Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dark Resurrection: Of Monsters and Gnolls (SG)  (Read 3964 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Resurrection (SG)
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 11:02:19 pm »

Get our House in Order, then Go.

We aren’t hero’s to rush off into the unknown. But there isn’t a need to dawdle either. Demand tribute from the survivors, whoever gives the most/best receives our blessing to be High Priestess.

We then investigate.
+1
+1
Simple, straight to the point. I like this plan. +1.
Also, name suggestion for our companion; she sounds somewhat angelic with her 'perfection', so maybe a name tied to divine beings? How about Seraph?
+1 to name suggestion, since I already supported the above vote, that is why Iam specifying the name support rather than double voting

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 12:15:17 am »

With our influence the minions will work with even this human hero, and then she can use them to help in her quest.  It is really in the hero's best interest...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 06:35:53 am »

Get our House in Order, then Go.

We aren’t hero’s to rush off into the unknown. But there isn’t a need to dawdle either. Demand tribute from the survivors, whoever gives the most/best receives our blessing to be High Priestess.

We then investigate.
+1
+1
Simple, straight to the point. I like this plan. +1.
Also, name suggestion for our companion; she sounds somewhat angelic with her 'perfection', so maybe a name tied to divine beings? How about Seraph?
+1 to name suggestion, since I already supported the above vote, that is why Iam specifying the name support rather than double voting
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 12:34:52 am »

Though tethered to your host, your metaphysical leash extends long enough that you can appear before those with the talent to see you. Clearly, whoever inherits your temple will need to be able to communicate with you under little fuss anyway, and it indicates the bare minimum of power required to be a worthwhile shaman or priestess.
So, one at a time, you summon the attention of each. It is easy enough to draw them into a trance, providing them a vision of what to them is certainly a divine presence. Your command is simple. Provide tribute to your Ancestor-God. Those who provide the most worthy tribute, will be the new head of your temple, and will help you usher in the age of your return.

First, you call upon the one least distracted by the aftermath of the battle. A Gnoll male named Grippa Festermetal, in the least desirable bowels of the temple. It is a wonder that one so clearly low in the hierarchy has the talent and power to answer your call, but he is at least interesting. A distant decendant, who has spent their life at the forge making weapons from a poisonous alloy which has since claimed the use of his legs. That and fume madness have not prevented him from developing a following among the lowly menials however, and in fact have helped enhance his reputation as a wise sage. When you appear before him, he recoils as if kicked, and grovels before you. It as if he instinctively recognizes you by your visage, and reacts appropriately despite the fact that without physical form you are unable to deliver a blow to establish your dominance and contempt for one so pathetic. "I will craft for you, the cruelest weapon to ever be grasped in my claws!" He snivels. "A weapon of pain so terrible that even those who manage to flee after touching its bite, will live lives of agony foreverafter!" You have no doubt that such a thing is possible, or that the skills of this male have as much to do with the taste of dark power you sense in him as much as any mundane skills. The weapons he makes for your rabble of cultists may not be elegant, well balanced things, but they certainly seem to be of a kind effective in their own way. He is surely capable of something far better for the one he considers an enshrined deity.

Next is the temple's Beastmistress, Ngura Twice-Born. Some of your more ambitious breeding projects led to progeny with truly fantastic physical traits, but rather disappointing mental acuity. Such however, was not a net loss, and even to this day the offspring of such monsters have themselves continued to be bred and crossbred as beasts of war. The current director of the temple's efforts is a (mostly) goblin woman of savage cunning and unyielding curiosity, but little political ambition. You have no doubt that whatever power you put into her hands will be directed towards expanding her stable, and increasing the scope of her experimentation into your monstrous offspring. When she realizes who you are, she sweeps two of her three arms into an elaborate bow. "Mistress. My stable is your stable. But you may have the pick from them for the most loyal bodygaurds in any of the caverns." A malicious glimmer enters her eye. "And i suspect, that given how empty the heads of these creatures are you might one day be able to control them as if your own limbs, given proper experimentation." She is already eager to begin, convinced that you will be as intrigued by the idea as she is. You move to the next potential before giving her any idea as to wether your feelings are inclined one way or another.

If the jockeying for the temple's leadership were to fall to a contest of the might of individual leaders, you have no doubt that Beolag "The Scourge" would be the victor. She is unquestionably the greatest fighter in the temple, and your contribution to her bloodline is obvious. A gnoll in shape, but standing towering to match almost the trolls in height, and with scales rather than fur. She is a monster that could tear near any to pieces, but wields a flail all the same. Unfortunately, it is obvious that she is not very bright, though her commitment to traditional values is somewhat endearing. She vows to bring you the broken body of a tribal chief or chieftess, and suitably ugly males in tribute. It does not seem to have occurred to her that you will be unable to take appropriate advantage of such gifts in your current state however, and you doubt that your delicate companion will agree to allow you to borrow her body for such frivolous pursuits. Truly, a pity. But there is worth in having captives to barter, or to reward loyal servants with.

In many respects, Red Haggen is the obvious choice. A cunning gnoll devoted to your worship, and popular among the bulk of the cult's population. Despite being relatively young, she has already mastered the art of blessing pregnancies with your corrupting influence, and can ensure that young are born with a touch more than the contributions of mere parentage. However, that she is so talented so young also worries you. What could she accomplish, given time? For now, it is fine, but you do not plan to share glory with any future upstarts. She offers to return to her old tribe, and to return it to the fold as warriors sworn to your cause. You suspect of course, that she would claim command of the tribe in question, but given the performance of your cultists it may be valuable to have hardened troops available.

Finally, Urgut the Outcast, a Dwarven Hag of considerable age, but also shamanistic talents. She is skilled in divinations and knowledgeable in the ways of the Cavern Gods, but is a known fugitive actively hunted by several of the Dwarf Clans for crimes too terrible for civilized beings to contemplate. You of course, are perfectly happy to contemplate such crimes, which include kinslaying, the desecration of holy places, and violation of the tombs of the honored dead. It is entirely likely that the spirits of those Urgut disturbed still plague the communities they once lived in to this very day. Upon your arrival she fixes you with her one remaining eye, and a sharptoothed grin. "The gamble has paid off!" She cackles. "Allow me into your tomb, and i will give you a second tether. To your very own bones! That way, you might offer direction to the temple, no matter where you are." You do not entirely trust the hag, and perhaps sensing your hesitancy, she provides an alternative. "Or... i might entreat the dark gods for aid. They are fickle deities, and will surely extract a price, but i am certain that i can acquire for you a great boon! I just... eh-" Embarassment colors her features. "-i just wont know what it is beforehand."

You are still fairly certain that left to their own devices, at least a few of these individuals will end up killing eachother, but you at least have some things to consider. You return to the Lady Seraph, who has gathered up the bodies of her fallen comrades to confer upon them some kind of surface world rite to the dead. She does not look up when she addresses you, appearing to be in serene concentration. "Have you finished your business here? Or is there some final preparations you would like to make?" She frowns as your mind touches hers, somewhat fouling the purity of her own thoughts.

You suppose you could render the decision about who should become leader presently, now that offers have been made to you. Or you could wait until after your return, when the various forms of tribute have been properly presented. Though, given that you now understand the capabilities of your temple's various leaders, you could also draw upon their talents and resources to aid you with the threats of the caverns. Seraph is a capable mage who can destroy most conventional threats she might face, so long as she can see them coming, and your own awareness of and knowledge about the caverns will help ensure that the two of you are not flat footed, but it may still be worthwhile to make at least some modest preparations.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 01:09:02 am »

Bless Ngura Twice-Born as the leader
I like the controlling multiple bodies idea

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 02:07:23 am »

As a point of clarification, none of the offerings by your servants have been conditional. Each fully intends to follow through with their promise regardless of wether they are given command of the temple. They do however, have to remain alive to fulfill their promise, and if one is given greater resources the results of their efforts may ultimately be more impressive.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 06:12:22 am »

First things first;

Urgut the Outcast is not allowed to touch our Tomb
Klevra doesn't trust her, and while being able to run our temple when distant sounds great, we shouldn't aim for anything less than our true revival. Not some bone-puppet, the creation of which could very well block our true revival forever, depending on the method that is used.
Let her barter with the dark gods, and any boon she gets them to bestow upon us, we will work with instead. Having rejected her more powerful offer for a valid reason I am not all that much interested in her.

Beolag's offer - captives - is worth the least to us. I'd proclaim disinterest in her.
Grippa's weapon would be nice to have, weren't we teethered to a mage. On the flipside, having Seraph shore up a potential weakness (melee combat) wouldn't be bad either.
Ngura's pet is intriguing. If we get to choose among suitable beasts, going for an combat and side utility (like tracking) creature would be best. But, is diverting our focus from Seraph a good thing? I'm kinda torn on that one.
Red Haggen isn't a bad pick. If we choose her we also might task her with protecting another person of lesser interest, and succeeding as long as we clearly frame it as such.

Make Red Haggen the new Head of the Temple
Let her use her influence within the cult to make sure Grippa is able to complete his tribute to us, as to give Seraph "something nice" should she run into a sticky situation or out of the ol' magic juice. (Having such a wicked weapon by her side later on, could also lead to interesting developements.)
We would strengthen our current tether, and temple both. An acceptable outcome for me.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 06:55:48 am »

First things first;

Klevra doesn't trust her, and while being able to run our temple when distant sounds great, we shouldn't aim for anything less than our true revival. Not some bone-puppet, the creation of which could very well block our true revival forever, depending on the method that is used.
Let her barter with the dark gods, and any boon she gets them to bestow upon us, we will work with instead. Having rejected her more powerful offer for a valid reason I am not all that much interested in her.

Beolag's offer - captives - is worth the least to us. I'd proclaim disinterest in her.
Grippa's weapon would be nice to have, weren't we teethered to a mage. On the flipside, having Seraph shore up a potential weakness (melee combat) wouldn't be bad either.
Ngura's pet is intriguing. If we get to choose among suitable beasts, going for an combat and side utility (like tracking) creature would be best. But, is diverting our focus from Seraph a good thing? I'm kinda torn on that one.
Red Haggen isn't a bad pick. If we choose her we also might task her with protecting another person of lesser interest, and succeeding as long as we clearly frame it as such.

Let her use her influence within the cult to make sure Grippa is able to complete his tribute to us, as to give Seraph "something nice" should she run into a sticky situation or out of the ol' magic juice. (Having such a wicked weapon by her side later on, could also lead to interesting developements.)
We would strengthen our current tether, and temple both. An acceptable outcome for me.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 01:18:59 pm »

First things first;

Hmm I disagree on the outcast, I doubt it would block a true revival and expandkng our options is always good.

I would also be hesitant on declaring outright disinterest in pure captives. Some are just useful for their brutality, we shouldn’t diminish useful tools. And remember that everyone will offer their tribute regardless of if we pick them to be the leader.

I do agree that Red Hagen should be the Chosen High Priestess.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2020, 05:49:34 pm »

Klevra, Mythic Matriarch
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seraph of The Untouched Glade

The temple has suffered significant losses in this attack, and will be vulnerable while the situation is rectified. It needs strong leadership, immediately, and you will likely have concerns beyond the day to day micromanaging of a collection of fanatics. With another round of quick appearances, you make your will known to the point it will not be disputed.
But there is more to this appointment than a mere leadership position. As your priestess, Haggen shall be in charge of performing the rituals to call upon you, providing offerings, and in acting as an extension of your spiritual will. For now she is content to immediately get to work, but to properly formalize the relationship you will eventually have to bind a little of your essence to her. Not a small thing, for one who has not attained godhood.

The young Gnoll is a dignified creature. Not a warrior's stature, but possessing instead the vigor of youth and eyes which miss little. And she is of course known for her bright red coat of fur. Young, graceful and charismatic, she is open minded and educated enough to get along with more than just other gnolls, whose savage culture often causes the "civilised" races to look upon them with disdain. Conversely however, she possesses a mixture of casual brutality and measured kindness that has respectively prevented her from having weakness taken advantage of while also earning her deep seated loyalty from a chosen few touched by her occassional displays of selfless magnanimity. She is not a particularly experienced warrior or shaman, but she has the makings of a skilled leader.
Where before she had been directing her chosen loyalists in the cleanup, she quickly broadens the scope, issuing quick orders to the menials. First, the dead are to be stripped and stockpiled. Anything of use is to be claimed and then divided later. The bodies of the dead are to be immediately stored in the cooler bowels of the ziggurat, so that they may later be added to the larders. Exceptions are made for the former priestess and those who fought most valiantly in the defense. They will be given the treatment of honored dead, so that their spirits may be more easily called on for assistance in the future. Once that has been done, rudimentary repairs must begin immediately on the defensive wall, and scouts sent out to search for potential threats. There are many who might seize on such a vulnerability, and all potential threats must be accounted for.

One exception to the stripping and butchering of the dead, are those surface-worlders who had come here first prepared to battle with the monstrous cult of Klevra, but instead died defending her temple. Seraph's companions, dead to a one. When you return to her, you find that she has respectfully arrayed the bodies, and cast wards and blessings upon them. Funeral rite protections, which will prevent the violation of these bodies. None will rise from the dead, and any who would attempt to disturb their rest with any dark magic will risk the wrath of the surface gods. You see treasures and useful tools on the persons of these individuals, but sense a grim resolve from her which leaves you certain she would not agree to take anything from the bodies. Perhaps it is something you can revisit on your return. She makes immediate preparations to leave, returning to the party's mounts to retrieve her own, and sufficient supplies that she can be confident in spending a few days on the road. The other mounts she leaves behind, as well as whatever possessions remain in their saddles.

The creature is not terribly difficult to track, though the trail of ichor it had left behind it has since evaporated into the air during your brief dalliance setting to order the affairs at the temple. It left anything directly in its path casually destroyed, ripped apart by a multitude of limbs and barely slowing as it went past. Your own spectral gaze is untethered to the body of your host, so you find details she misses, but it is not hard even for her light dependent eyes to follow the trail at first. Cavern flora, fleeing wildlife, and even rock formations have been left destroyed, carving a straight path. A straight path, rather than a meandering one. This is not mindless, wandering destruction as with some of the terrors of the deep, this is purposeful travel. Which leaves a question. Was it trying to destroy your temple? You? Or was the ziggurat simply another thing in the way of its true destination?
Seraph, provides further information, sometimes speaking aloud to communicate ideas more clearly. "Similar creatures have been appearing on the surface. Attacking temples, the strongholds of mystical orders. Even lone hermit sages." She has theories as to why. An attempt to strangle the magical traditions of the world? Or to lay the groundwork for an invasion of some kind? All attempts to communicate have failed, even as one might to animals. These are creatures with alien minds, or no minds at all.

The line of "discussion", is interrupted by something you see ahead, which you alert your companion to. She dismounts to approach more cautiously, hands readying a spell to make it easier for her to see. You almost warn her, before she sharply insists she is only readying the spell, and does not intend to give herself away.
Ahead, the shattered remnants of some caravan sits. About a half dozen corpses lay scattered in pieces, blood and entrails staining the equally scattered remnants of several carts and their contents. A dozen or so more individuals pick through the wreckage, most chained, but one particularly despondent looking dwarf is dressed in finery. A slaver, who has fallen afoul of bad luck. What he does not see, that you do however, are a small band of troglodytes with hungry eyes and crude weapons, lying in ambush for when the group sets off again, no doubt overburdened with whatever they can carry from the wreckage of the caravan.

Seraph roils in conflict about what to do, once this is relayed to her. Her instinct is to defend them from the coming attack, but these are slavers, perhaps better rid from the world. Of course, it is also possible the troglodytes have some legitimate grievance to settle. Or is it better to simply stay out of this conflict all together? You sense, that you could easily sway her decision with a diplomatic nudge. You understand the world down here far better than her after all, and despite your evil nature there is value in that experience. At least so she reasons.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:16:46 pm by Mlamlah »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2020, 09:05:57 pm »

Let the troglodytes at the slavers, help the troglodytes if needed

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Resurrection: Of Monsters and Gnolls (SG)
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »

Klevra, Mythic Matriarch

Seraph of The Untouched Glade

"We are not beholden to these." You indicate the dwarf and his attendants. "But we can use every ally. If you find these practices so detestable, assist in making them cease. Aid these raiders, and ingratiate yourself to them."
The direction helps her feel better about acting. The logic has some merit to her.

So, you settle in and wait, watching. The various slaves bundle up everything they can carry, enough that their travel will be heavily burdened. There is silverware, rich fabrics, and fine alcohol, and they sacrifice some of their own travelling supples in order to be able to carry greater wealth. Even the two remaining guards, and the slaver himself, gathers up a few things here and there.

If the Troglodytes were of a mind merely to gather up a little food and treasure, they could easily simply wait and snatch up what the caravan is leaving behind. But instead, they split into two groups of three to flank the heavily laden group as they pass on foot. Their attack is swift. Troglodytes are big, reptilian creatures, often contracted as labourers or cannon fodder by those races with more sophisticated societies. In a skirmish with advantages stacked in their favor, they can do quite well. Upon bursting out of hiding, the creatures lay into the group with stone tools and dull scavenged iron.
First, the guard protecting the rear of the caravan is set upon. Most of the initial attack is deflected by the mail shirt which renders such crude weapons inneffective, but is ultimately pierced in the neck by a rusty pickaxe. The other trio is seen however, allowing the alarm to be raised and for the group of slaves to now decide how to respond to this attack. They are chained together and cannot run, so a few grasp whatever they can use to defend themselves, but one immediately turns to his neighbor and begins to brutally assault them with their own manacles. Another troglodyte, choosing to fight for their freedom, or perhaps settling some grudge at the first chance.
It is when the slaver himself grabs a crossbow that Seraph chooses to intervene, aiming a blast of light at his eyes, lightblinding him. She then repeats the gesture with the final guard. She continues like that for the remainder of the fight, choosing not to employ brutal violence in a situation that devolves quickly into it. With her assistance, the fight grows a great deal more one sided, allowing the troglodytes to slay the remaining dwarves while suffering only minor injuries themselves. Those slaves who resist are also quickly slain, and the trogloyte chained with others succeeds in beating the goblin next to him to death. Once it becomes clear that there is no escape, the remaining slaves cease resistance. There is no way they could flee while still chained to the corpses of their fellows, and they are severely outmatched.

Seraph immediately approaches, and you sense a little disgust from her. She probably plans on defending these slaves, and ensuring they are set free. You yourself, are fairly certain that the troglodytes do not intend to be so generous. Perhaps they will enlist the help of the other captives in carrying some of the booty they have won away. They then may be added to the tribal larder of these fighters. This is a great victory for a group of this size, and will likely increase their influence among whatever other wandering bands they have good relationship's with. Perhaps the food gathered here will encourage the group to spawn young, and the treasure used to trade for better tools and weapons. It will be difficult to convince them to give up their prize, but also difficult to convince Klevra to back down. Perhaps however, you could convince her to allow you to negotiate on her behalf, if she is willing to lend you her body. Decisions.

GM NOTE
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:32:58 pm by Mlamlah »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 06:28:15 pm »

Aren’t we Kiera? Or did our POV switch to Seraph? ]

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 06:32:16 pm »

You are absolutely correct! I was in a little bit of a hurry when i posted that, so i didnt have a chance to proofread well. Thank you for pointing it out.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 06:33:42 pm »

You’re welcome
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4