Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478440 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:One year of this terror Edition
« Reply #5085 on: February 01, 2021, 05:15:23 am »

With all the governments being stupid should we start handing out copies of that Civil Defense pamphlet that tells you how to dispose of a dead body?

Only if your government is too stupid to dispose of the bodies themselves
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: February 01, 2021, 05:23:06 am »

With all the governments being stupid should we start handing out copies of that Civil Defense pamphlet that tells you how to dispose of a dead body?

But what if there are more bodies than trucks to take them away?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: February 01, 2021, 05:28:20 am »

Then you order more trucks, preferably from my hometown. DAF trucks are pretty great at transporting dead bodies with minimal carbon emission!

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: February 01, 2021, 05:48:02 am »

Crapfuck.  Our government spreads word that not only do they intend to reopen the schools next week, they are also partially reopening the non-essential retail stores. Partially, it's collect only for goods ordered online. According to our PM, if it's up to him and in any way possible, he will lift the curfew too.

This is too soon. More than half our ICUs are still filled. Only a few hundred thousand people have been vaccinated. Infection rates are going down, but not enough to reopen stores if you ask me. Schools, I dunno. For virus spread it might be unwise, but for the children, we kinda have to. They've missed out on nearly a full year of education now and are suffering abuse.

But this is not a medically motivated decision. This is fear of the public opinion in the light of upcoming elections.
Well, I guess we'll get a third wave somewhere near summer.

EDIT: I have the solution! We should go out to the streets and riot and plunder, to demand the lockdown is extended! If the police interferes we tell them to leave us alone, because we are healthcare workers and our covid patients need us!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:55:29 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: February 01, 2021, 06:06:23 am »

Teachers are already protesting, they demand they get moved up the queue for vaccination so they can feel safer when standing in front of a freshly opened tin of cabin fevered kids. They also demand PPE masks.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: February 01, 2021, 06:54:25 am »

I consider this a microcosm of how the world will respond to the up-coming "super crisis" of climate change; Even more, more stringent, and stalwart denial, with even more death--- but because we have air conditioning, it's fine. "nothing to worry about."
As a man of science, I'm sure you appreciate the implications in this graph.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Enjoy it while it lasts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: February 01, 2021, 06:57:11 am »

Yeah, while everyone might think Covid is a terrible plague, WE are the true plague

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: February 01, 2021, 10:56:06 am »

I consider this a microcosm of how the world will respond to the up-coming "super crisis" of climate change; Even more, more stringent, and stalwart denial, with even more death--- but because we have air conditioning, it's fine. "nothing to worry about."
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Cue the second phase of the Green Revolution, the Soylent Green Revolution.  For 'science'! ("Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.")

But also for 'education'! -aka the production line of greedy institutionalised fucks - ("Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.")

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: February 01, 2021, 12:21:30 pm »

Kind of insensitive given that dead bodies over the capability of funerary services to cope has already happened many times in the last 12 months. Just saying.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: February 01, 2021, 12:24:48 pm »

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I see your scary chart, and raise you a scary paper-- (see factor #4 in their risk breakdown)

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2656.2008.01426.x

Do note that #4 is not the only thing about that paper that is scary; It's very nature, when applied to human population growth and resource scarcities and mass human-caused extinctions of other species, should be highly evident.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:34:24 pm by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: February 01, 2021, 12:34:04 pm »

But but, migration is good for our genetic health... It counteracts the effects of centuries of inbreeding (not quite true, apparently children of mixed race suffer just as much or more from hereditary illnesses)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: February 01, 2021, 12:35:40 pm »

That is "rescue effect".

In this case, they are talking about "hyper mobility", which humans have, through technological means.  It enables a population center that would otherwise survive, because they are within tolerances for their local niche, to become unviable, because umpteen bazillion people all try to move there at once, and destroy its viability.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: February 01, 2021, 12:37:06 pm »

Ah right, that makes sense

EDIT: in more corona related news, the british variant is now responsible for half of all infections in the Netherlands. I don't think they're overestimating it if they say it is about 50% more infectious than the original strain.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:38:53 pm by martinuzz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5098 on: February 01, 2021, 03:33:42 pm »

Ah right, that makes sense

EDIT: in more corona related news, the british variant is now responsible for half of all infections in the Netherlands. I don't think they're overestimating it if they say it is about 50% more infectious than the original strain.
I'm sorry our islands have exported this to you

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: February 01, 2021, 03:35:52 pm »

Bwah random mutation at a random location in a random location is random, can't really blame that on the location

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 459