Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 65214 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 builds a zoo:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2020, 04:02:33 am »

+1 To the sharks as that is what I was going to suggest.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2020, 07:41:45 am »

As for sharks, let's get a whale shark. Maybe some baleen whales too for a giant marine animals tank, provided they get along well enough.
+1

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2020, 04:30:05 pm »

Sharks and or Whale Sharks sound fun. Can I also suggest a Yeti exhibit?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2020, 09:35:16 pm »

Shark tank

Spoiler: Zoo map (click to show/hide)

January-September, Year Five

Before we start on sharks, we've got to work on some problems that have emerged with guest satisfaction. While donations are still pouring in, we have more angry guests than I'd like. Since we're almost completely dependent on the donation flow to survive our massive upkeep costs, this could become a problem later on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've added restaurants to areas with too many unsatisfied guests that don't already have a nearby restaurant. One along the main tunnel to the aquatic section, and another in the hub. Sorry to lose one of the lava pits, but it's for the Greater Good.

Our aquatic section has always been the most popular guest area, but the safari hike has quickly grown to compete with it.

I was in the aquatic section considering how to boost the popularity of our undervisited normal and prehistoric sections when an alert went off.

An under-maintained fence on the Allosaurus exhibit weakened enough that the dinosaur was able to break through.

The DRT responded quickly, but this time the Allosaurus wasn't in a mostly deserted construction site. Guest 2096 was just outside the enclosure when the breakout occurred.

At least Guest 2097 getting stomped on flung around like a toy delayed the Allosaurus' rampage long enough for the DRT to get into position and recapture the dinosaur. The Allosaurus has been returned to his cage and given the strongest fencing available. Guest 2097 survived the attack, but is very angry with the Headshoots Zoo. At last report, he was leaving the Moon to visit an amusement park instead.

Excellent suggestion on the compost building, Duckman! Our animals collectively produce an enormous amount of poop, and this building will let us turn it into an asset. The building paid itself off within minutes of its construction.

That one compost building easily blew our admission and dolphin show profits out of the water and is singlehandedly competing with the concession sales of every restaurant and gift shop in the zoo. It is, by far, the single most valuable object in the zoo.

I don't think there's much reason to build another one though, since the one building is enough to handle our dung supply. We've put the building itself in the back of the prehistoric section, as far away from people as possible. Along with reducing our dependence on the often fickle donations, we were able to use the money to hire more keepers to solve a problem with the amount of poop in the safari section bothering guests.

By February, our T. rex achieved full size.

Over the next several months, we began building the whale tank. Progress was slow as we recovered from about 30 donors pulling their funding after Guest 2097's "unfortunate incident."

We also expanded the hammerhead tank, in anticipation of adding more sharks later.

Construction was then put briefly on hold due to an interruption.

A little girl fled down the yellow brick road as a maintenance worker rushed past, fixing the hole in the fence as the grizzly bear chased her.

Nobody was hurt in the breakout, as a zookeeper was able to tranquilize the bear before he got very far.

At least the bear wasn't all that stressed by his brief taste of freedom. Once the tranquilizers wore off, he promptly decided to take a nap again by his pond.

Our Spinosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Triceratops are all adults by now.

After that brief incident of terror was over, we bought and housed our whale shark.

Not long after, two humpback whales were added to the mix.

Two pairs of mako and tiger sharks fit in happily with the hammerheads.

Some months after that, we added the yeti exhibit Happerry suggested.

The yeti exhibit and our concentrated effort to gather up all the lucrative poops won us the Highest Quality Exhibits award, with a $40,000 prize.

That money was very helpful in funding our last shark exhibit, a pair of great whites.

With the rest of our prize money, we were able to afford the second walker pen.

A humpback whale mother breaches as her calf swims nearby.

92/95, and often spiking to 94.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 09:55:01 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2020, 03:27:15 am »

Looks like we need more maintenance guys.

And maybe some new unicorns.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2020, 07:14:03 am »

The regular animals could use some more multispecies exhibits. How well do various primates get along?
I see chimpanzee, gorilla, mandrill, and orangutan all listed under rainforest.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2020, 12:08:27 pm »

Have we been designating staff to exhibits? It would probably cut down on the number of keepers we need if the ones taking care of the safari area don't keep trying to walk halfway across the zoo to take care of the regular exhibits and vice-versa.

And we could probably do with some more diverse exhibits further in to try drawing in guest(maybe designate a tour guide too?). Kind of problematic with the dinosaurs though, since the big carnivores don't mix with anything.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2020, 11:46:46 pm »

Moon of the Apes

Spoiler: Zoo Map (click to show/hide)

September-January, Year Five and Six

Have we been designating staff to exhibits? It would probably cut down on the number of keepers we need if the ones taking care of the safari area don't keep trying to walk halfway across the zoo to take care of the regular exhibits and vice-versa.

We have, yes. This is our collection of staff at the start of this update. I like to name them after the animals they're assigned to, to help me keep track. You can't see it in the picture, but MooseCrocTiger is also responsible for the Yeti. RooPeng's name was outdated, he's actually responsible for the cheetahs rather than the kangaroos now. We could really use more keepers, particularly for the main safari area, but we do need to consider their $800 a month price tag. Per Zultan's suggestion, we hired two more maintenance workers just after the image was made. We also went ahead and tried a new zookeeper for the main safari area. The poop in there is a major issue.

A minor tweak to the shark tank's foliage won us an award.

The prize money plus a bit of our reserve funded the return of unicorns to Headshoots.

We've hired a new zookeeper to care for both our walker exhibits, taking some weight off JungleCheetahPeng.

As I waited for money to build the multispecies ape exhibit, our unicorns produced a foal.

By the end of Year 5, we were able to build a primate wing with a multispecies exhibit housing gorillas, chimps, mandrills, and orangutans. I took the liberty of adding one of our newly researched animal houses next door to display smaller primates.

At a rating of 94, we are inches away from being declared Best Zoo. With the prize money we'll earn, I'll buy a bunch of penguins and get us an award for that. That'll get us to 15 awards, winning us the Best Zoo in the World award as well. That'll give us $100,000, which will allow us to easily afford the AT-ST enclosure and complete our walker collection. If you've got any other suggestions, I'd be happy to try and add them in before we're done.

Once we're done, I'll take a break for a little bit and then we can start on Zoo Tycoon 2.

Our Spinosaurus happily roars over its home.

Zoo Rating:94/95
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:01:03 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2020, 04:30:24 am »

What about some deer and some of those animal houses?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2020, 05:43:15 pm »

The Best Zoo in the World

January-July, Year 6

"Hi! I'm Maria, and I'll be your tour guide today at the Headshoots Zoo!"

"Starting our tour with the safari hike, our first encounter is Headshoots' collection of Triceratops and Ankylosaurus. These giants provide us a glimpse into the ancient life of our homeworld. We'll encounter more like them later."

"If you'll look to your left, you'll see our lion pride. The lion is one of Earth's most iconic beasts, and has been a symbol of royalty for millennia."

"One of my personal favorite exhibits, this massive valley recreates the African savanna."

"The muddy exhibit here houses a large family of warthogs."

"Crossing the central hill, we can observe leopards, spotted hyenas, and African wild dogs."

"Not all savannas are in Africa. This exhibit houses the Indian blackbuck and the Australian kangaroo."

"Finishing our safari, we hope you enjoy this lagoon as much as its hippopotamus and flamingo residents do."

"Before we move on to the aquatic sector, fans of mechanized wildlife will be pleased to see our collection of walkers in their giant enclosures. Colossal AT-ATs, swift AT-STs, and classic AT-TEs have all found a home here alongside the more conventional animals, free of the tripwires and Ewok poachers plaguing their natural habitats."

"Here to welcome us to the aquatic sector are our pair of great white sharks."

"Accompanying them are the largest animals in the zoo, a pod of humpback whales and their whale shark friend. These gentle giants feed exclusively on tiny krill."

"At our crustacean house, many of these undersea arthropods are available for your observation and education."

"A frightening school of mako, hammerhead, and tiger sharks looms above us on the right, while lightning-fast marlins swim and leap on our left."

"Entering the main area of the aquatic sector, we travel past the many tentacles of our Pacific octopuses and lion's mane jellyfish."

"Make sure not to miss out on our award-winning dolphin show! While you're here, check out our pod of belugas and the tropical aquarium."

"The harbor porpoise completes our tour of the aquatic sector. These are some of the smallest of all marine mammals."

"Looping back through the central hub, olive baboons and the endangered Mexican gray wolf introduce us to the golden paths of the land animals' chamber."

"A grizzly bear watches over the way down the western half of this chamber."

"A Himalayan yeti can be spotted here, at the intersection before our reptile house and aviary. If you're hungry, one of Headshoots' many restaurants is here to assist you."

"Reindeer, saltwater crocodiles, cheetahs, and Bengal tigers occupy the center of this chamber."

"A herd of Canadian moose and unicorns provides a truly mythical viewing experience."

"Africa, Malaysia, and South America come together here for our herd of bongos, giant anteaters, and Malaysian tapirs."

"Next door, our insect house provides a safe haven to a wide variety of exotic bugs."

"Please be quiet here so as not to disturb our special guest from the Greater Republic of Hong Kong, Winnie the baby panda."

"At the far end of this chamber, Headshoots houses the Moon's largest collection of nonhuman primates."

"Up next is our famous Iceberg Lou-...(Huh, that's new. The tour program isn't even updated yet.) Uh, um, please enjoy our penguin colony, before ascending the steps to see a collection of bats generously donated by...the Wayne Foundation?"

"The last area on our tour is the prehistoric sector. Here, we can view Headshoots' diverse array of Earth's most ancient life, resurrected by the Ssarscel Method. To begin, our Pterodactyl and lepospondyl houses showcase many species of pterosaurs and primordial tetrapods."

"Here we see our feisty Allosaurus and lumbering family of Megatherium, or giant sloths. Careful not to touch the electric fence!"

"The well-armored Stegosaurus was once a common sight in North America."

"The Spinosaurus is the largest of all carnivorous dinosaurs."

"Finally, I'd like you to meet our unforgettable king of the dinosaurs, Tyrannosaurus rex himself!"

"We hope you had fun on your visit to the Headshoots Zoo! Please come again soon! Souvenirs are available at any of our several gift shops."

Spoiler: Zoo Map (click to show/hide)

I hope everyone enjoyed building the Headshoots Lunar Facility! I had a great time putting together all of your suggestions. After I added the reindeer and animal houses for King Zultan, all we had to do was tweak things to get that last 1% boost in zoo rating. It was surprisingly difficult, but we eventually made it over the line in a string of awards. We earned "Most Popular Zoo" for reaching the guest cap, which meant we were at 14 awards when we finally earned Best Zoo. As a result, we won Best Zoo and Best Zoo in the World simultaneously. Best Zoo in the World came with a free baby panda, which triggered an additional reward for having one.

I'm going to take a break for a week or two, while I prepare to rework the OP for Zoo Tycoon 2 and maybe work on a Dwarf Fortress mod. I'd prefer to keep using this thread, rather than start several more for subsequent tycoon games. I'll rename it when we start Zoo Tycoon 2.

Zoo Tycoon 2 plays much like this one, with its largest change being that we can now go into 1st-person mode and take care of the animals ourselves. The Dinosaur Digs and Marine Mania expansions were both remade for the sequel, Dinosaur Digs being renamed Extinct Animals. Along with those, the new Endangered Species and African Adventure expansions were released. African Adventure adds a collection of new African animals, as the name would suggest. Endangered Species also adds a bunch of endangered animals, but more importantly it adds elevated paths, sky trams, and jeeps so we can set up an actual safari ride this time. Extinct Animals also allows us to build a lab and dig up fossils to clone dinosaurs ourselves. If there are no objections, I'd also like to include the excellent Paranoia expansion mod by Z-Studio. This mod adds cryptids and mythical creatures, such as chupacabras and unicorns. It also includes a few outright fictional animals, such as graboids.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:43:27 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2020, 08:15:22 pm »

:D Love it!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2020, 03:51:58 am »

This turned out whey nicer than the zoos I made when I played the game.

Also what do you have in mind for a dwarf fortress mod?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2020, 09:42:30 am »

I want to make a Spongebob total conversion, partially as practice for something else.

*Oops, I forgot to include the "normal" section in the final zoo map. Fixed.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:44:07 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2020, 03:47:00 pm »

I want to make a Spongebob total conversion, partially as practice for something else.

*Oops, I forgot to include the "normal" section in the final zoo map. Fixed.

As opposed to default Dwarf Fortress, where Spongebob is a villain that comes by and kills all your dwarves.  Makes sense.
EDIT: Nevermind, they become harmless when they wear trousers.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2020, 07:18:35 pm »

Awesome! Really nice touch with the guided tour for the final post, bravo. Though it looks like I've been slacking re: the rusty fences...   

Long live Headshoots!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30