00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253140 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #690 on: March 15, 2020, 10:15:58 pm »

Yeah, alright.

I'm sorry! Just-- you and VOID are the only two I know who've got any knowledge of this... I thought I could find one of our own.

"Apologies, brother Pontifex-- I stirred an old memory at your words. I was reckless to do so."
"I do not think I shall be making many detours on the way to McCreary's final battlefield-- a private viewing of McCreary himself sounds lovely, though. I would be most grateful."
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 15, 2020, 10:17:35 pm »

Yeah, alright.

I'm sorry! Just-- you and VOID are the only two I know who've got any knowledge of this... I thought I could find one of our own.

"Apologies, brother Pontifex-- I stirred an old memory at your words. I was reckless to do so."
"I do not think I shall be making many detours on the way to McCreary's final battlefield-- a private viewing of McCreary himself sounds lovely, though. I would be most grateful."

+1.

I think it would be good to cultivate a relationship with this person.  If SEED is planning to kill us, he could be helpful.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 15, 2020, 11:56:17 pm »

The Pontifex smiles, reaching over for the file and stowing it back inside his robe, offering, with a wink, "I'll get you a copy." He calls for an attendant shortly after that, rising to his feet. He calmly, yet firmly gives directions, and the young man hurries off to complete them with vigor. "Come, Sister, it'll be cleared out by the time we arrive-- it's also very close to where you were planning on having dinner."

You blink, rising to follow him. You're reunited with Emma in another chamber, and she politely and professionally falls in line behind you, not saying a word as she glances between you and the Pontifex with a curious look. He separates from the group as you ready yourself for flight and re-emerges wearing something a little more discrete. Its a Crusader military outfit without rank or markings. He smiles at you as he claims a seat across from the two of you. When the hover-craft lifts off, he begins to chat pleasantly with Emma, asking questions here and there.

[3] Some of the questions are about you, and Emma deflects them politely and efficiently, not volunteering more than she needs about you.

It takes less than thirty minutes to arrive in a vast, stately plaza, paved with granite between high girders of polished, painted steel. The hovercraft touches down beside another, and, you notice as you step out of it, that the plaza was blocked off with bright orange barricades with the symbol of SEED painted on them in bright white. Soldiers clad in grey robes face outward, armed with las-rifles.

The Chapel itself is a stately building, but it resembles the sanctum with a high, domed ceiling and bright lighting. The air is cold, frigid, as evidenced by Emma and the Pontifex shivering against it. It doesn't bother you. No, what bothers you is the corpse interred within a complicated glass sarcophagus. He's clad in gold and jade, with a bright white robe beneath it, shining and radiant in the light. But you cannot ignore the frozen color to his skin or his sunken face.

A mock-up of a Cutter Hilt sits in one hand on his chest, the other holds a submachine gun, much like the one in the cabinet of his former panoply. Both are fakes, you are sure.

Despite the age of the corpse, its been remarkably well-preserved in a below freezing, sterile environment. Its a bearded man, with a large, broken nose, and long, curly blond hair that hangs past his shoulders. Not old, not young, and without the beard, you would expect he looks quite androgynous. Emma approaches behind you.

[12] What was at first a fleeting feeling has solidified in your stomach—a sickening mix of fear, joy, and remorse. When you think about why you feel things, it comes to you. Fear, because this man, even in death, radiates as a threat on a deep level. Joy, for not having to fight, and remorse, for his death--He deserved a better death than this world could have provided.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:05:34 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 16, 2020, 12:17:13 am »

Did we know him?

Approach.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 16, 2020, 12:21:59 am »

Discreetly examine the body as thoroughly as possible.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 16, 2020, 12:26:31 am »

Discreetly examine the body as thoroughly as possible.

I dunno how much we're gonna be able to discern what with all the armour covering the guy (seems only his head is exposed), but sure: once we've drawn nigh, give the body a good look-over and see if we can't pick out a cause of death.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 16, 2020, 12:50:32 am »

No. But we are related. Maybe he's one of the first...or maybe he got lucky...but he's strong. So strong. He deserved a better death.

The weight that this corpse project increases as you approach until it feels like the very air is heady with it-- with his will. Your hand moves of its own accord, tracing across the frozen glass. Emma moves to follow, but your guards stop her, backing away from the both of you. A brief flash of anger burns through you, but you push it down, down, not acting on it.

[20 vs 4]He should've been recycled and given a soldier's burial, not used as some cult's relic! The anger that is Alphira burns to the surface in a bright flash, overwhelming you. It happens all at once, heat starting to burn at your fingertips. The room temperature rises incredibly, and the glass shatters out from your fingertips from the difference.

[12] You cannot control yourself, for the moment, so instead you watch, and learn from your past self. The calculations she's doing are incredibly advanced to the point where you can only barely follow along. An extension of your will reaches out into the material plane, ripping apart water in the air to turn into hydrogen and oxygen, and igniting both into concentrated, invisible fire at the tips of your fingertips. His clothing and armor begin to burn, but he does not until his torso is laid bare and the cheap metal is pooled around him. A great, savage gash rips its way across his chest, nearly the entire width across. Its barely healed but healed nonetheless with fresh scab tissue.

[20]"He died of starvation, not his wounds. SEED will weaken us until we cannot fight, and then lock us up to die." Alphira reaches out, taking hold of his arm, static bristling in the air. Behind you, a scuffle breaks out-- your objective is safe, Emma is safe, but one of your guards isn't-- he's been shot in the head by the Pontifex. The other guard lets Emma go, but she doesn't run to you, instead of falling back to rest against one of the columns. In shock, no doubt. Poor girl can't stand the sight of blood. Shame.

"Sister Alphira we mean you no--"

"Shut up, if you were a threat I'd have killed you." You bark with a command, voice dark. "Get Emma somewhere safe."

"N-No. I'm here. I'm here for you."

[20 vs 12]Even Alphira is surprised by that, glancing back to Emma, who seems to have regained her composure. But she doesn't say a word, returning to the matter at hand. Alphira wipes away the blood as it drips from your-her nose, something screaming within her to stop, but she ignores it. A steady stream of grey dust emerges from the corpse where your hand touches it, pooling within your free hand, motes drifting into the air. It only takes a little time before you have enough to fill your hand. The...thing.. shifts and moves of its own volition, sometimes it seems to evaporate like water, only to condensate and reform within your grasp. The weight never changes, despite its volatility.

[2 vs 7] You once again make to Burn, but instead, something within you hesitates, and that hesitation is enough to seal it back away, however angry it is. We burn him or vent his corpse later, do you understand, Patches?! After this war, after SEED. We deserve more than a morbid display.

Eat it--blood is easier, but I didn't want to sicken Emma and our allies.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:03:38 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 16, 2020, 12:55:41 am »

That escalated quickly.  Also... she wants us to eat the ash?  In any case, SEED's treachery is clear.  It must be dealt with in an appropriate manner.

Have we gained the power to ignite invisible fires with our fingertips?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:09:11 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 16, 2020, 01:09:54 am »

[-]The corpse remains, with only a slightly more haggard expression to show for the troubles you put it through. His robes are burned away at the chest, and the gold of his armor has cooled into slag on either side of him. The ash...is dust. Dust you extracted from his corpse, through a complex calculation you cannot begin to understand...yet.

[-]The calculations are hard and costly, you notice, and you're still weak. You feel like attempting to replicate them will end poorly for you. Do you still wish to proceed?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 16, 2020, 01:13:30 am »

Do not proceed.  "[Thank you for your timely assistance, Pontifex.  It would appear that my sibling died from starvation rather than from his wounds.  How odd.  Do you think that the Holy SEED would know how this came to pass?]"

You want us to eat the dust?  If the answer is affirmative, eat the dust.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:22:55 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 16, 2020, 01:13:46 am »

No no no no no what

what are we doing

what just happened

Er, no.

And give me a moment to figure out how on earth we're gonna deal with this.  :-\

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 16, 2020, 01:19:35 am »

I think things will become clearer once we take the dust.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 16, 2020, 01:23:53 am »

Hnnng. It'd be pretty hard to make things worse at this point, so sure why not?

Do not proceed.  "[Thank you for your timely assistance, Pontifex.  It would appear that my sibling died from starvation rather than from his wounds.  How odd.  Do you think that the Holy SEED would know how this came to pass?]"

You want us to eat the dust?  If the answer is affimative, eat the dust.

+̸̭̔1̶̨͇̽

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 16, 2020, 01:25:10 am »

Better that we expose the SEED as a traitor now rather than after the final battle, weakened, which we would have had we not uncovered the truth.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 16, 2020, 01:32:38 am »

Maybe. Yes. Probably. I don't know. We're becoming a monster. I don't know anymore. I don't know.

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 381