Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477202 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1575 on: March 24, 2020, 12:04:57 pm »

For that same reason African poor countries might get less severe outbreaks, because less people there reach an age that is at high risk.
They have far less hospital capacity too. Again, the rule of the game here is not the virus' deadliness, its how it infects everyone at the same time. By sheer numbers, a significant number of people in those nations will need hospital care. And they have little in that regard in the first place.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 24, 2020, 12:05:33 pm »

The police have begun enforcing social distancing in New York. Already most people I could see were following, but in compliance with the governor's demand that the city makes good on it, the police are acting to issue warnings to people, disperse gatherings, and telling businesses to close: on personal note, I've already seen this happening. A curfew starts at 8PM every day, businesses close at this time too. A Brooklyn Principal died from the virus, showing the costs of delaying the closure of schools. A friend of my mother's is a court reporter and picked it up from there, so it's probably been spreading through the justice system. 22 Homeless centers in NYC have reported instances of the virus. The state is at 25,000 cases, 14,000 in the city. Fears are focusing on the curve not yet flattening; it seems likely it will continue to rise and peak around 2 weeks from now, threatening to overwhelm the hospitals even more than it already has.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 24, 2020, 12:05:46 pm »

Yeah, the Orthodox church as a whole seems to have decided that Eucharists, holy water, and possibly priests are all immune to covid since God would never allow corruption of his holy blah blah total insanity

They're even worse than the megachurches in the US about this. What I'm saying is, it's now pretty clear that the Great Schism was justified.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 24, 2020, 12:07:29 pm »

Watching TV news right now, there's a bit about the Spanish situation, showing people overflowing into the hallways of hospitals, passed out.

The latest news is that authorities in Spain found nursing home patients "abandoned", with some found dead in their beds. So the system is really collapsing, people dying in nursing homes, not tested, no quarantined apparently.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:16:41 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: March 24, 2020, 12:27:09 pm »

Paranoid asshole stepdad is now making everyone at home take temperature. Given that I've been stuck inside for almost a week now, everyone else even longer, and nobody has had any reasonable possible contact with possible infected for even longer than that, I think this is pretty unreasonable. That said, two different thermometers have also given me a surprisingly low body temperature: 97.6°F for one* and 98.2°F for the other.

My paranoid asshole employer is requiring everyone to take their temperature multiple times a day, even if you're working from home. To prevent you from infecting yourself, I guess.

Guess who lives somewhere where the thermometers are all sold out.

Right now the only thing that worries me is groceries. Isolation? No problem. Services shutdown? I can deal. No fast food/restaurant food/delivery? I'll manage.

But if I can't get anything resembling what I'm used to at the grocery store and am just grabbing random consumables.....le panic.

You can get to a grocery store? I'm hoping the store that sells only-slightly-out-of-date canned goods (which don't become poison right away or anything) isn't closed/sold out.

Yeah, the Orthodox church as a whole seems to have decided that Eucharists, holy water, and possibly priests are all immune to covid since God would never allow corruption of his holy blah blah total insanity

They're even worse than the megachurches in the US about this. What I'm saying is, it's now pretty clear that the Great Schism was justified.

The Catholic Church is needing to agree with Martin Luther on this one. Schadenfreude.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 24, 2020, 12:38:56 pm »

Watching TV news right now, there's a bit about the Spanish situation, showing people overflowing into the hallways of hospitals, passed out.

The latest news is that authorities in Spain found nursing home patients "abandoned", with some found dead in their beds. So the system is really collapsing, people dying in nursing homes, not tested, no quarantined apparently.
That newsbit is Spanish army raw propaganda just so that you know. In Madrid the system is fairly saturated, indeed. But the bit about the nursing homes? Here's something that newsbit wont tell you: the funerary service in Madrid IS indeed overwhelmed, and they requested the army (military emergency unit) to help with corpse clearing.
Now the fuckers are painting themselves as saving old gramps from nursing homes in which they were abandoned, when the truth is that they were not abandoned AT ALL: the workers were still there, working with what little protection they had, and they had been requesting body removal for days.

Likewise, last week they said they had captured a shipment of facemasks (insinuating they were being smuggled in for some black market op) when they were in fact offered freely by a factory in southern Spain.

Yes, the Spanish army brass are largely turds. I'm happy their presence in my homeland is fairly limited and unneeded.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 24, 2020, 12:41:40 pm »

I wonder if all this chaos will reignite the independence movements in Spain - they seem to have stalled out somewhat after not starting a civil war in the wake of the Catalonia vote, but I'm given to understand abuses by the army are no small matter for those movements.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: March 24, 2020, 02:11:34 pm »

India went full lockdown.
All it's 1.3 billion inhabitants are forbidden to leave their homes for the next 21 days.
This puts 1/6th of the world's population under lockdown.
How this is going to be enforced in the slums, where people have no suitable houses to stay inside of all day is unclear.

Washing hands or keeping distance is also impossible there, for lack of space and lack of running water. People will still need to go outside and queue for the communal water tap.
Officially, India has 519 infected and 10 dead. It is suspected that actual numbers are much higher.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 24, 2020, 02:53:09 pm »

That's not going into full lockdown, that's saying you'll go into full lockdown without much ability to actually enforce it on a good chunk of your population.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:15 pm »

That's not going into full lockdown, that's saying you'll go into full lockdown without much ability to actually enforce it on a good chunk of your population.
But then again, that's true of any lockdown.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 24, 2020, 03:11:41 pm »

So Spain has 12% of it's healthcare workers infected. Two things about this:
1: remember how the majority of covid19 cases are silent? That it might be 5-10 silent cases for each one you actually see, maybe even more?
Healthcare workers are very exposed and there is a worldwide lack of PPE.  Odds are they are ALL infected. A friend of mine who is from Madrid tells me many of her colleagues told her that they are presenting with loss of sense of smell (which is highly suspect of being one of the "underreported cases") and being refused the test.

- the public health asshat who's running the show claimed that all 3500 infectees caught it outside the hospital. So it's not an "occupational condition". Son of a bitch. I have no words. No words. This bastard has been lying nonstop since day one. I'm beating myself up for believing him when he said everything was under control in early march.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: March 24, 2020, 03:15:56 pm »

As a sidenote: I just read this and found it fascinating.  I'm rather morbid these days

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrophoresis

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 24, 2020, 03:59:37 pm »

https://twitter.com/punished_stu/status/1242478732167622659

It's hilarious to me that people thought they could trust the medical advice of a raving drug addict.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: March 24, 2020, 04:05:24 pm »

Did they seriously manage to weave this chloropquine thing out of nothing? I mean, it makes sense that a drug that treats a bacterial disease wouldn't have any realistic chance of also happening to treat a novel coronavirus.
No Gods, No Masters.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 24, 2020, 04:13:13 pm »

Did they seriously manage to weave this chloropquine thing out of nothing? I mean, it makes sense that a drug that treats a bacterial disease wouldn't have any realistic chance of also happening to treat a novel coronavirus.
From what I've heard, it has a side effect where cells shed fewer virons? Also that it was being considered in conjunction with anti-HIV retrovirals.

Edit: linky someone found - https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:16:33 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 459