00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253116 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #705 on: March 16, 2020, 01:57:07 am »

The Pontifex begins to command Emma and the other guard, telling them to come closer, "Alright, we need to get our stories straight-- and this is exactly what happened, do the both of you understand?" Emma and the Guard nod, listening to the words of the Pontifex. You, however, zone it out, opening your mouth and shoving the dust in with a burst of energy, the Pontifex trails off, watching you.

[17]You are not here anymore. You're on a dry, dusty world, near a massive machine that thrums with energy. You approach, ready to be changed, ready to be born anew.

And you are. The powers that manifest allow you to notice much about the planet you spin on. The soil, the composition, what part this to what part this, the percentages play out in your mind. You lift a hand one day, putting your will into the ground, drawing out the silica into a sharp crystalline spear. The next day you pull moisture from the air to turn the soil moist and make it into sinking quicksand.

Wars follow as you leave your home, one mercenary company, then another. Lovers, friends, foes, all eventually die, leaving you alone to drift in the void. Until you happen upon a planet with a pinging distress signal. The voice that negotiates your pay is odd and halting, but food and wealth are food and wealth.

You don your armor, meeting with the machine that rules these people. You're angered by such a strange place where the men obey the machine, but food and wealth...

The war is harsh, against [the plague], but you've fought worse creatures, and these die easily enough.

A battlefield is suddenly turned into sharp spikes, impaling abominations in the thousands.

The world opens up, swallowing creatures with a simple application of will.

The final fight is rough, your shield failing you, and the grand abomination that commands the rest brutalizes you with sharp tentacles of silvery steel. It takes everything you have within you to pull apart the ground and drop the creature into savage, massive spikes that jut high into the sky. It continues to squirm until you cut it apart, piece by piece with your Cutter. You fall to the earth, healing yourself and breathing hard, ragged. Every bone in your body aches, and looking down-- that's a lung...then you awaken again.

You're in an empty room, the walls reinforced steel meters thick. There's no more strength in your body, no weapon to help you...you fade away.

[14+4 vs 7] When you open your eyes, you're in the plaza. Squads of Crusaders mingle around the building but don't give you a second glance. The Pontifex is speaking to a small group of officers, and they look apologetic. He's angry, you realize, "Your failure to guard the [angel] against this extremism is sickening, Crusaders. Tell your general to meet me tonight-- I must have a word with him about screening his candidates better. Not only was the [angel] and her adjutant nearly killed, but the sacred relic of McCreary was damaged in her rage. Do you understand how much a humiliation this is for the Crusaders?"

"I want dinner and the walk you promised." Emma softly murmurs, leaning heavily into you. She's holding your hand tightly, like a vise, and her skin is paler than usual. In your other hand, you realize, is a shimmering dagger of glass, stained with blood. "You killed the guard with that." Emma quietly offers your role, "But not before blacking out and unleashing a firestorm to protect me."

Your other guard stands beside you silently, expression hidden beneath her kevlar mesh mask. You note, with relief, that she's the one that recommended the restaurant, but now you know that she's the Pontifex's dog.

Continue to listen to me, to let me in Patches. I'll make us more powerful than we can ever dream. Alphira's voice sends a shiver down your back-- its so clear, so easy to hear. Would letting her have more say really be that bad?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:05:31 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 16, 2020, 02:03:16 am »

Hmm.  What should we do about the SEED?  I don't think we need to act immediately, but I do think that we should be wary.  If it killed the previous angel, it could kill us as well.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 16, 2020, 02:22:12 am »

SEED can wait. We have more immediate concerns.
Namely, remorse.

...We'll talk later. Now allow me this moment.

Drop the shard.

"I-- I didn't want this-- I didn't want any of this-- not for you-- not for me--"
Hugs. Grief.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:38:05 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 16, 2020, 02:29:39 am »

SEED can wait. We have more immediate concerns.
Namely, remorse.

You've given me nothing but pain. Now allow me this moment.

Drop the shard.

"I-- I didn't want this-- I didn't want any of this-- not for you-- not for me--"
Hugs. Grief.

+1

I'm listening.  Perhaps you could have been more... subtle, however.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 16, 2020, 02:37:48 am »

I'm listening.  Perhaps you could have been more... subtle, however.

I'd be willing to consider having words to this end with Alphira later-- we desperately need to come to some sort of understanding with her, seeing as she can apparently take control of us and murder people whenever she thinks her honor's been slighted. For now, though... I'd really rather just set the whole thing aside until we're a little better equipped emotionally to deal with it.

Hm. To that end, Imma revise my post a wee bit back there.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 16, 2020, 02:41:59 am »

Maybe we can reason with her if she can express less anger and more respect for the sanctity of life.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 16, 2020, 02:50:03 am »

[-]You're overwhelm with-- everything, and start babbling an apology to Emma. You're slumped on the ground, on your rear, trying to explain anything, trying to explain something to Emma- realization blooms across her face. Anger slowly drains away from the surface, leaving you a scared shell.

"Shh-shhh...this isn't -really- your fault-- the guard flipped out when it saw the case crack-- he tried to hold me hostage. The Pontifex shot him-- you didn't pull that trigger, you didn't mess with his mind, you were angry about your brother and wanted to see him...I understand. Shh, shhh...the guard moved first- it wasn't you. I promise Pheobe."

With a firm grasp on either side of your tear-stained face, she makes you look at her, "Look if you really feel that bad, just promise me you'll swish with something before kissing me tonight. I love you, Pheobe. I know what that means." She pulls you close, kissing your forehead. "We'll be fine together, okay?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 16, 2020, 02:58:54 am »

Gratitude. Unwinding. Dinner.

Sometime tonight, we're gonna have to open actual negotiations with Alphira. Sometime tonight, we're gonna have to consider the question of SEED.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:02:57 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 16, 2020, 03:00:20 am »

I agree.  She's too powerful to ignore.  Perhaps the time has come for SEED to retire.

Gratitude. Unwinding. Dinner.

Sometime tonight, we're gonna have to open actual negotiations with Alphira. Sometime tonight, we're gonna have to consider the question of SEED.
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 16, 2020, 03:03:37 am »

Er, also... sometime tonight we're gonna have to figure out what actually happened just now, 'cos I've got a feeling Emma's giving us comfort over truth here.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 16, 2020, 03:04:52 am »

It is true that the Pontifex shot him, we just broke the case, I believe.  why the Pontifex shot him is in question though.

From the update: "he was shot in the head by the Pontifex."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:13:25 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 16, 2020, 03:13:13 am »

This specifically

"Alright, we need to get our stories straight-- and this is exactly what happened, do the both of you understand?" Emma and the Guard nod, listening to the words of the Pontifex.

leaves me wondering just what went down when we weren't looking.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 16, 2020, 03:15:38 am »

There was one death, and the update did indicate that he was specifically shot by the Pontifex.  Other than that, whatever happened when we weren't looking isn't particularly important, in my opinion, as no one else was hurt.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 16, 2020, 03:17:48 am »

Who'd we stab tho? We stabbed somebody.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 16, 2020, 03:19:36 am »

I took another look, but I didn't see a stabbing.  May I ask what the exact quote from the update is that indicated we hurt someone?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 381