Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Internal Affairs Phase  (Read 19627 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -2, Design Phase
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2020, 06:40:54 am »

Quote from: Archer Rapid-Fire Gun
[...]
Initally, this was gonna use reloadable chambers, but, well, we allready have cartridges, so lets skip that.
I think they're paper cartridges? With separate percussion caps. Might not work in the way you're thinking.

Anyway, the Victoria looks like a decent entry-level airship, and I like the Hexahorse as an entry-level vehicle (esque thing). I could be persuaded to change my votes, though.
Quote from: Year -2 Design Phase Votebox
Makka Airship (1)
Archer Rapid-Fire Gun (2) Iridium, AseaHeru
'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigble (6) Iridium, TricMagic, ConscriptFive, Happerry, Taricus, NUKE9.13
Heavy Alfred Bombardment Locomotive: (1) Doomblade
Johnstone's Hexahorse (4) Madman, ConscriptFive, AseaHeru, NUKE9.13
Vinci Attack Craft: (3) Doomblade, TricMagic, Taricus
"Big Boy Blue" Revolving Pneumatic Steam Cannon: (1) Kashyyk
Walter-Wallace Steam-Powered Walker: (2) Kashyyk, Happerry
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2020, 09:28:18 am »

Makka Airship (1)
'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigble (6) Iridium, TricMagic, ConscriptFive, Happerry, Taricus, NUKE9.13
Vinci Attack Craft: (4) Doomblade, TricMagic, Taricus, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2020, 09:44:45 am »

'Clear Sky' Smokeless Powder.
As the Empire's glorious march into foreign territory continues, technology marches to keep up with the demands of the imperial army. the new 'Clear Sky' powder is revolutionary, in that it no longer produces the large cloud of annoying smoke which generally tends to plague the user of a firearm (And soils our officers fine garments with soot to boot!). Whilst of higher power and likely requiring firearms either be designed around or adapted to using the new powder, the advantages it offers would be immeasurable.

'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun
The Titanslayer is the newest, nastiest piece of artillery to be devised by man. This rifled breach-loading artillery piece, designed as a 'mountain gun' (Read: man/mule-portable) fires a light 75mm shell over long distances and is, relatively speaking, an accurate artillery piece. It's primary munitions are shrapnel and HE (Armour Piercing having been dismissed as worthless; what kind of man could wear armour to stop an artillery shell?) and loaded as singular, 'quick fire' cartridges as opposed to shot and powder being separate components.

Makka Airship (1)
'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigble (5) Iridium, TricMagic, ConscriptFive, Happerry, NUKE9.13
Vinci Attack Craft: (4) Doomblade, TricMagic, Taricus, Madman
'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun: (1) Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 26, 2020, 09:51:38 am »

'Clear Sky' Smokeless Powder.
As the Empire's glorious march into foreign territory continues, technology marches to keep up with the demands of the imperial army. the new 'Clear Sky' powder is revolutionary, in that it no longer produces the large cloud of annoying smoke which generally tends to plague the user of a firearm (And soils our officers fine garments with soot to boot!). Whilst of higher power and likely requiring firearms either be designed around or adapted to using the new powder, the advantages it offers would be immeasurable.

'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun
The Titanslayer is the newest, nastiest piece of artillery to be devised by man. This rifled breach-loading artillery piece, designed as a 'mountain gun' (Read: man/mule-portable) fires a light 75mm shell over long distances and is, relatively speaking, an accurate artillery piece. It's primary munitions are shrapnel and HE (Armour Piercing having been dismissed as worthless; what kind of man could wear armour to stop an artillery shell?) and loaded as singular, 'quick fire' cartridges as opposed to shot and powder being separate components.
I'm pretty these would both be rather tricky.
Smokeless powder was a late-19th century development (1882 for Poudre B).
The Titanslayer is basically WW1-level artillery.

Anyway, I'd be fine with the Vinci instead of the Victoria, but I don't want to do both.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 26, 2020, 09:54:06 am »

Well, Pre-WW1. More Franco-Prussian war than anything else. But I'll agree it might be a little difficult to do, though I'd say that it would still be worthwhile to do so.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2020, 09:57:44 am »

Well, Pre-WW1. More Franco-Prussian war than anything else. But I'll agree it might be a little difficult to do, though I'd say that it would still be worthwhile to do so.
You do realise that, while the Empire is eternal and will never be divided, if it were to divide (which it won't), both sides would have the same technology? So nobody would gain an advantage from your super-advanced artillery. However, they would be limited in their capacity to improve on it, which would make the game less interesting.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2020, 10:01:18 am »

I'd say it would make the game more interesting; it means the teams (Should the empire divide, which is impossible) can devote design actions to more wondrous and amazing creations.

EDIT: It'd also provide a weapon to which the teams can make designs around as well.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2020, 10:58:29 am »

I'd say it would make the game more interesting; it means the teams (Should the empire divide, which is impossible) can devote design actions to more wondrous and amazing creations.

EDIT: It'd also provide a weapon to which the teams can make designs around as well.

I mean, the problem is that it doesn't use the theme in an interesting way.  Starting designs set the tone and theme of a game.  What's the point of having a steampunk AR if you're going to have decent conventional starting tech anyways?  That just encourages further iteration on conventional tech.  "You see, it's a Panzer tank, but powered by a steam-core!  Though I could be persuaded to vote for the steam-core Bismarck this turn."

But if we get weird now, we're encouraging shit to stay weird because you already have a baseline of battle-trains, light mechs, and airships.  It terms of mechanics, it stays an easier roll to keep going in that direction than pioneering in boringly conventional tech.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2020, 10:59:55 am »

I think they're paper cartridges? With separate percussion caps. Might not work in the way you're thinking.

They got separate caps, but at the least we are looking at semi-metallic cartridges, otherwise the thing would just explode in ones hand.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2020, 11:37:03 am »

They got separate caps, but at the least we are looking at semi-metallic cartridges, otherwise the thing would just explode in ones hand.
I mean, this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt%27s_New_Model_Revolving_rifle used paper cartridges. Admittedly, it did have the tendency to sometimes explode in one's hand, but not all the time.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2020, 12:06:29 pm »

Sure, but ours are breachloading fer some reason, which raises questions of "where do we stick the percussion caps?".

That or Waffle has really confused terminology and thought that "loading from the front of a cylinder still counts as breach-loading", in which case, thanks fer confusing me.
Highly Opinionated Fool

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2020, 12:40:15 pm »

to be perfectly fair, no one really understands how guns work.  It's a bit like evolution; lots of theories, but no one is certain which one is correct.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2020, 01:20:18 pm »

guys youre not reading far enough into what the gm is saying

from his updoot: "You have been instructed to continue with your duties. To help bring the military back home."

Therefore I propose the following for the glorious preservation of our empire and it's soldiers, well the important ones, and not at all for any sort of withdrawal.

Rigid Envelope, Tethers, Rudders, Engines, And Turbines

The RETREAT is an airship filled with an unspecified lighter-than-air gas. A steam engine provides plenty of power to the turbines that make the airship go places without drifting helplessly in the wind. RETREATs are able to house crew and are used exclusively to transport Officers from the front to safer more idyllic locations relatively quickly. The Officer's Club on the RETREAT contains a fully stocked bar and kitchen for drinking and eating, a game table and a few decks of cards for entertainment, and comfortable racks for sleeping.

A extra compartment can be secured to the underside of the gondola housing the crew and officers to hold even more officers, though they will be of lower rank than those in the airship proper, and so only have mildly acceptable sleeping racks and access to watered-down liquor, bread, and dried meats.

Again, the RETREAT is used for transporting officers and is in no way related to any kind of reduction of force anywhere within or without the empire.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2020, 01:38:43 pm »

I didn't confuse that terminology and I blame wikipedia for having nonexistent information on percussion caps. It took way too long to realize that they were separately loaded in the first place. Never did it occur to me that capslock firearms with paper cartridges can't be breech-loaded.
Unless someone objects, I'll be retroactively changing the gun next update to be front-loading so it can work with paper cartridges.

Anyways. There's a tie for the second design that has to be solved before I can continue. So. Probably solve that at some point, if it pleases any of you.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2020, 02:51:20 pm »

Caplocks can be breachloaders, the problem is they cant really for revolvers(unless you got a really funky overbuilt cylinder, in which case, why?). But glad we got this cleared up. Archer Gun inbound edit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26