Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Grim Idols [Turn 1: Evil Pays]  (Read 12884 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Grim Idols [Turn 1: Evil Pays]
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:36:10 am »

It's official. The great colony of Heartbeat, entertainment capital of the entire system, has been destroyed by a giant eldritch abomination. Refugees are flooding into the other colonies, the populace cries out in boredom and despair, and the system's leaders have finally agreed that something must be done about the alien nightmares raining from the sky.

More importantly, you are officially ruined. Everything you had was invested in Heartbeat and its morally fluid entertainment venues. You're down to listing your valuable organs and grudges people would pay to enact against you on your asset reports.

Fortunately, these two problems can help solve one another. To battle this unprecedented menace, the colonies will need individuals of incredible talent, able to not only battle the forces of evil, but lift the spirits of the people and ideally pay for themselves in the process. The richest and most powerful settlements on the planet aren't made of money, you know! Which means they will also need people capable of identifying, nurturing, and directing these unstable divas under catastrophic circumstances whilst pursuing ulterior motives.

In short, the fate of the world depends upon idol managers such as yourself. With Heartbeat in ruins, both your kind and the clay you work with should be in ready supply; all you need to do is get your foot in the door before those debt collectors show up, and you'll be set.

...oh, and there's the whole gargantuan not-of-this-world alien horrors to worry about thing, but you're sure that'll be fine.

Spoiler: Management For Dummies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Species and Creeds (click to show/hide)

Code: (Signup Sheet) [Select]
Name: Pick a name, something that screams competence and trustworthiness
Species: Pick a species from the Species and Creeds spoiler, or invent your own
Creed: Pick 2 Creeds from the Species and Creeds spoiler
Specialties: Pick any 2 Specialties. Specialties can be virtually any simple concept and there is no master list to choose from. Recommendations:
-Genres (Romance, Rebellion, Happy) or qualities (Hotheaded, Alcoholism, Grace) if you want to deal with Idols and arrange Gigs like a normal Manager
-Phenomena (Electricity, Mind Control, Acid) or concepts (Biology, Liquids, Cybernetics) if you want to personally conduct research
-Materials (Steel, Cryoglass, Shock Coral) or equipment (Lasers, Melee Weapons, Jump Jets) if you want to personally build, repair, or refine things
Appearance: What you look like outside the promotional posters
Personality: What you're like on the inside
Backstory: How'd you end up losing it all when Heartbeat fell?
Looking for six players, waitlisters or observers might be able to vote on NPC actions.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:44:00 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:37:39 pm by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Idols [Recruiting!]
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 01:36:54 am »

Important Information
-None!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:14:29 am »

This is glorious.

Name: Stanly Starforger
Species: Star
Creed: Heroic/Decadent
Specialties: Guns/Cool (Quality)
Appearance: A tall Star with black hair, dark sunglasses, a goatee, a backwards baseball cap, and silver chains to show how humble he is. Has a shirt with three stars on it under a jacket.
Personality: "I'ma St-St-Star! Take this card an you'll be one too." Born to manage, Stanly takes every opportunity to promote his Idols and/or himself. He tends to spend downtime with his Idols, taking opportunities to network them at parties, funerals, and other fun social events. He is perfectly willing to take troubled cases, and generally prefers a Cool ascetic.
Backstory: Before managing idols, Stanly Starforger spent some time managing pro-wrestlers. It was the BIG DAY, the main event he so carefully raised and invested everything in was up on the stage introducing the big fight to be watched all over known space. But when his Wrestler offered to fight "ALL COMERS!", the giant eldritch abomination appeared as if right on que. Unable to break kayfabe, the wrestler was shipped off to have the big cage match against the abomination and hasn't been seen sense.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:27:03 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:26:11 am »

Spoiler: TheSheetOfRobots (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:48:30 am »

Name: Tim(Short for Timantha) Starfire
Species: Star/(Nemesis)
Creed: Passionate/Cold
Specialties: Star Fire; Friendship through Superior Firepower.
 Recommendations:
-Genres (Happiness Beat) or qualities (Calculating the best path for the future)
-Phenomena (Magic) or concepts (Friendship and Bonds) if you want to personally conduct research
-Materials (Gems, Circuitry, General Materials) or equipment (Magic-tech equipment) if you want to personally build, repair, or refine things
Appearance: Brown Hair in Twintails. Brown eyes smoldering with passion, or sharp and calculating at times before they go back to normal for her. Despite her age, she is very young looking, like an eternal idol.
Personality: Due to having grown up in an orphanage, she's mostly learned to calculate the best paths to happiness. To her, that was making use of her good looks to attract money and leading most of the others toward a comfortable lifestyle. She even managed to get an idol group up herself, starting small and growing over time. From there, she became a manager to let others take the spotlight.
She tends to have good compatibility with most people, knowing how to get people on her side. However, she tends to think of most people who aren't her friends as someone with a use, and only once she has beaten them does she laugh it off and help them out.
In other words, a person who's personality is broken in some way from her upbringing and unknown heritage. She takes her own pace towards happiness for everyone.
Backstory: Druing the millenial Festival, she had most of her people on Heartbeat with her for the Concerts. It was a big deal, but..
Well, most of her people have ended up scattered and dead, and a good deal of her cash is now gone from Heartbeat's destruction. She only has a few staff left with her. Despite this, she mostly has already decided to destroy what destroyed the happiness of others, and is currently focused on magi-tech and how to turn the bonds people share into power. She truely has embraced the mad scientist side of her unknown heritage. But she'll need new idols to succeed. Once finding out the government's plans, she jumped on, and is currently restarting her idol business in this turbulent time.

Quote: "One Step at a Time to Happiness and Security! Starlife Idols~" Yeah, that should do. Now to post these and get started on some new friends.

Despite all this, she really isn't the heroic sort, huh. My Pace describes her well.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:54:33 am »

Will make a full sheet later today when free time is obtained.
They’ll be Heroic/Cold with specialties Shields and Temporal Distortion; the plan is to focus on developing and producing equipment, particularly for defensive purposes.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 11:30:34 am »

Name: Quipzee Wit
Species: Lanternspawn
Creed: Heroic/Passionate
Specialties: Biology, Comedy
Appearance: Lanternspawn are black spheres of various sizes with six eyes. Lanternspawn start out at around the size of a spark, feeding off of whatever emotions happen to be nearby. Some of the largest lanternspawn might be the size of a cat. Each eye is a different color of the rainbow. They appear to float due to taking in air and propelling themselves where they need to go.  When they are on the ground, they spawn six legs perpendicular to their eyes. Their mouth is in the center of the eyes and cannot be seen unless it is open. The open mouth is in the shape of a hexagon, with each corner pointing to each eye. Lanternspawn can talk, however they don't have their own voices, so they mimic other voices to talk. The color of the inside of the mouth varies depending on which emotion it is eating. A lanternspawn at a bar might be feeding on joy, so the inside of its mouth would be yellow. Another lanternspawn in the same bar might be feeding on anger near a fight. Its mouth would be red. They can feed on the emotions of others creatures, though the first emotion they detect is the one they get the most energy from. As their name implies, they sometimes spawn from lanterns, usually around areas with high amounts of magic. The eyes can be next to any other in any order, whether it be red, green, orange, blue, yellow, then purple; or green, orange, purple, yellow, blue, then red: or any other combination. the eyes are always arranged in a hexagon. The eyes are also different in size depending on how much of each emotion the particular lanternspawn has eaten. Curiously this is convergent with Plutchik's emotion wheel.
Red for annoyance, anger, and rage
Orange for interest, anticipation and vigilance
Yellow for serenity, joy and ecstasy
Green for acceptance, trust, admiration, apprehension, fear, and terror
Blue for distraction, surprise, amazement, pensiveness, sadness, and grief
Purple for boredom, disgust and loathing.
Example, a lanternspawn that feeds mostly on fear will have a large green eye in comparison to its other eyes, while a lanternspawn that feeds mostly on happiness will have a larger yellow eye in comparison to its others.
Personality: Quipzee Wit likes to make people laugh. He also likes to help people whenever possible. Because of an incident detailed below, Quipzee Wit also hates Smokes and birds.
Backstory: Quipzee's first memory was laughter, being surrounded by creatures who were happy. The first voice he heard was that of Mr. Morris, a comedian, telling a joke about a piano. Using Mr. Morris's voice, Quipzee spoke for the first time, "What is a piano?" One of the audience members asked "Mr. Morris, how could you tell a joke about a piano when you don't know what one is?" This is how Quipzee learned the name of the voice he heard. Mr. Morris, confused, looks towards Quipzee and asked "What, you think you got quippy wit?" "Thanks for the name. I am Quipzee Wit. I got a new word piano. I eat what you call emotions" Quipzee Wit said as his blue eye grew due to the surprise of the people in the building. Quipzee lived in Mr. Morris's comedy building helping Mr. Morris with jokes in return for Mr. Morris teaching him about the world. Eventually Mr. Morris grew to trust Quipzee. They spent many years telling jokes to people until a particular group of Smokes entered the building. There were 3 of them. They appeared like what Mr. Morris called parrots, but with eight talons instead of 4. 4 talons on the front, 4 on the back. Their light grey eyes leaked a red liquid that Morris called blood, as did their bright green beaks. These Smokes tore everyone apart, except Mr. Wit, who managed to not be detected because these creatures seem to have not heard of his kind, so they didn't look above them. This incident was Quipzee Wit's first tastes of rage, fear, sadness, and grief. The rage was mostly from the Smokes, the fear, sadness and grief from the dying. By the time the Smokes left, Quipzee was the size of one of Morris's hands. This was the first time he felt emotions other than happiness and surprise. When the 3 blood parrots entered and started killing everyone, he felt sadness and grief at their losses, as well as rage at the birds
(Questions? Thoughts?)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 05:29:13 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 01:32:48 pm »

Posting a sheet
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 06:49:06 pm »

If the others don't post a sheet, take this, otherwise waitlist it:

Name: Anton Baracs
Species: Smoke
Creed: Grim/Depraved
Specialties: Hotheaded Quality, Biology
Appearance: Beetle-faced, scarred, always rolling cigarettes that smell like dung
Personality: Typical Smoke in many ways, though he was more creative and optimistic in his heyday. Now he's bitter from years of hard luck, grouchy and matter-of-fact. He doesn't flinch when idols throw furniture at him.
Backstory: Anton had a fleshcrafting studio on Heartbeat. There he had built up a prestigous fleshcrafting studio. A wealthy elite of celebrities and thrill-seekers sought his services, to recraft their forms (no matter how alien) into the latest trendy shapes. He gave people horns when horns were in, and even tried to make intestinal necklaces a thing for a while. All that ended when Heartbeat was lost. His studio, his tools, and most of his assistants, were swallowed up. Fleshcrafting is considered old hat in New Serenity, or perhaps the local elite are pulling strings against it (Anton has his Theories), after his latest attempt at recreating the studio flopped he's getting desperate. He does still know some celebrities, and the Idol business is looking big right now...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 09:07:52 pm »

Spoiler: Dariel Aegis (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dariel Aegis
Where I can assist, I will. Where I cannot, I will find those who can. And where there are none, I will make one.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:18:46 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 12:15:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 02:54:42 am »

Name: i-666
Species: Bird
Creed: Depraved/Cold
Specialties: Eldritch, Madness
Appearance: A raven with the paws, eyes, and teeth of a cat. Shifts slightly depending on the angle it's viewed from.
Personality: Not an abomination infiltrator.
Backstory: Just showed up.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 03:27:05 am »

Appearance: A raven with the paws, eyes, and teeth of a cat. Shifts slightly depending on the angle it's viewed from.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 04:52:49 am »

PTW
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12