Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: The History of a Tribe: Year 3 Summer (Turn 38): Glory, Controversy, Death  (Read 31234 times)

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 1 Spring (Turn 10)
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2019, 05:34:41 am »

Lets tie multiple light sticks along a really long rope to make a strand of lights like a set of Christmas lights, and lower one end of the rope while holding onto the other end,tie off the top end to something secure but also maintain a good grip on the rope as we lower it. We should have at least three other strong people helping us when we do this.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2019, 05:43:39 am »

Lets tie multiple light sticks along a really long rope to make a strand of lights like a set of Christmas lights, and lower one end of the rope while holding onto the other end,tie off the top end to something secure but also maintain a good grip on the rope as we lower it. We should have at least three other strong people helping us when we do this.

+1 That's a better idea that mine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2019, 09:01:18 am »

We did promise a feast with the turn of the season, is it that automatic or do we have to remember to make it so?

+1

For small-spear research: You know what makes a thwip sort of sound? A vine if you whip it about in your hand really fast! Maybe if we had a small fiber holder at the end of a thicker vine or stick it would release the payload spear really fast?

((i.e. a sling, and yes slings don't exactly work with arrows but our character doesn't know that; the principle does work fairly well for larger spears similar to the size that I believe our tribe currently uses))

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2019, 10:08:56 am »

We should do the feast before commencing operation Christmas lights.

When we were traveling in the woods we must have surely encountered saplings and other springy plant matter that make a swish/thwip noise when bent and then released, they should work for a spear thrower (bow & arrow) like those used by the forest people.

For weapon research, we should take a long stick and gradually shave the ends down while testing the pliability/springiness.Once it is in a shape that allows it to bend evenly on both ends we should tie one of our strongest strings to each end of the stick in order to transfer the elastic energy from the limbs of the bow into the small spears that we will make latter.

All of that should be done after operation Christmas lights and the feast.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2019, 11:28:20 am »

I feel like making an atlatl would be more suited to our current tech and style.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2019, 12:43:32 pm »

We did promise a feast with the turn of the season, is it that automatic or do we have to remember to make it so?

+1

For small-spear research: You know what makes a thwip sort of sound? A vine if you whip it about in your hand really fast! Maybe if we had a small fiber holder at the end of a thicker vine or stick it would release the payload spear really fast?

((i.e. a sling, and yes slings don't exactly work with arrows but our character doesn't know that; the principle does work fairly well for larger spears similar to the size that I believe our tribe currently uses))
+1
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2019, 12:54:06 pm »

+1

+1
+1

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2019, 01:15:20 pm »

The problem with spear throwers is that you need more space to use them effectively, you need to step into it during the launch and you cannot use them while crouching. A bow on the other hand can be used in a relatively confined area, you can shoot them through arrow loops or other kinds of fortifications and you don't need to step into the shot to provide the initial energy. Bows and arrows also are much more energy efficient than a spear thrower.

tldr: spear throwers are only really useful in flat open areas, and we happen to live in a cave on the side of a mountain.

edit: said run instead of step, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 01:47:30 pm by 1freeman »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2019, 01:55:42 pm »

The problem with spear throwers is that you need more space to use them effectively, you need to step into it during the launch and you cannot use them while crouching. A bow on the other hand can be used in a relatively confined area, you can shoot them through arrow loops or other kinds of fortifications and you don't need to step into the shot to provide the initial energy. Bows and arrows also are much more energy efficient than a spear thrower.

tldr: spear throwers are only really useful in flat open areas, and we happen to live in a cave on the side of a mountain.

edit: said run instead of step, sorry.

Well, yes.

You are correct. My idea for atlatls was not based on the idea that they would be more useful, but that they would be much more plausible to develop as a society that already has spears and has no idea what a bow is other than a "thwip" sound. The whole idea of trimming branches and stringing it with fibers is a bit meta-gaming imo.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2019, 02:34:52 pm »

If our observations of the natural world and the arrows stuck in our tribes people have not been sufficient to give us the clues needed to try to create a bow and arrow, we should perform some experiments with sticks to learn/notice that they are bendy and return to their original shape once released.

I would rather take some extra time to wind up with a versatile weapon system than rush to build a weapon that is effectively useless in the environments that we have been in so far (forest with thick vegetation and mountain/caves with a great variations in elevation, I don't believe that slings or spear throwers can be fired at targets below or above the shooter like a bow can).

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2019, 03:29:49 pm »

Hey 1freeman? Your first action was trying to discover clay so we could make pottery, despite having no knowledge of these things or a reason to perform those action. Later on, you said we should make a bow based on what we knew about the *thwip* and what we remember of the small-spears. You are now trying to say that we know the exact process for making a bow based on the *thwip* noise made by bendy saplings. You have continuously spoken of what is most effective when considering OOC knowledge instead of considering what our character will logically do. Now you are saying that we should perform some experiments with sticks specifically so that we can discover how a stick is bendy, expecting this will give your character the knowledge required specifically to make a bow. You have also claimed that we got a good look at the arrows in our tribespeople, despite me specifically writing that you were forced to retreat back to the cave very hurriedly. You have continuously argued for what is best over what is logical to your character. Most of your actions are reasonable, but I am genuinely distrustful of you because every one of your explanations has had some clear root in the realm of OOC, despite me clearly stating in the intro post that perspective is an important part of this game.

Stop trying to force through the 'good' actions over all else. I specifically stated that this will not be a fun game if you are simply able to steamroll through everything because I let you suddenly discover new technologies, it'll just be a shitty power fantasy. Let me make myself clear: I will not stand down from that stance, and I will actively ignore all actions that are purely explained by our OOC knowledge - regardless of some poor attempt at using deductive reasoning that doesn't make sense.

I understand that you probably just want to enjoy the game like everyone else and I'm sorry to call you out like this, but please stop meta-gaming. That's against the whole point of the game.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2019, 03:48:16 pm »

The blue rocks push on whatever knocks against them, yes? Perhaps they could push a spear, or something equally deadly. If we could lash together a tube to hold a blue rock (Blue Stone? Blone?) at the bottom of and dropped a stick or a rock into it, perhaps it would get launched out.

Of course, such a thing would probably be absurdly dangerous to attempt, but it's an interesting though.

Avanti!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 1 Spring (Turn 11)
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2019, 05:50:06 am »

(2)The spring feast takes course over the first few moons after the changing of the spirits, with entertainment of all kinds from seeing who can throw a rock the farthest to who can eat the most plant foods in the smallest amount of time. Still, many of these festivities were part of the first feast, and many believe this one to be of a lesser quality compared to the first. Two major factors affecting this are probably the inability to go out on a proper hunt due to the unknown people in the forest and the fact that this is the second feast and is essentially a copy of the first one. These are issues will surely be solved with time and experience however, and you're confident that you will be able to make the next one better.
(6)One of the first things you get your people working on is the matter of how to move the small-spears large distances in a short amount of time, presumable with the assistance of a new creation. This turns out to be a tricky matter since you only have a *thwip* to go off to begin with, but a number of people quickly figure out a few basic designs with which you can base your experiments off of. The first design is based on the *thwip*-ish noise a vine makes when swung around really quickly, and is relatively simplistic. A vine proved difficult to use in the construction of something handmade, so you began with some thumb-thick fibres and managed to make a rope-like length of fibre that makes a good *thwip* sound when suddenly swung in one direction. A small-spear was then tied into the end of this length of fibre, creating a long rope with a pointy end. While this certainly has potential for other uses and it does technically fulfil the requirements you gave your people to work with, you consign it to a potential future project.

From there, improvements were made to this original design and another one made. The improved rope-spear was given a shorter length of rope to work with, but a series of knots were created at the end of the rope to allow a small-spear to fit into it snugly. The rope-spear would be flung backwards and then forwards in a sudden sweeping motion, sending the small-spear flying out at it's target. This proved less than effective however, as the small-spears had a tendency to fly massively off target and pretty much everything but it's tip hit the enemy in most experiments. It was also quite difficult to make for how bad it was, so this experiment did nothing but rule out a potential spear-thrower.

Still using the basic design of a length of rope with something at the end, one person decided to go for a much simpler route. Instead of having a series of complicated knots, he and his friends experimented with different lengths of rope connected with a series of simple knots at the halfway point and ending with simple knots at each end to stop the rope from unravelling. They found that this design was able to, with a not inconsiderable amount of practice, fling small-spears at objects at high speeds. They also stayed aiming roughly at their target most of the time, and it was discovered that thickening or thinning the series of simple knots at the halfway point allowed for objects of various different sized to be flung as well. Rocks, sticks, quite a few different things could be flung from this design. Most impressive was the rock-thrower version, which was capable of throwing rocks at such a speed they could shatter animal bones and sticks gathered into a rough imitation of an antler-beast. While a better design was soon designed for small-spears you think that these rock-throwers certainly have much potential use since no work is required to make rocks and the design is just two lengths of fibre and a series of simple knots.

The last noteworthy design constructed before you decided that you were properly satisfied was constructed partially by Ealrad, alongside a number of other members of the tribe that did most of the physical work. While playing with some fibres Ealrad figured out that the closest thing to the original *thwip* noise was made when the centre of a piece of fibre was pulled back and released while being held still by two other points. Though you wonder how he performed a task technically requiring three hands, you can not deny that his following design was certainly quite good. By tying three sticks together with fibre in a Y shape and creating another length of fibre connected to the ends of the shorter sticks, he created what is now being called a Thwipper after what he called it during his excited outburst upon finishing the design and bringing it to you. By placing a small-spear in the top of the Y and pulling the point-less end of it against the length of fibre, it is possible to fling a small-spear with enough accuracy and strength that it generally causes a lot of damage against it's target. Upon the creation of this design you end the experiments, stating that they have succeeded in creating the object you desired.
(?VS?)Oooh, you remember what you wanted the ropes for! You wanted to explore the hole! Now everything makes sense.

(2)Hmmm, now how to get the light-sticks to not burn the ropes when lowering them down. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe you should try to create a sort of wooden stake that can be pressed into the vines coming out of the hole with the light at the point-less end? You feel like tying hot light to plant ropes and lowering them down a plant-filled hole would be a recipe for disaster.

(1)One day, the ground begins to shake lightly and you hear a loud, thunderous noise in the distance. When you look outside nothing seems to of changed, but you have a feeling that something very important just happened very far away.

What are you going to do? There are no issues of immediate importance, but you're really aching to explore something for once. It has been 2 full turns of the moon since you began the small-spear experiments.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2019, 06:17:24 am »

Lets climb up the mountain some and see if we can see where the noise came from.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2019, 07:21:24 am »

Lets climb up the mountain some and see if we can see where the noise came from.
+1 I've been wondering what our mountain top is like.
Take a Thwipper for field testing. Maybe we'll notice some aspects that could use refining.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22