00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253175 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #630 on: March 13, 2020, 07:08:35 pm »

No kidding.

"Yes... you say you spoke with SEED on my behalf, grandmother? That means a lot to me... thank you."
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 13, 2020, 07:40:53 pm »

Saner minds prevailed.

"I...did not speak with SEED. That is above me by many leagues, Pheobe. It took all the resources I had just to get the action plan viewed. If...if you fail..." Mother Nicole trails off into silence, uncomfortable with the attention that the Crusader General fixes her with.

[-] THe trip is over sooner than you think, and you're unceremoniously unloaded and set down onto the smooth concrete surface. Your head swims as you look over where you are. You stand on a platform, towering over a massive city that stretches out towards the horizon. The dimming sun shines over the ornate gold livery that adorns nearly every surface. Great etchings of significant historical and religious events are everything. They are a great many words, and formulas also adorned on every surface, describing a great many processes.

The city that stretches out beneath the platform is truly massive. It hums with life, with action. Slow-moving hover ships drift between towering skyscrapers-- none of which you can see the foundations of. People bustle about, all adorned in clean, flowing robes. Crusaders patrol in full battle gear, and in one of the elevated plazas sits an array of turrets, angled towards the sky.

You are bustled into a small room, separated from Emma and Mother Nicole without ceremony. The way you are dressed, however, is. You are carefully bathed, decontaminated in a special chamber, and an older female attendant dresses you with the help of a burly man. A necklace is placed around your neck, and the wheelchair is...also bathed and decontaminated following the same protocols.

You smell clean like soap and perfume. The robe is comfortable, flowing, and immaculate, threads of gold weaved into the white cloth, and the jewels glimmer in the light.

You are wheeled into an antechamber as ornate as every room you passed through. This room is different-- great panels of jade are inset into dark metal, gold and silver threads radiating outward. The accumulation of years of wealth are on display. Two guards, clad in heavy, dark robes, emerge from the same door you do. One pushes your chair, the other keeps a bright, teal las-rifle pointed at you. At his belt hangs a hilt that hums with a powerful reactor.

It fascinates you, and you catch yourself staring at it. Somewhere, an alarm chimes, and the door opens itself.

It leads to a massive domed room. Everything is covered in a fine layer of silver and gold, the bright lights suspended like gems from thin wires almost too small to see. At the center of it all is a table cut from jade, with a hole cut in the center. Machinery spirals out and up, out from the floor and through the center of the table. You do not have to be an expert to tell that it is old. The metal itself is unlike you've ever seen, a strange dark gray that seems to absorb the light around it. Lights blink on its length.

"[leave]."

The guards bow, turning with a billow of their robes and leaving you alone. Translating the voice makes your head hurt, the way it speaks is so...foriegn. So old, that your ability to keep up is hard to maintain. It is archaic to even the most archaic of tongues. Impossibly old. Too old.

"Pheobe Gainer. [purpose?]"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 13, 2020, 07:49:52 pm »

"[The service of all mankind. So wills my father.]"
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 13, 2020, 07:53:11 pm »

"[The service of all mankind. So wills my father.]"
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 13, 2020, 07:56:13 pm »

Hm, I'm curious now... just how much grammar can we even get away with speaking this tongue? Can we manage complete sentences, or will we have to speak in little snippets as SEED does?

For that matter, can we speak it at all or can we only translate?

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 13, 2020, 08:09:33 pm »

"[service]," is all you can muster, before a painful throb nearly knocks you out, you go slack in the chair, breathing hard, if you had more energy, more...anything, you could probably continue to converse.

"[reduce strain]." And you still cannot tell where the voice is coming from-- to the front of you? To the sides? Your headache makes it hard to focus on any one sound.

"The...the service of all mankind. So wills my father."

"[truth.]"

SEED doesn't speak next and you rest, gripping the chair hard enough to crack the plastic, holding yourself awake.

"[advanced signs of starvation. concern.]"

It goes silent, not responding to any of your words, and for a second, fear creeps over you. A robed figure hobbles in, carrying a strange length of metal. It lays it before the altar, retreating. From within the bundle of metal something shifts, flowing up organically. It resembles something like a silverfish, but you've never seen a silverfish with a welding apparatus. The silverfish works quickly, attaching the tube to the bundle of machines.

"Better, [affirmative]?"

You nod. The nature of speech is different too, more organic, more flowing. Less abrupt, less filled with useless strings of linguistic code that do nothing to help with your burning headache.

"Your patience is appreciated. I did not estimate your weakness to be so advanced as to lose translating capabilities. What is your purpose on-- [mͤ̂ͤͤ͛̄̎̓y͐̚] planet, designation Pheobe Gainer?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:17 pm »

"I don't know why I was sent here, as I've lost my memories, but I hope to help the Church and lead a happy life.  I certainly don't want to interfere with this planet of [thine]."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:18:53 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 13, 2020, 08:31:48 pm »

"I don't know why I was sent here, as I've lost my memories, but I hope to help the Church and lead a happy life.  I certainly don't want to interfere with this planet of [thine]."

+1

"...But this world needs more than that, doesn't it?"

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 13, 2020, 08:38:52 pm »

[5]SEED is silent. The silverfish is tweaking the machinery here and there, and there's a small spark before it fixes something upon it.

"Affirmative."

It waits, before supplying a continuation to its statement.

"Your kind killed many of mine. Suspicion. Your [Endless Emperor, Empress] orders my destruction. What is your plan of action?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 13, 2020, 08:42:20 pm »

"I believe that my kind cast me away.  If true, I have no love for them.  I will fight to protect this planet, my new home, and those that dwell here.  Can you tell me of our different kinds?  What are we?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 13, 2020, 08:45:01 pm »

"I believe that my kind cast me away.  If true, I have no love for them.  I will fight to protect this planet, my new home, and those that dwell here.  Can you tell me of our different kinds?  What are we?"

Perfect.  +1

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 13, 2020, 09:03:56 pm »

Perfect.  +1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 13, 2020, 09:30:24 pm »

[20] SEED doesn't respond, but the Silverfish scurries back into the machinery, squirreling itself away into its depths,

"A single cell in an organism of war. You swept across the galaxy and burned order into the entropy. Soldiers, warriors, gods, demons, and angels. There are as many names for you as there are stars in the night sky. An army armed with the language of the universe."

"You are not the first of that line, only one of many, a man-made virus passed down over thousands of years, evolving."

"You will be my angel, Pheobe Gainer. What comes later wo--000."

A spark flies from the machinery, and SEED is silent.

A door opens into the Sanctum, and two burly guards in heavy robes wheel something that looks very much like a stretched cabinet beside the Altar. They key a code into the front of the locker and the door swings open.

Inside is a magnificent panoply, and you rise to your feet shakily, the guards having the excellent idea to provide an arm for you to lean on. The full suit of combat armor gleams, finished with gold and silver, a dense material that weighs next to nothing for you. As an experiment, you pass it to the terrified guard, and he nearly drops it with the weight.

"How heavy is that?"

"Six [pounds]." He stammers, shocked. You nod, ticking your head back to the slot for it. Folded in the center of the armor are faded, moth-worn synthetic leathers, and you brush your fingers over them, confused. They are not designed for you, you can tell, far too big and bulky, especially in the shoulder region. Looking over the armor, you notice that you'll have to have it fitted once you make a recovery-- whoever owned this before you was a giant of a man, and you're lucky that you're the same height.

But what draws your attention is the sash with a strange rectangle of metal upon it. It hums with power, more than anything you've encountered in this world. You reach out for it, taking it in your hand.

[17] A memory comes back to you, and you push your willpower against it, willing it to live. The air around you grows stale and confined, a slight breeze filtering in through the field of energy that pushes everything back. Its durable, that is true but weaker than your old one.

[5] A tremor runs through you, and you stumble against the guard supporting you, breathing hard. Blood drips from your nose, and you brush it away carelessly with your ornate robes, staining the fabric a dark red.

An automatic carbine las-gun sits above it all, but it doesn't look active-- its probably broken, you realize, and a quick tear-down inspection that drives a sharp gasp from the two guards confirms that is the case. A lot of the contacts have rusted away, the old internal battery is corroded from the inside out, and the coolant within is non-existent, a grey sludge that is warmer than the cold room. You're tempted to throw it on the ground in disgust, but restrain yourself.

But what draws your attention is a gleaming Cutter hilt at the belt of the armor. The reactor within hums perfectly, and it fits comfortably within your off-hand. A dial, held in place by a safety mechanism, sits near your thumb, you point it away from the panoply and activate it. A thin filament pops outs of the top as you scroll the dial-up, and across its length, a white-hot fire burns to life. The heat doesn't bother you, instead filling you with an odd comfort. The display on the side begins to count down- faster or slower, depending on how long the blade is.

You turn it off, letting the metal cool before slipping it back into the holding. There's a few knives, a knuckle-duster, and an odd sort of rigid-frame backpack designed to clip on to the torso of the armor.

"Your armor. Modifications will be made according to your specifications. What name do you wish to be known by?" Seed startles you as it begins speaking again, that Silverfish back and fixing yet another part on the machine.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:02:34 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 13, 2020, 09:38:18 pm »

---

--what
what what
what just happened
what