Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256659 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4455 on: January 07, 2024, 05:07:59 pm »

Not a ton of point in weaker enemies, except to see what's down here.

Lower ones.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: January 08, 2024, 06:54:08 pm »

Not a ton of point in weaker enemies, except to see what's down here.

Lower ones.
+1
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: January 08, 2024, 08:13:52 pm »

Another fifteen minutes later, the bottom comes into view.  It's not shimmery or layered like heartmetal is or the walls were, which is somewhat surprising.  Instead it's a strange, indistinct gray surface with things moving all over it.  No time to look further, though, it's time to jump onto the last level of side shafts.  You pull the two-step with the elevator side platform, and almost get hurtled ahead down to the bottom level of passages.  A quick step off, and you're in a groove running three-quarters around the edge of the huge pit.  You can make out the tiny circle marking the top, far above, and the slashes of the funicular tracks, but there's little else to mark your passage.

With your gear at the ready, you begin exploring the side passages.  Sessh doesn't hear anything, Uncle is ready to hide like usual, so you creep through the tunnels, glowstones out.  The shadows are dim, but this isn't a proper dungeon.  People dug these tunnels, not the raw forces of creation.  They're uneven, the floor isn't rough, and the walls are pitted and cracked.

"Huh, there's mithril here", says Sessha, leading the way, talking about a shiny spot in the wall.  "They were really dedicated to the heartmetal, weren't they?"

"Should we dig it out then?  Should be worth it."

"Lets remember it for the way back.  There might be some reason for leaving it alone.  If we've got time, we'll certainly fill our pockets."

The next area is a series of cracked blocks, rough on the ground.  There's a thin middle path that's been smoothed out, but it's too smooth to be safe.  Sessha barely avoids slipping, and the rest of you climb slowly down the cracked blocks.  The path splits, and splits again, Sessha getting out some chalk to mark the walls with the way in and out.

As for heartmetal itself, you don't see any.  Uncle suspects that whatever the 'extraction' process is, it might involve dissolving the heartmetal, as there are plenty of pits in the walls and even the ceilings.  There are even some in the floor, although the central path remains open.  Three or four times you pass precious metals or resources in the mine, keeping track of them for later.

Eventually you find that this mine passage broke into a natural fissure, running over a hundred feet down and at least a hundred feet up.  It's a good twenty feet across.  On the other side you can make out a few natural caverns of various size that may well have more valuables.

Do you cross?  And if so, how?  There are more tunnels on this side to explore, but this fissure stopped the robots.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: January 08, 2024, 09:09:08 pm »

Innnnnteresting. I wonder what the robots would pay for any heartmetal we discover on the other side?

Use the webshooters to swing across with one passenger, then the one wearing the shooters swings back to collect another one.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: January 09, 2024, 02:04:36 am »

Innnnnteresting. I wonder what the robots would pay for any heartmetal we discover on the other side?

Use the webshooters to swing across with one passenger, then the one wearing the shooters swings back to collect another one.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: January 09, 2024, 03:41:50 am »

(1d3, Trence, Sessha, or Alice.) (2)

Willis never misses.

That doesn't apply to the surface he's webbing.  These are unfinished, natural caverns, still damaged from a meteor impact who knows how long ago.  The edges are not as solid as they should be.  Willis puts a line up, grabs Sessha for the first go.. and the anchor point cracks.  The two of them are falling down the shaft of doom.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: January 09, 2024, 03:59:43 am »

Well shit, time for some quick action with the web shooters to keep them from falling to their doom.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: January 09, 2024, 05:57:52 am »

Flying dragon rescue swoop!

And yes, Willis should also try not to die in case that doesn’t work.

Sessha: Armor One on Willis, if that has any chance of making gravity less impactful.

Alice can, uh… pray to whichever deity presides over safety nets, water or oddly positioned haystacks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 06:16:29 am by NJW2000 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: January 09, 2024, 07:32:59 pm »

Flying dragon rescue swoop!

And yes, Willis should also try not to die in case that doesn’t work.

Sessha: Armor One on Willis, if that has any chance of making gravity less impactful.

Alice can, uh… pray to whichever deity presides over safety nets, water or oddly positioned haystacks.
+1 to both of the first two. Alice should maintain her theological dignity.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: January 09, 2024, 09:52:27 pm »

(2) (1)

Willis shoots out a number of additional lines trying to slow them down.  This has a little success.  Some slip, some break, some don't grip properly, but they do eventually start slowing things down, far, far down into the abyss.  They bang against the walls a few times, but high level adventurers are tough, even the squishy wizard types.  The situation slowly goes towards what someone would call 'recoverable', until they're hit by a giant flying dragon, who is, unfortunately, too big to properly turn around inside the crack.  This breaks the normally strong webs, and everything continues hurtling down to nowhere.

At least Trence's armoured hide manages to take most of the wall hits, and he's large enough that the bashes and skirts come more often than usual, preventing an overwhelming amount of speed from being built up.  Sessha remains a highly experienced adventurer, and she begins burning through mana casting heal spells while Willis keeps their folded up dragon airbag system alive via party-use potions.

It's not certain how long this lasts before they hit bottom, but eventually Trence starts hitting both sides continually, and then, all of a sudden, there's a stop.

It is dark.  The lit glowstones were lost or shattered.  Sessha's still awake, although this is more due to her insane hitpoint count than anything else.  She grabs a fresh glowstone and lights it up.

The kids are knocked out but alive, Trence having reverted back to human.  Sessh is out of mana, and drinks a second mana potion.. this isn't a situation to be frugal.  A couple more casts and the kids get back into positive hitpoints, but Sessha lets them stay on the ground for now.

It is dark.  The darkness is dancing, and the walls are near at hand.  The crack yawns ahead.. and behind.  There is nothing to be seen in the distance above.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: January 10, 2024, 02:42:02 am »

Well that could have gone better, anyway I guess it's time to look around our immediate area and see if there's anything useful or dangerous nearby, then try to shout up to the rest of the party.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: January 10, 2024, 03:36:47 am »

Well that could have gone better, anyway I guess it's time to look around our immediate area and see if there's anything useful or dangerous nearby, then try to shout up to the rest of the party.

+1, except using the inventory communication rod or shadow messenger to talk to Alice and Waris.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: January 10, 2024, 04:49:28 am »

The comms rods won't work.  The fall was long enough that the party's inventory was split.  Sessha pulls both of them out of her pack.  That's no good.

Shadow Messenger does.  You let them know you're alive.

You may choose if you want to stay with the people above or below.  Give general instructions for the other group, please.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: January 10, 2024, 06:16:10 pm »

No wonder the robots decided nope.

Stay with below group. Give orders to above group to look into constructing a bridge or just examining the tunnels in general. Take it easy, there's probably no way for them to get down and it's going to be a long time before we can get back up.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: January 11, 2024, 01:38:56 am »

No wonder the robots decided nope.

Stay with below group. Give orders to above group to look into constructing a bridge or just examining the tunnels in general. Take it easy, there's probably no way for them to get down and it's going to be a long time before we can get back up.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 326