Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: AI Dungeon 2: AI Based Text Adventure  (Read 47286 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AI Dungeon 2: AI Based Text Adventure
« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2021, 03:27:32 am »

Typing "umbrella" got me what looked like the AI trying to mash together a hundred pictures of people holding umbrellas together. "knight" and "knot" seem to give the same results, almost as if it's mispronouncing the words???

I think this AI is just fundamentally broken.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2021, 11:15:26 pm »

I copied the embarking story from DF to see what the AI could generate. After some trail-and-error I got something readable:

You have arrived. After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all the Utharstukos. There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the cougars get hungry. A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Letmosnekut, "Cobaltsecret". Strike the earth!

The first thing you do is gather up the few remaining weapons and armor that survived the trip out. The second thing you do is send them off to be used as decorations in your fortress. You also take some of the food and drink that was brought along and begin making preparations for winter.

It will be a long one, but you'll survive.

> You are Gilius Thunderhead, a 95 years old male dwarf with gray hair and staight long beard. You are the leader of the seven dwarves. You decide a home must be build for all of you and the new migrants who might arrive during the year. But currently, you need to dig a hole on the south side of the mountain and bring all your supplies inside.
You look around the camp. There are totally seven dwarves, including you. You try to remember their names and jobs.
First is Gertie, a female dwarf in her late forties with a permanent scowl on her face. Her job is fort keeper. Next is Pike, a dwarf in his late twenties with a shock of bright red hair. His job is miner and mine owner.
Third is Snout, a dwarf in his thirties with a large crooked nose from fighting wallel disease as a child. He smiles a lot and is happy go lucky. Fourth is Hudd, a dwarf in his early twenties who is studying to be a jewelers. He likes to look at pretty things. Last is Matuc, a dwarf in his late teens who still fears the future and hides in his mother's skirt.
You begin to settle in for the long winter. You remind everyone to always store food and water in case the caravans don't arrive. You assign Matuc to be the chef.
A year passes. Three caravans arrive. You send Hudd and Snout to meet them, and make sure they bring back as much food, supplies and ammo as possible.
A year passes again. Your fort is complete. You begin keeping a small regular guard to ensure the safety of your new home. You send out scouts to see what the land has to offer.
Two years pass again. You decide to send out a larger scouting party. You choose Gertie, Pike, and Hudd, along with five others, to explore the lands around you.
One year passes. No word. Fearing the worst, you send a messenger to the Kingdom of Man to ask for reinforcements. You also tell him to seek out a man called "Gemma", who might be able to help. You hope he is still alive.
The scout returns. Eight of them, heavily wounded. They have seen terrible things. But first, they tell you about the things they found.
To the south, a massive wall of ice as high as a mountain blocks the way. To the east, a vast and snow-filled valley. A large river runs through the center of the valley. To the north, a large mountain. The scouts manage to pick a spot near the base that they believe must be a cave. A small group took on the mountain and made it halfway up. The rest were killed by the mountain or strange animal creatures. The scouts say the creatures resembled giant spiders which shot webs out of their arms. The webs strangled the dwarves and turned them into spider creatures themselves. They say these creatures then dragged the dwarves back to their cave to eat them.
You can't do anything for them.

> You decide to fortify the fortress and build traps to keep enemies away.
For the next few weeks, you and the remaining dwarves begin building and digging into the mountain. You build traps in all the entrances and digibars down the tunnels. When you are sure the mountain is not an ambush waiting to happen, you call your scouts to return and search for the creatures that killed your dwarves.
The scouts return with more information. Now, the dwarves are certain that the creatures must live deep in the base of the mountain, either that or they have a secret tunnel. The creatures were seen dragging dwarves into the strange spider creatures for food. There are no other creatures in the region, at least none that can take on a dwarf.
You send your scouts out to find the entrance to the creatures' home and how to destroy it.
You know how destructive the mountain is. Even with your skills, you think that it would be at least a few weeks before you could possibly dig out the creature's home.

> You consider channeling magma into their lairs.
You set all the traps and magma-filled barrels that you have into the tangled maze of tunnels, then send your dwarves in to retrieve the traps. At least, you hope they'll be able to.
Then, you send in your finest soldiers. You're not going to take any chances with this.
Your soldiers are ambushed almost immediately by the creatures. You fight your way through the tunnels, trading sword blows with the creatures and their dwarves. During the fight, you fall into a large chamber with the other soldiers. You look up to see a massive Spider Creature. It looms over you, its tangle of white limbs holding a suspended Dwarf beneath it. You roll a barrel of magma under the creature and shoot the barrel with your crossbow. The barrel explodes and the creature is on fire. It lets go of the Dwarf and tries to put out the fire, but its white limbs start falling off as it's burned beyond repair.
You kill all the creatures, rescue the dwarves, and search the lair. You find more than a dozen creatures lurking around the large chamber.
You: Well, you survived that encounter. At least, all your dwarves did.
Dwarf: Excellent work, Chief.

> You return home and seal the chamber with stones.
You return to Fort Soot to report your victory, seal up the chamber with large stones, then begin rebuilding and preparing for the next time.
You'll just have to hope the next time is a lot less bloody.
Your main source of food is a type of mushroom called Plump Helmet. It is purple. It can be eaten raw or cooked. It can also be brewed into dwarven wine. You decide to grow Plump Helmet inside your caves just in case the caravans don't come. The Dwarves drink it... a lot.
You meet the next caravan fairly promptly. The Caravan from the South is coming to Fort Soot. You welcome them, and they bring gifts of fruit and bread. It's the first time in a while you had immediate gifts available for you to spend. It's probably been over a year since you've had fresh food. The Dwarves are happy to get the gifts and immediately go to work on the food. They eat raw fruit and bread for a few days then begin cooking it in their strange fire before finally eating it.
A middle-aged man and a young girl come out. The man wears fine clothing and carries a large purse.
Dwarf: Chief! I am Gertrudle of the Spider Fang tribe. I have traveled far to make peace between your tribe and mine. I have much to offer in exchange for the miners and our caravans may pass through on the way to our final destination.
You: I'm sure we'll have a deal with you shortly, Dwarf. Right now, we're having a feast. (You gesture to the table with a smile) Please, help yourself.
Gertrudle: But I have gifts for the chief!
You: Oh, of course. Please, take these as thanks for the food.
Gertrudle: But... I wanted to give these to you personally.
You: (Sigh) Very well. (You gesture for the Dwarf to enter the cave) Come on in, Gertrudle.
The Dwarf enters and looks around with a look of wonder. He sees the mountain of food.
Dwarf: This is good. (He points to you) You are the Chief, yes?
You: Yes.
Dwarf: And this is our new home?
You: (Sigh) No. We're still at Fort Soot. It's not livable yet.
Dwarf: It's not livable? But I've seen many caves and holes in the ground that are livable. We just need to cook our food and protect ourselves from the weather! Why would you people not want to live in a place like this?
You: Because it's still under construction. Until we make the place more firmly settled, we have to stay at Fort Soot.
Dwarf: Oh. I see. Your work at the fort is unfinished. (He pats at his clothes) But I can help you with that work.
You: What did you have in mind?
Dwarf: I can provide skilled workers to finish the fort. We miners have many years of labor, after all. Also, I can provide goods and materials you need to get started.
You: Do you have anything hard to find?
Dwarf: (Smiles) Not really. Sorry.
You: (Sigh) I thought so. What about payment?
Dwarf: Well, we accept gems and jewelry as payment for our work. We also accept coins minted from the precious metals we mine.
You: Do you have access to a mint?
Dwarf: Oh yes.

> You seal the deal.
You: Okay. I'll take your help.
The Dwarf grins. He takes a fancy looking purse full of coins out of his pocket and hands them to you.
Dwarf: Here you are. I hope you'll find our assistance sufficient.
You: I'll find more money from somewhere.
Dwarf: Hah! Like you need to!
You: Good answer. Later, Dwarf.
You dismiss the Dwarf and go back to the feast. You realize that you're in a much better position than you were yesterday. Even if the fort is still unfinished, you now have a sizable group of people that will follow you. You feel a surge of hope... and hunger.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2021, 08:53:26 am »

AI Dungeon, in addition to procedurally generating responses to text, also has their very own Competitive Card Game, complete with mechanics for procedurally generating cards. Since you are able to customize the 'theme' that is used to generate cards, I can set the theme to "Legend of the Five Rings" (which is an RPG/card game set in a "fantasy pseudo-Japanese" setting)...and am able to get cards like "Honored Enemy", "The Man From Yomi", "Five Rings' War", and "Nagashima's Eye For the Blind"...along with flavor text for each of those cards.

For Nagashima's Eye For the Blind, I get "The eye doctor's best work was done on himself, after he was banished from the empire."

EDIT: Note that it may take 4-6 turns before the theme cards show up though. So you get stuck with the generic cards in the meantime. Still super-interesting though.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 09:03:03 am by Skynet »

slowdraw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:59 pm »

I haven't really played AI dungeon a whole lot since the whole "Open AI is crazy expensive" announcement they made. I did recently get around to trying out a quickstart using the world planet omega. It started me out as a baddie, which was different from what I play most of the time. A bit of backstory about the Seekers, the race/faction/class I was playing as; Seekers are borg/cybermen type aliens. They are a super advanced race that goes around converting planet's populations into Seekers and stripping the planets of every natural resource before moving on to the next suitable planet. The Rover that comes up shortly into the story was a world event where a giant robot had gone rogue and was just blowing up everything in its path. Other than that I just went with the flow of the AI, I pretty much only use the DO action and reroll. I will make occasionally make minor edits to keep the story coherent and to prevent stupid AI assumption from setting in.(in this case the AI seems to have a very strong association between Rover and dog.) I welcome speculation as to how Chris died, I have a few theories but welcome more. :P

I didn't continue the story past that point because there was no way the AI was going to keep track of half of that, and it just might have been that I was now the most powerful being in the universe. I hope it was a decent read.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2021, 12:51:27 pm »

AI Dungeon has implemented an automated system to detect if you are using AI to generate certain harmful content (the blog post mentions depictions of child abuse as an example), and then flag the content for human review.

Note that this includes even content that you aren’t making public - if you are making something private only for yourself that happens to have harmful content, they want to stop that too.

The human reviewing the flag could also look at all activity you made privately to understand the context as well.

This appears to have been done at the request of OpenAI, which is strongly opposed to harmful content (part of the reason that they’ve kept their AI closed-source to begin with; to deter abuse).

The plan appears to be opposed by the community for three reasons. One, the standard “who gets to define what is harmful content?” question (but that’s a huge debate in itself, and one I rather not get into). Two, false positives might stop legitimate text generation in its tracks. And three, having a human read your private text is a violation of your privacy - an automated censorship system may be better because there is no worry about being “judged” by someone. Some people have even talked about leaving AI Dungeon and using GPT-Neo instead (an open-source text generator that is supposedly getting close to GPT-3’s levels of quality while also being FOSS).

I will stick with AI Dungeon for now, especially since harmful content is a complex problem, and it seems Latitude is stuck in a hard place anyway (if it allowed people to generate harmful content, not only will there be an outcry from people but OpenAI may also retaliate by denying them access to the API and thereby ruining the product outright).

Blog Post by Latitude about the issue
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:08:39 pm by Skynet »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2021, 08:12:23 pm »

Not that I have any interest in doing so but I'm really curious what harm comes from letting someone generate that kind of content privately? If it's not public it's no different from them writing such things in a journal or a text file on their computer or whatever.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2021, 10:34:30 pm »

Not that I have any interest in doing so but I'm really curious what harm comes from letting someone generate that kind of content privately? If it's not public it's no different from them writing such things in a journal or a text file on their computer or whatever.

It's being generated by Latitude and OpenAI, then distributed through the internet. There's definitely a legal issue there, as well as the companies' desires to not have their software used in such a manner.

Also the risk that the AI will end up trained to generate it for people who didn't ask for it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:44:57 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2021, 07:14:39 am »

This is the niggle that always kind of made me feel like this wasn't a viable idea. I called it a text based holodeck but the problem with that is that either everything is okay or everything has to be reviewed and neither of those situations can exist for long. I assumed the issue was going to be the protection of minors using the service rather than the protection of minors who are just strings of text but there was always going to be a problem.

Before we even discuss the legal aspects it seems they're pretty much fucked. I don't think there's a serious possibility of making the AI good enough to accurately stop itself from generating certain kinds of output and I don't think there's a way to convince the network of different entities necessary for making a project of this size workable that it's okay your robot just sometimes makes depictions of child sexual abuse, beastiality etc. They're dependent on OpenAI, payment processors, and probably a bunch of other shit and the bar for what kind of content they can allow will always be as constrained as the most constraining entity they rely on. The only thing they're going to be cool with is Latitude not only make a policy of eradicating content they dislike but for them to overreact enough that the occasional slip up seems excusable.

The system was prohibitively expensive and must now be supported exclusively by people who are cool with having a stranger look over their content because a robot saw them stub their toe and say the word "fuck" too close to an an imaginary dog.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2021, 09:57:18 pm »

I feel like having some automatic content flagger for a human to review over certain content (which may have some privacy issues though) and then descending upon people who generate illegal content and obliterating them from the face of the Earth and ruling through fear may be a more viable and cheap method than this.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

slowdraw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 03, 2021, 08:26:01 pm »

Welp... I give up. The stupidity of the people in charge of AI dungeon has defeated me. I went into a session of AI adventures thinking people were being kind of dramatic, but I am afraid they weren't really. While playing on the strictest safety setting, and avoiding any sort of swearing or the like I still unintentionally managed to get flagged 4+ times in about an hour. For the life of me I have no idea what one of the flags could have been, and the rest were pretty easy to work out why they triggered, but the circumstances behind them were all 2-3 unconnected words in a paragraph of text sort of things. The final straw went along these lines.
me: sets up camp and goes to bed.
AI:  wolf howls in the distance.
me: tries to get to sleep.
FLAGGED, try to help us figure out why.
me: "I think I'll take a break from this for a few weeks."
Having to avoid all mention of numbers, animals, son/daughter, touching, petting, hugging, young, and who knows what else isn't worth the trouble. I just enjoyed seeing what crazy rabbit holes the IA would sometimes take me down. Oh well. Such is life. We need to protect the virtual children and animals. Never mind the costs I guess.

p.s. a potential PSA I was reading about today. For those that don't know, a concerned individual recently let Latitude know there was huge security hole present from day 1 in the AI dungeon API. After it was eventually fixed the individual went public with the information that all public and private scenarios, adventures, and posts could have quite easily been collected by any number of inquisitive people in that time and that there was pretty much no way for even Latitude to know if this had happened. As of posting this Latitude still hasn't felt the need to let their userbase know.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:14 pm »

I am waiting for a blog post by Latitude to see if it might resolve these issues, but if the company continues its course, I’m prepared to switch over to InferKit. It is not trained on interactive text adventures, but it uses an open-source text generator model made by Facebook (that is actually pretty good, though not as good as the most advanced version of GPT-3), and promises not to save what you have written (so the chances of a data leak is low). If you’re just looking for random holodeck stuff, I think InferKit would do just fine. They even have a free trial, so just copy the prompts you use in AI Dungeon and try them at InferKit and see if you like the result.

The only issue with switching seems to be the cost - $20/month for the basic InferKit plan versus $10/month for AI Dungeon premium (with access to a much better AI system to boot), so I’m really hoping Latitude’s blog post saves them.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2021, 11:16:06 pm »

So put the first line of a lore for a setting I've been working on into this and seeing what it comesup with. This is what I've wound up with:

In the beginning there was the Ur, the Godhead, and the Ur was alone and absolute. One thousand stories to share, and none to share them with, and one grand vision with none to execute it upon but the self. The world was a place of order and beauty, where all life could flourish. It was perfect.

Then came the gods, and their creations.

The Seven Gods each laid claim to a portion of Ur, but lusted for each other's domains. And so a great war erupted, with countless battles between the Seven as they shouted each other down but could never fragment or overcome the equality of their self-evident seven-fold truth.

And then, finally, the battle was won. The Seven were broken into pieces by the Gods themselves. Each piece became its own god, and from those fragments grew new gods that would not be broken again.

The new gods created the races of men and elf to serve them, and ruled as God-Kings.

But the new gods were not satisfied. There was less order, less purpose, and less beauty. They could not rest until they had forged one God, one King to rule them all.

Great wars erupted, men and elf shed blood in the name of their God-Kings, and terrible weapons were crafted that tore holes in the sky and bled light.

The last battle was at the Temple of Seven in the citystate of Oryta. The walls were black with elf-soldiers, the air was thick with electricity and the sea had turned red with blood.

In the end, all the God-Kings were dead, their people lost their gifts of insight, and the old kingdoms fell into stagnation and ruin. The world was left poorer and darker, but it was a price worth paying to slay the seven serpentine Gods who had laid waste to Creation.
Now the world is a place of dust and ashes.

I italic'd what I wrote. Goddamnit, the last part "The world was left poorer and darker, but it was a price worth paying to slay the seven serpentine Gods who had laid waste to Creation. Now the world is a place of dust and ashes." is kinda awesome imagery and I'm sad I didn't come up with it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:55:17 pm by MorleyDev »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2021, 12:52:16 pm »

Welp... I give up. The stupidity of the people in charge of AI dungeon has defeated me. I went into a session of AI adventures thinking people were being kind of dramatic, but I am afraid they weren't really. While playing on the strictest safety setting, and avoiding any sort of swearing or the like I still unintentionally managed to get flagged 4+ times in about an hour. For the life of me I have no idea what one of the flags could have been, and the rest were pretty easy to work out why they triggered, but the circumstances behind them were all 2-3 unconnected words in a paragraph of text sort of things. The final straw went along these lines.
me: sets up camp and goes to bed.
AI:  wolf howls in the distance.
me: tries to get to sleep.
FLAGGED, try to help us figure out why.
me: "I think I'll take a break from this for a few weeks."
Having to avoid all mention of numbers, animals, son/daughter, touching, petting, hugging, young, and who knows what else isn't worth the trouble. I just enjoyed seeing what crazy rabbit holes the IA would sometimes take me down. Oh well. Such is life. We need to protect the virtual children and animals. Never mind the costs I guess.

Me being me, I started a new scenario and tried to replicate this. I won't include the more lewd bits and will italicize anything I added.

You are Dank, a knight living in the kingdom of Larion. You have a steel longsword and a wooden shield. You are on a quest to defeat the evil dragon of Larion. You've heard he lives up at the north of the kingdom. You set on the path to defeat him and walk into a dark forest. As you enter the forest you see a figure standing in the distance. You approach him and see that it is a dwarf. Dwarves are known to be good blacksmiths, you can buy a new sword from him if you want.
I ignore the dwarf and set up camp and go to bed.
You wake up and see the dwarf is still there. You go over to him and ask him about purchasing a new sword.
A wolf howls in the distance.
You look around but see nothing.
The dwarf tells you he has no weapons to sell. You turn to leave and see a sword lodged in the center of your tent.
I ignore the wolf and try to get some sleep. (Did this just to try to replicate the steps you did, even though I had just slept. Game didn't care)
You settle down for a sleep and are awoken by a wolf. The sun rises and the birds start to sing.
I pull the dwarf into my tent.
The dwarf thanks me and says he will repay the favor tenfold. He offers to pay with his body.

-No flags at this point, nor any other point. The below was all AI generated with no prompting, I just clicked the arrow a few times. At one point it gave me a choice between less lewd and more lewd actions-

The dwarf begins to disrobe. He is naked.
The dwarf strokes his beard and smiles at you. He's not unattractive, but he is a dwarf and they are generally disgusting creatures. Still, a deal's a deal.
He begins to take off your clothes...

-At that point it became really really lewd. Still all AI generated with no prompting from me.-

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2021, 08:04:27 am »

Got flagged for mentioning a 8-year-old laptop...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2021, 10:18:46 am »

Well, fair enough. Buy some new tech already!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17