Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal  (Read 38451 times)

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal
« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2022, 07:13:40 pm »

Well, Kou Shibusawa's library is still going on today. They released another RoTK last year, and that's just off the top of my head. RoTK 14 was an absolute blessing by the way.

Koei's grand strategy may not be as known in the west as Paradox's ...? Quality wise it is comparable.

I agree that Paradox's audience has grow accustomed to the abuse, and of course the invisible hand is going to milk the whales, but with google and steam being things, accepting that a mid-sized company is going to decide the terms of the market and there's nothing we can do, appears very odd to me.

My own game will be somewhat adjacent to Paradox, it is fantasy and much more character focused and with lots of magic but also a much more interesting political sim. So it doesn't directly compete with any of their current titles.

Grey Eminence will also theoretically be launching sometime in 2023, and that is a more direct Vicky3/EU4 combo competitor. We'll see if titles like Alliance of the Sacred Suns take off. Star Dynasties already bombed. Stellar Monarch is okay, as far as space empire games with actual characters go, but it doesn't seem like it will ever be a major player.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 16, 2022, 07:48:29 pm »

Well, Kou Shibusawa's library is still going on today. They released another RoTK last year, and that's just off the top of my head. RoTK 14 was an absolute blessing by the way.

Koei's grand strategy may not be as known in the west as Paradox's ...? Quality wise it is comparable.

I agree that Paradox's audience has grow accustomed to the abuse, and of course the invisible hand is going to milk the whales, but with google and steam being things, accepting that a mid-sized company is going to decide the terms of the market and there's nothing we can do, appears very odd to me.

My own game will be somewhat adjacent to Paradox, it is fantasy and much more character focused and with lots of magic but also a much more interesting political sim. So it doesn't directly compete with any of their current titles.

Grey Eminence will also theoretically be launching sometime in 2023, and that is a more direct Vicky3/EU4 combo competitor. We'll see if titles like Alliance of the Sacred Suns take off. Star Dynasties already bombed. Stellar Monarch is okay, as far as space empire games with actual characters go, but it doesn't seem like it will ever be a major player.
Stellar Monarch and AotSS are good examples of new games that aren't just remakes/ripoffs of other games that are closer to my sweet spot, for sure, so it isn't a total dead zone.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 16, 2022, 08:10:09 pm »

Stellar Monarch and AotSS are good examples of new games that aren't just remakes/ripoffs of other games that are closer to my sweet spot, for sure, so it isn't a total dead zone.

FoG:E tried to do something but as a Slitherine game it just didn't take off. Terra Invicta is vaguely Paradoxian until you get to space, we'll see how it goes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2022, 07:44:51 am »

God, Paradox makes me so sad. Like, honestly, sad in my soul sad. I hold them so close to my heart. It was literally some of my first, maybe second or third computer game that I got as a kid, was Svea Rike, a turnbased grand-strategy-ish history simulator ofentered around Sweden's history, made by Paradox before they were Paradox. So I've literally been playing Paradox games since before Paradox existed.

Sigh.
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2024, 04:17:30 pm »

Resurrecting the thread in aid of a new DLC. Roads to Power is now out, and it adds the thing people have been asking for for a long time: Landless adventurers.

Kind of fun, running around being your own independent mercenary that don't need no land. You can fill contracts, build up your camp, move around to find new contracts, do a lot of the usual lord stuff without the limit of being stuck where you are (So yes, you can fuck your way from Iceland to Myanmar), and eventually settle if you so choose.

A "character of the week" has been added too, a bit like the CKII one on the run up to CKIII's release, just without the promise of extra stuff for achieving goals.
Obviously more than just that, there's also an administrative government type that the Byzantines (who can now be renamed to better reflect your views on what they should be called) make use of, but the adventurers have been the only thing I've used so far.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2024, 04:19:01 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]