Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.  (Read 52202 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: I am developping a Sandbox, citybuilder game with physics
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2020, 01:18:49 pm »

a while ago you meantioned weather and ecosystem, do rain refill lakes? does rain come from somewhere? say, humidity raises from trees/ocean and condenses into cloud, or is it just generated randomly?

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2020, 01:54:38 pm »

a while ago you meantioned weather and ecosystem, do rain refill lakes? does rain come from somewhere? say, humidity raises from trees/ocean and condenses into cloud, or is it just generated randomly?
Yes, rain spawns small amount of water where it hits the ground and will refill / create lakes naturally. For now humidity level raises with evaporation (and evaporation increase with dryness and temperature) and decrease with rain.
THe amount of clouds generated depends on the humidity directly.
There are more details on this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKSWzkI_l1Q

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2020, 03:21:57 pm »

Hey guys,

I am gonna basically copy-paste what I have written for the kickstarter devlog as it summarize my progresses. As always I ll answer any questions ;)

On this update I have developped  the  « crafting » system with production lines, crafting recipes, and production focus.

Every factory has available production focuses, with possible craft recipes. user interface is still a WIP, I  will change the current hugly placeholders once all features are added.

Smelting industry
Now iron ore, copper ore and gold ore can be smelted.

Small foundry – Does not require electricity but uses coal to operate.

Medium foundry

Large foundry

Factory retooling
Every factory needs to be tooled with the desired production focus. Retooling cost industrial goods, so the player should plan correctly his industrial expansion

Flexibility vs productivity

Many industry have several production focus options. Retooling to a specific product will produce more of it as there is a small malus for each different production lines.

Uranium processing plant

Turn uranium ore into usable uranium for commercial and military purpose.

Water processing plant

This factory split water into hydrogen and oxygen,

Factories

A workshop is a small and cheap factory that only requires wood and money to be built,

A modern factory requires industrial goods to be built and is large building but produce much more.

For each factory you need to chose a production focus. This will retool the factory to uses specific crafting recipes.

Petrochemical complex

Produces plastic out of petrol.

The water collector

This building will slowly collect water from the air. The amount of water harvested depends on the humidity. This is usefull when once don't have any water source closeby.

3 main ressources

While the game have many ressources to deal with , there are 3 main ressources the you will have to always care about, the game economy revolves around consumer goods, industrial goods and military goods.

Each of these 3 ressources has some recipes that produces the same thing in the end but with different ressources and amount of work needed.  The purpose to tech up and find more ressources is to produces more goods, with less raw material and manpower.

More recipes will be made if needed, making more content is a very fast process and will serve to balance the game.

Consumer goods
Consumer goods will be consumed by the population which will generate money and satisfy the population. It will be also a valuable trading goods. Consumer goods selling price will be affected by the office (commercial buildings) coverage. Office sector is still a work in progress.

Furnitures

Needs : wood.

Cars

Needs : iron and plastic.

Consumer electronics

Needs :iron , copper and plastic.

Industrial goods
Industrial goods are all the machineries that supports the industrial sector. It is mostly used by factories and when the civilian sector expands.

Basic machines

Needs : iron.

Advanced machines

Needs  : iron copper and plastic.

Nanotechnology machines

Needs : iron, copper, plastic, uranium.

Military goods

Military goods represente ammunitions and weapons componenents used in player designs and buildings.

There is only one recipe at the moment.

Needs : iron, coal.

Concrete recipe.

This recipe uses water and stone to produce concrete, which is used for most buildings.

What is next ? Electricity production and demand and its influence on productivity.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2020, 06:05:44 pm »

Ima gonna resist trying to pursuade you to further add refining (centrifuges) to take 'raw' uranium (or waste-product from a power generation stage, dependent upon type of generator facility) to seperate it into weapons-grade material at one extreme, armour-grade material at the other and variously other usefully refined products between. ;)

Apart from anything else, the whole research phase you'd need to do in fine-tuning it could put you on an NSA watchlist or something.  :P

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2020, 08:42:39 am »

Ima gonna resist trying to pursuade you to further add refining (centrifuges) to take 'raw' uranium (or waste-product from a power generation stage, dependent upon type of generator facility) to seperate it into weapons-grade material at one extreme, armour-grade material at the other and variously other usefully refined products between. ;)

Apart from anything else, the whole research phase you'd need to do in fine-tuning it could put you on an NSA watchlist or something.  :P

Well there is already contrifuges to turn raw uranium into usable uranium.
But AFAIK plutonium (for weapons) can be produced as a byproduct in industrial quantity with commercial nuclear reactors with uranium. I have already designed power production facility, including nuclear one, I will therefore add 2 new ressources to the game and 2 more production lines for nuclear power plant : nuclear waste and plutonium. This will be detailed in the next update (I didn't have much time the last 4 days)

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2020, 10:28:13 pm »

Hey guys,

I am working on some graphical enhancments so I have drawn some tilable backgrounds and programmed parallax scrolling (currently 2 backgrounds  layers)
Before going further into this direction I'd like to have some feedbacks.
first of all what do you think of this WIP ? do you prefer with or without backgrounds ? (see previous screenshots on this thread)

Direct link to the picture for better zoom : https://i.ibb.co/3dkJs4y/SCpara.png

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:31:53 pm by geoffroypir »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2020, 11:22:19 pm »

Backgrounds are great for setting and atmosphere as long as it doesn't distract from the foreground. It looks like you muted and faded the back enough that the fore is still clear.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2020, 11:32:37 pm »

I like it! Really looks like it belongs.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2020, 02:58:36 am »

I like the backgrounds, they also make the world look less flat.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2020, 04:57:06 am »

Looks nice, but maybe you could do more with the actual night sky backdrop to give it more depth.

Possible color grading from top to bottom so it's darkest at the top, lighter at the bottom. Maybe add a highlight on the mountain edges. Or you could go real crazy and add a moon and then have moonlight as another variable to work with, like light and shadows down the faces of the mountains.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2020, 08:10:44 am »

Nice! Thank you for your feedbacks. I'll continue making more backgrounds.

Backgrounds are great for setting and atmosphere as long as it doesn't distract from the foreground. It looks like you muted and faded the back enough that the fore is still clear.
I also added antialiasing to the backgrouds for better contrast.

I like the backgrounds, they also make the world look less flat.
Yes but everbody knows that earth is flat as a pancake.  ::)

Looks nice, but maybe you could do more with the actual night sky backdrop to give it more depth.

Possible color grading from top to bottom so it's darkest at the top, lighter at the bottom. Maybe add a highlight on the mountain edges. Or you could go real crazy and add a moon and then have moonlight as another variable to work with, like light and shadows down the faces of the mountains.
I already have a moon somewhere that cast light so you ll see an exemple of this soon.
For sky color gradient, this is a bit tricky with my current lighting system, so I am waiting a bit to implement it as  want it to be dynamically generated with atmospheric composition and density so I don't need to manually tweak it for each planet, so this feature is further below on my workflow.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2020, 09:29:02 am »

Landscape backgrounds: They seem to fit well. Without being too much so that you're drawn into wondering why can't move into that other dimension and still believe the 2D side-scroller conceipt that you're locked into the slice of.

Hard to be sure with just the one (static) shot, but based on prior slices I think the hills match up well with sliced-hills we've seen before, and if the nearer parellax-layer matches nicely with the not-so-hilly tracts (as a general signature) like the current playing-foreground then I think that's believable too.

Suggestion for the sky: Composite layer of (as above) altitude-fading, as I think we've seen in in greater extent with prior twilight shots (that I can't see in the limited Topic Summary beneath me, this moment) but also a "milky way" effect (not the actual milky way, nor as busy as a tracked-timelapsed dark-skies photography shot would be) that rotates-and translates around an off-screen spot to present a slow-but-ever-changing skyscape (when the rising "daylight" filter doesn't render it unseen). Raster-based, you could perhaps use an image slightly less than twice² the size of the screen viewport (with standard edge-wrapped tiling hiding the diagonal edges sloping through the visible area), with vector point-cloud you could procedurally generate convincing skies (tuned to the level of detail that matches the rest of your pixellation design ethos) rolling across the skies with enough potential to entrance even a jaded astronomer!

...but that's just me overreaching myself. Stick to points 1..4 at most, probably. ;)

(You know at the end of a Star Wars movie, the credits (?always?) roll over a packed starfield. I spend more time looking at the asterisms created in that jumble than taking note of the 200 or so Assistant VFX Matt Overlay Render Design Team Controllers whose names are scrolling past. Trying to establish if it's the same background as was used in the last film's credits, wondering which rendering method it even used (CGI by proc-gen/guy-with-a-lot-of-patience-and-a-tough-mouse-button, actual physical matt by guy-with-an-airbrush-and-time, pinched off the Hubble Deep Field material, etc...). But that image is too busy for what I'm thinking about here. And would absorb too much resources/be too distracting.  :P )

((...aaaand I'm slightly ninjaed by your response, whilst I was deep in thought, trying to explain things I've only previously coded (or mulled over the desired coding for) in obscure projects of my own. Still, worth noting that that the moon you mention having should ideally not be the antithesis of the sun(/daylight) unless you're happy with the incorrect stereotype or decide tidal-locking has happened. Would save time on phasing it (always full/new?) but silly. The rest you can safely ignore. This too as well, maybe, if you've actually read to this point and even understood my waffle.))

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2020, 02:56:51 pm »

Well Starver, that is a lot of things to read, thank you for the suggestions.
Pseudo random generation is already implemented where generation is needed. I am not sure if I understood very well what you ve written by if it concerns specifically the generation of the skybox, I am using a very simple generation of stars with 5 main spectral types, in random positions and sizes , there are all tied to a single object that will rotate around a "polar" point to simulate the rotation of the body. I don't really intend to make it more complicated at the moment, this is already a complex game And i'll rather focus on the critical features first and graphicals enhancment.

Hum... I just realised, maybe I mislead you by using the word "parallax" I wasn't refering to anything in astrophysic  :P  but this specifically : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tBce8eFqE

Regarding your last sentence, I think I won't use it as an "antithesis of the sun" as you said, however most game use this clever trick to visually tell the player the hour for both day and night, it is a small game design decision I might reconsider later.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2020, 02:59:41 pm »

Or you could go real crazy and add a moon and then have moonlight as another variable to work with, like light and shadows down the faces of the mountains.
Something like this hehe

https://i.ibb.co/TqxR6YV/Sc-moon.png

(I ll use a separate lighting for the ring)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2020, 03:00:19 pm »

Nice...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22