Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 31941 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Am I the first one to have to start over due to character death?

Do We have to start over if any named dwarf dies ? Is it just not only our named dwarf's death that triggers a restart ??

And do we really have unhappiness crisis ? I did a bad job as an overseer...
 But look at all this booze ! Yeah ! I did a good job as overseer !
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:54:41 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do We have to start over if any named dwarf dies ? Is it just not only our named dwarf's death that triggers a restart ??
1. Name one of the dwarves after yourself, and post here (preferably today) which dwarf you chose. If this dwarf is dead when you submit your final save, you will be disqualified from the scoring. There are no rules about locking them up in a small chamber, but of course, that is a free pair of hands you are unable to use for the challenge.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile

Within days of load, a vile force of darkness has arrived. Undead parrots proving their worth as builders plug up the tree holes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess round 3 is what's separating the men from the boys, so to speak. Or the children from their parents. .

RE: Spriggans, yeah it's just your own dwarf, luckily!

BRB making popcorn for this glorious chaos

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I assure you, in this case, it didn't matter. Also, I think all named dwarves died in my fort.

Why do I feel a little responsible?

In my fort it was 100% you - that is, the dwarf Radipon. You punched a child to death in the bedroom/diningroom monstrosity. That broke the parents of the kid, plus everyone freaked out from seeing a child get punched to death by a grown-ass man. It was the beginning of the end. My strategy had been to train up a select few dwarves in the skills - so that meant almost every dwarf was there to witness it.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile

Yeah, had the same thing occur. Tantrum into interruption spam followed by loyalty spiral.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the Numbers

Journal of Kuemlas - dwarven overseer

Behold, my attempt at designing a competitive fortress Succession game.

The Rules:
Spoiler: The Rules (click to show/hide)

To summarize; You will be given an in-game year to make the best quality item you can. The highest value item wins the prize: bragging rights! You'll also become overseer next year, isn't that exciting?

Most notably, the three best submissions will be placed in the Hall of Success: a beautiful small museum dedicated to only the finest creations. It will be installed at the back of the booze-vault.

And the games begin! Dwarves rush through the fortress, punching children, grabbing turkeys, and elbowing each other to get through the narrow stairwell. While everyone is distracted, let's get this fortress in working order, shall we? First off, someone kill Radipon.

Thanks.

Okay, someone kill Kel too.

Thanks.

Now that that's out of the way - it's time to *Modernize* We need a tavern, we need a temple, hell, we need two temples. We need a hospital and someone give Trump a damn office - I'm sick of seeing him! Stockpiles are deleted all over the fort - boom place them under the farms and the work area. Also, uhhhh...Spriggans! you're a doctor now! Don't be idiots!

Things are coming in nicely - migrants too. We're nearly at 100! More rooms! Get to it!

Alright, with all that out of the way, let's talk about what's going on in the fort. And yes, it is Autumn already. The work area was set up where the previous booze frenzy took place. It seemed fitting to re-purpose the area for this challenge.

All types of dwarves pitched in to make beautiful crafts. But only the best three will be submitted to the Hall of Success. It seems a child felt the need to CHEAT. The rules clearly state that artifacts aren't allowed. I've got my eyes on you, Erith - little scamp.

Come on. If you're going to cheat, at least cheat...better.

This will, however, provide an excellent line of defense - we can replace that measly wooden front door with this bad boy and we'll be golden. Speaking of golden, it seems our contestants have finished their submissions! First up is Erib and Edem's joint submission: a cat's skull covered in junk!

That's pretty good, but not good enough - our second submission is from...Edem again. Well, there's nothing in the rulebook that says a dog can't play basketball. But Edem - this is just a backpack covered in keychains...

Quick intermission - see that undead leopard outside? It'd be great if 2 of the military could die to it.

Thanks.

Christ almighty well, let's see what the winner looks like: From none other than Rovod, a quiver which recounts the entirety of a book. Truly impressive and a fine work of craftsdwarfship!

All hail Rovod, next overseer and winner of the Succession game!

OOC:

So my first attempt was a fucking mess. I sat staring angrily at my computer as dwarves murdered each other constantly. I battled with burrows and starving artists. I eventually walled in half the fort's population - accidentally starving delphonso to death. It wasn't a good time. I actually considered pulling out of this round because I did not think I would enjoy this challenge.

My strategy was deeply flawed. In steps it was basically this:
1. Select only 5 dwarves to be the craftsdwarves. Improve their skills while getting materials ready to actually produce items.
2. Burrow those 5 so they can only use items I want them to use. Link stockpiles and workshops to them-only workshops.
3. Everyone else can improve the fortress in the background.

The biggest issues I had were with dwarves claiming items. I originally wanted to make 3 masterwork leather robes and decorate them to shit - but it took me half the year to figure out that they were being instantly claimed by naked dwarves and thus disappearing. In fact, I lost an adamantine backpack in my second attempt to Deduk who claimed it and then I lost it somewhere in the fort when trying to dump and reclaim it. There is also something I fundamentally don't understand about Clothier's Workshops. It took 5 months for dwarves to make it in my first try, and the loom never got built in my second attempt - only after I cancelled and then tried to make it again. I don't know what I did wrong.

I could not, for the life of me, get dwarves to improve the items I wanted - as most of the improvement items are also improvable, I had a lot of gem-encrusted gems before delphonso died. In my second attempt I sort of just let them go wild and hoped for the best - it worked out once, with the adamantine quiver. The rest of the time it failed. I have probably 20 crafts that are worth the 1000-6000 range, which isn't really enough, I don't think. There's an adamantine backpack just sitting there while the dwarves pasted everything they could to that cat skull. I also messed up and let them improve some furniture for a few months before I realized that none of that can be placed on a pedestal. What a pain... Not a huge enough mistake to make me restart, though.

So, this is my final attempt, I think. I don't really want to do all that work of making the fort better again - and will probably do it next round anyway. I'll send my save to Salmeuk in a moment. Best of luck, fellow competitors!

Just think - if all of you throw this round, we can play from my fancy, very happy fortress with bedrooms for every dwarf.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:26:56 am by delphonso »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just think - if all of you throw this round, we can play from my fancy, very happy fortress with bedrooms for every dwarf.
Hmm.... hmmm.. mmm... yes
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Yeah. I'll pass the torch for this year. Unless I have a lot of free time.

I kinda want to have a nice cozy fortress. So, you're winning ATM, phonso.
Edit : that small little museum of yours is adorable btw !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the play-by-play del, that was entertaining.

Honestly, with the current encrusting and improvements mechanics being as awkward as they are, this is fine if we have a 'whatever' round. I'll make note of this and come up with something more along the macro-production lines for next round. Consider it a break from the competition, for those who don't wish to engage with the micromanagement hell we seem to have inadvertently produced. Anyone who stays in will earn a gold star!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This round indeed has high potential to turn into micromanagement optimisation hell.
Just to protect myself from my own ocd, I'll set myself a rule and that is that I will not save scum after I've started my playthrough. This will likely mean that my turn will either end in a devastating tantrum spiral or related mysery.. we will see.

(I did some science on what kind of stuff might work beforehand though)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

Sorry, but I'm going to have to drop out of this round. IRL's pretty hectic at the moment, and I don't really have much free time.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My strategy to scare everyone off the competition worked.

Honestly, with the current encrusting and improvements mechanics being as awkward as they are, this is fine if we have a 'whatever' round. I'll make note of this and come up with something more along the macro-production lines for next round. Consider it a break from the competition, for those who don't wish to engage with the micromanagement hell we seem to have inadvertently produced. Anyone who stays in will earn a gold star!

I think the decision to not add artifacts was wise - otherwise it would just be us all save-scumming constantly on the first artifact. This was a cool challenge, but didn't have the satisfaction of brew-town where the entire fortress was dedicated to one thing only. I had well over half the fort doing nothing during all this, because there wasn't much they could add to the effort. Either way, I learned a lot about decorations and am already adding it to my usual fort tactics. For that alone I hope everyone gives this a shot.

Also - I'm 3/4 through an 8 day holiday, which is why I've been posting and playing so much - didn't mean to scare everyone off by submitting so early, but I'll have to maintain a more normal schedule starting in a couple days.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will be taking another go at this as my rage with the previous attempt has subsided. I think I'll do the build reasonable fort that produces some nice items style.
Ledpaddled

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile

May i suggest a round? I know im not playing but still
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24