Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k  (Read 23524 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:55:14 am »

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, heretics, mutants -- and far, far worse. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

These are not the tales of those times, nor of mankind's triumphant rise and subsequent fall, nor of the eldar's unquestioned primacy and desolate despair in the wake of near-annihilation, nor of the numberless orkoid's wanton slaughter and perpetual mirth. Rather, these are the tales of a lesser, stranger race, in older days going onward, and the struggles and sagas known, perhaps, to them and them alone. The whims of fate paired with the breadth of their wisdom will determine whether they survive the horrors that await, if not intact, alive and untainted, while the narrowest of branching paths promises they be vaunted and exalted to an empire that may bring the galaxy to shake.

Such thoughts are as far from the present as the rise of man from the first rising of algal murk on Terra's cradle. In this distant era, the most fundamental questions are to be answered and they, more than any other, will determine the future course.

In the infancy of the Milky Way Galaxy, where did the star system soon to be home to this struggling race coalesce?

The Galactic North: In the here and the now distant yet not absent, the system can take solace in idyllic isolation but in time, the story of the eldar will be told and the prospect of enduring its ending is slim to none.
The Galactic East: Only one system amid a sea of nameless stars, the potential for life arising is great indeed, as is the progress that such pitched competition will force on nascent species.
The Galactic West: Farflung and sparse in density, the teeming dark is broken only by the light of nebulae which clog its ranges and give rise to esoteric superstitions among the rare few reared and raised within their embrace.
The Galactic South: Ancient beyond reckoning and bearing thin soil for lively seed, of no consequence to the reaches beyond, its scarcity could be argued as a purchase of precious time to the desperate.
The Galactic Center: Silent now, yet treacherous and terrible in the times to come, any risen here would face man at its grandest height of mercy and wonder, and suffer along their side, legacies of the past forgotten in favour of rabid zeal upon the onset of its dreaded fall.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:31:44 pm by Ardent Debater »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 01:33:51 pm »

...I'm thinking either West, or South with an aim for being a silicon-based species if such is viable.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:52:43 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 01:45:45 pm »

South
and
...I'm thinking either West, or South with an aim for being a silicon-based species if such is viable.

Might be interesting!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 01:46:00 pm »

Galactic North of course!

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 02:08:49 pm »

Spoiler:  GM Note (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 02:18:08 pm »

Ah, ok. Fair enough.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 02:18:47 pm »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 02:38:15 pm »

By the way, have a thing.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 02:39:21 pm »

I don't know what most of those species names are but ok.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 02:47:48 pm »

I don't know what most of those species names are but ok.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:59:38 pm by Ardent Debater »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 03:13:58 pm »

South, as the relative scarcity will mean that this section is not a target for colonists, thus giving us time to evolve, hopefully. Does this make sense? If I’m not making sense, tell me

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 03:52:12 pm »

West Should I make like a votebox?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 03:57:07 pm »

Code: (Votes) [Select]
South (3) Glass, C2, NG
North (1) Lidku
West (1) Chaoskl

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 05:34:46 pm »

Code: (Votes) [Select]
South (3) Glass, C2, NG
North (1) Lidku
West (1) Chaoskl

The Galactic South, thousands of light-years away from the terrors to come, it is a region far-afield, but the reach of eternal war is far reaching. For now, the planetoids slam and gnash in primordial flux soon to give shape to a star system. Be it dismal or grand, it will be home to one among the Milky Way's myriad races. In the ill-defined center of the swirling display, a cluster of superheated gas burns hot and from it, waves of scorching radiation scour the unworked material. For millennia it will be inimical to all but the hardiest and strangest of life, but in time, it may settle and permit life's emergence.

Countless epochs later, how lenient is the sun's radiation?

Gentle: What little radiation the star emits has little to no bearing on its satellites, such that the dim blue light of its mass is more comforting than piercing. Life would grow here in leisurely ease, but who can say what waits beyond the cradle?
Reasonable: Not unfamiliar to Sol, the sun's radiation is moderate, its dangers are present but not overshadowed by the luminance its orange blaze offers. Much life crawls from the murk surrounding these, this would not be the first and far from the last, different from the others only in what route it chose.
Harsh: Gargantuan and wrathful, the heat and radiation beneath its red glare is raw and hateful in its abundance. What life occurs in its orbit would know only struggle, but the reaches beyond would seem akin to paradise, in the extent of radiation gnawing at their flesh-analogue in the background if nothing else.

Spoiler:  The Home System (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:41:42 pm by Ardent Debater »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21