Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 421325 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1770 on: March 21, 2022, 05:10:18 pm »

I haven't had much time to look through the history before or after I gave the save, but that's certainly interesting. It looks like a new massacre occurred on the level of the ones in 825 (the first one, when King Bralbaard left) and 826 (when Moldath arrived). This is getting pesky, anytime a controlled character comes around Ilrallenod, the nobility is culled (which, jokes about nobles needing a magma bath aside, I'm pretty sure some of the dead are dwarves dear to people who played them in forts). Is anyone going to take the challenge of reclaiming Ilrallenod in fortress mode and cleaning it up?

I checked in a hunch and looked into the newest non-retired auto-save that had Moldath imprisoned... and he was COMPLETELY HEALED, even after what I assume were MONTHS in the dungeon. This means, in Fortress Mode, full-heal WORKS, or at least worked in 842. So why doesn't it work for you guys?

I can say why it doesn't stick when making the transition to Adventure Mode. As I've mentioned before, it appears to me that in many ways, Fortress Mode and Adventure Mode are two entirely different games that can be played through the same executable in the same world. FM has a chance of not remembering effects of AM and vice-versa, and they're both cobbled together by Legends Mode. I've already made the point of that blighted thrall guild representative that I cured via DFHack of the blight and he came back next years blighted, I cured him again and he died once again (violently) blighted. This appears to be the technological equivalent of the right hand not knowing (or caring) what the left hand is doing.

Quote from: Legends Viewer
0841-01-28 In 841, early spring, (28th of Granite) Moldath became a member of The Armors of Diamond. add hf entity link
0841-05-11 In 841, midsummer, (11th of Malachite) Moldath was convicted of murder by The Armors of Diamond, sentenced to 50 hammerstrokes and imprisoned for a term of 8 month. 

So I remember healing him just the once, when he arrived, when I saw his everything yellow and didn't think about it much since. So he stayed perfectly healthy for nearly a year.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 05:27:57 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 21, 2022, 05:22:59 pm »

I think I am resigned to the fact it won't be possible to "fix" Moldath. I think you are right with regards to Fortress and Adventure mode working differently.

His rot syndromes don't appear to interact with any of the utilities available to modify or remove them, and the only other solution I could think of would involve editing the master WORLD.DAT to change the original syndromes to, for example, only rot skin/muscle layers rather than "BP:all" - and WORLD.DAT editing is strange magic indeed.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 21, 2022, 06:20:49 pm »

Does Moldath even need fixing? The rot is an essential part of the (rather amazing) legend of the blind sadist. He would simply not be the same without it.
Also, healing characters with dfhack would seem to go a bit against the spirit of the game. 

I laughed at the "463 days prison sentence" in that screenshot. If the sherrif only knew half of what Moldath had been up to.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 06:49:54 pm by Bralbaard »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 21, 2022, 06:40:45 pm »

I think this is proof that these are the syndromes that are causing the rot, but doesn't explain why it persists and is still making him weaker by mangling body parts decades after it happened...
Ah, that's it! It's not the necrosis that's mangling his body, it's the blistering. I've seen it before, in very severe cases of forgotten beast poisoning.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 21, 2022, 06:45:32 pm »

Does Moldath even need fixing? The rot is an essential part of the (rather amazing) legend of the blind sadist. He would simply not be the same without it.

Toughness is indeed the issue. If his whole body is mangled, a single hit will likely make him collapse. At this rate, I’ll be lucky if he survives to my next turn!

I think the whole discussion started from this. Kesperan is (understandably) worried about this epic char getting one-hit by a random snapping turtle or cat or something.

I laughed at the "463 days prison sentence" in that screenshot. If the sherrif only knew half of what Moldath had been up to.

It took only eighteen short months for me to gnaw through the chain and escape from Eskôn

This part did it for me. Escaping Eskôn took more time than it took him to kill those four thousand creatures as long as you ignore the breaks between his travels.

Also, healing characters with dfhack would seem to go a bit against the spirit of the game.
Hmm, in Orid Xem I only do this in Fortress Mode so I don't have crippled dwarves clogging my fort. I didn't know he was a player character when I did that (since he came under a false name).

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 21, 2022, 06:51:01 pm »

Is anyone going to take the challenge of reclaiming Ilrallenod in fortress mode and cleaning it up?

I tried that once in an alternate reality and it was a mess, I think that was how we found out Treatyseed was affected by the blight in the first place. Not only will reclaiming cause a massacre under the dwarves living in Treatyseed, but for some reason dozens of dwarves migrated into the fortress from other sites within the few days I played it, most of them were torn to shreds in seconds. I don't know how a party of seven inexperienced dwarves could have any hope of fixing that, without making everything worse.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 21, 2022, 06:59:58 pm »

I tried that once in an alternate reality and it was a mess, I think that was how we found out Treatyseed was affected by the blight in the first place. Not only will reclaiming cause a massacre under the dwarves living in Treatyseed, but for some reason dozens of dwarves migrated into the fortress from other sites within the few days I played it, most of them were torn to shreds in seconds. I don't know how a party of seven inexperienced dwarves could have any hope of fixing that, without making everything worse.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

...Ahem. If no one else tries by the time of my turn (and if the save doesn't turn into a raging dumpster fire by that time), I'll give it a shot.

But seriously, leaving it as it is is worse. A lot of the murdering is happening in the underground maze of that (by now) cursed fortress. Every new adventurer/possessed creature just loading the site is going to start another round of killing, possibly increasing the skills of blighted present super-dwarves who get better with each killing.

Now that I think about it, I'll have to probably leave everyone on the surface and seal off everything even after I clean everything up, because there'll always be the chance of someone blighted being called to the capital since it's not just the capital, but Evost Dèg, a major religion's Holy City.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 07:05:15 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 21, 2022, 07:22:15 pm »

I absolutely don't want to get rid of the rot. I want to get rid of the "mangling" but I can't think of a way how. I think that now he is consider a noble in Eskon, I can't even retire him in one of my forts anymore to do some surgical experiments.

Edit: Yep, he is permanently Broker of Clearmasters :D

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 07:31:33 pm by kesperan »
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 21, 2022, 07:36:37 pm »

So i had an issue getting holyblood into a fort and working. Assume an identity and then retire them at the fort.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 21, 2022, 07:54:11 pm »

Edit: Yep, he is permanently Broker of Clearmasters :D

Remember nothing's certain. You moved him to Nomal Alis, so he's a member of there too, also of Adilatir, so he should be able to rise in both civs. Also confirmation that you can stop being a noble in a civ and be called back.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Though Moldath's situation is even more unique in that he died, then was brought to life. But he should be back in the running for noblehood (which, with the blight infesting Ilrallenod, that might not be a great idea... but if for him or his opponents, time will tell).

Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to what happens next to him. You said he ascended to General of Nomal Alis in an aborted timeline, so we know that's possible too. On the other hand, he might just escape from the blight's ravages there.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 22, 2022, 02:40:34 am »

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

...Ahem. If no one else tries by the time of my turn (and if the save doesn't turn into a raging dumpster fire by that time), I'll give it a shot.

But seriously, leaving it as it is is worse. A lot of the murdering is happening in the underground maze of that (by now) cursed fortress. Every new adventurer/possessed creature just loading the site is going to start another round of killing, possibly increasing the skills of blighted present super-dwarves who get better with each killing.

Now that I think about it, I'll have to probably leave everyone on the surface and seal off everything even after I clean everything up, because there'll always be the chance of someone blighted being called to the capital since it's not just the capital, but Evost Dèg, a major religion's Holy City.

You might have the best chance if you reclaim the site using the other dwarven civ, Nomal Alis.
Also immediately destroy the tavern, raze the temple to the ground and remove any other room and guild hall assignments that may exist.
I have some hope that changing ownership to Nomal Alis will stop the site from attracting Adilatir nobility and citizens, it should not have the same attractiveness to Nomal Alis.

I hope Adilatir will not see that as a declaration of war though..  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 02:57:10 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 22, 2022, 11:02:32 am »

That sounds like a mess.

Anyway, anyone's welcome to try before or after me, I'm just making plans right now, it's a long time until my next turn and I give no guarantee I'll take on the challenge.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:59:22 am by Lurker Z »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 22, 2022, 01:09:23 pm »

I'm still thematically focused on the Realm of Silver and it's descent. Truly the quality of living for most humans in that land have plummeted since we've gotten around. Tempted to usurp their blighted or otherwise ambivalent leadership and usher in what other people of Orid Xem are calling the 'Golden Age'.
I've lost control of my life.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 22, 2022, 01:44:49 pm »

Is Tomnot active? Says last online 11 days ago. Gonna chuck them a Message
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 22, 2022, 02:14:14 pm »

I already sent a PM yesterday, no response yet.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 265