Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34

Author Topic: *We need your help with game ending stress*  (Read 106631 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: *We need your help with game ending stress*
« Reply #315 on: May 10, 2020, 06:05:02 am »

Lotsa stuff, in DF lose its luster, with this stress settings off. Very little of it worth doing. Anotherwords. Payoffs are just not there. Stress mechanic makes the game look like an idiot made it. We know thats not the case. However, thats a big elephant's ass to look around, but here goes.

Why must I lose a well honed, well armored, well intoxicated dorf to hold a victoriously battled neighbor who is not helping me economically one iota, especially with manpower? This messenger is just kinda dumb. That satisfy the one dwarf who likes to travel? He didnt return. Now the el, "l" menu has ghost dorfs. Couple absent npcs in there, giving me the willies. I lost a good guy for well, shit on a shingle, not like hes taking a ship, and this is a pirate sim. No bootie, mate. I spent 2yrs dressing that captain!

Gimme all the recipes, already. The dorfs trade with longshanks and treehuggers.

Tell me whats going on with my prisoners in gossip, 1st off, rest of it is flavor txt. I wanna rescue um.

Gimme a feeder option, like workstations for my 12 catapults. Tired of dumb AI choosing to throw good stone away to practice me aim. Stockpile should link to siege engines. If for no other reason to toss full animal cages.

Do not wear down furniture and metal gear. That sucked frog juice, when I saw I had to rebuild from scratch. Hell, we'll just quit, and embark again. Not a lasting, or good change, that was.

The OPs example could never happen in real life. Without digging straight to magma, and thoroughly researching the military menu. Just not seeing that example for a new player. Sorry. Did someone buy out bay12, this version is bad, like corp weasels made it the design changes. Harks of WB buying Turbine. Or Quicksilver giving the goldmine to Atari, and the shaft to its playerbase. The crappy 5x scifi sandbox liars, MOO3 was only 4x.

I digress, but the real Toadie would never have released a product with conflicting keybinds. Anyone who has played more than 100 embarks has um engraved on their gray matter.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 10, 2020, 09:20:55 pm »

maybe calm down a little and rehash your thoughts? I had trouble parsing through that rather confusing text.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 10, 2020, 09:44:54 pm »

maybe calm down a little and rehash your thoughts? I had trouble parsing through that rather confusing text.
It says "stress is an issue".

(And also they're playing someone's mod with conflicting keybinds for some reason).

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 11, 2020, 12:40:24 am »

What part twiddled your parser?

Made sense to me. But I'm showing senile behavior, sometimes, age of youth, passed me by. I apologize. They asked for opinions, in this one, poured it on. Usually I hold the troll in deep inside.

The keybind is not from a modded game. My rage at it, was misplaced. I am sorry, for ghe record. Had an older version file. See it on Mantis. Shonai even fixed it there, too. Congrats, I will name a dwarf in your honor, in my next embark. What nickname does thee wish, to be named?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 11, 2020, 03:32:46 am »

What part twiddled your parser?

Made sense to me. But I'm showing senile behavior, sometimes, age of youth, passed me by. I apologize. They asked for opinions, in this one, poured it on. Usually I hold the troll in deep inside.

The keybind is not from a modded game. My rage at it, was misplaced. I am sorry, for ghe record. Had an older version file. See it on Mantis. Shonai even fixed it there, too. Congrats, I will name a dwarf in your honor, in my next embark. What nickname does thee wish, to be named?
@knutor: I too, have significant problems interpreting what you mean (in other threads as well), as you make liberal use of some slang I'm unfamiliar with (and some which I do recognize), together with jumbled typing and farfetched analogies. It may also be worth remembering that a lot of people on the forum are not native English speakers, and so may struggle even with normal text.

boogiemanspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2020, 06:51:03 am »

This is the kind of problem we want solved: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171185.msg7839740#msg7839740

We really don't want “a cancer of red arrows”

Maybe such a thing as a dwarf psychiatrist lol. I don't know how it would work, but maybe similar to a manager or something. Of course this would have to be properly dwarfy. Maybe when they can talk to the barkeep and telling their problems would relieve some stress, or a close family member, a diety etc. They need some kind of way to process and deal with their problems, be it in a healthy or unhealthy way. I know there are ways to deal with it and give happy thoughts, but there needs to be a mechanism to heal too.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2020, 07:41:26 am »

This is the kind of problem we want solved: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171185.msg7839740#msg7839740

We really don't want “a cancer of red arrows”

Maybe such a thing as a dwarf psychiatrist lol. I don't know how it would work, but maybe similar to a manager or something. Of course this would have to be properly dwarfy. Maybe when they can talk to the barkeep and telling their problems would relieve some stress, or a close family member, a diety etc. They need some kind of way to process and deal with their problems, be it in a healthy or unhealthy way. I know there are ways to deal with it and give happy thoughts, but there needs to be a mechanism to heal too.
That mechanism already exists: crying/yelling at a person in charge/priest. It needs to be toned down in frequency (currently every second action), but the mechanism is there.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2020, 03:12:07 pm »

Here again. It is impossible for the scenario given by the OP to occur. Threetoe the OP states

I have a fort that is 3 years old and has every possible stress reliever.  Plenty of taverns with every type of alcohol.  Three different taverns and temples.  New clothes.  All sorts of trinkets and trash for them to acquire.  Lavish meals.  You get the picture.

No, I do NOT get the picture. It takes me 5yrs just to establish a well in one of the 3 caverns. Three priests by yr3? Everytype of booze, even mead? This does not sound like an experienced player speaking. Whether the mechanism exists or not, is irrelevant, no 3yr old squad is leaving the fortress to win against 3 goblin invasions. That example and previous fellas mechanism just does not exist robustly enough, when the official claims of it ecisting should. This incompetence is game balance breaking. Coupla broken games and the randomness of history in the fixed worldgen spline, stop being attractive. What patch did bay12 make adamantine and unattacked furniture wearout?  This is crucial as its a horrible change.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2020, 04:18:53 pm »

You've probably not read the whole thread. Threetoe admitted early on that "every type of alcohol" wasn't correct. I don't remember if it was all the underground ones (all 3 of them), or if it included a small number of surface ones as well. Threetoe has also admitted that a starting fortress is far too short a time to draw any long term inferences from (also elsewhere in this thread).

A tavern and a couple of temples (no mention of priests) by year 3? Perfectly possible. I struggle with clothes due to an insatiable demand for bags, but if you skip the bags clothing is not a big problem as long as you don't demand masterwork quality, nor is trinket production, if that means some stone/bone ones, possibly with wood thrown in.

Nice accomodation for everyone is at that time gets trickier, in particular if the fortress has unlimited monster migration waves, but that means a lot of dwarf power for trinket and meal production (although lavish meals were crippled from a usefulness perspective with the introduction of the needs system).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2020, 05:10:13 pm »

I thought Threetoe intended that post to be more of an example as to the sort of information about your own fort that would help most.  Not literally what you should be striving for. 

I had a dwarf who liked battle axes, and was a little stressed.  So I had him craft battle axes.  His stress reduced, but not as much as another dwarf, also crafting battle axes.  I initially thought the preference for battle axes would have a big impact on reducing stress by crafting them, but other factors, unknown to me, appear to have a stronger effect.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 15, 2020, 05:12:22 pm »

Here again. It is impossible for the scenario given by the OP to occur. Threetoe the OP states...
Wow, someone completely missed the point of this thread.
Op said how can I experience the uncontrollable stress people are getting, with an example of a fortress in which he didn't have much yet (quickly established as being because it's only 3 years old). 22 pages of invaluable discussion followed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:14:49 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2020, 12:55:24 am »

If OP is refering to the benefit I get in Architecture skill improving by year 3 of rebuilding my Still and Kitchen, 8 times over, from the 6-10 bitter beards, that are now stronger than my last 2 dead sheriffs, I get his point. Why I'll have the best looking and designed well, for suicidal dorfs to jump into, this side of Hillock heaven.

After 2 murdered sheriffs, there is no coming back to a stable goblin invasion thwarting fortress, you do realize that? But he failed to type that which is so often happening to players. Instead he glorified a product, with a delusional example. Newbies are just not familiar enough with simplifying game mechanics as Threetoe, Shonai, and whoever else(me too)sneaks peaks into the raws.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:01:17 am by knutor »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2020, 03:56:11 am »

If OP is refering to the benefit I get in Architecture skill improving by year 3 of rebuilding my Still and Kitchen, 8 times over, from the 6-10 bitter beards, that are now stronger than my last 2 dead sheriffs, I get his point. Why I'll have the best looking and designed well, for suicidal dorfs to jump into, this side of Hillock heaven.

After 2 murdered sheriffs, there is no coming back to a stable goblin invasion thwarting fortress, you do realize that? But he failed to type that which is so often happening to players. Instead he glorified a product, with a delusional example. Newbies are just not familiar enough with simplifying game mechanics as Threetoe, Shonai, and whoever else(me too)sneaks peaks into the raws.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Threetoe s asking what's causing game quitting dwarf stress. Nothing more, nothing less. He gave an example of a 3-year fort with little stress, I and many others also could post many 3-year forts with little stress. He wants to know how to get from there to a crushing forest of red arrows so he can fix the game.

Not sure what's so hard to understand.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2020, 05:51:26 pm »

I have a 3 year old fort and this is what I have been doing.

It's a volcano embark, so there's lots of obsidian.  I have given every dwarf at least a 3x3 room, dug into some valuable material, smoothed and engraved, with a bed, weapon rack and chest, items made of at least bismuth bronze quality metal, unless they have a preference.  I dig down to the room in the center tile so all the walls are unbroken with no doors, although some of them have precious metal hatch covers on top.  My favorite place to put these is directly next to the volcano so that some of the walls are obsidian, and where possible, there are at least a couple gemstones, metal ore like hematite, or other valuable substance.

Also, the magma-adjacent walls are "warm detailed obsidian."  I'm pretty sure it has no measurable in-game effect but I like the idea of the rooms being toasty warm from natural heat.

I have rapidly fulfilled requests for temples and guildhalls, and put instruments and drink stockpiles in them.  I have also made all the guildhalls open to all long term residents and citizens, and put a workshop related to the profession in the hall itself, or even a small farm in the farmer's guildhall.

I have built a legendary dining hall that routinely causes good thoughts.  Similarly I have built a well and a meeting hall around it, the well of only the finest components (one of my favorite artifacts to get are artifact-grade buckets, chains, etc. that can be used in wells).

I have also made a large indoor "outdoor" farm for a large variety of crops and buy every single plant that comes in a caravan, for 20+ different kinds of booze, and routinely change up the crops that can fill a 15x15 area.  So there's a good chance of any dorf getting high quality booze when they want it or satisfying a preference.

So far almost everyone's stress is below zero, often in the -10000 to -20000 range.  The only dorfs with positive stress were generally involved in some traumatic event, like the catastrophe I caused while digging the outdoor farm because I am too dumb to figure out safe channeling apparently, and the occasional encounter with some inordinately tough cave critter.  Voracious cave crawlers have been a bit of a pain.  Even the "stressed" dwarves are below 1000 although if they continue ticking upward I may have to intervene.

I haven't even done anything fancy like mist machines yet, although I think getting soap production up (other than what I already have for the hospital) is a good next step.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 20, 2020, 03:01:37 am »

It can be noted that DF does not display stress levels. You suddenly get a red arrow and constant meetings instead. You need third party tools to see stress levels (but it would be very useful if that was visible in vanilla).
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34