Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 421408 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2970 on: March 16, 2023, 03:39:13 am »

Sorry about that, I just remembered I didn't retire because of my uncompressed test.

Speaking of maps, I've updated mine apparently in January. I was going to polish it, but by then I might as well update what I have.

https://i.imgur.com/9y2oEqu.png

The secret of reducing the size is obvious by now: save uncompressed, then archive.

By the way, kesperan, that axe you give me is supposedly created by "an unknown creature", but it was created before the year 50, which means the name of its creator can be recovered through regening the world. I'll look into it in the future.

LV update: Stukos lives! I don't think I ever encountered anything related to the Page of Tiredness in my adventures.

Adventure mode tip: if you die, you don't have to immediately press "Finish game". When you press ESC, you can save the current session, go into your save folder, copy that save, then finish the game. This is how I recovered my death log.

Luki and Lurker Wogeathis articles updated.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 05:35:45 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 16, 2023, 11:34:30 am »

I am glad young Stukos yet lives. Perhaps we will see more of him in the future….

Regarding Luki: I see his son, grandson of Jas, has the name Gloryage. That cannot be mere chance! Unraveller is dazzling us yet again with his DFHack skills.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 16, 2023, 12:38:52 pm »

Adventure mode tip: if you die, you don't have to immediately press "Finish game". When you press ESC, you can save the current session, go into your save folder, copy that save, then finish the game. This is how I recovered my death log.

Doing that may trigger the Transmigration bug, so be careful if you don't want that to happen.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 16, 2023, 01:03:52 pm »

Doing that may trigger the Transmigration bug, so be careful if you don't want that to happen.
Thanks for the warning. That looks both way cool and was scary. I seem to have escaped the dreaded isekai of horror and unworldlyness.

This reminds me of a story from a friend from the 2000s about two forum users from two different cities somehow sharing the same IP and one receiving PMs meant for the other. Freaky stuff.

But thinking more on that, is it that bad? That sounds like a quirk more than something game-breaking. Would the original character still exist in save? That'd mean the adventures would be recorded by the game and the player could just retire and use their adventurer the next turn. It's not like we have a shortage of dead players being playable through necro shenanigans between turns.

I haven't read the whole bug report, but I can see some reasons why this happened:
* Bogeymen's involvement may be a reason.
* Bogeymen are a pre-40 monsters, so this is probably fixed, either intentionally or by all the piled-up modifications, since.
* There are strong implications in the post that the player closed the game, then opened it again. I did not, I saved, backed up the save while the session was still running, then continued the save. I've seen that closing and opening the game has effects on the game being played, usually to the effect that a longer open session increases the chances for the game to randomly crash because of what I guess is some "strain" accumulation.

P.S.: There's also a DF hack command that directs this possession in-game. Beyond unretire-anyone, there are, from memory, commands for you to posses your killer or your companion, body-snatching Fallen style. Yes, friends, not only are we Armok, but we are the demons.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 01:49:40 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: March 16, 2023, 01:16:21 pm »

Thanks for the warning. That looks both way cool and was scary. I seem to have escaped the dreaded isekai of horror and unworldlyness.

This reminds me of a story from a friend from the 2000s about two forum users from two different cities somehow sharing the same IP and one receiving PMs meant for the other. Freaky stuff.

But thinking more on that, is it that bad? That sounds like a quirk more than something game-breaking. Would the original character still exist in save? That'd mean the adventures would be recorded by the game and the player could just retire and use their adventurer the next turn. It's not like we have a shortage of dead players being playable through necro shenanigans between turns.

I have encountered this bug before, it is interesting. Might be an interesting thing to play around with. My life as a reincarnated as a plump helmet man. Even if you came back as something that could speak and somehow made it back to the surface you would be unrecognised by everyone.

That story Lurker reminds me of that time an IP geolocating service kept pointing to some poor couples house as the origin of various ips in America. As they used that location as the default this is coming from America location.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: March 16, 2023, 02:46:48 pm »

Oh man, it's been a while. I have no idea what is happening. I don't even have my notes from my last session any more. Something about killing things with certain weapons. Those went missing when I retired my adventurer, by the way. Does anyone know where the slab binding Dreamypuzzled currently is? That's the slab that Lonelythrall took from the vault near the museum.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 16, 2023, 03:00:26 pm »

LV says it lies undisturbed in Boltspumpink since 718.

I've noticed something about the 16 or so blighted thralls that arrived in Ulosothro (now also called Siminsothro‎; I tried to use similar sounding names for the "new" human settlement and group so as to not confuse with the old ones (not those Old Ones), but also to keep their memory alive), that some or more were headless or worse and yet considered "undead", yet LV does not say they died when I very much killed them with the exterminate command. So now blighted thralls are canonically and for all game mechanics, immortal ghouls and possibly ring wraiths. Add to that how Moldath's state keeps changing between mostly functional to rotting mess and back between game modes and I don't even know what this adds up to. Wonderful.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 16, 2023, 03:02:25 pm »

It should be in Boltspumpkin but items get often displaced there. I spent two previous turns looking for a certain necromatic slab. The one you are looking for is The Lord of Riddling. The slab that bound Dreamypuzzled the Tenebrous Obscurity to the mortal plane. I recall it was there some time ago as Avolition has the secret to banish the demon.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 16, 2023, 03:12:54 pm »

How did the item scattering at the Museum got resolved, if at all? I'd even forgotten about that during my turn, too preoccupied with finding a worthy item to give to the Museum after I visited the elven capital.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: March 16, 2023, 03:17:41 pm »

I invoked the dfhack 'lair' command at some point. Not sure if that works

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: March 16, 2023, 03:56:11 pm »

I notice TheFlame52 is starting their turn today which should put me next in line.

I’m on holiday next week and won’t have time to play so was hoping I could be bumped down one space?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 16, 2023, 04:51:24 pm »

Shiiiiiiesh, I just looked at the map and I noticed something that is probably obvious to many, but that I don't remember it being discussed in the thread: Ilrallenod is in a (politically) heated position. It's relatively close to Boltspumpkin, all things considered, sorrunded by human-claimed lands and very close neighbors with the former Curious Horror capital/lost dwarf fortress to demons since the year 101, really close to Crownhall for that matter and now those 6 spawning hillocks during my turn have encroached on the Plain Hill, green places where dwarves historically before the year 700 didn't venture in settling. It is in fact surprising that they have relations with the elves, as the entire mountain range bars them from elven lands and elves never settled north of the mountain range Ilrallenod exists in. It also rests dangerously, very, very close to what I call a "dark river", a diagonal row of goblin settlements (it isn't even the only one in Orid Xem) at only 3 world tile distance, containing 26 goblin settlements. There's also a relative close necro tower built by a very NOT chosen necromancer that's about as close as that Oddom's. Ilrallenod is in a very crowded place in all the meaning of the word.

Now isn't this interesting:

I had assumed this guild hall would be extinct, especially since I was never asked to make (or reinstate) new guilds (I cranked up the numbers required to petition for guilds/religions to levels impractical to be achieved) or told that Meng joined a guild. In fact, I have no spaces for guild after reclaiming. I think the first one who reclaimed was Bralbaard and he deleted all the site zones? Or were they all gone upon reclaiming?

I did make a library and I mildly regret it since instead of being idle and making babies, half my idlers (and some who I actually needed to work) went to read books instead. Does reading books increase their in-game skills or are they just mood buffs?

Now that I think about it, it's pretty metal (or, considering the circumstances, stony) that the fortress' only legendary mason comes to the capital hoping for his skills to be noticed, asks around about making a guild, is told the Overseer forbid even the petitioning of guild halls, goes searching for a loophole, finds ancient accountings of a guild created in the year 81 and boldly tells everyone he meets that he's a member of that guild. Extra points for the Overseers not hearing about this until he leaves the fortress.

Osturist Obot Zaled
article is up. It was created by Prince Sarvesh "Spearstrength" Lokumemen of Mörul Kan, grandson of the first King of the civ. It has over 430 kills.

It even has an interesting history in Orid Xem Arban Nitig, where Sarvesh escaped Mörul Kan's destruction, which happened 12 years later than canon, to the elven capital where he lived the rest of his life. Then it made its way to a market, found by an elf, given to the Queen (who ruled since year 126 until present), who made it the symbol of the Diplomat and remains there, unbloodied, to this day.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 09:36:27 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 17, 2023, 04:14:59 am »

I'll move Kesperan a spot down, enjoy the vacation!
I've also updated the maps including the one by Lurker.

https://i.imgur.com/9y2oEqu.png

The secret of reducing the size is obvious by now: save uncompressed, then archive.

That does not always work, the previous saves were above the limit, despite using that method. There seems to be a bit of randomness involved depending on the areas that were updated and stored during an adventure.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 18, 2023, 01:07:46 pm »

I had assumed this guild hall would be extinct, especially since I was never asked to make (or reinstate) new guilds (I cranked up the numbers required to petition for guilds/religions to levels impractical to be achieved) or told that Meng joined a guild. In fact, I have no spaces for guild after reclaiming. I think the first one who reclaimed was Bralbaard and he deleted all the site zones? Or were they all gone upon reclaiming?

Now that I think about it, it's pretty metal (or, considering the circumstances, stony) that the fortress' only legendary mason comes to the capital hoping for his skills to be noticed, asks around about making a guild, is told the Overseer forbid even the petitioning of guild halls, goes searching for a loophole, finds ancient accountings of a guild created in the year 81 and boldly tells everyone he meets that he's a member of that guild. Extra points for the Overseers not hearing about this until he leaves the fortress.

Guilds don't need zones to exist - guilds will keep existing forever, even if they don't have any guildhalls or members.

I was a bit curious so i checked the save.

We can clearly see than the guild exists in fort mode, despite being created in worldgen.

And we can asign a new guildhall to it, if we so desire.

The Hall of Steam it's not the only ancient guild in Treatyseed, either:

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 18, 2023, 02:38:36 pm »

Huh, thanks for the information. I hadn't played around with guilds too much, I mostly saw them as nuances and disabled them by putting ridiculous numbers of petitioners needed to ask for them.

I can also confirm that I checked the Year 700 save and there were no more locations for guilds since then. I think they were wiped out in 346 when the capital was "liberated" by The Knowing Deceiver. Either that or World Generation locations don't transition at all into reclaimed fortresses.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 265