Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 421334 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2490 on: November 11, 2022, 06:11:17 pm »

The great worm has come to feed on Orid Xem
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 11, 2022, 07:15:08 pm »

Glad it's resolved, Unrevaller. I continue to wish you good luck in your turn, may Jas' reign and that of his heirs be eternal and benevolent over the Realm of Silver!

Hmmmmm, now that I think about it, you wouldn't even have had the problem if you just tweak makeown'd them. lol. See? I solved possible crashes during my turns without even realizing it. lol.

the reptilian god will not be pleased you deleted his minions mid-summoning ritual. prepare for the wrath of the scales
If people still remember, I have embraced our reptilian overlords. I have nourished them. I have brought them to the surface from the caves. I have fed and watered them. I have given them the power to gain names in the above-world's languages.* Iä! Iä! Armok fhtagn!

*I legit possessed a goblin to be brought to Iroram so a reptile person would kill it, revived the goblin, then arranged for the next reptile person to kill it until they all had names. Real ritualistic stuff. Eskôn and Iroram must be holy places to the reptile people since they're the first (and probably only, so far, in the game) to have actually made reptile people citizens.

It makes sense, the game hates units in occupied spaces. Atleast it was resovled. Was worried that this world was close to its end. Althought it will be interesting to see what will bring this world to its end. It has endured alot, serveal bugs, broken sites and other issues.

The great worm has come to feed on Orid Xem
May its teeth remain blunt and feeble for the rest of time.

I've made a few test reclaims and Iroram crashes the game every time I try to reclaim it. Moreover, it also crashes every time I try to get an adventurer near it. Any thoughts?

Hm, it lets me play Bomrek, but as soon as I make one move, game crashes. It lets me look around too. It only crashes when I move.

Let's try with ASCII. Result: Crashes even with ASCII.

Reveal all works.

Also, installing and uninstalling ASCII has borked my tileset in that it looks like the one in the Museum I. Have to reinstall the game I suppose.

Ok, so it lets me reclaim Falsetower. That means it's not the issue that it doesn't let me reclaim.

I give up. I'll see if it's that bad after my adventurer turn. Also, Treatyseed won't let me reclaim it either. It might be the same problem as Unraveller's. It might be that LV says there are 5 dwarves in the group, yet the group has 7 dwarves in leading positions. It may be some body parts that the game doesn't understand. F sake.

You did what, mate? Oh-kay, attempting to disable dfhack, maybe that's part of the problem...

Ok, I'm getting somewhere.

Spoiler: Crash report (click to show/hide)

My error appears to be more mild and/or different than Alnismîvid‏‎ (Warshrieks), as trying to reclaim WS instantly crashes the game, while trying to reclaim Iroram gives me the message about reclaiming and allows me to utilize dfhack to clean objects and such before pressing enter. Hopefully Iroram can still be salvaged.

And to answer Unraveller (and thanks for pointing it out), yes, the error log contains mention of that error repeatedly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 03:35:22 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 12, 2022, 01:52:54 pm »

My best guess would be some form of corrupt data, whether that be units, items, invaders that won't spawn on the map or any other assortment thereof. Especially if it's localized to those forts. Does the 'errorlog' text give anything? Possibly 'Succession Traveler placed out of bounds'?
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 13, 2022, 03:29:10 pm »

Hope you’re not having any more save glitches and the turn is going well Unraveller. I’m looking forward to the ongoing tales of the Lord of Silver and his descendants.

I’m also eager to see the end of your last turn!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 14, 2022, 05:04:03 pm »

We're getting there, nearly done expanding Weatherponder, then I'll do a wee bit more adventuring maybe and start my write-up. It's not going to be epic to be quite honest, just some set-up for a future turn. I'll try and weave some of the last bit of my previous turn back into this at some point.

EDIT: Lurker, I'll see about repairing those sites of corruption before I send my turn over to you as well.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:54:20 pm by Unraveller »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 15, 2022, 06:44:07 pm »

Thanks a lot, sorry so much for the bother. I hope you had a great turn and remember to backup before editing for Iroram :)

Edit: Things that I've discovered while trying myself (and failing) to fix it:
* You can reclaim the fortress and it lets you run until the reclamation black screen with white text (the part about the overseer returning). You can keep that up indefinitely and run DFhack commands and they actually affect the map, as in if you give clean all it says thousands of objects were cleaned. Again, no crashes.
** You press enter from that screen, it instantly crashes.
** I haven't tried Quicksave in dfhack from that mode, so it's probably yoke on my face if that, of all things, manages to work.
* Saving from adventure mode doesn't work. The game stays a few minutes trying to save (the progress bar does move forward), but then it crashes. This does not seem to corrupt the save further, so it's weird what it's saving and what it can't save.
* I've tried the bugfix commands from here and they don't appear to help. I've also tried things like clean all, remove wear and other things I know is close to "cleaning" in DF and they don't appear to change or help in any way the situation.

Also, DFFD hasn't worked for a few days (since the weekend or so) for me, it's not the end of the world, but is it not loading just for me or for everyone?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 11:55:03 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 16, 2022, 03:13:03 am »

Yeah file depot has been down for a bit. I believe from what I read. It is being worked on/fixed. But it has certainly caused a community game delay.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/ywn21b/yes_the_dffd_dwarf_fortress_file_depot_is_still/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:27:01 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 16, 2022, 12:42:03 pm »

I'll just send my turn to Google Drive if it's not back up before I'm done. 1-2 more days, power is currently out for an indeterminate time in my area, so I may or may not get to finish it tonight.

EDIT: Power's back on, I'll finish it in the morning. Sorry about it taking a bit longer than intended.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 12:29:58 am by Unraveller »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 19, 2022, 12:06:16 am »

Here you are folks, turn is all done and the save is on the Google Drive - HERE -

Please don't take this as doomerism for the future of our amazing Orid Xem, but man, I nearly tore my hair out after the amount of times my data was corrupted or my game crashed inexplicably, or worse, I'd make a bunch of progress then retire, only to find out that the game could no longer be loaded thereafter. I'm hoping these issues were mostly on my end and you'll all have a better time of it from here on. If not. . . Well I learned a lot about using DF-Hack to clear out certain types of corrupt data or to avoid seemingly impossible crashes, so we can definitely get over future instability with some elbow grease.

On that note, Lurker. I spent a couple hours trying to fix your site, Iroram. I hate to admit it, but it had me beat. There's a ton of strangeness about that site, from the bandit overlord necromancer from nearly the dawn of time, to ever traveling nobles not on the site that don't have unit entries in the data, to a seriously screwed up squad with reptile men that don't seem to exist anymore. Speaking of which, many of those Reptile men referred to throughout the data of the site have a histfig id of -1, but the many places they're referred to in such as the squad or noble positions it seemed you at some point attempted to give them have to use this id. So in other words there's a lot of very confused entries all referring to the same theoretical nonexistent histfig of -1.

Just as well I've tried disabling every unit, every position, every squad, etc, as well as various oddities throughout, but was unable to make it get past the first tick. You can get to oversee the fortress at least by using dfhack to do 'gui/gm-editor df.global' during the unretire message and setting the pause state to true, but from there the only way to probably fix the site will be some very specific data manipulation that I suppose I don't currently have the patience for. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 12:39:47 am by Unraveller »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 19, 2022, 12:23:28 am »

Firstly, thanks ever so much for the time and effort you put into everything. I had hopes, it's true, but I suppose corruption is also a risk in this game, so it is what it is. Thanks again.

Secondly, I don't have time for a lengthy reply, so I'll just resume that most of those mentions were self-inflicted (I brought the necromancer myself and the reptiles I "civilized" too, though it's weird they don't have historical records since they appear in LV and have names; ah well). I have some ideas myself, including either letting the site as is or deleting it like it was with Gor and Duskhome and starting over with the people hopefully still remaining. I'll see what I can do.

One other thing to note is that I think some adventurers did visit after my last retirement, so it probably got corrupted between saves somehow. Maybe I'll replace the site file (do you know its number?) with a version from just after I retired.

I think it's Cook's turn, good luck to him.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: November 19, 2022, 12:46:32 am »

The site's ID on the gm-editor is 1631, though I'm not fully sure if that lines up with the site files or not. It also has an index of 1602 if that ends up being the relevant number.

When it comes to making even seemingly innocuous changes without fully accounting for every possible reference thereof can have long reaching and usual crashing effects. For a less serious example, trying to use DF-hack to make your character the king of a civilization without also creating historical events and two-way entity/histfig links that also refer to the position appointment just end up making the change not stick for longer than the first retire.

Either way, I hope we can salvage your site, even if that means reverting it back a few years.

Ah, there are also two new sites, Weatherponder the New, an expanded district of the town between Silverthrone and the old district. And Realmspire, the heir to Omon Obin's personal spindly, ominous castle in evil mountains situated in the Tundra of Heroes.

No new submissions to the museum unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 03:33:06 am by Unraveller »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 19, 2022, 03:56:59 am »

Oh no, has Irka Tinsabre turned Evil???

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 19, 2022, 11:27:12 am »

I suppose you'll have to wait for me to actually write to find out whether that's the case or not, if evil is the right word. ;P

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 19, 2022, 11:44:59 am »

There appear to be some bad news, the blighted thralls in Señamatem weren't cleared, or at least some new ones replaced them.

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

Article up for Irka, not sure how spoilery it is, it's info pulled from LV. Might want to not read it until Unraveller posts his story.

Regarding that, I do have a question. How would Jas' dynasty be named? The naming convention is between "House of Jas Anthad" shortened to "House Anthad" ("House of Jas Anthad" would be the article name, but it'd mostly be referred as "House Anthad") or "House Anthad-Laniecroh", adding his wife's last name to the dynasty.

Regarding The Mysterious Order, it wasn't mentioned, but during Hannibal's turn, they officially took over Señamatem from The Dead Band which had ruled since around the year 50.

Some of Hannibal's blighted thralls have married, hooooo boy, wonder if any manage to have kids before being put down.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 19, 2022, 11:48:10 am »

I suppose you'll have to wait for me to actually write to find out whether that's the case or not, if evil is the right word. ;P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 265