Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be the most powerful weapon-grade elven material?

Just wood with some tweak (blessed, runed, poisoned, etc)
- 0 (0%)
A special bone-made metal-like material
- 0 (0%)
Fancy glass
- 0 (0%)
A special native elven metal
- 0 (0%)
Standard vanilla metal, obtained in some magical/alchemical/hippie way
- 0 (0%)
Rough gems
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 30, 2019, 02:06:51 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: [WIP] Elven Forest - !!RESTARTED!!  (Read 22920 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Elven Forest - Please share ideas and opinions
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2019, 10:03:33 am »

Are elves carnivores? I find them making tea odd. I would assume they follow some kind of green pact (like from Elder Scrolls) since they get mad at any harm to plants. If they did eat/consume plants I would assume it to only be fruits and vegetables that naturally fall off, not things that have to be cut like leaves.

I would change the name of Stonecutter's Shop

I dont think elves should have different caste names and should all be "elves"

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2019, 11:28:34 am »

A spear made of amber should be called an amberlance  8)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2019, 12:13:17 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:30:54 pm by Toady One »

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2019, 03:21:07 pm »

I really like the idea of amber and it reminds me of styx:master of shadows. You can look up concept art or a letsplay from that game for inspiration. In that game it's a magical potion that takes a large industrialized/alchemical effort to be produced and both humans and elves want to produce it by exploiting the land with no regard for the natural world around them. It fuels your magical abilities and is addictive (I'm going off memory here it's been a while since I played).

Thinking of amber as a potion, and of the druid aesthetic in general also gives me vibes of asterix and obelix and their characteristic potions.

I already made some potions that uses amber powder, through there's the limitation of amber being only obtainable from Amber Trees (a good tree).
Maybe I could add something like an Amber Bush (with a better name, I hope), that gives a small amount of amber but can grow in any biome, so the amber isn't limited just for good areas.

In terms of amber making amberglass weapons, it sounds really fun. Though it would be nice to have alternate uses for this material other than making things. For example, amber could be used in the making of a beverage that when drunk gives a temporary syndrome of a slight +10% speed. I wouldn't make it give you amazing combat properties for a short while though (like asterix and obelix) because it would encourage hoarding the amber for a future siege that might never come and thus you end up never using it. Or perhaps the elves need amber-infused drinks to get through the working day (basically just relabelling alcohol to amber)

Dependency on a syndrome, like the dwarves needing inebriation to be happy, isn't moddable. Beyond that, I would like to give amber some more uses related with alchemy and magic.

One pitfall that I'd reccomend not falling into is making the amber industry a major source of easy high value traded goods. If you end up adding cool interesting things to do with amber, but instead I could also just turn it into cut gems and trade it, I'll just forego all the other options to turn it into cut gems. Elves should instead trade caged animals (like in vanilla). This also feeds into the theme of dis-incentivizing slaughtering of animals.

Elves dislike commerce. While their civ can send caravans to other races, their forests live in an autarky so no caravans will never come (and they can't even build a Trade Depot).

Lastly, make sure the main reason for slaughtering animals is lessened. In my case, I slaughter them for leather armor before I set up my metalworks, so being able to create 'amber hardened plant fiber' or something that can be turned into any item that leather can be used for, will be a boon.

Killing animals should low your druidic score, so your elves will be unable to use drudic magic (ergo, they will be unable to recruit animal people from the wilds or turning treant saplings into actual treants or train animals in a special way).

I'm concerned about wooden objects only being able to be made during the spring. Certain plants do grow during the winter, you know? Maybe this can be alleviated by adding in different types of wood? One of the fun things of DF is that you can make any object out of any metal, but certain metals (silver) are better for certain objects (hammers). So maybe in the fall you could plant a different type of wooden finished good seed that becomes a material with different properties? Like a different density? Different grow speed and base value?

I was thiking in something like this:
  • If you grow items on Spring: Quality is affected by the Druid skill of the worker. Higher is better.
  • If you grow items on Summer: Quality will always be the basic.
  • If you grow items on Autumn: Basic quality, and even tattered items can be produced.
  • If you grow items on Winter: The reaction will be canceled.

I could change the script to produce items with different properties every season (higher density in summer for good hammers/clubs, light and sharp items in spring for great swords and arrows, etc), but I prefered to use the wood from the local trees populations so it's more fitting with the worldgen elves that grows items from various different trees.

Lastly, is it possible to change the average personality traits for races? Like make them more likely to value Nature? This would make them receive unhappy thoughts when butchering which seems to be one of the goals.
see: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Personality_trait#Beliefs

What about increasing the chance that they like (multiple) random animal over a random metal?
see: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Preferences

First, yes. But the love for nature isn't a personality trait, it's a cultural value. Elves are the ones that most values nature (they hold nature to be of greater value than most aspects of civilization), but every individual elf has his/her own beliefs and some of them could even hate nature and feel happiness seeing an animal dying or a tree falling.

Second, no. Preferences aren't moddable.

Are elves carnivores? I find them making tea odd. I would assume they follow some kind of green pact (like from Elder Scrolls) since they get mad at any harm to plants. If they did eat/consume plants I would assume it to only be fruits and vegetables that naturally fall off, not things that have to be cut like leaves.

I would change the name of Stonecutter's Shop

I dont think elves should have different caste names and should all be "elves"

Elves are cannibals that would prefer to eat a living dwarven child rather than an apple. But they also use fruits and leaves from plants/trees, since you don't need to kill a plant to extract its growths. Their ethics are against the destruction of plants, not against the usage of their byproducts.

Yeah, I was thinking in naming it Stone Works (or Stoneworks). It's more graceful.

Since nobody answered my last Quick Question, I'll let the elves to use peat as fuel.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2019, 03:28:57 pm »

Dependency on a syndrome, like the dwarves needing inebriation to be happy, isn't moddable.
yes it is. Same for preferences, at least with dfhack.

I'm on mobile, will explain later.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2019, 03:39:20 pm »

Dependency on a syndrome, like the dwarves needing inebriation to be happy, isn't moddable.

Oh well, I didn't know that.

Thanks for your attention Meph.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2019, 04:17:04 pm »

Oh well, I didn't know that.

Thanks for your attention Meph.

Rather than making them alcoholics like dwarves you could require them to commune with nature or some kind of religious activity.

If you are going to make amber give withdrawals I would just add it right to the syndrome (good instant benefits/bad long term effects that can be somewhat lessened by taking more)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:19:26 pm by brolol.404 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2019, 04:19:56 pm »

Preferences can be adjusted with dfhack:

pref-adjust
A two-stage script: pref-adjust clear removes preferences from all dwarves, and pref-adjust inserts an ‘ideal’ set which is easy to satisfy:

Feb Idashzefon likes wild strawberries for their vivid red color,
fisher berries for their round shape, prickle berries for their
precise thorns, plump helmets for their rounded tops, prepared meals,
plants, drinks, doors, thrones, tables and beds. When possible, she
prefers to consume wild strawberries, fisher berries, prickle
berries, plump helmets, strawberry wine, fisher berry wine, prickle
berry wine, and dwarven wine.
prefchange
Sets preferences for mooding to include a weapon type, equipment type, and material. If you also wish to trigger a mood, see strangemood.

Valid options:

show:   show preferences of all units
c:   clear preferences of selected unit
all:   clear preferences of all units
axp:   likes axes, breastplates, and steel
has:   likes hammers, mail shirts, and steel
swb:   likes short swords, high boots, and steel
spb:   likes spears, high boots, and steel
mas:   likes maces, shields, and steel
xbh:   likes crossbows, helms, and steel
pig:   likes picks, gauntlets, and steel
log:   likes long swords, gauntlets, and steel
dap:   likes daggers, greaves, and steel
Feel free to adjust the values as you see fit, change the has steel to platinum, change the axp axes to great axes, whatnot.

Together with modtools reaction-trigger you can make it target a worker. For example an Elf meditating in a statue garden or something like that; or a custom display case that lets elves "admire" a specific item, getting a preference for it.

I'm sure the script can be altered a bit to allow more precise, elf-specific use.

The syndrome dependency can be done with self-targetted interactions. Just have the elves target themselves with a free interaction that has the negative effect and CANNOT_HAVE_SYN_CLASS:AMBER, then make the amber drink with SYN_CLASS:AMBER. If elves consume it, they are immune to the negative effect of their interaction. It's a bit of a face-down ass-up roundabout way to do it, but works. The alternative would be just to give amber a positive syndrome. Instead of punishing players for not making amber; you could reward them for using it.

I'd be interested in seeing how you want to control the quality of grown objects or the xX tattered Xx state. Purely making everything with create-item instead of reaction products?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »

Been watching the thread, too busy with other things to really comment or make a suggestion but it looks good. I have some time finally put aside to try and reply to some points that interested me.

Yes and no.
I wanted to write something like that years ago, to allow the mutation of insects into giant insect warbeasts etc, proved a bit tricky with vermin.

Like larg_snail said, vermin have their own that has to work in conjunction with cage traps as the containers (and thankfully has gender arguements in it too). Throw a custom giant animal CV and it should work out fine. Giant milkable purring cave maggots, ew.

Quote from: largesnail
Plant-based traps? I think it could be done using special plants and a reaction to trigger the attack (something like a song of the spellsinger to start a fire in any Sunfire Bush on the map).
Though I don't actually know how an AoE attack would work, but I hope that it isn't something impossible to do.

Plant inspired immobile creatures could be aptly fitting, if Meph could offer some pointers and some inspiration be took from his own gargoyle set from the warlock masterwork mod. I have no idea if it would be possible for a plant (or any creature) to fire a masterwork gnome cage trap projectile, if that even works in more recent iterations of the game. Sounds very plants vs zombies like for necromancer sieges.

Quick Question 4: Should elves use Peat as fuel, or they must use some alchemy-related version of vegetable oil?

I made Elves farm pods (with the benefit of being seasonal) that were converted into mineral fuel in my own set of modifications, but vegtable oil sounds strangely compelling since peat isn't always reliably nearby though getting the barrels for it could be annoying.

First, yes. But the love for nature isn't a personality trait, it's a cultural value. Elves are the ones that most values nature (they hold nature to be of greater value than most aspects of civilization), but every individual elf has his/her own beliefs and some of them could even hate nature and feel happiness seeing an animal dying or a tree falling.

Second, no. Preferences aren't moddable.

Elves can be convinced later in life about their positional stance, because elves are hardwired culturally does not mean that a legendary persuader/writer/wordsmith cannot sway them with spoken or written arguement into completely rebuking their views, whispering in the ear of the monarch (in their immortality) might convince the elf nation to hold a dogged anti-nature dogma.

Its a entertaining thing to do when you edit your adventurer's own stats with dfhack. I have no idea if you can GM edit books in any particular depth, its something ill try sometime.

I'd be interested in seeing how you want to control the quality of grown objects or the xX tattered Xx state. Purely making everything with create-item instead of reaction products?

Pseudo or hidden metal (like a wafer with the consistency of wood) could also suffice, i did play around with the idea briefly of industrial plywood/fiberwood like materials to be used by elves but couldn't find a good fit out of existing real world examples without the added effort of justifying my own lore-appropriate version. Which of course would allow them to take their new not wood material and strengthened variants out with them into the world and sieges. (a inverse of Naga from the masterwork mod's 'coral' wood)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:05:57 pm by FantasticDorf »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2019, 09:14:15 am »

The other potential thought I have (and again I don't know if this is even possible) would be to have 'grown' constructions. Instead of growing wood logs in the spring or whenever, and then using one to construct a wall/stairs/whatever, have some other method where you use a seed or whatever and the construction grows in place.

But like I said, I don't even know if that's doable. And even if it were, it leaves you with problems. Would elves be 'allowed' to deconstruct a grown construction, for example.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2019, 09:40:37 am »

The other potential thought I have (and again I don't know if this is even possible) would be to have 'grown' constructions. Instead of growing wood logs in the spring or whenever, and then using one to construct a wall/stairs/whatever, have some other method where you use a seed or whatever and the construction grows in place.

But like I said, I don't even know if that's doable. And even if it were, it leaves you with problems. Would elves be 'allowed' to deconstruct a grown construction, for example.

This would be cool and no they shouldn't be allowed to deconstruct lol let it grow wild

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2019, 02:36:30 pm »

(I've removed a post and sent out a warning.  Hopefully the spirit of harmony and good cheer will prevail as matters proceed.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2019, 12:03:47 am »

(I've removed a post and sent out a warning.  Hopefully the spirit of harmony and good cheer will prevail as matters proceed.)

Thank you for your work, Mr. Adams.

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 11:42:35 am »

I'm back fellas. Sorry for the unexpected hiatus, I was extremely busy these last days.

Rather than making them alcoholics like dwarves you could require them to commune with nature or some kind of religious activity.

If you are going to make amber give withdrawals I would just add it right to the syndrome (good instant benefits/bad long term effects that can be somewhat lessened by taking more)

I would like to give special spells to those elves that are ardent or faithful worshippers of the forces of nature, but also the dependency on drinking some amber-based drink to maintain both mental stability and powers.

The syndrome dependency can be done with self-targetted interactions. Just have the elves target themselves with a free interaction that has the negative effect and CANNOT_HAVE_SYN_CLASS:AMBER, then make the amber drink with SYN_CLASS:AMBER. If elves consume it, they are immune to the negative effect of their interaction. It's a bit of a face-down ass-up roundabout way to do it, but works. The alternative would be just to give amber a positive syndrome. Instead of punishing players for not making amber; you could reward them for using it.

That looks relatively easy to do.
Just a syndrome dependency for elven magicians looks fine to me. That will make magic less cheaty.

Yes. Well, I didn't made the script to add that feature yet, but the only way I see to control those aspects of the products in a reaction is using create-item and changing the quality/adding wear to the produced stuff.

Plant inspired immobile creatures could be aptly fitting, if Meph could offer some pointers and some inspiration be took from his own gargoyle set from the warlock masterwork mod. I have no idea if it would be possible for a plant (or any creature) to fire a masterwork gnome cage trap projectile, if that even works in more recent iterations of the game. Sounds very plants vs zombies like for necromancer sieges.

I was thinking in using actual plants to trigger some stuff (like spawning a fire burst or a poisonous gas near every <plant_name> when triggered), but plant-like creatures would be easier to add since I don't actually know how to get the position of a plant in the map.

Quick Question 4: Should elves use Peat as fuel, or they must use some alchemy-related version of vegetable oil?

I made Elves farm pods (with the benefit of being seasonal) that were converted into mineral fuel in my own set of modifications, but vegtable oil sounds strangely compelling since peat isn't always reliably nearby though getting the barrels for it could be annoying.

I'm adding both. Since not every embark will have access to magma, the peat will be the infinite fuel source of the elves. The new reactions I added for pottery and glassmaking now are divided into two categories, for those that uses dry peat blocks as fuel and those that uses refined vegetable oil vials.

This would be cool and no they shouldn't be allowed to deconstruct lol let it grow wild

That doesn't look possible. But maybe there's a workaround to add something similar.
Multilevel workshops are doable?

Thanks Toady :D (for that and for all your work).

Quick Question 5: Aren't wooden swords weird? Should elves have new weapons?

With luck, I'll finish the first release of this mod in October. With luck.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 09:19:42 pm »

Quick Question 5: Aren't wooden swords weird? Should elves have new weapons?

Maybe something like the Mesoamerican macuahuitl. It could use chips of amber instead of obsidian for the blade. (Although are weapons ever actually made of more than one material in Dwarf Fortress)

There are also a lot of different Mauri wooden weapons to consider, mostly different kinds of clubs like the patu, wahaika, mere, kotiate, taiaha, etc. Some of these (mere, tip of taiaha) also use greenstone. Some can be made of bone instead of wood, etc.

That said, I don't know how good they would be in DF's engine, because aren't weapon stats basically derived from the material?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:24:28 pm by Rekov »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8