Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 421407 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1800 on: March 26, 2022, 10:43:22 am »

Would be nice to give animal men a chance to worship on of the gods of the world.
My
Code: [Select]
tweak makeown reptile people worship by themselves directly after they become members of my fort. Did you check if Avolition Moncadem‏‎ or other adventurer animal people got "infected" by worship after they joined a fort? It does happen to characters in contact with fort members, I think.

Avolition doesn't worship according to Legends Viewer. Hm...

So out of the adventurers I checked so far, between a quarter and a half of the adventurers worship, but I suppose they have to be part of a civilization for that. I remember Lurker Onecbehal default-worshiped Bikdá.

This is useful for role play reasons as the only dwarves we can now generate are outsiders with no cultural history and who cannot worship a deity. It would also allow animal people to have a religion.
Aaaaaah, that's interesting about the dwarf, I forgot issues happened where dwarves stopped being unplayable for some buggy reason. Animal people though appear to all be non-outsiders (is this some part of the dwarf outsider fix?), so why don't they worship/can't they join a religion?

Re:manually changing religion, I'm ambivalent on the issue. Personally, I want to see how the characters grow outside our influence and choose their own paths or the world/game chooses it for them. On the other hand, personalization is a core aspect of adventure mode, so if someone can canonically choose a character's very appearance and thoughts, religion shouldn't be off-limits either.

This is probably going to be a cosmetic fit anyway, since Lurker Onecbehal was swiped by a religion he had no relation with the deity it represented, so you could make your character an Ala-n and they can be swiped by the religion of a deity of peace or something.

I know Bralbaard isn’t keen on mods in case they affect the stability of the save.

That's why I brought it up for discussion. I'm curious if there's anything game-breaking in the mod that could cause problems if it's reverted back when necessary or if we have to upgrade to a new version.

I've found a way (in theory) to get the elves to dig in this mod, it's just a matter of editing the
entity_default.txt in the archive to add the same code for digger the other races have, more precisely add the line
[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
I also suspect the reason I had the black screen issue is that I didn't modify the main DF folder, merely the test save. But for that, I'll have to make a new DF folder just for the save. Well, back to testing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 11:26:06 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: March 26, 2022, 11:36:50 am »

Well, when you are choosing your characters starting site, profession and beliefs, animal people can only choose "None." And the same goes for outsiders. Some religions are limited by sites, and I am not sure exactly how that works.

I don't know how your reptile men started worshipping dwarven Gods - perhaps if they have access to a temple in fort mode they can choose their own God?

I have an un-named reptile man at Ashcinders who Moldath raised from the dead. He was originally the husband of the reptile woman tavern keeper who migrated from Clearmasters. He died of old age and was entombed then Moldath turned him into a Hollow Zombie. He is a nameless sentient skeleton, and that is kind of badass. I think I will call him Billy. He's a bit of a rubbish leatherworker, as all the clothes he makes are too small for dwarves.

I just checked and, yes, he worships The Mine of Ambers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 26, 2022, 11:50:06 am »

Here is the code I used, courtesy of Lonewined.

With a bit of snooping through other people's scripts, I managed to figure out a very simple script that appears to be working:
-- This script makes a historical figure worship the chosen deity
local deity_name = "Liral"
local worshipper_name = "Istra Twinklingeye"
local deity_id = ""
local worshipper_id = ""
local worshipper = nil

-- Looking for the deity historical figure
for _,fig in ipairs(df.global.world.history.figures) do
 if fig.flags.deity and (tostring (dfhack.TranslateName(fig.name, true))) == deity_name then
  print("Found deity " .. deity_name)
  deity_id = fig.id
  print ("Deity's historical figure id: " .. tostring(deity_id))
  break
 end
end

-- Looking for the worshipper historical figure
for _,fig in ipairs(df.global.world.history.figures) do
 if (tostring (dfhack.TranslateName(fig.name, true))) == worshipper_name then
  print("Found worshipper " .. worshipper_name)
  worshipper_id = fig.id
  worshipper = fig
  print ("Worshipper's historical figure id: " .. tostring(worshipper_id))
  break
 end
end

-- Creating deity link
local deity_link = df.histfig_hf_link_deityst:new()
deity_link.target_hf = deity_id
deity_link.link_strength =  100
worshipper.histfig_links:insert('#', deity_link)
print(worshipper_name .. " is now a worshipper of " .. deity_name)

My adventurer is able to pray to the deity, and with the help of open-legends I can confirm she also has the deity listed in her Legends entry. The next step will be adding the need for my adventurer to pray to the new deity, and removing the link and need related to the old deity.

Simply change the names of the unit in question and the deity in question, save it as "religion.lua" or whatever in the DF/Hack/Scripts folder and run it once in game.

I have no clue about modding, so perhaps there is a way to modify the script to target the current unit and offer a selection of Gods rather than having to hardcode the script.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: March 26, 2022, 11:50:56 am »

The reptile people from Iroram are native from the caves at the center of the world, I have no temple there and they worship dwarven Gods. So it looks like it's simply the magic of tweak makeown.

I have the suspicion that if I use that mod and tweak makeown animal people with humans, elves etc. those animal people will worship the default Gods of the race I play with.

Quote from: Legends Viewer
In 848, midwinter, (6th of Opal) Wildpaddled died of old age in Ashcinders the Molten Scar.
But... but... I made them immortal... didn't I? What is this anti-sorcery?!

Maybe she'll return to life when you reclaim the site?

In completely different news, I'm thinking of making an article on the elves born (not out of the void) since the 8th century. It's going to be a slag. The worst thing is a player is likely going to use it to hunt them down. Ah well, the risk of being a historian.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 12:31:01 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: March 26, 2022, 12:13:11 pm »

Cheers for the code, just lets creatures have just that bit more connection to the  world.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 26, 2022, 01:36:47 pm »

Holy cow, I found an entirely living elven unit:

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Aweme and Yonali have two other living sons, too!

Took me a while to trudge through Moldath and Suril's elven massacres.

And another?!

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Ìle and Amu have two more sons, too.

Upon further research, I discovered a baby boom in 719. I found so far 6 elves born in that year. After 720 let's say, there were 8 or so births, definitely under 10 in over a century. On the other hand, void elves keep coming to their sites, so they're slowly repopulating. Sloooooowlllllllllyyyyyyy...

Final count shows 17 elves being born (of mother and father) in what has come to my attention was the 718-719 baby boom.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 02:55:10 pm by Lurker Z »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 26, 2022, 11:53:37 pm »

Player fortresses (and the lands surrounding them) are scary. Never know what those asterisks are gonna be.

Spoiler: The journey continues! (click to show/hide)

Fair warning: the fort of Shipwheeled, in between Latewhipped and Relicward, is causing crashes anytime I pass time to sleep within like 20 regions or if I get too close through any method of travel. Also I have a feeling that at this rate I'm gonna run into quite a few player villains, necromancers especially. Ketas attacked me on sight! World's starting to feel real small after 200 years of fucking with it. You can hardly go five regions without running into someone's mess.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 12:11:39 am by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 27, 2022, 12:56:35 am »

Ketas is frightening to come up against. I wasn't certain what to expect exactly during my brief turn as Amala, but the moment she rounded the corner and locked eyes with them, one of the key progenitors of the Obin Blight, they bolted, and swiftly towards her. Had Amala not been riding a flying mount, I am certain that she would have been slaughtered in an instant, or worse perhaps. She did steal their morningstar though, so. . . Take that villain!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:35:36 am by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 27, 2022, 03:48:36 am »

Ketas is frightening to come up against. I wasn't certain what to expect exactly during my brief turn as Amala, but the moment she rounded the corner and locked eyes with them, one of the key progenitors of the Obin Blight, they bolted, and swiftly towards her. Had Amala not been riding a flying mount, I am certain that she would have been slaughtered in an instant, or worse perhaps. She did steal their morningstar though, so. . . Take that villain!
I did powertrain Ketas' attributes prior to husking them to make sure they wouldn't be slowed down by becoming a husk, and to fit with their character for the turn. Seems that might have been a little too effective, though, with how fast Ketas can move when provoked (particularly since existing around them counts as that).

Also, being a bit of a pedant here: Amala actually stole Kosoth's morningstar. Ketas used an artefact steel axe, which I think they still have.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 27, 2022, 06:24:21 am »

World's starting to feel real small after 200 years of fucking with it. You can hardly go five regions without running into someone's mess.
You guys get all the luck. I only run into abandoned or laggy NPC forts and that's when I'm not ganked while running. Bonus points if I have a fair fight, I feel I'm winning and than I get the death message. In hindsight, the fact that I managed to survive with Lurker Onecbehal the first turn against that night creature is a miracle not so easy to replicate. It's what probably gave me the false confidence boost to get my chars killed since then.

Also, being a bit of a pedant here: Amala actually stole Kosoth's morningstar. Ketas used an artefact steel axe, which I think they still have.
To be fair, when you have two chars in a single turn (not that I mind) that start with the same letter, it's not unexpected people get the names wrong. The only reason why I don't confuse them on the DFL wiki is that I follow Legends Viewer religiously, then cross-reference with the names in the adventurer list. It doesn't help that there's another unrelated adventurer named Ketas. If I started using my brain to untangle that web of names, it'd fry in the winter, so I'm not even bothering. Not your fault Ketas might be a common name in DF, of course, but that's just how it happens.

[...] [Amala] rounded the corner and locked eyes with them, one of the key progenitors of the Obin Blight, they bolted, and swiftly towards her. Had Amala not been riding a flying mount, I am certain that she would have been slaughtered in an instant, or worse perhaps. She did steal their morningstar though, so. . . Take that villain!
Ok, I keep reading this, even on the TV Tropes, but where is this mentioned in the thread? Did I miss a post? Because all I remember reading is that ballad (which was wonderful and kick-ass, of course), but at least some of the allegories went over my head. Can I get a link to a chronicle of these events? Thanks.

Avolition's character is jumping up in linked pages on the wiki, at this rate he'll be in the first 10 shortly. He's already at 17 links, which is close to the threshold. Thanks Brit for making him an article!

Tonnot, glad to see another adventure post from you, I'll read it shortly. Keep them coming, I hope you have time to play during the week too.

within the castle lies the corpse of a great demon. Old blood stains the outside of the keep, but the inside is smothered by soot and ash. After what I saw on my journey here, I decided it prudent to butcher the beast and hopefully rendering it useless to those that can raise the dead.
Well, there goes Pis. He probably won't be missed.

And yeah, I'm starting to see what you mean that you keep encountering others' messes. Wow. Quite the adventure you're having.
I write this now, standing above seemingly endless pits staring into the eyes of a giant, golden statue of an ancient demon. The dwarves here did not arm themselves to renew past glories, they sought to out-do past evils. They've suffered for their hubris, but now I find myself in a precarious position. The smart thing to do would be to leave immediately with my newfound wealth. But something else is egging me on. It feels like my curiosity won't be sated until I see a real, living demon. So I must venture deeper.
I hope you survive. I'm on the edge of my seat here.

I'm glad you survived, didn't encounter any nasties and managed to make your way back.

Now I'm thinking my next adventurer should be a scavenger of these abandoned forts, since the human from Señamatem stitch ended badly.

Also, does anyone know where Lurker Onecbehal's corpse ended up?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:07:00 am by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: March 27, 2022, 10:06:29 am »

Ketas attacked you because he is Opposed To Life. He’ll leave you alone if you’re undead or a night creature. Might have to send in a rescue mission to retrieve the elf corpses, but it’s entirely possible he has already raised them…

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 27, 2022, 10:18:47 am »

Ketas attacked you because he is Opposed To Life. He’ll leave you alone if you’re undead or a night creature. Might have to send in a rescue mission to retrieve the elf corpses, but it’s entirely possible he has already raised them…
We can see that well enough in the next turn's end in Legends Viewer (Legends Mode might not show it because of the Hidden History). Note that, from my last experience, I can mostly safely say that NPCs start acting "NPCish" and not "Fortress Mode"ish in Adventurer Mode after the site is no longer loaded and thus the necromancer doesn't feel threatened anymore. But, as kesperan pointed out, that might be too late now. Which might not be such a bad thing (unless of course another unknowing adventurer comes to them before the player can take their turn to take their characters out of there, in which case... that's just bad luck).

I'm surprised retired undead adventurers don't go around killing people in various area in the world like these NPC necromancers we encounter and that attack our adventurers on sight.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: March 27, 2022, 10:44:22 am »

That makes more sense, given that it was just laying out in front of Ghoulcreek when she arrived, and given that Kosoth just decided to unceremoniously die in the middle of someone's turn. Suppose I'd forgotten after looking at its kill screen.

Ok, I keep reading this, even on the TV Tropes, but where is this mentioned in the thread? Did I miss a post? Because all I remember reading is that ballad (which was wonderful and kick-ass, of course), but at least some of the allegories went over my head. Can I get a link to a chronicle of these events? Thanks.

It's all in the one post, but here's the specific snipping for ya. Side note, I didn't realize our writing was featured on any other site aside from the wiki. That's pretty neat!

. . .

Just then as luck would have the orphan cries,
"Mucka! Land ahead, don't falter now you need only fly!"
So fly she did and land as well,
Upon dark shores where sea did swell,
This land appeared no different than her island home,
Yet with endless paths for which to roam.

A sight stood out to the girl -- a house, a wooden spike!
Could within dwell vibrant life?
She gathered her courage and wrangled her steed.
Ghoulcreek, the Raven of Whips, a hall of mead.
But whence she round the corner her heart did flutter,
A blighted monster returned her gaze with a mutter.

Upon the grass and at her side,
A gleaming morningstar had caught her eye,
At unnatural speed the dead dwarf lunged,
And so she rolled, her body plunged,
In the young girl's hands the artifact rose,
To defend her body from mortal blows.

The weapon had grown weary and betrayed its master,
The ghoul spat a curse and redoubled faster,
Grace of gods were with the girl thence,
Her body intact and nary rent,
Had Mucka not swept her up and taken flight,
She would have surely fallen to the blight
. . .

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 27, 2022, 11:14:32 am »

Side note, I didn't realize our writing was featured on any other site aside from the wiki. That's pretty neat!
TV Tropes link.

Specific quote:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My mirror on the DF Legends wiki.

I didn't know what the one who added that line was talking about (all I knew was that Amala got one of the Blight Makers' weapon), so I didn't add it in the mirror until now. I don't know what's accurate in that statement and what not.
Kosoth just decided to unceremoniously die in the middle of someone's turn.
How am I missing so much? I saw in Legends Viewer that he drowned or something, I thought it was just QD being repentant for unleashing the Blight and transferring that onto one of their characters and drowning him out of shared guilt.

Whose turn did he die in the middle of?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: March 27, 2022, 11:26:08 am »

The statement is a fully accurate interpretation, pretty much a summation of my entire post.

As for Kosoth, maybe it was intentional, and I just didn't realize. Going by QD's list of adventurers, by the game's logic, they starved to death in 797, in Ghoulcreek. The flavour being that they succumbed to the concentrated effects of the blight. Might have happened during fortress construction afterwards.

EDIT: After re-reading QDs second post, it seems somewhat ambiguous as to whether it was a purposeful choice or not, having him written as losing most semblance of life by the end. For reasons I can't fathom, I seem to have a false memory of an OOC post mentioning Kosoth's strange death of starvation in the middle of another turn, and folks being sad about such an ignoble end to a figure that shaped much of year 800 onwards.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:39:50 am by Unraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 265