Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 65256 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon 2
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2020, 02:13:18 am »

You know what will bring in the donations and money, a donkey jellyfish dolphin show!

Or maybe ten thousand donation boxes and zebras.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2020, 11:09:40 am »

Oh, I keep missing out on this Let's Play, sorry!

Good job on achieving 4.5 stars, BTW.

Any extinct animals that we haven't resurrected yet? I think we should get whatever extinct animals are left on the table, assuming the funds allow it.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2020, 11:20:04 am »

We’ve only resurrected the bluebuck, so far. Getting every available extinct animal would take up the entire zoo, but is there any specific species you’d like? Velociraptor would be fun, and I like Carnotaurus. Extinct animals are free, they just take time to create.

Also, I was thinking about the crocodile swamp. If we get all the available crocodilians, we’ll have to chop it up into a grid. I like the open design, though. It’ll be more difficult and dangerous, but what if we carefully figure out which species can coexist and get a lot of those? The ones that don’t work out can be released to the wild for a boost to our ratings.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:26:22 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 06, 2020, 01:23:11 pm »

Releasing to the wild sounds like something we should do anyway.

As for coexisting ... aren't all crocodilians cannibalistic based on body size? The ones that are of similar growth tolerate each other pretty well (while easier prey is plentiful) but gladly eat anything smaller than themselves. The exception is that mothers tend to be protective of very young ones. If this kind of behavior is modeled in the game, it could be troublesome to keep breeding crocodiles together even if the adults don't fight too much.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2020, 01:49:20 pm »

Maybe we could have a baby section?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2020, 02:41:18 pm »

Well given that we have the power of resurrection in our hands I say we use it to show our guests some truely unique animals that will leave them in wonder. As such I suggest we get a giant warthog so we have people left wondering "is that just a pig they bought from the local farm?".

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2020, 11:21:13 pm »

Victory?

January-March, Year 3.

Today, I started out mostly just fossil hunting and saving money for the things we have planned, such as the dolphin show and expanded crocodile population. Not very interesting, but we'll be able to do more fun stuff later.

We got upgraded jeeps as a reward for the $15,000 the tour had earned us. We adjusted the vehicles on the tour accordingly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know if I've ever seen that marine zoo gate. It says it requires $200,000 in marine animal donations.

Our Cuban crocodiles bred, building a nest at the foot of the volcano.

As a reward, we received a balloon bouquet. We'll get one of these every time we successfully breed an endangered or extinct animal.

I was surprised to find out about this mechanic. I got a message that our first dwarf crocodiles were "about to reach full size" and went to check up on them. Turns out Crocodylia's crocodilians get significantly larger after a few years.

We've got a good challenge to make three different exceptional animals within 2 months for $7,500. That shouldn't be too difficult, as long as we're picking the one-star animals.

We had an unusual guest in the lab while creating a new bluebuck to fit into the preexisting exhibit.

After the bluebuck, a pair of baby Sivatherium were added to our savanna enclosure.

Dodos joined the bongo exhibit, completing our set of easy to care for animals torn from Death's clutches.

The $7,500 was a pretty good reward for whatever untamable genetic power we may or may not have unleashed. We used it to buy a second unicorn to establish a breeding population.

We had to release some of our bongos to the wild to make room in the enclosure.

Our peafowl died out, so we replaced them with four new ones. Two males and two females, so this investment should last a while.

While fossil hunting, we hit one of the few mandatory challenges in the game. A power surge burnt out "all" our aquarium filters.

We only had a single filter to clean the marlin tank. It cost us $1,000 to replace it, but we can make that back very quickly and waiting for insurance would block us from getting any better challenges in the two months it takes them to process the claim.

It took us a while to find all the 1-star fossils. Although a bigger map is generally better, it does make it a lot harder to find fossils, and you need to find every fossil from the lower levels before you can find better ones. In the end though, we did it and the fossil finder was upgraded for the 2-star set.

Our namesake cannon apparently contained a quagga fossil.

The Sivatherium reached adulthood after one month.

We had to deal with a disease breaking out in the park in mid-March.

The way the disease treatment minigame works is that we get a series of clues to find the animal, cause, and cure for a disease. The fewer hints we use, the better our reward for curing the disease.

Super Bluebuck 2 proved to be the animal afflicted with "digestive difficulties". "Super" animals are created by scoring 90% or better on the creation minigame. They're a bit bigger than normal and get a variety of minor bonuses. They have a chance to pass the bonus on to their offspring, but the genetic improvements usually fade out after a few generations.

Surprisingly, poop turned out to be the cause of the disease. I just guessed it randomly based on proximity, so that will save us some money.

The hints are usually more subtle than this, but the first hint we got basically told us we needed a compost building.

While we worked on that, we got a new challenge. Three executives are visiting our zoo, and if they see enough endangered species we'll get a $10,000 grant. Tragically, this isn't the setup to a Three Stooges short.

Before dealing with anything else, all other concerns were briefly put on hold.

I feel like we're just getting started, so we'll stick around for a while. This swamp's still got plenty to offer us.

(By the way, Super Bluebuck 2 was cured. We received $4,899 for curing the disease with only one hint, bringing us to a current total of $22,289.)

An impressed visitor from the crocodile ride.

Zoo fame:5 stars!
Spoiler: Zoo map (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2020, 06:50:33 am »

Three years in and we already have 5 stars and a massive gate that's way fancier then the rest of the zoo.

Maybe its time to fancy up the zoo, BY PAVING THE ROADS WITH GOLD...   or something.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2020, 08:37:41 pm »

The grind

March-July, Year 3

We've hired a pair of paleontologists to help us locate all the remaining fossils. They cost $1,000 a month between them, but it'll save a lot of time that would otherwise be spent searching.

We've won the Exemplary Entertainment award for earning $100,000 in animal donations, and our beaver died of old age.

Our dodos have reached adulthood.

$25,000 in donations for the jeep tour resulted in another upgrade.

This baby camel was able to find a way to slip through the fence and enter the rainforest exhibit, briefly upsetting the delicate balance of the bongo/super dodo ecosystem before being returned to her correct enclosure.

Based on our financial reports over the past couple months, we switched our admission price to free. I'm pretty sure the $20 tickets were actually hurting us, since entrance tickets are such a trivial amount of our income in comparison to donations, and to a lesser extent food sales. People can't spend money on those things if they don't visit, after all.

Since extinct animals technically count as endangered, we impressed the three Stooges executives and won the $10,000 grant.

The first $3,000 worth of the money went into hiring a new keeper and getting two more Cuban crocodiles. There were already seven of them in the swamp through the original pair breeding, but this male and female should allow the population to survive for generations to come.

Checking up on our original wetlands exhibit, the flamingos have died out as well and the African buffaloes have declined down to two sisters. We could revive the exhibit by adding more of its original species, but I thought I'd ask the thread if you want to do that or replace it with something new.

We got a challenge offering to charge us $2,750 for a Sivatherium with several conditions, which is an animal we can manufacture a limitless supply of for free whenever we want. I went ahead and declined the offer.

Sometimes when looking for fossils, you come across a "joke prize" like a food dish or a treat for the animals. Just wanted to show off the bowl of berries now sitting impossibly at the bottom of the marlin tank as a result.

Hopefully the update wasn't too boring today, I just worked out that our current plans will require a huge amount of fossil hunting and about $50,000+, so I've been trying to get that done. We've got $54,048 now and the fossil finder is upgraded to the level required to dig up giant warthog bones, so we should be done with this waiting and digging shortly. Giant warthogs apparently require at least a 4-star fossil finder, so we may as well find all the fossils before we move on. I did try to find a literal golden path mod per King Zultan's suggestion, but I couldn't find anything like that. We do have a "tropical ruin" path that would fit the theme of our fences, and I did find a modded path based on the ones in Hell from the LucasArts Afterlife game, if we want to use that. Seems like it'd fit our name.

A baby zebra.

My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2020, 02:54:35 am »

I say we replace the flamingos and buffaloes, as we don't want to lose our rep and we still have a bunch of room in the zoo so we don't need be be getting rid of stuff to make the new things fit.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2020, 09:17:32 am »

I say we replace the flamingos and buffaloes, as we don't want to lose our rep and we still have a bunch of room in the zoo so we don't need be be getting rid of stuff to make the new things fit.

+1

BTW, I've just remembered that as I child, I liked to dick around in the Sandbox mode and unleash the animals against the visitors. I even liked to simply pit various animals against each others, and the result was that a half of the animals died from fighting each other, and the remaining ones were pooping everywhere and dying from diseases later on.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2020, 10:07:41 am »

+1 to replacing the buffalo, they served their purpose, lets get something a bit more interesting, like a giant anaconda or a bunyip because I don't know what it is and the price is different than everything else.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2020, 07:55:52 pm »

Dolphins and dinosaurs

July-August, Year 3.

At the beginning of July, we started on our dolphin area.

I'd have added the dolphins immediately, but we have to deal with a rather frustrating random animal supply. We can reroll an unlimited number of times, but it takes a while to get anything specific. Thankfully, cloning bypasses this whole system.

We had to suppress another "fear plague" when reloading teleported a guest into the bongo jungle. We sent all the guests who were affected at the moment we intervened to the cannon to calm down.

While we wait for dolphins to become available, (I had them earlier, but accidentally rerolled) we restored the African buffaloes per the 2-1 vote. The new flamingos can be added once they become available.

Our unicorns had a foal.

We've been offered a challenge to help heal an injured manatee and return it to the wild. There isn't much practical reason to do it, but I feel like we'd be a pretty poor zoo if we refused to help with this despite being able to do so effortlessly.

Conveniently enough, the manatee fit right into our dolphin tank.

We cleaned the manatee, healed her, gave her some time to rest and eat, and then released her back to the wild. Just in case you all want to make manatees a permanent exhibit at our zoo, I've kept some available on the animal menu for now.

Our new pilot whale fit in easily with the marlins.

On that note, we continue to have occasional problems with the marlins escaping their tank, but we can simply put them back whenever they do.

While still waiting for the requested animals, I decided to run some tests. Creating a small cage, I bought (and reloaded afterwards, just to spare us all the misery of waiting around the animal supply again) various species of crocodilian and tested their response to being presented with a young Cuban crocodile. An American alligator immediately tried to eat it. Less predictably, a gharial also attacked the baby. I had thought it might not, given that real ones are heavily specialized for fishing. The Nile crocodile also went for it. I tried that one since it's the vanilla crocodile, and I hoped the mod's code might block it. Even a Chinese alligator immediately attacked, despite being the same size as the crocodile.

Surprisingly, our original dwarf crocodile was willing to spare the juvenile when tested.

I checked the reverse situation, and offered a baby dwarf crocodile to a Cuban. That too resulted in no aggression, so we moved our entire swarm of dwarf crocodiles over to the swamp along with their toys and food. Unfortunately, the crocodiles quickly began to attack each other at this point. There wasn't really any rhyme or reason to the attacks, and smaller crocodiles showed the ability to attack larger ones. Since they were unable to coexist, we had to move the dwarf crocodiles back to their original enclosure. Still, it was nice for the few minutes it lasted.

What should be the final form of our crocodile swamp, since different species evidently can't be trusted together? A large grid of individually small exhibits containing a wide variety of species, or an open area with a giant swarm of Cuban crocodiles?

We participated in, and won, a charity raffle to benefit farm animals.

After a while, we eventually managed to get a new flock of flamingos.

Although it raised the possibility of delaying our dolphin show a bit, we went ahead and took this gamble.

It paid off.

I'd like to officially welcome our first dinosaur to the park.

He almost immediately went on a rampage, but we stopped him with a tranquilizer gun. Rampages are a concern with the larger dinosaurs, but solid fencing usually if not always keeps them in their enclosures long enough to subdue them without any real damage.

In any event, he soon woke up better behaved. We've provided him with dinosaur-shaped meat, which he seems to enjoy.

Once the tyrannosaur was settled in, we got our first bottlenose dolphin. We'll get another one soon, once we can afford it.

We hired a trainer for the dolphin so I don't have to play the minigame.

One of our new flamingos, enjoying the swamp.

My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2020, 08:07:03 pm »

I say the alligator swamp should be a number of smaller exhibits. That gives us the ability to have more variety in animals (which is always good), and also lets us make sure that the guests will actually be seeing animals over the whole tour area (rather than running the risk that they all decide to congregate in one area).
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2020, 08:11:58 pm »

I did originally want a great variety of crocs. Shame about the aesthetics of all those fences, but I'm guessing the computerized guests won't mind.

Our zoo is in Florida, it would make sense to have some manatees.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30