Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.  (Read 52402 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: I am developping a Sandbox, citybuilder game with physics
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2020, 03:23:25 pm »

Indeed.

Although for some reason my eye wants the edge of those mountains to pick up some of the light so they pop more from the background.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2020, 06:39:30 pm »

Well Starver, that is a lot of things to read, thank you for the suggestions.
I got carried away. I think I was supposed to be mowing the lawn, at the time...

Hum... I just realised, maybe I mislead you by using the word "parallax" I wasn't refering to anything in astrophysic  :P  but this specifically : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tBce8eFqE
No, I understood that (I think, gonna click through the link in a mo[1]), my 'model' actually doesn't do astronomical/seasonal parallax. But it could do, if you:
a) Recalculate asc/dec (or just the one?) afresh every time from the original bare data, basically doing everything like the planets, etc, but with less visible effect on relative positions (maybe none!) or,
b) At the very initialusation, calculate the sweep-range (across the fundement) by doing comparison adjustments for the extremes perpendicular to their sun-origined vector (and now you have to establish how big the oblate spheroid is, previously not something to worry about), and for any where it matters at all (>=1px?) note this range and the phase of the annual cycle where it counts. Probably won't affect anything[2].

[1] Guessing it'll be proportionally tracking layers of background to create an impression of perspective as you 'move' across the foreground..? Will find out shortly...

[2] Helluvan Easter-Egg, though. Some smart-Alec player works out a decent approximation of how many parsecs your random data had originally placed your random-looking dot at (later doing something to work out what local AUs are scaled to?), after filtering out the noise of each spot conforming to a fine-mesh of grid junctions, cross-comparing between arbitrarily rotated versions of the same segment of sky (only visible for part of each 'night' for a little over half the 'year'!). Someone would do it.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2020, 10:13:29 am »

Although for some reason my eye wants the edge of those mountains to pick up some of the light so they pop more from the background.
Yes, i'll fix this.

Starver, you lost me haha.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2020, 10:19:39 am »

I wrote an update on kickstarter hehe, here is it : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geopi/war-industry-a-sandbox-city-builder-with-physics/posts

Soylent green and more evil stuff.
 I have developped the policy system and added a bunch that affects food production and population control.

The most notable one is the

Alternative Food Production Plan :
Allows cannibalism and the uses of human bodies as a ressource to produce food in factories. It unlocks a new production focus in factories (Human bodies -> Food)

But before digging more into the subject, here is an official gouvernemental announcement :

Would you like to know more ?

I'll let you build the dystopian society of your dream (sic!). With this first bunch of policies it is possible to bring together the worlds of "Welcome to Gattaca" and "Soylent green" .

Now that the policy system is built, there are vast possibilities for more contents so I will add the tool to make an utopia instead, or a balanced society. But before going further into this I will finish the tradition and ethos system  which add more depth into policies, and more inertia into the happiness system, It will define what is acceptable for a population and what is not.

Added policies :

Food Rationning : Will reduce nutrition value of the population but will keep it above starvation level (75%). Decrease food consuption.

Harsh Food Rationning :
Will reduce nutrition value of the population but will keep it just above starvation level (51%). Decrease food consumption.

Free food distribution : Food is free for the population, increase happiness, Increase public health. No income from food domestic sales.

Biological food production : Decrease waste and pollution generated by food production. Reduces productivity.

Healthy food program :
Teach the population which foods are healthy and which arent. Only effective if nutrition is at 100% and more effective with a high literacy value (WIP).

Ban meat consumption : Increase nutrition value of each food, Decrease happiness. Will have some effect on diplomacy. Will reduce tourism(WIP).

Integration of the Carceral System into the Alternative Food Production Plan  (ICS-AFPP): Prisoners are automatically  turned into « human body » ressources and therefore can be processed into food. Reduces crimes (WIP), reduces population, reduces population happiness, increase food.

Allow assisted suicide : Increase deathrate, increase global productivity, small cost per death, Increase approval of population.

Eugenism : decrease birthrate, increase public health in proportion to the amount of newborns, Decrease happiness.

Enforced Eugenism : Increase deathrate and carceral population (WIP). Increase public health, greatly decrease happiness.

Ban immigration : No immigration small cost per rejected colonist, increase carceral population.

Ban Emigration : No emigration, decrease happiness.

Recycling : 20% of wastes are turned into ores. Small cost per factory.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:24:07 am by geoffroypir »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2020, 01:42:12 pm »

This looks amazing and I can't wait for something playable. To be honest, from the screenshots in the first post, I was expecting a galaxy full of planets with procedural civilizations in random ages, but this is fine, too. :)

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2020, 07:12:06 pm »

I was expecting a galaxy full of planets with procedural civilizations in random ages
Keep reading the updates then  ;D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »

Hehe. I have a friend who keeps campaigning for games to let him use prisoners as food. I forwarded that KS post as soon as it showed up in my inbox. He approved. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2020, 05:32:48 pm »

hehehehe if only dwarf fortress had this to deal with the waves of 20 soap makers migrants.

I have thought that when I will create the tourism system and propaganda policies It will be maybe possible to have a self sufficient food production only with the volume of immigrants. with this set of policies :

-AFPP
-ICS-AFPP
-Ban immigration (as it turns most of immigrants into prisoners)

high immigration incentives and some propaganda to hide the gruesome truth.

That is next level dystopia. But we now  that during WWII many residents close to extermination camps pretended to ignore theirs real usage... you now, the common good...

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2020, 09:53:49 pm »

Asgarus, are you still holding my beer ? You ll like this update :

Galaxy generation !

This night I have worked on procedural generation of galaxies. This will be used to then populate stellar systems with planets.

For now there are 11 types of galaxies. It uses a visual template to populate the galaxy so it is very easy to add more galaxy . I just need to find a galaxy picture and put it it black and white and my program will do the rest to read it and generate a galaxie with star density depending on the color.

Zooming in and selecting a star.

Star characteristic are generated and spectral type are determied given the generated age, luminosity and mass. For now there are "only" main sequence stars but all spectral types are represented.

An irregular galaxy

An elliptical galaxy with 8500 stars

Sunday is my day off, so expect quick progress, I will probably present you with fully generated planetary systems with newtonian physics.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2020, 03:45:25 am »

This looks real neat, though I confess that kickstarting a project that's like 3 months old seems like uh, not a great idea to me.

Hope things turn out though, looks cool.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2020, 03:56:27 am »

Amazing :) This looks more and more promising!

Any plans yet on how to handle different cultures, architectural styles, etc. and how much of it will be modable?

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2020, 02:57:07 pm »

This looks real neat, though I confess that kickstarting a project that's like 3 months old seems like uh, not a great idea to me.

Hope things turn out though, looks cool.
Thank you. :)
I disagree on this, what I got in going public this early is a lot of public awarness, essential metrics, a lot of informations,  useful feedbacks, a lot of motivation and a bit more pressure to deliver updates . Actually the campaign went very fine considering the lack of promotion. If I keep updating regularly and show that this project is worth something I will retain many of people that supported me, and I will no more sail in uncharted seas for the next campaign. Someone that pledge hard earned money to a project is one of the most credible and concrete way to show that it is worth something.

Any plans yet on how to handle different cultures, architectural styles, etc. and how much of it will be modable?
Moddability is one of the core feature of my game engine. Basically, I try to make every features I add as moddable content. So my game is very data driven.
I have a lot of plan to generate culture, it will be basically a very simplified version of dwarf fortress generator.
Regarding architectural style, all building are associated to a specific set which will be associated to the culture and era.

For now, one way of making sprawling city is by using my "growable" system with random maturity level (when the growable stop to grow) . This makes varied NPC cities. It can also produces any ressources (material or not) or money with a specific "harvester".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:18:31 pm by geoffroypir »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2020, 08:00:03 am »

Moddability is one of the core feature of my game engine. Basically, I try to make every features I add as moddable content. So my game is very data driven.
I have a lot of plan to generate culture, it will be basically a very simplified version of dwarf fortress generator.
Regarding architectural style, all building are associated to a specific set which will be associated to the culture and era.

For now, one way of making sprawling city is by using my "growable" system with random maturity level (when the growable stop to grow) . This makes varied NPC cities. It can also produces any ressources (material or not) or money with a specific "harvester".

That's exactly what I wanted to hear ;)

edit:
I made a video while I explore the generated galaxy

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geopi/war-industry-a-sandbox-city-builder-with-physics/posts/2877991

This also looks awesome, only the zoom seems a bit wonky.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:04:00 am by Asgarus »

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2020, 09:53:23 am »

This also looks awesome, only the zoom seems a bit wonky.
Oh, that's correct, I'll add linear interpolation. ;) I haven't even noticed that. It looks like I am angry at the mouswheel.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22