Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 113

Author Topic: FEF: Solrise Academy IC: Chapter 4: The Truesilver Knight  (Read 84442 times)

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Solrise Academy IC: Prologue: Blue Skies and a Battle
« Reply #1545 on: May 12, 2022, 09:24:38 pm »

Orrel was sitting next to Rika, leaning forward intently watching the showdown that almost everyone in the stadium was there to watch.

"So what do you think, Rika? The two of them are the best fighters in their class, in the year even. They both have impressive Artes, and are just generally extremely skilled. Steven there is going to be a major force for us to look out for when we fight his class. He's going to be hard to take down, but if anyone can by themself, it'll be Dora. I want to fight him, though I'm likely to see the same outcome as when I faced Dora. Still. I think I'm going to give Steven a slight edge here. Which would make our fight that much more important, since winner would take the crown as opposed to the possibility of a three way tie..."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Solrise Academy IC: Chapter 4: The Truesilver Knight
« Reply #1546 on: May 12, 2022, 10:48:20 pm »

"Sorry, I don't really know either of them that well, but didn't a bunch of y'all try to fight Theodora and lose? I'd probably put my money on her."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 13, 2022, 04:36:10 pm »

"Well, we did manage to beat her eventually. And that's why it's so interesting. The two of them rarely fight, so it's impossible to know which is stronger. Until today. But perhaps you're right. Dora is insanely strong."

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 13, 2022, 08:11:21 pm »

Reeve

For the young Polyion, the fight before her had drawn all of her attention. Though she would rather be concocting new speeches for herself, she still had a tendency to admire the great deeds that others do, and the two final fighters were among the most renown among the student body. She couldn't do anything but keep her eyes glued to the fight, regardless of who ultimately won.
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 16, 2022, 06:52:05 pm »

"Is he just that good, or does he have a powerful Arte?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 16, 2022, 07:09:42 pm »

"Yes. He's trained for a long time, he's extremely skilled with fighting just on his own right. And then his Arte, well. I'm sure we'll get a chance to see it, but his is extremely strong."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 17, 2022, 06:08:25 pm »

A wind blows through the stadium, as Theodora scans her opponent. She had done her preparation.

Steven Harrigan. Heir to the Harrigan legacy. Dubbed the Truesilver Knight by those aware of his true capabilities. A skilled swordsman, with a style all his own; rumours were that he was trained by the best fighters in Erebia. However, Theodora figured she could match him, skill for skill. She’d seen him fight; he was a little stronger, but she was faster, more agile, quicker on the draw.

His Arte, Sharpening. All that was known about it publically was that it manifested in the form of him summoning razor-sharp blasts of wind from his sword. She’d seen it in action a few times, most recently in their fight against the Seekers of Calamity at Blackby; while their weapons were strong, his sword had cut through Fiends like a knife through hot butter.

All in all, his Arte was among the least dangerous in Class 3-A’s. It was nothing like Katarina’s power over temperature; she could freeze the very ground she walked upon, turning the world around her into a wintery wasteland.

Theodora’s eyes flitted briefly over to a large patch of frozen ground, the result of Katarina having fought off both Sloane brothers. Had it not been for a surprise attack by Alicia, Katarina might have remained in the fight. Dealing with Steven and Katarina at the same time would have been risky. Theodora’s Arte held no sway against Katarina’s; telekinetic manipulation wasn’t equipped to counter someone whose power was to lower the temperature of an entire area.

Tolstoyeva is a strong fighter. I should be thankful I didn’t have to fight her alone.

Nor was Steven’s power anything like Per or Elma’s; Elma’s power over acceleration made it nigh-on impossible to evade her projectiles, and Per’s lightning abilities were insanely powerful. Theodora had barely managed to evade his strikes had it not been for Joel’s Arte providing protection.

She eyed the surroundings. A few rocks, enough for cover or leverage.  Fallen frozen debris from where Katarina had been fighting. Sand beneath them.

The stage was set. The world was watching.

The Unstoppable Girl would not face her defeat today.

You were strong, Steven. But I won’t lose.

Her eyes were on Andreas for a moment, watching from the sidelines as medics treated him. He was watching her with rapt attention.

She couldn’t disappoint him. She wouldn’t disappoint Class 3-C.

Everybody...Kaede, Andreas, Lin...believe in me.

Theodora launched herself off to the side, channeling her Arte through her legs to give her an extra lift. While Telekinesis couldn’t grant her true flight – she wasn’t strong enough for that- she could jump far and jump fast. Focusing on a few nearby bits of debris, Theodora channeled her Arte once again.

To Theodora, she visualized her Arte, when used to pick things up or manipulate something, as if it were an invisible, extra limb, one with a short reach but strong muscle behind it. It was a training aid, one to help her focus her strong but unfocused power.  It was how she was able to fight from range; throwing nearby objects at her enemies, or her lance and shield. She wasn’t quite able to pick up a person yet, but she wouldn’t need to. Her Arte was best used as a scalpel, rather than a hammer.

The rocks she focused on shot into the air, Theodora’s Arte lifting them. With a grunt, she threw them directly at Steven, hurling them as fast as possible.

“Hm.”

The young princeling swung his sword once. With a single swing, the rocks were pulverized.

Good. This was what she needed.

Theodora was right behind Steven, having used the rocks to cover her.

This is my opening!

Theodora’s shield smashed into Steven’s back, propelled by her Arte. The swordsman stumbled forward, as her shield returned to her hand, her Arte drawing it to her like a magnet. She plunged towards Steven with her spear, her shield placed to block a ranged attack and her spear arm raised to plunge her spear down towards him.

Steven swung his sword once more.

A shockwave erupted at the point of contact between Steven’s sword and Theodora’s spear. Her eyes widened as the full force of Steven’s strength collided with her.

What the-

She had barely enough time to react. Theodora was flung aside, her Arte almost unconsciously kicking in to soften her impact as she landed in a crouched position, shield forward, propped up. Theodora’s wrung her arm out, feeling the residual force of the impact.

He’s so strong. How...?

Not enough time to consider these things. Steven was upon her within seconds of her landing. With a yell, he swung his sword down on her. Theodora, instinctively, slid away, but the rush of wind was enough to tell Theodora exactly what she’d evaded.

How strong is he? That can’t be his Arte, right?

Steven was already on the move, turning his blade to catch Theodora. This time, she was prepared. Focusing on his sword, she subtly moved it away, just enough that it wouldn’t touch her. This was her trump card, why the Unstoppable Girl couldn’t be stopped. Steven’s strike went close enough that she could feel the force, but wide enough that she could still retaliate.

My Arte isn’t strong enough to lift something too heavy, but it’s enough to manipulate their weapons.

Theodora thrust her lance forward, but Steven was already prepared. He swung his blade to parry the blow, knocking her lance away from himself, shifting onto his back foot.  Theodora hid a confident smile; at close range, she was sure she could beat him.

It was a dance between two skilled opponents, the Unstoppable Girl against the Truesilver Knight. Theodora pressed the offense, her lance giving her superior reach, but Steven could match her. For every thrust or swing she made, she was repulsed by a parry or a dodge. Theodora felt her pulse racing, barely managing to force Steven’s sword aside as he found a hole in her offense, his sword once again barely missing her.

Is this what I’ve been looking for?

Clash after parry after clash. Steven was matching Theodora, blow for blow. Silver against gold, grey against red. Her heart raced, in a way that only be described as the thrill of the hunt. Only Orrel had given her this feeling before, but not for nearly as long.

There was the emotional satisfaction of befriending others. That, she had experienced for the first time at Solrise. But this, this was a feeling she’d scarcely felt.

The feeling of a worthy opponent.

Her eyes spotted the tell-tale haze of Steven’s Arte. Theodora shunted his blade away, but as she did so, his sword suddenly thrust towards the ground, harder than she’d intended, kicking up a storm of sand. The spearmaiden instinctively shut her eyes, shielding her face with her shield arm to protect it from sand.

I didn’t do that. What happened?

Before she could react, however, Steven’s sword, shimmering through the cloud of sand it had kicked up, smashed into Theodora’s shield. Without proper bracing however, Theodora was not ready.

The force of the blow sent her flying, tumbling backwards towards the edge of the arena, as small clouds of sand kicked up in her wake.

Theodora shook her head, her shield thrown aside in her tumble, propping herself up with her spear. Steven approached her at a slow pace, his stance confident but wary.
“That is an interesting trick, Theodora. An excellent application of your Arte. If I didn’t know any better, I wouldn’t have realized what you were doing.”

He knew?

“I won’t lose so easily.”

Steven’s sword shimmered once more with the power of his Arte.
“I too have people I must prove myself to.”

Steven’s eyes searched the audience. Those cheering Theodora’s name. Those who had believed little of his capabilities.

His eyes settled briefly on Kaya, whose eyes were on him. Then back towards Theodora.
“I respect your skill and power, Theodora. The world gives you the praise you rightfully deserve. But….I can’t lose either.”

Steven swung his sword twice, and two visible waves of something sliced through the air. Theodora prepared herself to block them with her Arte; her shield was too far out of her range, but she could block these.

If these are projectiles, I can-

She felt for Steven’s waves with her Arte and….nothing. It was as if she were grasping thin air. No, less than that; air could push against her Arte. This was like trying to grab nothingness.

Huh?

The waves collided with Theodora, throwing her back.

I couldn’t...it was like there was nothing there!

The force behind the waves stung, shaking her as if she had been struck by Steven directly. Theodora winced. She couldn’t fight. Not like this.
“My Arte is not as powerful as yours, Theodora. I trained night and day to even reach a fraction of your power. All my life, I had those who believed I would never amount to anything, as the son of a rich family, one who others believed to have forgotten our origins. My Arte....none but I ever believed in it.”

Steven steps forward, the haze marking Steven’s Arte fading around his sword. Theodora tried to pull herself to her feet, but to no avail. She’d taken too much damage.
“My Arte is simple. It makes things sharper, nothing more. Its strength is mine alone.”

He places his sword to her neck. Theodora slumped to the ground, closing her eyes. For all that she had been defeated, she couldn’t help but feel a sense of satisfaction.

Finally. A fight I’ve craved. An equal. Someone who could....

“Everyone! We have a winner! Give a round of applause for Class 3-A!”

The stadium erupts into cheers, as Kaya leaps up in her chair, screaming and cheering. Steven lowered himself to his knee, offering Theodora his hand.
“Good match, Theodora.”

Theodora slowly, gingerly takes his hand.
"The same to you, Steven."

Kaya practically leaps out of her seat, cheering.
"Yes! Let's go! I knew you could do it, Steven!"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:06:36 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 17, 2022, 06:31:54 pm »

"Heh. This next fight should be interesting... Kaya, Steven fought quite well. You should go congratulate him in person."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1553 on: May 18, 2022, 12:49:55 am »

Lin, perhaps emboldened by Orrel's suggestion to Kaya, hesitantly rose and began to move her way toward where Theodora would be making her exit. She waited for the other girl to be properly out of the arena before speaking.
"Theodora, um, I want to- er, would you mind if I checked over your equipment?"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 18, 2022, 11:11:04 am »

After watching the fight, Kruger stood up from his seat and quickly closed the distance to Orrel, and ultimatively to Rika too.

"We have observed the fight from different angles. But there is one undeniable fact no matter where any of us have been seated:"
"Our next fight will challenge your capacities, class tactician. I am certain of this much."

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 19, 2022, 05:39:06 pm »

Orrel nodded to Kruger, staring contemplatively at the field.

"It seems that none of the rumors about him and his arte truly captured Steven's true strength. Their class in general is extremely strong. I hope to get to see just exactly how strong that arte is though..."

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 19, 2022, 07:17:10 pm »

"Either it truly has more strength than Kokkinos could handle, or it is such a different Arte that she was unable to handle it properly. While I do not wish to belittle Harrigan's prowess, I would still bet on the latter. And yet I'd hope to lose that bet, because an Arte that is different is much more difficult to plan around than an Arte that is powerful but straightforward."

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 19, 2022, 07:21:55 pm »

"Mmm, no, given how she was fighting against him, that arte just does something unexpected. I expect that any of us fighting one on one would quickly find ourselves on the ground much like Dora."

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 20, 2022, 06:37:12 am »

"Sounds like you intend to make us gang up on him while somehow avoiding getting ganged up by the rest of 3-A. I will await, with faint gleeful anticipation, your plan for how to shake up the Heaven of the Emperors."

Kruger's eyes wander towards the nearby Rika.

"Pardon, Riesenberg, I did not intend to overlook your presence."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 20, 2022, 01:11:04 pm »

"I probably might could get up close to 'em and teleport him into the thick of our class. Separate him out from his allies and put him in a position to get a stompin'."

She nodded to Kruger.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 113