Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be the most powerful weapon-grade elven material?

Just wood with some tweak (blessed, runed, poisoned, etc)
- 0 (0%)
A special bone-made metal-like material
- 0 (0%)
Fancy glass
- 0 (0%)
A special native elven metal
- 0 (0%)
Standard vanilla metal, obtained in some magical/alchemical/hippie way
- 0 (0%)
Rough gems
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 30, 2019, 02:06:51 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: [WIP] Elven Forest - !!RESTARTED!!  (Read 22875 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Elven Forest - Please share ideas and opinions
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2019, 10:04:13 pm »

This mod looks really neat so far, decent elf mods are sorely lacking in the DF community IMO. Can't wait to play it. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2019, 02:09:52 am »

Quick Question 5: Aren't wooden swords weird? Should elves have new weapons?

Weird maybe. I wouldn't want to get hit by one though.

That said, I don't know how good they would be in DF's engine, because aren't weapon stats basically derived from the material?

They are derived from the materials, but if you have the patience, there are some options (size, contact area, penetration depth) to fine tune their perfomace.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2019, 07:41:37 am »

There are ways around the general shittiness of non-metal weapons, but they're always going to be a bit... wonky.

Personal favourite method is just to pump up the strike velocity, but then metal variants become wildly overpowered.
It might be possible to adjust velocity based on material using DFHack, but I don't know how.

Heard that native copper was cold-worked back in prehistory. I'd say that justifies elves using it for weapons, even without having mining or smelting enabled. But that's a matter of taste.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 03:33:24 am by kiwiphoenix »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2019, 04:28:23 am »

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2019, 05:05:32 am »

Well, nevermind, then. Thanks for the info!

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2019, 02:00:10 pm »

I'm not sure about adding macuahuitls and other mesoamerican weapons to the elves.
Maybe I'll add a poll for that.

There's some content I already added:

Spoiler: New Content (click to show/hide)

I'm trying to figure how to develop the druidic system. Persistent tables can't handle numbers.
I was thinking in adding a creature (a Forest Avatar or something like that), and control the druidic score with its age; killing animals cause aging in the avatar, and when it reaches 100 years old, you'll be unable to use drudic magic anymore. I'm not even sure if it's a good workaround, but it's the only way I find right now to add a fort-level druidic score.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2019, 04:12:56 pm »

They can't store numbers but you can just store the number as a strong using the tostring() and tonumber() functions

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2019, 08:39:57 pm »

They can't store numbers but you can just store the number as a strong using the tostring() and tonumber() functions

I added the following as part of my script:
Code: [Select]
local persistTable = require 'persist-table'
local currentFort = df.global.ui.civ_id
persistTable.GlobalTable.DruidSystem[tostring(currentFort)] = {}
local druidSystem = persistTable.GlobalTable.DruidSystem[tostring(currentFort)]
druidSystem.Score = {}
druidSystem.Score.Penalty = '0'
druidSystem.Score.Sieges = '0'
local penalty = tonumber(druidSystem.Score.Penalty)
local totalSieges = tonumber(druidSystem.Score.Sieges)

If I add a function that adds 1 point to penalty (penalty = penalty + 1), the new penalty points will be stored?

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2019, 12:33:59 am »

I'm developing the script to trigger attacks from plants. It should work in theory; at least it looks well written to me.

The script allows the user to spawn flows or units over plants of the specified species. I don't know how to cage a unit using just coordinates yet, but that's a minor problem.

Any ideas for plant-based traps are welcome. At the moment, I just have the Sunfire Bush (can be used to spawn a fire burst, and has useful growths) and the Faerie Vine (doesn't produce any growth, but can be used to spawn a Sprite [fancy fairy] that will protect your elves).

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2019, 06:56:45 am »

I'm developing the script to trigger attacks from plants. It should work in theory; at least it looks well written to me.

The script allows the user to spawn flows or units over plants of the specified species. I don't know how to cage a unit using just coordinates yet, but that's a minor problem.

Any ideas for plant-based traps are welcome. At the moment, I just have the Sunfire Bush (can be used to spawn a fire burst, and has useful growths) and the Faerie Vine (doesn't produce any growth, but can be used to spawn a Sprite [fancy fairy] that will protect your elves).

Could add a giant venus fly trap, rafflesia, titan arum, briar patch and poison ivy.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2019, 11:21:26 am »

I added the following as part of my script:
Code: [Select]
local persistTable = require 'persist-table'
local currentFort = df.global.ui.civ_id
persistTable.GlobalTable.DruidSystem[tostring(currentFort)] = {}
local druidSystem = persistTable.GlobalTable.DruidSystem[tostring(currentFort)]
druidSystem.Score = {}
druidSystem.Score.Penalty = '0'
druidSystem.Score.Sieges = '0'
local penalty = tonumber(druidSystem.Score.Penalty)
local totalSieges = tonumber(druidSystem.Score.Sieges)

If I add a function that adds 1 point to penalty (penalty = penalty + 1), the new penalty points will be stored?

penalty = tostring(tonumber(penalty) +1)

I don't believe the to number is actually required (been awhile since I tested), but in my experience it's better to be explicit

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2019, 12:16:27 pm »

Could add a giant venus fly trap, rafflesia, titan arum, briar patch and poison ivy.
I wouldn't do rafflesia or titan arum, because they're not really carnivorous or dangerous in any way. Titan arum for example just uses a scent similar to decaying meat to attract pollinators instead of a sweet scent.

VFT (Dionaea muscipula) uses snap traps. A giant version of this could be similar to a bear-trap. Break legbones etc, hold creatures in place.

Consider a massive version of some kind of Drosera. They use sticky tentacles to lure and trap their prey, and some species can then even wrap their leaves around them. Here is a video of the effect.

But also, there is no reason to limit to carnivorous plants. They just have to be dangerous. Some made up ideas:

- Thorny plant with poisonous barbs that have some affect.
- plant that sends out a burst of corrosive/toxic pollen when it is disturbed

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2019, 10:34:52 am »

Could carnivorous/dangerous plants be creatures with max speed set to zero? Seems simpler than using DFHack for that

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2019, 11:43:37 am »

Could carnivorous/dangerous plants be creatures with max speed set to zero? Seems simpler than using DFHack for that

I've two great problems about that:
First, once the "plant" kills some important creature (i.e. a citizen), it'll become an historical figure.
Second, if those creatures are tamed, then your citizens will be able to pasture them. You'll be able to put a carnivorous plant above a bauxite floor without any problem.

Using actual shrubs removes that behaviour, and since some attacks/effects should consume the plant, it's preferable to use real plants rather than creatures.

stroppycarpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2019, 08:37:15 am »

By all means, continue on your current course, since it will probably be of use in other mods too if you can make it work reliably.

However I think for ease of implementation, everything you're looking for with plant traps seems to be much easier to implement with a reskinned version of meph's gargoyles from his WIP warlock test mod (but I don't mod myself so what do I know). And all the problems can be solved by not looking at them as problems but as features.

For the issue of plants becoming historical figures, whats the problem with that really? In general pop fantasy culture you have plants with sapience such as the Ents in LoTR so you could just give them all faces. Or don't, since there are some creatures in e.g. Masterwork that are just shambling masses of tentacles (presumably with a mouth like a squid in the center?). On top of that, even if they don't have a face or can speak, elves in fantasy settings tend to confer sapience to plants anyway collectively.

For the issue of pasturing a plant over stone, how about instead on a farm plot you grow a key part of the plant, e.g. 'small piranha plant', then you have a special workshop where you can take a Large pot, a small piranha plant, and some magic ingredient (amber?) and turn it into a giant potted plant entity that you can drag around, similar to the plants you can find in offices, or even huge ones in public squares (like a giant potted xmas tree). While on the topic of potted plants, I think elves should have pottery, or be able to also make 'pots' out of grown wood, leave both options open.

All in all, I think there's a lot of potential for a distinct elf race experience in giving them a lot of options to defend themselves with both slow and stationary war "animals" that are based on plants. I remember when playing an older version of the masterwork warlock mod I was early on and suddenly a forest titan appeared before I had any defenses or equipment, and I used ton of slow-moving, weak units to grapple it down and buy myself time. It was a very interesting form of combat strategy and if you replace zombie theme with Ent, it's somewhat similar to something you could develop.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8