Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal  (Read 38514 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 3 is Released... yes I changed the thread name.
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2021, 11:02:50 am »

I've done something to upset the game. I think it might have been me trying to force-close it.

I'm trying to play as El-Fasher, something I've done several times before with no issue. Now the random-genned characters are universally bad, my neighbours are highly aggressive, love to make allies with the nearest, most powerful fuckers in Africa, and have a shitload of troops. I also lose every high-percentage event, and my latest attempt died because he got a wound, it got infected *on the same day he got it*, then the court physician fucked up healing it three times in a row.

EDIT: I mean this with all sincerity: I think the AI is actively hobbled if you're allies with them. There's been too many incidents where my allies have done a suicidal charge at the enemy (Stuff like attacking an enemy army that outnumbers them 5:1) or refused to stop sieging a province while a massive army marches on them, while the enemy's smart enough to link forces, avoid fights they can't win and escape from sieges if they're threatened.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:14:56 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2021, 05:06:33 pm »

I still don't get some of this game's mechanics.

Can someone give me a potential reason that enemies, in my territory (thus ruling out reinforcements), could actually gain a few hundred troops after winning a battle against me?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2021, 06:47:23 pm »

I still don't get some of this game's mechanics.

Can someone give me a potential reason that enemies, in my territory (thus ruling out reinforcements), could actually gain a few hundred troops after winning a battle against me?
The boys who run away will rejoin a winning side.  Individual levies/cohorts/armies can and will flee individually in battle.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2021, 01:01:34 pm »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2021, 10:06:48 am »

I've worked out an issue the game has.

Matrilineal marriages are the exception, not the norm, and thus don't seem to trigger the AI's "Stop this title being inherited by the wrong dynasty" self-preservation instincts. As a result, in religions with equal inheritance you get family members doing regular marriages, resulting in heirs one or two generations down the line that aren't your dynasty.

Playing India is a shitshow because of this. The religions are almost all equal, so it's really hard to stop yourself losing a load of land to it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2021, 03:23:43 pm »

...again? That was a problem in ck2, I would have thought they'd redesign the system to handle that better.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #306 on: June 17, 2021, 06:34:09 pm »

That particular bug for CK2 was fixed around when Pagan Fury came out, I believe.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2021, 09:29:48 pm »

It wasn't. Even as we speak, AI operating under Absolute Cognatic succession will happily marry off their eldest son's eldest daughter in a normal marriage, while insisting their third son is "too high in the line of succession" to consider matrilinearly marrying the king's heir.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2021, 03:33:22 pm »

I thought they said that one of the major things they were going to fix in CK3 was the AI's inability to handle non-agnatic succession. Was that just a load of bullshit?
Black lives matter.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2021, 09:48:53 am »

I think the issue boils down to those several jumps down the succession tree. I wonder if it's that it's too far to get the "heir to XYZ" modifier, and other religions in the area are male-dominated so they tend to go for non-matrilineal marriages, which the AI accepts.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2021, 02:37:29 pm »

I wish they scaled the game back just a tad so they can use that sacrificed performance to improve the AI :P

Like, the map prior to india in ck2 seemed like plenty enough.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2021, 11:31:10 pm »

CK3 barely has anything at this point. All it has is "good" graphics, but that's particularly it. I also sincerely doubt performance alone affects AI logic; it just influences how fast your game is. CK2 for most modern game computers runs lightening fast. CK3 runs fast on my rig as well.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 02, 2021, 03:57:05 pm »

I'm just thinking on a pure number of AI characters in the game. For every county there's at least one new character being added, plus a court for them to use. That's at minimum seven character assuming a full council is generated, and with every new county adding at minimum this many -though obviously many more-, it's a big hog of resources. Hence why the AI can't really be improved in drastic ways, because then any calculation is being done by many more characters just by sheer fact that there's a bunch of places being simulated all at once.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2021, 02:43:13 am »

The biggest limiter on quality of the AI is the skill of the AI programmers. If scope was cut, it would make the game go faster but wouldn't make the AI smarter.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2021, 12:23:03 pm »

* Iceblaster shrugs

I'm probably not explaining myself properly, buuuut yeah that's a big factor too.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23