00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253177 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #645 on: March 13, 2020, 09:45:45 pm »

---

--what
what what
what just happened
what

---

okay

"Alphira."
+1
Clearly an AI runs the place, this is very interesting

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:19 pm »

"[Alphira.]"

SEED is silent for a long time after that.

"That name is known. Classified until successful completion of operation:[Angel] of Fire. Relevant documents will be delivered. Begin recovery period."

The anger within you is exultant, happy, gleeful, like a child given a birthday gift. The guard wheel the cabinet away, and one returns to get you, delivering you into the ante-chamber. You wait patiently, letting yourself drift in and out of consciousness until you pass out.

When you awaken again, it's to Emma feeding you a gray, unappetizing sludge that tastes like cardboard, but it fills your stomach with a heavy weight. You don't protest the indignity, letting yourself get fed. The days drag on as you steadily put on weight, much to the glee of the small team of researchers and consultants assigned to you, of which Emma, you later learn, is part of. Her advice and knowledge on the subject of you awes the older researchers, who jump at the chance to study an [angel].

That is your official designation now, after all, and several people call you by 'Alphira' before Emma and Mother Nicole brutally put a stop to it by sacking the worst offender. Literally. The guards put them in a sack in front of the rest and drug them out the door. From then on, you're referred to in private by Pheobe or Miss Gainer.

Eventually, you regain enough strength to feed yourself and that's where the real fun begins. Brother Hop and Mother Nicole emerge with a bundle of books, all on strategy, command, and warfare. As you recover your strength, they want you to read until you're actually tired.

A month or two later, you stagger out of physical therapy, into the only free hour you have, and seek out Emma. It's difficult to find her, she's always working, coordinating your care with only a few major hiccups here and there. You find her at her desk, face down in a book, looking exhausted.

"Hey." She murmurs, catching sight of you.

You were going to say something, but your tongue catches in your throat.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:22:45 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:17 pm »

"Hey.  We haven't really had a chance to talk lately.  How are you holding up?  You're doing a great job, by the way."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 13, 2020, 11:33:29 pm »

I'm... lost for words on this one.

"Hey.  We haven't really had a chance to talk lately.  How are you holding up?  You're doing a great job, by the way."

These are words. These are good words. +1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 14, 2020, 12:05:03 am »

[9]"I'm doing fine, thank you..." You can tell the opposite is true, Emma shifting uncomfortably in her chair, and you slowly approach. You claim a seat nearby, and she watches you with a tired look in her eyes.

"You're doing a great job, by the way. I...really appreciate it."

[12] "Thank you Pheobe." Emma melts a little, heaving a sigh. "I'm sorry if I've been distant, lately. Between all this and--just everything. It pisses me off!" And them Emma spends the next thirty minutes or so venting to you, sometimes venting about you, funnily enough, but you're smart enough not to comment, and instead just listen. It eventually ends with Emma holding you close, grumbling about the situation but also sniffling. She finishes in a slightly teasing manner, "Usually you're together with someone for thirty years before you have to spoon-feed them nutrient paste."

You laugh a little at that.

Now looking far more relaxed, she returns to business, rising to reclaim her seat. "Since you're up and moving, and the cause of all problems, would you mind helping me figure out what you need to do? The science team couldn't put together a schedule to save their lives, and I've, unfortunately, never trained an [angel]." You notice that every sixth day is stenciled in for Church Service and 'freetime (Emma)' already, and Emma smirks a little when she catches you looking.

"I wanted more free time with you, but...this will do. You still need to do more physical therapy, and Mother Nicole was adamant on training you in leadership. Other than that, no one has any idea what to do with you."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 14, 2020, 12:10:51 am »

Hmm.  I suppose development of our powers could be helpful, if done carefullyGetting a better sense of the resources available to us (apparently, everything military that this civilization has...) could be useful as well.  Maybe also learning more about our enemies, if anything is known of them.  Lastly, our advanced regenerative properties could be useful in allowing the researchers to explore the possibility of, and our ability to tolerate, implants that could help us on or off the battlefield.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:28:39 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 14, 2020, 01:39:06 am »

"I think I do."
"...Do you remember that night outside the Academy, with the kidnappers? Do you remember how you saw me catch a las-bolt to the back and shrug it off?"

"You weren't seeing things. And that was just the tip of the iceberg."

"I haven't done much experimenting yet-- there just weren't many chances to, at the Academy-- but I've found through trial and error some tricks with power that nobody else has. I've no idea how much I'm capable of. I think I've only just scratched the surface. Now that I'm not on Academy rations, I could probably learn to do a lot more-- I just need time to practice!"

"Other than that... study. I need to know what I'll be fighting, and I need to know how [angels] have fought in past. I need to learn what [angel] me can do, and it'll be easier to figure that out if I've got examples of what's been done."

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 14, 2020, 02:26:29 am »

"I think I do."
"...Do you remember that night outside the Academy, with the kidnappers? Do you remember how you saw me catch a las-bolt to the back and shrug it off?"

"I haven't done much experimenting yet-- there just weren't many chances to, at the Academy-- but I've found through trial and error some tricks with power that nobody else has. I've no idea how much I'm capable of. I think I've only just scratched the surface. Now that I'm not on Academy rations, I could probably learn to do a lot more-- I just need time to practice!"

"Other than that... study. I need to know what I'll be fighting, and I need to know how [angels] have fought in past. I need to learn what [angel] me can do, and it'll be easier to figure that out if I've got examples of what's been done."

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 14, 2020, 09:09:05 am »

"I think I do."

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 14, 2020, 10:48:09 pm »

[-]Emma writes down every word you say, her notes dividing out into many different mini-notes that scrawl across the paper.  Flinching at the mention of implants, she looks up from her scratch book, "I...doing that-- I'll send a message to Father, seeing if I can borrow some of our scientists...they're good with implants like that...I think they're the most experienced in the city-state."

[-]After you finish, Emma looks satisfied, looking over her notes with a nod and clarifying a few things with you. After you go over everything, front to back, she turns, opening the desk and handing over two large folders to you. "I was supposed to get these to you, by the way."

The first is labeled 'Project: [Angel] of Fire.' The Second is labeled 'Gathered Intelligence Report, Summarized.' You murmur thanks, leaning over to give Emma a goodnight kiss and head for your room. She smiles at you as she leaves, turning back to her work. With that show of affection out of the way, her pen continues to skitter across the paper as she begins to write the requisite requests and invoices.

Much has been improved since you first awoke, and now you're in a lavish suite of the complex. It has a comfortable, large bed, with an actual synth-cloth and spring mattress, a neat table, and too much closet space for your comfort. You take a seat at your desk, flipping through the files.

Spoiler: Angel of Fire (click to show/hide)

Invasion Intel Report
The news from the front is grim, indeed. The war has officially started, and across the entire Defensive Line, brutal skirmishes are fought to hold on to the defensive camps in those regions. Casualties are in the thousands and mounting. From your estimates, a company is lost every month. A draft is in the works, and the militias in the inner regions are being tasked with defending local investments. [The Infection] is using hit and run tactics with heavily armored [insects], and laser swords to protect against their attacks are in short supply. Underbarrel Inferno Shotguns are being used to stop the gap, but they're ineffective compared to melee protective squads.

Enemy aircraft are reported in the depths of the Western Wastes, and they're being used to conduct recon on the Defensive Line to significant effect. A few have been spotted further inland, with one even approaching the Holy City before being shot down by local AA units.

[-]Emma doesn't grace you with her presence that night, but she does awaken you with a soft tap on your door. She looks exhausted, like she hasn't slept, her hair a mess and heavy bags beneath her green eyes. She smiles at you, tossing you your uniform and claiming a seat nearby to explain whats going on.

"The Thornton family is willing to send their top scientist to help if you so choose. He has practical and lab experience with implants. A genius of a man, but he lacks a lot of ethics and morals." She passes a paper over to you, a letter written with your name formally asking for assistance, in return for relief on taxes. "Mother Nicole says she'll waive their taxes this year if they do so."

[3]"The clerks weren't able to find anything related directly to McCreary's battle, but, they recommend a pilgrimage to the place of it. Apparently, even after a thousand years, traces still remain. A guard detachment of thirty strong, with Hovercraft, have been assigned for your trip. Give them a day's notice and they'll be ready. "

"I've also got a new schedule for you to approve," Emma continues, pushing it over towards you. Every day is filled with training, attended on by the scientists and medical personnel. With relief, you realize that you still have free time with her, however. The location of your church service has changed too, to the Grand Cathedral of SEED. When you question her about it, she states, gently, "The Pontifex wants to deliver your service personally. I hope that's okay, he's an impressive orator, and you're a very zealous person-- its apparently a high honor. If it works for you, sign off on it."

[14] "The Crusaders don't want to flood you with information about every division and camp, so they recommended that after you're announced as [angel] you take a tour of inspections in the Defensive Lines. They're willing to put two cohorts of heavy infantry under your command, and any militia or private military force you can raise, but...uh...to put it politely, they don't want you to have to worry about it when there are bigger problems." Emma looks a little uncomfortable delivering this news to you, fidgeting in her seat. She hands you another letter to sign to accept the terms.

"After that, you can start with whatever you like."

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:55:24 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 14, 2020, 10:58:35 pm »

I would support asking the Thornton scientist for assistance.  We need all the advantages we can get.  I also don't see a problem with going ahead with meeting the Pontifex for church service.  Lastly, I would support taking the pilgrimage to gather more information.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 14, 2020, 11:04:48 pm »

I would support asking the Thornton scientist for assistance.  We need all the advantages we can get.  I also don't see a problem with going ahead with meeting the Pontifex for church service.  Lastly, I would support taking the pilgrimage to gather more information.

+1

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 14, 2020, 11:39:35 pm »

+1
+1 also sign for doing the inspections of defensive lines as well

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 14, 2020, 11:54:45 pm »

Emma nods as you sign and sign and sign. After a beat, she asks, "When do you want to go on your pilgrimage? Tomorrow? They say the trip will take a week- a day if you really push the soldiers and equipment. I'm sure you'll be fine, but regular people still need to sleep. I could probably arrange a relay of the Hovercraft and guards, but that will take more time, and is more dangerous."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 15, 2020, 12:06:01 am »

I don't think that time is so precious that we can't afford to spend two weeks going there and back, and I wouldn't want to risk lives and equipment unnecessarily, so I would support being accompanied, but not arranging for a relay.  Tomorrow is fine.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 381