Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 31949 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, but I'm going to have to drop out of this round. IRL's pretty hectic at the moment, and I don't really have much free time.

No worries, if you find time again you're totally welcome back!!

My strategy to scare everyone off the competition worked.

Social engineering at it's finest, not to mention your flank attack on strika w/ the smallhands turn. .

I will be taking another go at this as my rage with the previous attempt has subsided. I think I'll do the build reasonable fort that produces some nice items style.

Looking forward to it!

May i suggest a round? I know im not playing but still

Absolutely, though I might modify it a bit before deploying it. I'm trying to do things that are slightly different than previous rounds, but as we have found out, there are some game mechanics better left alone by competition. What did you have in mind?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

My strategy to scare everyone off the competition worked.

Social engineering at it's finest, not to mention your flank attack on strika w/ the smallhands turn. .

When I play, I play to win, Sal.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spring
Loading up the save for the second time, using a spring autosave.
Some holes are already being plugged, jute being harvested for cloth.

I remember my designated dwarf almost dying in the booze pile from not being able to move, and there being no hospital.
Set the meeting area over the beds to a hospital, add a elven chest. Make the only dwarf with medical experience the CMD and activate all medical jobs. Crutch soon dispensed, crisis averted.

Order the jute planted on the surface, designate some stairway widening.
Add some corridors on levels we'll use for bedrooms and a tavern.
A large tetrahedrite vein gets digvx at a lower priority.

Elves arrive - and I manage to forget about them until they leave. Great success!

Spoiler: Main floor getting dug (click to show/hide)

Add a small 3x3 cemetary to be expanded later for a couple of our newly made coffins.

I realize we have more dwarfpower - assign more miners with some new iron picks.
Then still not satisfied with the idlers I order farmers to engrave the new living space.

I realize a temple might be a good idea - dig out a 5x5 next to the new cemetary. Perhaps slightly small, not exactly sure how big a dancefloor needs to be, thius would become 4x5 when coffers and instruments get placed and possibly value increasing traps...

Doors are nice. More doors. And beds. Clearly we need 200 beds for our 100 dwarves.

Oh, 'rapidon' gets jailed for some old crimes he most likely committed. Only ~28 days in the booz pile. Seems like a good place for a jail?

I notice we don't actually have that much food. Decide that some plump helmets never hurt anyone - the other possibility being cooking the booze, which hurts my sensibilities, even though we have a lot of booze.

A militia could be useful. Pick everyone who has sword experience (swords being the most versatile in my opinion, also light), although I let the 2 spearies stay in the squad. Assign a spear to the 2nd dwarf, previously assigned a crossbow, which there was no reason for (?).

Legendary metalcrafter immigrates, Score! ..and another legendary weaponsmith, eh.

Previous metalcrafter gets drafted, since he has basic sword proficiency.

Miltia is 9 strong, I order armorstand and weaponrack for barracks.

Someone has a possession and need silk cloth (showmood). Time to breach the caverns I guess.

And then it's summer.

Rapidon seems to have taken imprisonment well, decreasing quite sharply in stress. The only other stressed dwarf is the armorsmith, easy fix. Queuing up some protective gear for summer.

Checking more closely, I guess Rapidons lover was 'Ral' who is the dead miner from... Rapidons turn.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Assign a spear to the 2nd dwarf, previously assigned a crossbow, which there was no reason for (?).

The reason is I had 0 weapons whatsoever. Except one wooden spear I stole from the elves. I had no weapon-grade metal either, and absolutely no time to melt more, with all the beer quotas to meet

So the first dwarf got the wooden spear. The over got a crossbow that happened to be there... Better using that to bash things than wrestling
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 03:02:04 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Legendary metalcrafter immigrates, Score!

ooh spicey move, RNG

RE: adamantine, has anyone dug too deep yet?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice RNG. So far I'm preferring an applet win - since I did zero military stuff.

Radipon is moody from the start. Watch out for Kel - who made several masterwork statues which I ordered melted (batch orders) and that drove him crazy.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This place is a terrible mess! I can not even begin to properly describe how bad it is, but a picture of the sleeping accomodations may adequately illustrate it. Imagine trying to sleep in this muddy hellhole, which also doubles as our meeting hall. That means that it is at all times filled with 30 screaming kids, and various farm animals. I have not slept properly in ages.

What woke me up this particular morning is Radipon, who was beating the living daylights out of some children next to my bed. I will not tolerate this any longer.

RADIPON GET OVER HERE!
You are going on a mission with our military squad. Yes, I know you have no proper weapons or armor. Just remember that the greatest glory can be won on missions with terrible odds. No, stop complaining.
NOW GET OUT OF HERE AND LET ME SLEEP!

---

Radipon! How unexpected, you have returned from your mission! now show me what you’ve got.

Ah EXCELLENT!
Dwarves in this fortress spend far too much time eating, drinking and sleeping and this is all terribly inefficient.
I’m not even talking about all the time it takes to produce all that food. The entire fortress spend the whole last year brewing booze for Armok’s sake. NOW CONSTRUCT A GRAND TEMPLE TO VESH so that everybody may read this slab, and we can leave this terrible inefficiency behind!

NO RADIPON, do not sneak off back to the sleeping pit, I have another mission for you. There’s another slab up for grabs, and this one is also not claimed by any particular person. GO, NOW!

---
While Radipon was gone I had some time to make some observations:
Radipon’s husband’s ghost is haunting the fortress, and scaring everybody in the metalcrafting district, his rotting corpse is in some stockpile near the farms. No wonder that Radipon was about to snap.
Also a planter made an artifact armadillo bone door and has now turned legendary in bonecrafting. This is most useful.

---

Ah Radipon my friend! You are back again! You will love your husbands new coffin, I had it made just to let you know that I appreciate all your efforts here. I see you also brought the second slab! EXCELLENT..

Now let me see your mission report

Wait what? You murdered DWARVES? Where did you get that second slab??
Oh shit.

NOW DON’T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! It’s just a minor detail that I overlooked when assigning the mission! I’m hired to produce valuable goods, not to uphold friendly relationships with our neighbours!

---
Migrants have arrived. (aparently minednotches is not from our parent civ.) There is a complete team of medics, they probably expect to have glorious career opportunities in this fortress. Other than that, there is nobody with any relevant skills. On the plus side, they brought no children.

Apparently one of the military dwarves took her baby along on the military missions. The baby learned some bad habits while on the mission; this morning I was ambushed in my sleep by the little critter.

I JUST WANT TO SLEEP PEOPLE.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:36:10 am by Bralbaard »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer
Had a little trouble finding the right save. Eventually I realized DF hadn't saved properly, and reverted to the summer season autosave, which only meant I lost some orders made after the date hit.

So, where was I?

Right, setting up barracks and..

..right.

Spoiler: Invaders (click to show/hide)

Well, while this isn't really a proper threat to the fort, I am happy that I made sure the militia has the correct weapons.

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

The human caravan arrives shortly after

After a rather lengthy time hauling copper crafts from magma level I trade a bunch of it for bags, mood materials, cloth and leather, food.

I designate an area to dig out for trade goods, just inside the hill. This takes a while to get done, since hauling crap to the depot has higher priority...

Manage to get some silk cloth finally made, so that a mood can complete. Statue which is instantly placed in the new tavern-to-be (which is where the masons shop where it was made is located, incidentally).

Tables and chair set up gets finished for the first (only?) row in the tavern.
Designate rooms for nobles - so far only beds. Maybe I made a few too many beds.

Trump is replaced as mayor

Not sure if 'Trump' is actually a title in this case, which should be passed on. Eh.

I allow a monster hunter in, so that maybe we get a warning when something pops up in the cavern.

I notice after a while that the monster hunter has a legendary skill.

I feel there's an interesting story behind this. Particularly given the mediocre combat skills. (Which I guess every monster eradicator has)

Manage to find passage to cavern 3.

2 and 3 are very close to each other.

Tavern gets set up, digging for more space for food and dancefloor. And then..

wat.

And so autumn arrives.
Spoiler: Largish screencap (click to show/hide)

This is the barracks, outside, to prevent cave adaption, but has a small, undersized-on-purpose roof so that some rain can be avoided. The squad is now novice 'Fighter'. Lack of a teacher is not great - something I usually bring with my starting 7 since this is not common in migrants - and it helps getting the soldiers to a basic level quickly.

Oh, and the legendary metalcrafter..

Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

I'll have to withdraw my submission for this year. Sorry :(

I'm almost certainly still up for next year, though, and then I'll be in my own house without any other distractions.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm almost certainly still up for next year, though, and then I'll be in my own house without any other distractions.

Seems delphonso strikes strikas again

Little does Strika know that this is my 4D chess strategy to slow him down for the Numbercurse competition.
Ledpaddled

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Autumn

A small, but dominating, voice sounds from below
Alright, listen up you Idiots..
The dwarves look up from their meals
Yeah I'm talking to you beardface.
The dwarves look around in confusion trying to figure out who is talking, it doesn't sound at all like a dwarf. The voice continues.
Yeah, real funny slate-brains, I'm down here. You know, at cat height

The dwarves finally find the cat that is speaking to them.
From now on, I will be your overlord. You will do what I tell you to do. This is my first decree: Make the shiniest, prettiest items your sweaty beards can imagine.
The dwarves look at each other in astonishment.
Yeah sure, the door someone made recently is nice. But I need stuff with more BLING, you know?

Make some nice display cases for the blingiest ones too.
One of the dwarves opens his mouth. Then closes it again. Then open.
Oh, we have a volunteer. Yes you - who smell of dog wee. Make me some pedestals to put shiny things on. Three to be specific. And make me a chair too so I have something to sit on whilst I enjoy the shiny things. Get to it!

---
Pretty uneventful season. Had a visitor come and demand one of our artifacts..

And a FB showed up, so I shut off cavern access

Militia is level ~4 Fighter generally. Made some steel weapons for them.
Copper armor still on order, halfway fulfilled. Level 3 armorsmith is sloow.
Ledpaddled

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems delphonso strikes strikas again

Little does Strika know that this is my 4D chess strategy to slow him down for the Numbercurse competition.

Apparently that guy I paid to break your legs hasn't shown up yet.

I had the exact same event with Litast and the Silken Arena - pretty cool that his quest to seek it out started before this save.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Winter

A small, but dominating, voice sounds from below
Listen up you mica-feeted dog-lovers..
The dwarves scramble to find the cat
It's been 3 months since I ordered bling items constructed, and yet all you've managed to make is an iron minecart with grey "rock gems" on it.

This simply will not do! Just make some of the good stuff! How hard can it be? I bet even the elves could!
The gathered dwarves mumble among themselves.
Even some basic steel weapons would be better! In fact, I've seen the soldiers new weapons! Just put some on the pedestals already!
And get those soldiers some protective gear, last fight more than proved that pig tail cloth is no match for metal bolts. I can't have our enemies come in and take my blingies!

Also.. most of your names are really freaking hard to pronounce, let alone remember. 'Spriggans' can keep her name. 'Rapidon' likewise. 'applet' seems like a good name, yeah. You're all named 'applet' now.
NOW GET FORGING.

---

Damnit.
Seal everything, this is more than I want to deal with.

...Right

Oh, and there was an adamantine battleaxe artefact. Cheatin' dwarves.

---

In the end, 'applet' the Cat could retire in the knowledge that the shinest items were right where they were supposed to be. On the pedestals, with a chair to look at them from. And even though they might not be the shiniest in the world, they were plenty enough for this cat.
Ledpaddled

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and there was an adamantine battleaxe artefact. Cheatin' dwarves.

Whaaaaaaaa??

Nice work sticking with the challenge, sort of kind of lol.  Is anyone else still in this round, or can I tally the two submissions so far so we can move onto better and brighter things?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still around (I think we have untill monday?)

And on the topic of artefacts.. well.. ehm

Oh dear...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 04:14:29 pm by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24