Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Migrants in 0.47  (Read 6824 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Migrants in 0.47
« on: February 16, 2020, 04:56:30 am »

Is it just me/my world or a good 50-75% of migrants seems to spawn with Competent in one or two weapon skills and (usually) Novice in a bunch military or military-related skills, like Discipline, Dodger and such ?

Which is nice. I suppose dwarves do some form of Greek city states-styled citizen soldier thing and whenever there is a raid on where they live, they all gain some military skills.

Why did I even embark with migrants with military skill.

Some of them also seem to get Bowman skill which is a bit weird, I suppose they're dwarves that lived under human or, Armok forbid, elven civs ?

Also I seem to get more master/legendary dwarves. Sadly, those are usually social/performance skills.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:00:44 am by Naryar »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants in 0.47
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 06:49:17 am »

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of double-weapon skill migrants. Including non-standard weapon skills like lasher and knife-user which makes me wonder if something's not going wrong somewhere.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 09:47:49 am »

There's certainly been changes here. I am also seeing quite a bit more peasants as well as dwarves with no pre-existing relationships compared to 44.XX.

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:58:12 am »

Having the same. Pretty common are dwarfes with weapon skill for both a melee and a ranged weapon.

On the other hand, almost no doctors or dwarfs with skills in scholarly disciplines.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 11:11:59 am »

Your immigrants were likely in a mercenary company prior to arriving at your fortress. According to the devlog, mercenary companies can "specialize" in one or more weapon skills, apparently including foreign weapons. You can verify by checking your migrants' past associations on their thoughts and preferences screens.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 11:38:05 am »

I got migrants with skill in pike.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 01:35:34 am »

I just got a "Dwarf weaver necromancer" migrant, which sounds like a good recipe for fun.  They have excellent social skills as well, so once I'm big enough, it seems very likely that I'm going to have a necromancer mayor.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:56:20 am »

I had one, too! Let them produce friendly undead goblins. I miss my ex-mayor.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 03:10:22 am »

I saw that in another thread as well - I'm excited to embrace the power of life and death.

I don't have the game up now, but I think the necromancer also had some weapon skill, so once I find some metal and get a military started, I'll see about including them in a squad.  I know it's a bug, but I'm honestly kind of excited to have the chance to try out some of this nonsense.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 02:34:35 pm »

I haven't had a necromancer migrant, but I did have a necromancer dancer show up. I was incredibly disappointed when they didn't petition for residency. Think of the performances! The Danse Macabre, coming soon to a tavern near you!

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »

I haven't had a necromancer migrant, but I did have a necromancer dancer show up. I was incredibly disappointed when they didn't petition for residency. Think of the performances! The Danse Macabre, coming soon to a tavern near you!
Danse Macabre? No, no. It's the... uh... how do you say "undead" in Latin (or whatever that language is)? Anyway, the "Dance Undead".

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 05:30:00 pm »

Google says "immortuos."
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 05:35:01 pm »

Google says "immortuos."
Google takes me "Scooby Doo: Dance of the Undead"...

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 06:10:44 pm »

These all seem like improvements in my eyes...
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 09:36:03 pm »

Hmm, not so sure this is working as people described - I had my necromancer fighting some crundles; he raised one after killing it, but then it promptly resumed fighting him.  Now he's engaged in a melee with both living and dead crundles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4