Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82865 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

they were so long i couldnt get past turn 120 in my first game. It was crazy, the turn times were like WITP AE.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like the betas are no longer beta.

1.05 is officially here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4866337

CHANGES:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've admittedly put this one to bed for a bit while they work on logistic changes and balance. How about everyone else? Time to jump back in?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Give it a couple of days to get out all the bugfixes maybe?  :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

I've admittedly put this one to bed for a bit while they work on logistic changes and balance. How about everyone else? Time to jump back in?
The new logistics system automates some aspects, but at the cost of being unsolvable. With the new system, logistic points are kinda-sorta redirected to where they're needed, so you don't have to meticulously place traffic signs everywhere and/or rebuild the road network to do its job.
But previously, by doing so you could have spent enough time on your network to make the LPs go exactly where you wanted them to. Now there's just too many moving parts with varying parameters as the pull points shift and change constantly.
The overall experience is more user-friendly out of the box, but can frustrate players looking to min-max strained logistics in later game stages.

Other changes are mostly cosmetic (maybe apart from more control over planet generation).

IMHO whether you want to play this version or not depends on how you felt about the old logistic system.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had mentioned that I think aircraft could wait for a while because different planets would have different requirements for being flyable. 
This article discusses it in far more depth, and it is a bigger problem than I imagined

For one thing, you can't fly in the traditional sense without an atmosphere.  The closest thing to flight on an airless world would be rockets and orbital paths.  I also hadn't realized that the thinner the atmosphere, the harder and less practical aviation becomes.  Look at how long it took to get the terran plants worked out.  Yeah, aircraft, rocket ships, and satellites would probably be more of an expansion project.

I still think the game needs naval craft, however.  Many worlds have something liquid that blocks the way, and crossing it comes down to finding something that can survive the heat and/or corrosion.  And frankly, if the planet is survivable by the people with their Environmental Suits, they've probably come a long way towards solving that problem, even if us primitive Terrans haven't quite figured it out yet.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course, diesel engines seem to work fine no matter what the atmosphere is.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LOL, I hadn't noticed that before!  Yes, a system based upon the compression and expansion of air probably shouldn't work without an atmosphere... :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chemical combustion firearms work fine too - which is a pity, b/c it would actually give the gas-pressure firearms a niche instead of "they use a small amount less supply". If nothing else, including atmosphere in munitions so they could combust to fire should mean they need even more supply in that sort of atmosphere...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:03:40 pm by E. Albright »

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chemical combustion firearms work fine too - which is a pity, b/c it would actually give the gas-pressure firearms a niche instead of "they use a small amount less supply". If nothing else, including atmosphere in munitions so they could combust to fire should mean they need even more supply in that sort of atmosphere...

As far as I know, smokeless powder functions perfectly fine without atmosphere as it carries its own oxidizer.

The dev has stated that he would likely prioritize navies over air forces in future expansions or updates because it'd allow for many more interesting planet types and map designs. The main reasons all our planets are so dry compared to Earth is because lolnonavies.  :D

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. TIL.

IIRC, the biggest reason navies are getting prioritized is that there was a poll for additions and navies were top of the list.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the poll had the disclaimer "I'll do what I want, but let me know what you want and maybe we'll agree".

Actual disclaimer:
I hope that within a few weeks I can shift time to actually adding stuff to the game. And I would like to have some player input by that time. I am not going to do what the majority wants, but I do want to take it into account. I don’t want to spend my time on something only a small minority of players wants to see added :)
https://www.vrdesigns.net/

So a bit of both perhaps?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Time to have all my navies sunk those horrific abominations in the ocean that have previously been nothing but fluff.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone try the air forces beta patch yet? I've not had a chance but I'm happy to see it's described as taking atmosphere and gravity into account when determining what is viable and what isn't - it feels like a step in the right direction WRT the saminess that afflicts this so much more than it seems like it should...

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This looks like a ton of fun. Some of the screenshots look great, especially the worlds with huge city ruins sprawling across the map. Though I imagine generating that is rare.

Can you create a world like Arrakis? Or a civilization alpha centuari (the original, not the remake) style world?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorta, and yes, in that order. It's easy to get very arid worlds, but it's hard to get very arid worlds that support life. It's not terribly difficult to get moss-and-grass-covered weird-colored planets with fauna that wants to eat your face.

[Edit: somehow I forgot they added start options to force alien life to exist on planets. So yeah, you can pretty easily Dune your own thing if you want.]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:45:05 am by E. Albright »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49