Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 474554 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

So not only there were fascist anti-democratic protests all over the country, including in my own damn city, but the president broke his self-imposed quarantine to... shake hands, fist bump and take selfies (holding himself the phones of others) with his crazed fanbase.

Also this happened. Since it's in pt-br, here's the lowdown: the governor of the state of Goiás, who is both a bolsonazi and a medic, showed up in one of those protests. First he starts to compliment the ruling regime, for which he is cheered, but when he starts to talk about how the people in the protests are insanely stupid and ignorant of the rest of the world he gets booed.

Also people packed the beaches here in the state of Rio. The fashies I know are too dumb to know better, but WTF people.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reportedly, Trump tried to buy up CureVac, a German company with promising early results on developing a vaccin.

His goal: to make the vaccin exclusively available to Americans. For bigly profit.

I have no words. Evil of a deep dark that I have only seen in dystopic novels.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reportedly, Trump tried to buy up CureVac, a German company with promising early results on developing a vaccin.

His goal: to make the vaccin exclusively available to Americans. For bigly profit.

I have no words. Evil of a deep dark that I have only seen in dystopic novels.
And apparently it ended as Greenland 2.0 and he failed. 0 gain, further loss to reputation.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

So not only there were fascist anti-democratic protests all over the country, including in my own damn city, but the president broke his self-imposed quarantine to... shake hands, fist bump and take selfies (holding himself the phones of others) with his crazed fanbase.

Also this happened. Since it's in pt-br, here's the lowdown: the governor of the state of Goiás, who is both a bolsonazi and a medic, showed up in one of those protests. First he starts to compliment the ruling regime, for which he is cheered, but when he starts to talk about how the people in the protests are insanely stupid and ignorant of the rest of the world he gets booed.

Also people packed the beaches here in the state of Rio. The fashies I know are too dumb to know better, but WTF people.

It´s our own stupid that is doing us in. Shit, social distancing is shown to work. The Chinese did most of the hard work, we just had to follow the example, like Korea, Taiwan, HK did. This is all so big over something so stupidly avoidable.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This hour's coronavirus news update is sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends and Mike Bloomberg.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Huh, not sure what exactly I said beyond general bitching about how badly the US is fucking this up because by Thors hammer we are completely fucking this up.

How badly?

Well, apparently lots of people passing through bitchbaby's shitty resort have been infected... how many is a lot?

Nobody knows.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Dutch parliament will stop convening and has cancelled all planned debates.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Huh, not sure what exactly I said beyond general bitching about how badly the US is fucking this up because by Thors hammer we are completely fucking this up.

How badly?

Well, apparently lots of people passing through bitchbaby's shitty resort have been infected... how many is a lot?

Nobody knows.

On the bright side, the virus might kill off the bed bugs
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Update on retail situation
No toiler paper,
No hand sanitizer (we found a stash of 7 mid size bottles of hand sanitizer hidden between shelves while fixing a loose endcap.  No clue who put it there. It sold out within 3 minutes after putting on the shelf.)
No hand soap.
No alcohol, no aloe gel
No bottled water
No peanut butter. ?

Canned food basically ransacked still some left but choices are limited, snack foods also seem to be flying off the shelves.  General cleaning supplies also getting ransacked. literally 5 packages of paper towels left in store by closing tonight.

Employees who were handling cash were wearing gloves for part of the day.  Boss eventually told us to take them off because we're 'inciting panic'.  1 employee staying home self quarantining.  Boss is angry about it but apparently can't do anything about it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you are symptomatic and would like to be tested, and if you are near the San Francisco Bay Area or have the means to go there, you can be screened for the virus free of charge.

Start by going here if this is relevant to you: https://www.projectbaseline.com/study/covid-19/

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1000 on: March 16, 2020, 12:27:08 am »

Paper products pretty much obliterated at my store, but I saw them restocking paper. Canned goods similarly pretty wiped out. But the store is also currently reorganizing everything too. Frozen pizzas knocked about 70% out. Produce, dairy, all that stuff seemed ok.

I'm not "stocked" but I have enough various crap to last two or so weeks. Debating if I should really stock up though. If stocking doesn't rise from the current level it's at....things may start getting weird.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 16, 2020, 05:24:41 am »

It's been weird here. It's extremely rare that I have hand sanitizer in my stash, and this was no exception. As such, without that or disinfectant wipes, I haven't been able to keep a good barrier going (especially since I, like so many others, didn't think much over taking things particularly seriously until a few days ago). There's only so much washing my hands will do, when I can't exactly put stuff like my phone under the faucet and give it a good scrubbing (closest applicable thing I have to disinfectant is window cleaner, and... Yeah). So if I've come in contact with something that had covid-19 on it, I'm probably already infected.

And trying to buy new disinfectant/sanitizer now is... Not ideal.

I had to go grocery shopping today. I don't really have the storage or the wherewithall to have a stockpile of dry food, and my freezer is about the size of a car door pocket. I tend to live 2-3 days at a time. I've got food for another week now or so, but that's still only a week, and I still had to go to the store now in order to eat the next few days. If the grocery store even had sanitizer to begin with, I certainly couldn't find any now. But I'm close to needing a trip to the pharmacy soon, so... Provided I'm not showing any signs, I guess I can do that?

I think that's one of the worst parts, the concept that you could be sick and contagious for two weeks without so much as a tickle in your throat. There's a local Facebook group of uninfected people offering to run errands and help out folks in quarantine, but how can any of us really know if we're clean?

I'm not in any high-risk brackets; I'm not diabetic, I'm young, non-smoker, no outstanding (physical) health issues... Worst mark on my record is a history with pneumonia. I'm not scared of this thing killing me. But the idea that I could potentially be spreading this thing around to people who ARE at-risk, even through just contaminating some object in the environment and having someone touch it a couple days later, is horrifying. And death or no, getting heavily sick isn't exactly desirable most of the time.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 16, 2020, 05:38:18 am »

I'm a little worried for society. Lockdowns are going to be weird. I have supplies for 6 weeks but what's after that? How does supplies go in supermarkets during a lockdown? Who's going to buy from a supermarket? Are people going to deliver to homes? A lot of home delivery infrastructure is built around buying from a supermarket, so is it built for that?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 16, 2020, 05:50:07 am »

I'm a little worried for society. Lockdowns are going to be weird. I have supplies for 6 weeks but what's after that? How does supplies go in supermarkets during a lockdown? Who's going to buy from a supermarket? Are people going to deliver to homes? A lot of home delivery infrastructure is built around buying from a supermarket, so is it built for that?

You have supplies for six weeks? So that is why all the supermarket shelfs are empty. Please stop pillaging the stores people..

It is fairly obvious that people need to be able to buy groceries and goverments will take that into account. I can't tell what your local situation is, but where I live I think they will keep the supermarkets open, but I guess they may limit the amount of people that can enter at once, or have similar restrictions. Home deliveries could be an option too.
There are plenty of stocks in distrubution centres and warehouses. There is plenty of toiletpaper as this video shows. (In dutch, but yes, all that stuff is toiletpaper.)

https://twitter.com/dopsleutel13/status/1238546244173250560

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 16, 2020, 05:54:26 am »

Italy has uninterrupted supply to supermarkets, as far as deadly diseases go this is not so bad. Production and delivery of food will continue, there is no reason to expect collapse here.

It is not like it has ebola-level deadliness, many people will die but it is not plague level "half of population is dead, society collapses" level.

Also, why people think that it is a good idea to get into crowded store to get infected? Wait until we get proper distancing in stores. (many shops introduced or will introduce "no more than N people in shop at the same time, people in queue must be at least N meters apart")

You have supplies for six weeks? So that is why all the supermarket shelfs are empty. Please stop pillaging the stores people..
Do not attack people too soon. I have supplies for 6 weeks because 2 weeks ago I had for 8. Keeping rolling supply of things that I will use anyway - lentils, pasta, couscous, buckwheat, canned tomatoes, spices, butter, sugar, salt, frozen meat and frozen fruits etc is a good idea.

I am not buying now (1) to allow other to buy stuff (2) I wait for social distancing to become treated seriously.

People, keep rolling reserve of food. Next crisis may be not so mild (many are, but are far more localized and not global), keep minimal reserve of necessary things.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:06:27 am by mko »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 459