Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Migrants in 0.47  (Read 6823 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants in 0.47
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 11:13:23 pm »

Interesting. I was just wondering why it is easier to start a militia squad now(I usually hand pick those with fighting skills).
Yeah, this is really handy right now (at least in the worlds I play in). Need a new squad? Rather than "hope there's a dabbling axeman somewhere" as it used to be, now it's "pick a couple of guys at random, choose the one with the best skill, or even look for other leadership skills and put him in charge".

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 04:27:06 pm »

There was no outpost liaison but I got a caravan. Pretty sure my civ is not dead either.

Second wave was smaller and pretty usual (and meh). A gelder, a hunter, and two children.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 05:10:59 pm »

Caravan => civ not dead...

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 04:45:18 am »

It seems that the skills of actual historical figures are a bit weird right now. I've noticed that a lot of them will achieve legendary level is at least one skill, while many only have  social skills (Conversationalist, Judge of Intent, etc.) and/or fighting skills. There seems to be little in between. Maybe it's some interaction of guild halls, villainous plots and mercenary companies during world gen that buggers the skill distribution.

Some actual numbers on this would be nice, though, and ideally a comparison to 44.12. I don't think any of the legends utilities can do that, but it shouldn't be too difficult to query XML for the skill levels and count how many dwarves are legendary and how many have no skills. I may try doing it sometime during the week, if I have the time.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 06:48:42 am »

In my current fort, I've got 3 military dwarves out of 12 migrants. A bit higher than usual, but not impossible. I also got 3 fish cleaners, but 1 high master metalsmith so it evens out.

I think you guys are right that the more violent world has made more dwarves with some experience. I'll take a look at some of them later and see if any are historical figs.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 05:04:16 pm »

Okay, third migration wave. Brought 16 dwarves, up to my popcap, have the feeling more would have spawn without.

Again half are unskilled peasants with no skills at all, not even social ones. I've got one military dwarf with Legendary in... tracker, a hunter with novice crossbowman and adequate ambusher, two or three farmer types with Adequate skills or so, a miner, and two kids.

This fort's migrant patterns are definitely really weird. Maybe it's due to 450 years of worldgen, but it doesn't make sense to me... I'd assume the opposite would happen.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:07:14 pm by Naryar »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 05:12:31 pm »

Okay, third migration wave. Brought 16 dwarves, up to my popcap, have the feeling more would have spawn without.

Again half are unskilled peasants with no skills at all, not even social ones. I've got one military dwarf with Legendary in... tracker, a hunter with novice crossbowman and adequate ambusher, two or three farmer types with Adequate skills or so, a miner, and two kids.

This fort's migrant patterns are definitely really weird. Maybe it's due to 450 years of worldgen, but it doesn't make sense to me... I'd assume the opposite would happen.
Couple of things to check:
1) What's the population of dwarves in your civ?
2) Of your migrants, how many are historical figures (did stuff before coming to the fortress).

Would be good to narrow down if the "unskilled peasant waves" that some people see are historical or raised from general populations. There's got to be some reason players only see one or the other type (the other being waves of "multiple weapon skill warriors and legendary threshers").

Still haven't received one "unskilled peasant" in any wave yet. Thought I got lucky with two peasants appearing in the last wave of my current world, but no, veteran macedwarf and legendary poet.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 09:21:18 pm »

Also haven't gotten zero skill peasants.

As far as military migrants go, none of mine are historical figures, so it's either luck of the draw, or military skills got a little boost in the last update.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 10:08:46 pm »

Also haven't gotten zero skill peasants.

As far as military migrants go, none of mine are historical figures, so it's either luck of the draw, or military skills got a little boost in the last update.
Including the ones with multiple weapon skills or foreign skills?
Could be looking at battles fought in their home sites. There are a lot of battles these days.

--edit

Just checking through mine:
All my Lashers and pikedwarves have extensive battle experience.
I have a Legendary bone carver. From making an artifact before migrating here (artifact destroyed tragically on arrival due to annoying bug).
A legendary animal trainer, histfig, fought in lots of battles, no real history of training wild beasts.
A legendary glassmaker, extensive history of battles and monk recruitment, two main weapon skills. Never seems to have worked as a glassmaker.
A potash maker with double weapon skills. Extensive history of battles. Was actually a potash maker.

Struggling to find any non-historical figures besides the starting 7. Maybe have none at all.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:56:53 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2020, 08:18:31 am »

2) Of your migrants, how many are historical figures (did stuff before coming to the fortress).

Would be good to narrow down if the "unskilled peasant waves" that some people see are historical or raised from general populations. There's got to be some reason players only see one or the other type (the other being waves of "multiple weapon skill warriors and legendary threshers").

Still haven't received one "unskilled peasant" in any wave yet. Thought I got lucky with two peasants appearing in the last wave of my current world, but no, veteran macedwarf and legendary poet.

11k dwarves in total in the world. As far as civ goes, well, there are at least 2k or 3k dwarves in my civ, but I see TONS of "dwarf outcasts" in the world site dump. 

All of my migrants are historical figures.

I am playing with Modest Mod. But my few last fortresses were also Modest Mod, and it wasn't a majority of peasants.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:12 am »

11k dwarves in total in the world. As far as civ goes, well, there are at least 2k or 3k dwarves in my civ, but I see TONS of "dwarf outcasts" in the world site dump. 

I am playing with Modest Mod. But my few last fortresses were also Modest Mod, and it wasn't a majority of peasants.
And what's the history behind the skilless peasants?
What have they been doing?

Incidentally how old are they? Perhaps raised to adulthood in between leaving home and arriving at the fortress?

From what you say, this is just a one-off thing for this particular world probably?
Some people are reporting that this is all they're getting in all their worlds since upgrading. Which is really weird.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:27:51 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2020, 12:15:10 pm »

And what's the history behind the skilless peasants?
What have they been doing?

Incidentally how old are they? Perhaps raised to adulthood in between leaving home and arriving at the fortress?

From what you say, this is just a one-off thing for this particular world probably?
Some people are reporting that this is all they're getting in all their worlds since upgrading. Which is really weird.

It sounds like it might be this world in particular. Or maybe a quirk in 0.47.03. (I will likely update soon considering how the "i have half a billion gods and I must pray to them all" bug makes my dwarves spend their time in the fortress temple a lot instead of doing more useful jobs) Most of my migrants are generally young, with a majority in the 50 years or so. which is probably why they don't have a lot of skills.

It's just weird, considering I haven't changed my settings this much.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:19:56 pm by Naryar »

Anandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2020, 07:49:36 pm »

My most recent fort is still 47.02 and I have had a range of dwarves, only 3 peasants so far, some have had random weapon skills, but most are trained in the standard axe short sword or mace skills... most of my priority industries have been covered, taken a few miller’s and soap makers (only skills they had) and turned them into engravers a brewer and an armour smith so I have 2 weapon smiths 2 armour smiths and 1 trained in both (cane that way..)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 07:40:01 am »

New fort in 47.04.

First migrant wave was an adequate herbalist (only) and a kid.

Second migrant wave, eight dwarves, two children, and ALL the adults in the wave are Competent in a military skill. Mostly sword or spear, but I have a Competent speardwarf/macedwarf too.

They have the exact same levels of other military skills too. (Discipline, Dodger, Shield User, Armor User). Strange.

Civilian skills-wise, nothing particularly great. best I got is

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2020, 02:33:04 pm »

Third migrant wave. 23 dwarves (!). Eight kids.

About 2/3 of the adult dwarves have military skill, again, almost all Competent with one Skilled. Majority of speardwarves and swordsdwarves with a few other skills. Most of those seem to have very similar skill levels in the defensive military skills, with Novice dodger/armor user/shield user except for the Skilled one who's a little bit better.

A few Bowman (WHY) and Marksdwarf skills as well. Even some that are both bow- and marksdwarves.

A legendary weaponsmith and a legendary bone carver, which is VERY nice. A few adequate Metalsmith dwarves which is quite rare those days, and still nice.

Else it's the usual, a majority of Adequate skills, a few ranger-types and fisherdwarf-types, lots of farmer-types. The usual very high social skill levels on 4 of them, while others don't really have social skill levels.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4