00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 253244 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #510 on: March 09, 2020, 05:13:12 am »

One thing I would like to focus on is investigating and researching the dark happenings in the west.
+1 also learn more about SEED

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 09, 2020, 10:53:23 pm »

Whatever else we do, be sure to continue our work in the interest of district 09 as ordered by Mother Nicole. Gather our clique, keep a sharp eye out for anything worth mention, and report back our findings regular-like-- all with the demeanor of a loving grandaughter (for what more could we possibly be?).
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 10, 2020, 02:10:41 am »

Whew, done! Almost done with the first act. Yayyy.

[-]The mornings once again begin to blur together into the rituals of discipline, training, and Scholarly endeavors. The workload, you notice, is twice as much as previously. After-class work burns away any free-time you might have had. The second day back, the teachers announce that a paper is due at the end of your time with the Academy. Luckily, it doesn't require that much work, but the formatting itself is the most challenging part, as well as determining which Scholar's Tongue to use while writing it. There's a strict set of guidelines involved with what language you can use for disseminating information. It ranges from something that's barely above the conversational dialect of the region to a nearly indecipherable code of references and cross-references. You must translate a non-Scholarly work of considerable length into the latter. Emma has to help you, as writing the paper -literally- gives you a nosebleed.

You can only really spend time with Emma on your one free day, after service, but the two of you spend as much time together as possible, even if it's just eating together. You have a brief quarrel over something she said, and after the two of you got over yourselves, you apologized and she started calling you [angel] instead.

[take 15]You arrange to start receiving Newspapers from the Holy City through Brother Hop. The subscription is relatively inexpensive, but Hop charges you extra for the delivery. The papers list sedate things like festivals and joyous events. There is scarcely anything mentioned about the West past the River Grey. But you can piece together about what's happening through collating the scarce data you gather. -[.30 credits] in local currency.

Brother Hop lets you read the paper while you give him your weekly debrief, and encourages you to write your grandmother, even if its nothing important. That surprises you, but the letters you get back seem less and less hostile as time goes on. Some even speak of how proud she is of you. Not her grand-daughter, of you. You wonder if this is the Brother's doing. When you question him about the situation, he explains in a clear diatribe, "I haven't seen behavior to worry her about. You use your powers responsibly and without letting others notice. You hide your heritage and seek to actually better the Great Work. You're a faithful friend and respectful student, even when I'm harsh. I wish you were more [hellish]."

The west is going through a crisis. The Outlander clans there are pushing in towards the Holy City once more, but more frenzied than ever before. The wild insect herds have all vanished from that region, replaced by a larger and more territorial species. Local Hunters are dying in droves, unable to deal with this new threat. Cattle and tame insect herds grazing on the wrong side of the river vanish overnight.

There have been a few towns that have vanished as well, and you only know this because there are rare route cancellations posted in the travel section. Travel to outlander towns is infrequent, however, so there isn't much effect on the general populace.

The Crusaders are building up a more substantial military presence, requiring even more resources from the Autonomous Regions than the daily tithes. Debt slaves have been being moved around to strategic locations, including the regions responsible for bio-plastic, guns, and steel.

Letters from home confirm your theory-- the workload at the Number 9 mines is becoming crippling. Literally. Other Eric's father died in a mineshaft cave-in, and Quincy's mother lost a leg in the same.

The local 'Families' have to provide more monetary and material support. Emma shows you a letter from home, describing how the Thornton family has to volunteer their scientists and military trainers, as well as pay higher taxes. You notice it's in an ingenious cipher-- it doesn't mention any positions within the family, just names and how they've moved and how bad taxes are this year.

Quote from: The Holy Book of SEED
...SEED is a great presence, a holy filling spirit that guides humanity through its darkest times and its brightest. Clad within its holy coat, it protects the growing might that will change the world and bring about Utopia for all who have followed it's Holy Words. Rejoice.

The Coat of SEED provides the great foundations for the center of learning and holy thought, the Holy City, SEED's rest...

...through SEED, man learned fire, and how to tame the Wild of the world...

...in its darkest histories, the Crusades, SEED has spoken directly to the lucky populace of the Holy City. It has given advice, given warnings, and announced edicts. Many cannot understand SEED's words, requiring the Scholars to translate it for the masses...

...truly, the love SEED has for humanity that it ripped out its wings and [gender-neutral reproductive organs], devouring them to give life to humanity...

[1]You cannot find much more information than this about SEED.

The days drag on, through long-winded lectures, boring sermons, and intense physical training. Live fire training begins, and several of the young Scholars nearly kill themselves and others. Every night as extra work, you must disassemble a las-rifle, clean it, and reassemble it, adding to the already crippling amount of work in your free time. Your classmates look exhausted, and a few of your friends wonder how lousy being a debt-slave is.

[19+3]You encourage them to bear with it, that this difficulty will pass in time. You do well in your intention to motivate your fellow Academians, supporting them with prayers and meditation sessions.  The occasional fiery words about suffer not the [demon] to live also help, especially the more aggressive ones. It doesn't hurt as much as you thought it would to lie to them.

[14]You submit your year-end paper, and receive a passing grade. Several of your references were wrong, but you passed with an acceptable margin of points. You receive the top marks in your physical, in firearm handling and breakdown, and slightly less stellar marks in aiming. Eric comes next, followed by McGee and James. Johnathan received the highest praise for his aim, but received average marks for physical endurance and weapon breakdown.

Mathematics took you a while to grasp, but they come intuitively to you, you realize. You do well in that as well. However, some of the more complicated math problems still make you have an aching headache. Physics and Chemistry, you also do well in, but the life sciences allude your understanding on a fundamental level. Something about [carbon] bonding so much is difficult to pick up on. If you study harder, you might be able to understand more.

By the end of the week, you receive a very slim envelope in your room. Your heart sinks. Maybe you didn't do well on the test like you originally thought-- everyone else received a massive envelope. But yours is different, you realize as you prise it open. It contains two documents, a list of jobs with pay, and a map. Benefits remain roughly the same, room and board in a mixed-gender dormitory, prepared foods, healthcare, uniforms, dress outfit, etc, but that's to be expected early on in your Scholarly Career. You receive an extra day of free time during the week for non-Crusader postings.
Code: (Postings, Summarized) [Select]
Crusader General Infantry(Only Defensive Line Districts): [.1 credits]
Crusader Junior Officer(Only Defensive Line Districts): [.16 credits]
Crusader Security Officer: [.11 credits]
Entry Level Crusader Security Officer Management: [.11 credits]
Entry Level Hydrogen Refinery Technician (Only In Refinery District): [.12 credits]
Entry Level Fusion Reactor Maintenance Officer: [.12 credits]

Spoiler: Map of SEED City State (click to show/hide)

Quote from: A Letter Within
Dear Pheobe Gainer,

We hope that you are your grandmother's granddaughter, but understand if you decide to blaze your own path. Regardless of what you do, you will be a valuable asset to SEED and the Great Work.

Your's Faithfully,
Crusader General Thomas Harrdy

You have a week to decide.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map of Local Area (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 10, 2020, 04:13:47 am »

Lets go see if Emma has decided what she's going to do so we can try to do the same thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2020, 05:42:49 am »

Let’s do Crusader Security Officer
They seem to be the fighting job that gets paid the most, from our last fight we clearly see that we enjoy them

Rescinded, actual vote below
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:39:34 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2020, 07:18:18 am »

Lets go see if Emma has decided what she's going to do so we can try to do the same thing.
+1
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2020, 11:28:30 am »

+1
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2020, 04:26:01 pm »

"I wish you were more [hellish]."

Hmm. It almost seems Brother Hop wants us to tap into our [demonic] nature... I wonder.

+1
+1

One more +1 for the +1 pile; talking this over with Emma's as good a way to approach the question as any.

That discussion aside, I'm mightily tempted to ignore the Crusader postings entirely and spring for a scholar's post instead. Mother Nicole will be displeased, I expect, and the crusader's life would probably be ideal for reclaiming our old self... but Mother Nicole doesn't control our decision here, and I don't like our old self. Alphira was (far as we know) violent and miserable. Phoebe Gainer is not. The [demon] war will probably catch up to us sooner or later, but for now-- for now, I'd like to chase after whatever semblance of a happy life we can get.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2020, 04:38:19 pm »

Hmm. It almost seems Brother Hop wants us to tap into our [demonic] nature... I wonder.

+1
+1

One more +1 for the +1 pile; talking this over with Emma's as good a way to approach the question as any.

That discussion aside, I'm mightily tempted to ignore the Crusader postings entirely and spring for a scholar's post instead. Mother Nicole will be displeased, I expect, and the crusader's life would probably be ideal for reclaiming our old self... but Mother Nicole doesn't control our decision here, and I don't like our old self. Alphira was (far as we know) violent and miserable. Phoebe Gainer is not. The [demon] war will probably catch up to us sooner or later, but for now-- for now, I'd like to chase after whatever semblance of a happy life we can get.
+1, Rescinding previous vote

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2020, 05:00:41 pm »

+1
+1

But should we prepare ourselves for the coming war?  I feel like our skills in battle would be better honed as a Crusader rather than as a Scholar.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2020, 05:51:43 pm »

Hm, there is that... well, we'll see how the talk goes.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2020, 06:28:33 pm »

Hm, there is that... well, we'll see how the talk goes.
yes, we can talk with Emma, then when we hear what she thinks, we can go from there, Crusader does sound like a plan, at the same time, I want to know if Emma decided yet

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2020, 10:03:28 pm »

[-]You knock politely at Emma's door before entering.

"Come in!"

Emma glances over her shoulder and when she sees it's you, she flashes a beaming smile. There are dozens of papers and letters haphazardly organized on her desk. Propped up against the wall is the same map you received, and she has a number of pins in place. You take a moment to admire her organizational talent, and her in general.

"Impressive." You comment, and she giggles a little at the innuendo.

"I have too many offers!" She claims. "I have to sort them out somehow."

"I didn't get that many." You explain, showing her the three documents. Her eyes find the letter and go wide, she takes it from you and reads it over, "You got a letter from the Crusader General?"

"Didn't everyone?"

"No." Emma explains, "We mostly got letters from random officers or scientists."

"So, have you decided where you want to go?"

"I kinda wanted your advice on that? I mean, if we're...staying together through this..." She trails off, reclaiming her seat and looking through the letters, "It should be good for both of us, right? Is there a particular region or something you wanted to do? I've got a lot of opportunities-- entry-level medical officer in the defensive line, a couple of more rural postings, a scientist needing a scribe..." She goes on, glancing back at you with each one to see what peaks your interest.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2020, 10:17:39 pm »

“Ah, we can both work at the defense line, then”

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2020, 10:41:35 pm »

We can probably find overlap here with both combat and non-combat postings.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 381