Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477456 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1845 on: March 30, 2020, 12:35:14 am »

Just wait until those old retirees (in florida) start dropping like flies.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: March 30, 2020, 01:49:30 am »

Meanwhile in India, doctors have written a letter to the government asking for help, after a lot of them have been thrown out of their houses by angry mobs and neighbors, who do not wish to live nextdoor to what they see as high risk infection vectors.
Medical staff now more often than not sleep in the bathrooms and waiting areas of the hospitals they work at, because they, together with all their belongings, were thrown out of their houses.

That's India for you.  Such a lovely country.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: March 30, 2020, 02:05:20 am »

That's India for you.  Such a lovely country.

Man, glad that isn't happening here in the US.

(obviously, it goes without saying that it is)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: March 30, 2020, 03:45:13 am »

So instead of allowing the "infection vector" to rest in the isolation of their home, they are pushed to spend their free time in a public space frequently used by vulnerable people. Well done, Nurgle bless you for being part of the problem.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: March 30, 2020, 04:11:24 am »

So I was recently surprised to discover I can currently order a new car on finance through one dealership and get a safety certificate for the sale of a second car through another dealership.

So I guess car dealerships are an essential service right now?

Not that I'm complaining. I need a new vehicle to get home delivery of medications happening ASAP. So for me, I guess it actually was essential.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: March 30, 2020, 07:07:51 am »

They kinda' are? Beyond the whole transportation thing (which can be important if public transportation for the area is shite, ala the majority of the US), at least in my neck of the woods they tend to also do (often expensive compared to non-dealerships, but...) repair and maintenance for vehicles they sell, and that, reasonably enough, is legitimately fairly essential. Most places handling vehicle repair and/or parts are considered essential. Travel is discouraged, but you still need to be able to get around to handle genuinely important stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
One day does not a trend make
« Reply #1851 on: March 30, 2020, 07:57:59 am »

I know it is not a trend, especially since it was over a Sunday which is a "slow" day, but it's somewhat comforting that both my state and the US as a whole had fewer new cases reported than the day before.  US had far fewer deaths reported (my state was up a few, but it's still in the low tens, so ±2 every day is kind of in the noise).

Also worldwide plots had a day of growth factor below 1: daily new cases yesterday dropped to 59000 compared to 67000 the day before.

Maybe, maybe all these social distancing things do work?

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: March 30, 2020, 08:14:43 am »

When they run out of hand sanitizer, where else can you buy refined ethanol, eh?
Haha, that reminds me of a joke I forgot to make - what are the alcoholics supposed to drink if you paranoid folks keep buying all the hand sanitiser?   

Mouthwash, same as ever

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: March 30, 2020, 08:19:12 am »

Meanwhile in India, doctors have written a letter to the government asking for help, after a lot of them have been thrown out of their houses by angry mobs and neighbors, who do not wish to live nextdoor to what they see as high risk infection vectors.

In Februrary (when the situation was worst), some stores refused to serve doctors and nurses. This can happen in anywhere. But there were also hotels near hospital providing accommodation for doctors when public transportation was suspended in Wuhan. Not all people can act honorably or even sensibly in the face of disaster, but some do.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: March 30, 2020, 08:21:42 am »

Well I’m at the hospital for my moms surgery. One silver lining I guess is that handed out masks to everyone in the hospital. With the way things are going, I didn’t expect to get my hands on one. Goin g to get a lot of mileage out of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:06 am »

Good luck to your mom! Hope it all goes well.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: March 30, 2020, 09:21:55 am »

The medical system in NY is getting overloaded already. Putting bodies in refrigerated 18-wheelers.
The borough of Queens getting hammered really badly, especially in the lower wealth high density immigrant communities
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:24:46 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:19 am »

Norway (one of the hospitals in my town even, actually) has apparently joined part of a WHO research effort on testing medications for covid19.

They're going to be putting certain patients on hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir, alone or combined with interferon-β 1a

That... I dunno, I'm no medical professional, but I was under the impression that all of those things were somewhat unpleasant to go through just on their own. Curious to see how they play together.

Hope they get some good effect out of it...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:57 am »

At this point, any side effects up to becoming psychotic or homicidal are better options than just dying.

EDIT: in other news, the near complete stop to air travel poses a problem. Parking spots for civilian airlines are becomeing so scarce that military bases are now used to park them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:13:56 am by martinuzz »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: March 30, 2020, 11:24:32 am »

And thus we will finally learn if we've made more planes than there are spaces to land them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 459