Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34

Author Topic: *We need your help with game ending stress*  (Read 106650 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *We need your help with game ending stress*
« Reply #330 on: May 20, 2020, 03:37:29 am »

It can be noted that DF does not display stress levels. You suddenly get a red arrow and constant meetings instead. You need third party tools to see stress levels (but it would be very useful if that was visible in vanilla).

I have a dfhack plugin, not sure which one, that adds a labor tool to the user menu, accessed via 'l' that gives stress levels.  You can even sort by them.  And obviously Dwarf Therapist does this by default.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2020, 03:49:18 am »

It can be noted that DF does not display stress levels. You suddenly get a red arrow and constant meetings instead. You need third party tools to see stress levels (but it would be very useful if that was visible in vanilla).

I have a dfhack plugin, not sure which one, that adds a labor tool to the user menu, accessed via 'l' that gives stress levels.  You can even sort by them.  And obviously Dwarf Therapist does this by default.

"Dwarf manipulator" is the name of that one.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2020, 08:07:13 am »

Imho DF needs more immersive way of doing that. E.g. a complaint board that gets visited by dwarves and displays that regions hottest problems or a new position that manages most important topics (either if a lot of dwarves say the same or few are very angry about).

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2020, 10:45:02 am »

Imho DF needs more immersive way of doing that. E.g. a complaint board that gets visited by dwarves and displays that regions hottest problems or a new position that manages most important topics (either if a lot of dwarves say the same or few are very angry about).

This would be really great. Having a UI version of dwarf therapist would be one thing, but actually having it become part of the immersion would be much better. It would be interesting to even have a new noble position and skill for "therapist/consoler" or something. They would need an office and would periodically have meetings with stressed dwarves. The meetings could help console the dwarves, (and might even make some of them more upset... leading to more !!FUN!!).
In the 'z' screen there could then be a tab for "Stress" (much like "health") where you could see an evaluation from that chief therapist.

That's a lot, but with some effort the stress "bug" could be turned into a gameplay mechanic.
Imagine it, a tombstone that has a scrolling LCD marquee of your best fortresses.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2020, 12:49:01 pm »

This would be really great. Having a UI version of dwarf therapist would be one thing, but actually having it become part of the immersion would be much better. It would be interesting to even have a new noble position and skill for "therapist/consoler" or something. They would need an office and would periodically have meetings with stressed dwarves. The meetings could help console the dwarves, (and might even make some of them more upset... leading to more !!FUN!!).
In the 'z' screen there could then be a tab for "Stress" (much like "health") where you could see an evaluation from that chief therapist.
:
The role exists since a fair while. Yelling at/crying at the expedition leader/mayor... 0.47 introduced thos role (in parallel) for priests as well. A complaints summary doesn't exist, though, but most stress cases are not about fortress features, although it would still be useful if such general complaints (lack of tables/clean water/...) were highlighted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 20, 2020, 07:54:11 pm »

The stress 0.0.0 joyous embark, I am on, as a cure all, hopefully, to the rage the stress mechanics is giving me, is playing out well. Ive had to do some dfhack liquids cheating, tho. 2yrs away from DF in RL has made me rusty at well building, really rusty.

On the topic of the unmod df showing a stress scale, can anyone please explain the blinking names in 'u' menu of dorfs. Some blink and some dont, Ive always wondered why the game does that. Those blinkers trying to draw my attn to them?

Im for toning back the stress turning into corruption features. Justice gets stressed too, not fair to lay on so heavy a load on the caltain of the guard. He is a very busy dorf, in a mid to late cascade, if he lives. Game completely ignores domestic disturbanecs and goes straight for vandal, destruction, and murder.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2020, 12:12:38 am »

Blinking names mean they're legendary (level 15+) in a skill. It could be any skill, including something lame like crutch walking.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2020, 02:52:50 am »

Kaijyuu, thank you. I guess that feature could be enhanced some, I mean the blink, to show Legendary is as designed, as you state, but maybe include another colorblind/flash epileptic indicator in here and a legend for me, and other senile players, for us to prepare and find a dropping stressed out ant.

Since rain is such a factor, maybe put close to freak guys, or soon to freak out dorfs, in that underwater blue typeface. Just a thought. Perfect for my current problem, that idea is. Alcohol poisoning, like stress, just shows up with fatal consequences, like in RL.

Players deserve some msg or alert when dorf is getting close to dying of a preventable addiction. Somethings, that one, mirrored from reality are just not FUN. Although I imagine there are some players that wanna build virtual crappers, and fill um. A virtual toilet paper industry, may just improve papermaking. Of course my dwarfs dont wipe, they quaff to disenfect things down below. Oh this post has taken an odd turn. But Im not sure an all nature potash production work shop would improve fortress play.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2020, 07:35:54 am »

If you don't assign poisoners to your taverns the taverns won't have anyone to force booze down the throats of their patrons, and it should reduce the number of fatal non lethal bar room brawls as well. The down side to that is that a staffed tavern is the only way to get gobbos, vampires, and necros to drink booze and get the benefits of that.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2020, 03:28:45 am »

If you don't assign poisoners to your taverns the taverns won't have anyone to force booze down the throats of their patrons, and it should reduce the number of fatal non lethal bar room brawls as well. The down side to that is that a staffed tavern is the only way to get gobbos, vampires, and necros to drink booze and get the benefits of that.

Just to add to this for knutor and newer players reading through, it seems many players do not realize that entertainers assigned to taverns also serve drinks. A tavernkeeper and 3 entertainers, for instance, is a lot of drink serving.
Team Bug Fix!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2020, 01:47:57 am »

I usually don't assign these.  I've never really had trouble with dwarves being able to hold their liquor but it isn't very helpful when your tavern keeper poisons some human diplomat.

LoneIgadzra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2020, 06:37:36 pm »

What makes humans interesting is that we are often terrible at meeting our needs, and fall back on all kinds of destructive behavior. We can also learn and grow. It might be more endearing if a Dwarf was failing to meet their social needs because they had terrible social skills, rather than (apparently) random happenstance (maybe this is already the case?). It would be pretty awesome if they could fall into a depression either come out the other side stronger (realizing they need to change) or despair (as they mostly seem to do currently).

I don't know if that helps un-break the game though.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 24, 2020, 12:43:52 am »

Married dorfs, should require socialize 0.5x as much as romancing dorfs, and romancing dorfs should socialize 0.5x as much as single dorfs. Then apply the attributes(romance, lust, etc..) to the result.

/gui family-affairs, really is a good dfHack for fleshing out unupdated relationships in migrants, and nonmigrants with a dead hubby. This static relationship function may or maynot be causing long term stress. Missing family, etc.

Ive noticed marriages, do not occur in temples, also. Socialize! is drastically realistic in some aspects, but horribly unrealistic in others. A noble should preside over the wed, and get to exercise his hairy beast with one or both on the honeymoon. The release of spores should produce much stress reduction in all involved.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46:55 am »

This may be a bit of an unpopular idea, what about bringing back on break and parties for stressed dwarves that end up with no job for a period of time.

Parties for social dwarves with antisocial dwarves simply getting a better bonus over being able to go on break and admire furniture. Something to compensate for not being likely to go to a party, or if they do end up going a chance to enjoy it with a bigger bonus and a positive personality change

Could also have it so a civ alert or high priority job can break someone out of the party coupled with a minor negative thought (frustrated at leaving party early) or a positive one for antisocial ones (relieved to be able to get away from a party)
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #344 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:13 pm »

I find the stress level indicator of DFHack extremely useful it makes you anticipate mental troubles long time ahead. I have a three year old fort and while my militia commander seemed to be doing well the first years, he recently became extremely stressed and started throwing tantrums, despite eating and sleeping greatly, and putting on great clothing. I called him the fortress's crybaby until I read his thoughts more carefully: he has changed attitude towards war: He personally believes that the idea of war is utterly repellent and would have peace at all costs (due to a new romance in 125) ... He dreams of creating a great work of art..

I let him focus on crafting stuff and picked another militia commander. His stress level has been dropping (raw DFHack value raising) significantly ever since.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34