. LO already asked for clarification on this, so we'll be waiting for that.

Also, you do realize you're still fishing for details on my abilities?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 28, 2020, 06:40:00 pm »

4maskwolf:
Rolefishing players who, by your own admission, you believe to probably be masons and have an understandable, if not one your agree with, reason to claim when they did.

I think I could believe that, which is really frustrating since I find it incredibly humiliating against my townplay to be the vote candidate of masons. I definitely disagree with both of your plays this day, but I see why you want me dead right now.
I think it's fairly likely you are masons, and it baffles me you wouldn't claim at the beginning of a day if this is true. Why did IcyTea self-vote when you could confirm each other at the start of today? I'm not super familiar with mason play, but I believe that's the right play, or at least hold off on claiming today if you want to be sneaky.

It's rolefishing when he's asking you about something you've claimed?  Claimed unprovoked, at that?

Actually, let me go ahead and question it myself.  Did you two start the game masoned?

More coming
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 28, 2020, 06:41:14 pm »

For that reason I cannot honestly say I have anything on anyone else - I have posted the thoughts I have had about the game up to this point. I do strongly suspect that TricMagic will remain my preferred lynch unless there is a compelling mechanical reason to think someone else is scum, but I will try to read the longform cases up-thread to see if there are any other lynches that I would find acceptable if we cannot reach quorum on TricMagic.
I believe the vote count is currently tied between myself and TricMagic.

The day ends in like 80~ minutes. I'm writing a full-claim of my actions (I also have personal notes I've been keeping) that I will post shortly before the deadline if there's a majority on me.

What exactly are you checking? That when I use a common mafia term, I mean the same common mafia term the moderator uses?
I asked Webadict some questions to confirm masons in this game. He isn't here yet to respond.

I don't have an ability by that name. To me it looks like Luckyowl copied one of my abilities, and webadict changed its name before giving it to LO. I can agree there's a logical connection in calling a mason ability "Hydraform", but I'm not the one who decided to call it that. LO already asked for clarification on this, so we'll be waiting for that.
Also, you do realize you're still fishing for details on my abilities?
Fair enough. And no, fuck you.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 28, 2020, 06:42:12 pm »

ToonyMan and TricMagic look at the voteboard nervously. Luckily, they have some time.

Vote Count
------------------------
4maskwolf - 0 -
dolores - 0 -
FallacyofUrist - 1 - heydude6*,
heydude6 - 0 -
IcyTea31 - 2 - Luckyowl*, FallacyofUrist*,
Jim Groovester - 1 - TricMagic*,
juicebox - 0 -
Leafsnail - 2 - notquitethere*, juicebox*,
Luckyowl - 0 -
Nirur Torir - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
notquitethere - 0 -
Toaster - 0 -
ToonyMan - 5 - 4maskwolf*, dolores*, NJW2000*, IcyTea31*, Vector*,
TricMagic - 5 - Nirur Torir*, Leafsnail*, ToonyMan*, Jim Groovester*, Toaster*,
Vector - 0 -
No Lynch -

Not Voting -

9 to Hammer. Day ends on December 29, 2020 at 19:00 CST (~25 hours remaining).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 28, 2020, 06:47:13 pm »

Alright that's quite enough of that.

For anyone who's unclear on what Toonyman is doing (and yes I know I already voted for him, I'm using it for emphasis), he's someone who's paid attention to the basically bastard mod mechanic available to all players.

(Information - Ability) (Auto) Comments Have Been Turned On: All players gain access to Leave Comment. All Leave Comments and their target(s) are visible to you. This ability is revealed at the beginning of the game.
(Information - Action) (Night) Leave Comment [target (xAny)] [role name (xAny)] [alignment (xAny)]: When you use this ability, write a comment. This modifies at least one of any of the targets, role names, and/or alignments. The more specific the comment and targeting, the stronger the effect.
Mod Question:
Can "Leave Comment" affect a player's role or alignment enough to change what they are? Or is it purely player's leaving their thoughts on other players?

And he's trying to fish for any information he can get on the specifics of our alignment and our role and ability names.  There's literally no other purpose for the hydraform question other than to try and fish out a response that reveals more about our roles or abilities, the proper townie question would have been to simply ask if we'd set up our claim anywhere if you wanted more in-thread proof.

And for the record, yes, we did set it up, because IcyTea thought it would be funny to be cheeky about it on Christmas.

Well I wasn't going to engage with this but since you asked directly okay.  You're reaction fishing in an incredibly hamfisted way.  You wanted to rattle the cage a little bit on D1 by doing something out of the ordinary and see how people's reactions fall.  Now to turn the question back around to you: did you feel you got anything useful out of your little fishing expedition?
You tell me. It hasn't given me any information it hasn't also given you. It's definitely something I can use.

And of course his adorable "slip" with "I know things the town doesn't" which was technically true because he knew my alignment and also got several people to try and lynch him.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 28, 2020, 06:48:28 pm »

@Webadict:
How do masons work? Are they just town alignment? Do they get a quicktopic together?
Masons is an informal term/common role name for Town players (Though, other alignments could have this moniker as well, this is rarer.) that are confirmed to each other at the beginning of the game, and usually share the ability to communicate outside the game thread. If there were "Masons" in a BYOR (I believe this is the question you are asking, but you may feel free to clarify), they very well could have a QuickTopic.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:54 pm »

I asked Webadict some questions to confirm masons in this game. He isn't here yet to respond.
I noticed, yes. Seriously, what information did you expect to receive from asking "Are town-aligned quicktopic-buddies town-aligned and in a quicktopic?"

It's rolefishing when he's asking you about something you've claimed?  Claimed unprovoked, at that?
It's rolefishing when he's asking questions about mechanics he already understands in the hope of receiving an answer that hints to other mechanics.

Did you two start the game masoned?
Yes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 28, 2020, 06:59:00 pm »

@4maskwolf:
Are you serious?? I'm asking questions to the mod if I'm able to, Webadict never even responded to my Leave Comment question which I also pointed out after. I want to know how the game works fully.

@IcyTea:
I noticed, yes. Seriously, what information did you expect to receive from asking "Are town-aligned quicktopic-buddies town-aligned and in a quicktopic?"

@Webadict:
How do masons work? Are they just town alignment? Do they get a quicktopic together?
Masons is an informal term/common role name for Town players (Though, other alignments could have this moniker as well, this is rarer.) that are confirmed to each other at the beginning of the game, and usually share the ability to communicate outside the game thread. If there were "Masons" in a BYOR (I believe this is the question you are asking, but you may feel free to clarify), they very well could have a QuickTopic.
I'm seriously starting to question that shit.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #626 on: December 28, 2020, 07:04:23 pm »

Mod Question:
Can "Leave Comment" affect a player's role or alignment enough to change what they are? Or is it purely player's leaving their thoughts on other players?
My bad, didn't see this question.

There is no answer that would accurately satisfy that question. Depending on the comment, the action could have a myriad of effects. Could it change a player's role? Perhaps, but unlikely by itself. Could it change a player's alignment? Extremely unlikely. You may leave thoughts about other players. Comments are more powerful when multiple comments target the same thing, or when a comment targets a smaller target.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 28, 2020, 07:09:42 pm »

I feel like IcyTea and 4maskwolf's claim of being masons is dubious. To me, it looks more like IcyTea is a cult leader with a day conversion ability called Hydraform or related to such an ability. Lemme gather some more evidence of this.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 28, 2020, 07:11:01 pm »

I feel like IcyTea and 4maskwolf's claim of being masons is dubious. To me, it looks more like IcyTea is a cult leader with a day conversion ability called Hydraform or related to such an ability. Lemme gather some more evidence of this.
Be sure to include in your evidence "why we would ever claim that on D1 when even a single dubious townie could make the whole thing unravel with the right ability."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 28, 2020, 07:11:38 pm »

I'm seriously starting to question that shit.
I only think you're telling the truth because betting half your mafia team on me is incredibly stupid. I'm so pissed either way.
So because I used a term in its most common definition, while the moderator gave a more general definition, I'm suddenly incredibly stupid?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 122