Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / Final Phase, 1941 Cold Season  (Read 38327 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / Strategy Phase, 1940 Hot Season
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2020, 10:23:40 am »

Quote from: Terribly Belated Votebox
Attack West Maelstrom: (2) Powder Miner, Twinwolf
Attack Mudflats: (2) Powder Miner, Twinwolf

Use Kona in West Maelstrom: (2) Powder Miner, Twinwolf

Place Refocyte in the Barrens: (2) Powder Miner, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 29, 2020, 07:18:04 pm »

Attack West Maelstrom: (3) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry
Attack Mudflats: (3) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry

Use Kona in West Maelstrom: (3) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry

Place Refocyte in the Barrens: (3) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 29, 2020, 08:27:00 pm »

Attack West Maelstrom: (4) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry, Doomblade
Attack Mudflats: (4) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry, Doomblade

Use Kona in West Maelstrom: (4) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry, Doomblade

Place Refocyte in the Barrens: (4) Powder Miner, Twinwolf, Happerry, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 04, 2020, 02:59:13 am »

the shades I used painting this are not completely accurate (I envision the Marine Fellowship color as actually more of a seafoam green), and obviously our landers arent just a fucking box, BUT
Quote from: Interview with Sergeant Ekewaka Iokua, coxswain of the lander Vengeance
To those of you not familiar with my work, I'm Fakatete Vi, one of only five Journalist's Fellowship members on the Harren Expedition. As you can imagine, my work is set out for me. I've made it my personal mission, though, to get as much information about what it's like out in the war to everyone waiting in the settlement, in the outposts, and beyond. Today, I spoke to several soldiers returning from the recent battles in the muddy plains on the southern part of the continent. Many soldiers spoke of a bloody retreat after an unfortunately failed offensive, but I also heard emphasis placed by a few, especially members of the Marine Fellowship, on how the presence of one Lieutenant Kai Leilani increased morale and helped the retreat go off much more successfully than it could have.

I didn't manage to find Lieutenant Leilani herself, unfortunately -- by the sounds of it, she's already off speaking with the leaders of the military Fellowships about whatever operations they have planned next. However, in my searching for her, I did manage to locate a soldier very close to her -- Sergeant Ekewaka Iokua, a member of her platoon in the 1st Marine Fellowship Regiment, and the coxswain of the landing craft that brought them into battle. I found him in a dock where many of these Makuahine Landing Craft were undergoing repairs and found that his had been given a name (Vengeance) and its very own Tale of Color -- obviously, something this striking caught my eye, and I approached him. We talked for a little while, where we introduced ourselves and where he explained a little about what his position was, and then I stopped him and began a proper interview about his landing craft, and about Lieutenant Leilani. I've transcribed it:

FAKATETE: Right! So, for my readers' sake, can I get you to introduce yourself again?

EKEWAKA: Of course. I'm Sergeant Ekewaka Iokua, of the 1st Marine Fellowship Regiment -- I was part of the spearhead of an amphibious offensive we went through last season, and I'm a skipper for a platoon led by Lieutenant Leilani, with my landing craft Vengeance.

FAKATETE: The landing craft is what brought me over to meet you, so I wanted to talk about that first. How about you tell me what inspired you to name and paint it like that?

EKEWAKA: Well... that amphibious offensive wasn't victorious. They drove us back out, and it was... (Ekewaka exhales heavily and then pauses for a moment.) Well, it wasn't good. Those mudflats have been vicious for us... every step forwards has been after a bloody step back. I wanted to make a point, you know? That battle was bad, but it wasn't so bad that we're not coming back. We'll be back and this time we're not gonna be using. So, you know, a lot of that is pretty obvious.

FAKATETE: A lot of it is, huh? I'm detecting that you want to get a little more specific here -- go ahead.

EKEWAKA: Aha, thank you. Well, first I actually have to mention that I'm not the one who did all the painting. My wife Anaukihesina is Painters' Fellowship, and though we worked on it together and I had many of the ideas, Anaukihesina is the one who did the lion's share of the painting. I'd get in trouble with her if I didn't mention that. (Ekewaka laughs.) But, uh, yeah. I'm sure everyone recognizes the Army Fellowship's green and the Naval Fellowship's blue, where we dotted them into the battles, but I think not everyone actually recognizes that lighter green. That's the color of the Marine Fellowship, there. You know, we just got put together this last year, and I wanted to make sure anyone who happened to see the lander knew that we were going to be back on the front and fighting like all get-out. I didn't exclude the Army or Navy, since from what I hear they were really getting it too, but I did want to put us prominently. We're the ones who jump from the sea into blood and fire, and we're going to do it again... it's an identity that I feel I can ascribe to people like Lieutenant Leilani.

FAKATETE: We'll get to that in a moment, actually, but I've got one more question about the Tale of Color. What does the white represent? The Embralish, I'm guessing?

EKEWAKA: That's right. It took me a little while to decide on what I was going to do for them. Their literal uniform colors weren't going to work, since green and brown just run up against the Army and Woodworker's Fellowships, which Anaukihesina made plenty sure to emphasize. So I thought... well, they don't have the Fellowships and the colors we have, right? They don't get to have that special piece of identity we do -- I have the Marine green, which I take pride in, but they don't have anything. So I thought... hey, maybe we can make them some sort of colorless? Grey didn't work, because we didn't want to associate the Embralish with the Mechanics' Fellowship or the Refocyte-smiths' Fellowship --even if I really. really wish they'd made us some artillery for that battle-- and black didn't work because of the United Armed Fellowship back in the homeland... which... I would rather not get into now, if you don't mind. So, white it was.

FAKATETE: Oh, that's quite thorough, then. I think that settles my questions about the Tale of Color, then. So, you mentioned that Lieutenant Kai Leilani was part of what is driving your identity with the Marine Fellowship? Mind explaining what you mean?

EKEWAKA: She sure is, yeah. And, well, let me put it this way... Kai's a terrible shot.

FAKATETE: What?

(Here, Ekewaka laughs.)
EKEWAKA: Yeah, she's gonna kill me for saying this like this, and I'll probably deserve it, to be honest, but she's really not some expert marksman or something. I've seen her miss a lot of fire. I'm actually better, even though I'm only even out there on land when they decide they want us to stick with the platoons. But, uh, it's not actually that funny. See, Kai was there in those very first battles at the Mudflats, when we first ran into that awful gas. And she got hit with some of it. She survived, and she didn't go blind, but... it took a toll, you know? And Kai didn't forget it. There's... this fire, in her, I guess. She wants revenge, and it's more than clear by now that she isn't going to back down, or slow down and stop, no matter what kinds of... horrible situations the Embralish place us in. She's brave beyond anything else I've ever seen. You know what else is real important to understanding why she helped build what it is to be Marine Fellowship for me, though?

FAKATETE: Er, what would that be?

EKEWAKA: I'm a deeply lazy person by heart. (Ekewaka laughs again.)

(Note: I tried to speak again here, but Ekewaka stopped me by grinning and holding up a finger. I know I'm editorializing here, which as always I will strive not to make a habit of, but there was a certain laid-back poise he had that I found I couldn't interrupt.)

EKEWAKA: I was born into the Naval Fellowship -- long line of navy folks, so we were doing pretty well and I never really felt the need to do much beyond go with the flow. That went okay, and I always kind of just went with whatever came up. I got into the expedition since the Naval Fellowship wanted to send members of senior families out, including me and my brothers, and I adjusted alright, and then they were looking for people for the new Marine Fellowship, and they wanted people good with small boats. I'm good with small boats, so they asked me to come aboard, and I said... sure, alright. And I thought I'd adjusted to that well, too. But without Kai, I don't know if I would have made it out of there.

FAKATETE: If it isn't too much trouble, do you mind telling me a little more about it?

EKEWAKA: It's fine. Ah... so... I was in some of the early naval combat with the Naval Fellowship, and I was piloting one of those garbage landers they gave us in that first landing, and it was pretty brutal in both cases. It's not like I haven't seen heavy combat before. But this was the first time I'd actually been out there on foot, since there's not as many of us in the Marine Fellowship -- they didn't want to leave a bunch of people idling in one spot, so they had us skippers pretty closely involved with rapid transport along the shore and with following up on foot when needed. Pushing through the mud like that, with explosives and artillery blasting every which way as we struggled to kick through the muck and as the tanks sunk... I mean, actually fighting for every step like that... it was new, and it was hard. I might have just defaulted back to that "go with the flow" approach if not for Kai, floundered, and got left behind. Maybe would have died. That's one of the things that's really special about her.

FAKATETE: Sorry, what is?

EKEWAKA: It didn't matter if she was getting sprayed with dirt from a blast, if she was as miserable and sweaty as the rest of us when we set up camp or set down in a bunker for the night, or if we were... well, if we were losing our buddies. Which we did. And we lost... we lost a good few of them. None of it was enough to break her. It's not that she's some sort of super... killing machine, because she's not. But she's unstoppable, and when you're alongside her, losing heart and breaking just... it's not an option. And, like, I don't mean that she's one of those kinds of female officers that really lights you up and puts the fear of the brass into you. I mean, she's firm, and she's definitely going to kill me after reading this interview, but that's not really the point. The point is... well, uh, I guess I could put it like this: when Kai is up there fighting her heart out, and when she's not faltering... it's hard to not follow her. And she really takes us all pretty seriously, too -- she's taken the whole Marine Fellowship identity to heart, and she actually does spend quite a lot of time making sure we're set to keep moving forward, and motivated. With how much care she spends on making sure her unit is up here with her, and with how just tenacious she is... well, I just couldn't help but keep strong. Kai led our platoon further than almost anyone else in that battle, and when the decision was finally made to turn back around, she kept us all moving despite the mud and the blood. She got a lot of us out alive by leading the way she does, more than just me.

(Note: I'm fairly certain that Ekewaka is specifically complaining about Admiral Vaea of the Naval Fellowship with his comment about "those kinds of female officers", as she is notoriously strict.)

FAKATETE: I'm taking a guess here, but that is probably a lot of what influenced you to paint your Tale the way you did, right?

EKEWAKA: Yeah, that's right. With that bond between her and the rest of the platoon, and us between each other... it really made being Marine Fellowship mean something to me. We're the people who go into some of the worst situations, and we're the ones who do it again and again -- and we do it together. And that's what the bright green fist on that Tale represents. We're coming back to knock the Embralish out of here once and for all, and we're going to be back. Us, the Marine Fellowship -- we were forged in this war and we're gonna be on the front lines helping to win it. The Marine Fellowship, me, Kai, and it's that determination and those bonds that are going to see us through. I'm sure of it. The Embralish better hold onto their helmets.

FAKATETE: You really do seem to hold Lieutenant Leilani in high esteem. Do you think she's special this way, or do you think that there are plenty of Marine Fellowship officers this way?

EKEWAKA: Well, I'm probably pretty biased here. (Ekewaka laughs.) But I really do think Kai is something special. I mean, there are a lot of good officers in the Marine Fellowship, and I think the fact that we have a lot of units that feel the way Kai's platoon does is part of what makes the Marine Fellowship special in turn. But I doubt a lot of people are as unwavering and inspiring as Kai is. I expect her to be on pretty much every spearhead from here on out. Ah, man, I suppose I'll probably be there too, except for when they're keeping skippers with their boats around the ships.

FAKATETE: Alright, I think I've really got an excellent window of the Marine Fellowship and of Lieutenant Leilani from your words and your and your wife's work, Ekewaka. Thank you for that. Any parting words?

EKEWAKA: Well, I suppose I'll say this: I really won't be surprised if Kai gets promoted along with some medals -- and I'll gladly keep serving in her unit and being her skipper, to the end of the war, even! ...Well, if she'll allow that after this interview, anyway.

(Ekewaka laughs.)

Lore:
PUT ME THE FUCK IN COACH (Ho'opai & Interview with Ekewaka): (1) Powder Miner

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 04, 2020, 09:38:16 am »

Lore:
PUT ME THE FUCK IN COACH (Ho'opai & Interview with Ekewaka): (2) Powder Miner, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 04, 2020, 01:38:48 pm »

Lore:
PUT ME THE FUCK IN COACH (Ho'opai & Interview with Ekewaka): (3) Powder Miner, Doomblade, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / Design Phase, 1940 Cold Season
« Reply #426 on: June 17, 2020, 01:18:39 am »

Strategy Phase, Hot Season 1940 AC

This season saw us expand our industrial endeavors with the extraction of Refocyte in The Barrens, bringing access to the material to five(5). This will change our armory in the following ways:

Kaipo'u-class Battleship becomes (EXPENSIVE).

----------------

Combat Phase, Hot Season 1940 AC

War in the Western Waters

The fighting in the Western Maelstrom had gone from a slaughter to a stalemate in the blink of an eye. The Embralish focus on increasing their surface presence had been felt by every combat group within the Expedition's Naval Fellowship. The Silada and Mukebaza were so numerous and resilient (especially the Silada) that the fleet had to continue it's hit-and-run tactics and avoid straight engagement throughout the beginning of the season. Eventually, however, the Embralish patrols became a little more sparse. Embralish submarines poked and prodded combat groups as always, an everpresent threat to the Fellowship, but their fleet as a whole took on a more passive stance as the season went on. Seeing an opportunity, a number of combat groups built around Kaipo'u Battleships, coordinated by the Kona, made their way into the Embralish-controlled waters.

----

The ships of the Command Group, as with every Initharian combat group, swore by the judicious use of their Refocyte Active Sonar. Sure, it let the Embralish know they were there, but it also let the fleet know where the Embralish were. The fleet was able to outmaneuver their enemies, and with extra firepower from the increased number of Kaipo'us afloat, there was more confidence in engagements between task forces of equal number.

The pivotal engagement of the season took place nearer to the end as the rains began to grow colder. A pair of Siladas were trying to provide cover for a Hetham that had to surface after suffering from being in too close proximity to a volley of refocyte rounds from one of the Kaipo'us in the task force, and after following them from nearly dawn until dusk, not that there was much difference in The Maelstrom, the two Ho'oulas hounding them finally engaged.

Their back and forth went on for the better part of a half hour as the destroyers circled one another (or more accurately, the Ho'oulas drew large circles around the Siladas). The Ho'oulas focused their efforts on a single Silada and scored a couple solid hits before a Ho'oula got caught by a lucky shell and broke apart in the waves.

The rest of the Initharian Fleet was soon upon the small skirmish, and the two Siladas were quick to succumb to the heavier firepower of the Kaipo'us approaching in the distance. The Embralish fleet had sent their own ships out to engage as well though, and the overextended Ho'oula began to pull away and further into the protection of the bigger guns.

Splashes started to gush upwards as shells from both sides struck the seas. In a matter of minutes the first kill was scored as a Kaipo'u struck a Silada on the bow with a 120mm refocyte round, peeling the hull open and forcing the vessel to go full astern in order to reduce the water flooding in through the massive gash in the ship - not that it helped much when a second round struck amidship and ripped the ship to pieces.

Our battleships had been the target of frequent submarine attacks, but the Embralish 'Sharak' Oxygen-Enriched Submarine Torpedo proved to be less an issue than one would expect of a new Embralish torpedo. From what we could gather, the Sharak could be fired from well outside the range of Refocyte Active Sonar, and if it hit a target and detonated that ship had about as much chance of sinking as it did limping back to base for extensive repairs. The issue (or boon from our end) was the torpedo's drastic drop in reliability compared to the old-world models they brought with them. More often than not torpedoes would miss their targets due to problems with weighting, and when they did hit a target they failed to detonate more often than not. The only reason we imagine they even fielded the things was because of the increased range and yield, which seems to have roughly balanced out the flaws inherent in the weapon. Still, a number of subs had been apparently loitering outside of RAS range, and as the clash between fleets began to escalate one of the Kaipo'us was rocked by a Sharak torpedo near the stern. The detonation struck the engine room and set off one of the Coilengine coils. The rod uncoiled with immense force, resulting in it being fired out of it's housing and up through the deck, where it was triggered by the force of impact yet again, and then went streaking through the air before landing on the ship's deck with enough force to trigger another burst of energy, this time downward into the ship.

Mukebazas still formed the core of Embral's surface fleet, and not only did they have to deal with Kaipo'us in enough number to make chances of success slimmer for the cruisers (though we would have possibly seen more battleships survive to engage the fleet with proper ASW), the Ho'oulas also had the Lehe to fire as they performed their combat maneuvers.

The Embralish hadn't had to deal much with torpedoes before - in most all cases where our old world torpedoes could be used (and we should note they were also significantly worse than Embral's old world torpedo) we had better options to engage with. Now, however, the massive number of destroyers fielded by the Naval Fellowship were making judicious use of the Lehe, and Embralish ships had begun to feel it. The Silada, for all it's resilience, could not eat a blast from the Lehe and remain afloat for long enough that it's Wellmoss would patch the extensive wound. The Mukebazas didn't fare much better, as they were a larger, slower target with near-equivalent armor and no self-repairing abilities. Ho'oulas were still the victims of their own lack of armor, and not all of them were able to loose their torpedoes before being sent into the seabed. Still, Embralish ships were taking significant losses at a rate faster than our fleet's own growing-towards-significant losses. By midnight the Embralish fleet had managed to largely disengage, using a smaller force to hold the Naval Fellowship back and buying time for retreat.

The relatively easy win did not result in an easy advance however. The submersible fleet was extremely well organized for defending the waters under Embralish control, and ships attempting to pursue retreating ships were often met by torpedoes. Even though a good number didn't do damage, and hunting Hethams was not too difficult a task anymore, it still forced an abundance of caution on the fleet and slowed advancement. Our own forces were well organized themselves, so our forces attempting to secure the area took fewer losses as each Hetham ambush was rapidly and effectively dealt with. Thanks in part to the presence of our flagship, as well as the absence of a focused resistance in the region, Inithar reattains Light Control of the W. Maelstrom.

----------------

The Last Wikiwiki

Kai Leilani hated this fucking place. Nothing ever went to plan. The weather made life absolutely miserable. And the Embralish. Those fucking savages.

Kai had been one of the first Marines on the muddy shores for Inithar's second attempt at prying land from the Embralish. The landing itself was not much different than usual on the approach: the Embralish pounded the seas with distant artillery while the Naval Fellowship pounded Embralish positions - now mapped to a small degree thanks to the previous failure - to aid the landing craft and the soldiers within. But once her boots were on the ground Kai knew this fight was going to be quite different.

The Embralish had decided to introduce the Wellshrubbery Mk.II Concealment Kit, a kit containing seeds and a noisemaker for growing wellshrubbery. Unlike the previous breed, the new plants proved to be hardy, durable, and dense. They could also root into most surfaces, and could survive for a few days once planted and grown. The Embralish had planted hedgerows blocking a significant number of safe passages on the water-logged battlefield and, as Kai soon discovered, they used it in the trenches to create dead ends that took time to work through but could be well-defended by a soldier firing through the dense brush. This had a very devastating impact as Marines were guided into pre-targeted zones by the voluminous Wellshrubbery. LIE traps littered the positions not zeroed by Niramatas and Havezaras, so the air on the battlefield was thick with toxic gas as always. The issue was the concentration of troops meant less spread regarding LIE Shells, which increased their effectiveness by quite a lot.

They turned the battlefield into a fucking hedge maze. Other sectors had reported less use of Wellshrubbery, but it seemed, as always, Kai had to lead her soldiers straight through the serpent's mouth. She didn't know how lucky her Marines had it at the time. All she knew was her military couldn't provide enough gas masks for everyone against an enemy that had a fetish for the stuff, and every single one of those kids was suffering the cruelest death for it.

Progress was slow going, but the Pohū Ringa aided at least somewhat once the landing forces got to Embralish positions. The grenades proved quite easy to toss at a distance thanks to their shape, and Kai had managed to take out a bunker on her own while it fired on her position with a perfect spiraling throw. The dense concussive blast was extremely effective at clearing out enclosed spaces on it's own, and the frag case made it even better. Each soldier carried a pair of the things, and with the number of dead and dying across the battlefield, Kai had access to a large supply of the things.

Armored and vehicular was getting slammed hard as it came forward. All across the line, and indeed everywhere the Initharian vehicles went, they were met with the Autoresonant Siege Horn. The ASH was a tube just shy of 1.4 meters long constructed of a combination of aluminum, Wellwood, and Wellbronze for a relatively light weight of 4.8kg. The rear tube allowed quick installation of the compressed air canisters which served as the weapon's ammunition. The weapon itself worked by "playing" the weapon and emitting sound directed forward (though there is a little bleeding of noise around the weapon, but it's largely harmless). A microphone also directed forward was used to detect feedback from targeted objects. A small dial on the side of the weapon could be set to freely adjust, where the ASH would automatically attempt to detect the resonance frequency of targeted objects, and could also be set manual if the user was confident in their prior experience with or knowledge of the target.

When the ASH fires it unloads the entire canister of air through the tube at once, playing at the frequency on the tuner and launching a wave (or more accurately, ball) of sound that, while not visible, certainly makes itself known on impact. Solid targets struck by this controlled burst of sound, like our Wikiwiki and Alanui, found themselves broken and battered, shattered so long as the frequency was within effective tonal range. Softer objects, like flesh and organs, tended to rupture if the ASH was keyed into a human target, and effects such as ringing in the ears, perforated eardrums, and intense vertigo could be felt if close enough to an impact site regardless of frequency. The range, as in distance, of the ASH proves somewhat short at 100 meters, but it's ability to terrifyingly "rapidly disassemble" targets cannot be understated.

Kai had managed to survive a blast from one particular ambush the evening after the Marines linked up with the Army Fellowship. One of her NCOs had been the target of an ASH and was in the middle of receiving orders when he'd exploded like a gory balloon with an accompanying whining burst of noise. The impact, if it could even be called that, heavily disoriented Kai and she stumbled to the ground with blood seeping from her fingernails and an intense general pain throughout her body, including an intense pressure in and behind her eyes.

She couldn't remember much past that, not until she woke up in a medical outpost back in Initharian-held territory. The rain and wind lashed and beat the tent around her. Both her vision and her thoughts were fuzzy, but before Kai fully came around she was crowded by her skipper. He filled her in on what had happened, and Kai felt her chest cool with every word.

Most of her Marines had been wiped out or captured. The offensive has some level of indirect fire support this time, but the front with her Marines saw almost none of it, and their section was ordered to pull back when a pair of Embralishs counterattack broke through near the coast and threatened to link up. The threat was rapidly realized thanks to the introduction of the Katarani Medium Tank Mk1. This "medium" tank was relatively lightly armed and small for it's designation, utilizing a 70mm gun with relatively small ammo stores for it's class at 35 rounds. 80mm armor protected the front and turret and 50mm armor protected the sides, and spaced armor at the front and over the treads in the form of fairly thin plates mounted a few centimeters from the hull act to trigger Refocyte munitions, greatly reducing their effectiveness.

With it's smaller gun and ammo stores than most medium tanks, the vehicle does see a good increase in speed thanks to it's powerful diesel engine, topping out at 55km/h. The tanks seemed to suffer from reliability issues after extended periods of use, and more than a few times crew of a Katarani needed to expose themselves to Initharian gunfire to manually crank the engine back on - an engine that seemed to produce no noise. Cover was provided for exposed crew via a Musakila accessible from the turret hatch, but that wasn't too safe a position either.

The issue with the Kataranis, while they were few and far between, was the fact that they seemed to be designed almost exclusively to take on the Alanui. The spaced armor helped to increase survivability by quite a large bit, and their speed meant they were surprisingly effective at hunting down out armor. Our only saving grace, besides their tendency to break down, was their need for fairly regular resupply, which exacerbated the problems the Embrals had with their low numbers already.

The Embralish ability to slam Initharian armor with infantry as well as a new tank, which received it's fair share of Rogi support (since the things seemed to be around every corner and behind every bush anyways), helped them slam their jaws shut around the Marines. Kai, it turned out, had been loaded onto the last Wikiwiki to escape through the gap. None of her soldiers save for the ones evacuated before her own injury had been heard from since.

----

The entire push through The Mudflats was absolute fucking hell for everybody. Our artillery support was scarcely available, and what few guns we had were often in need of repairs. The Pohū Ringa was beautifully effective at it's task (that is, killing or otherwise removing Embralish forces from the battlefield), but a grenade alone would not prove enough to turn the tide in Inithar's favor, not when Embral pushed out an Alanui hunter and a fresh new potential war crime in the form of the Autoresonant Siege Horn. While our previous efforts did make things somewhat easier, the effect of prior knowledge was somewhat hampered thanks to the new breed of Wellshrubbery modifying the landscape. Still, the enemy didn't seem to have a coordinated effort for action, and so we were able to hit them with a few assaults throughout the season. While this didn't force the Embralish from their positions, it will probably make future actions even easier.

Inithar fails to push The Mudflats.

----------------

The lack of significant Embralish offensive anywhere is worrying. What could it mean? Perhaps we shouldn't dwell on them too much, and instead focus on our own efforts. As always, and it has never been different, you have two designs to work with.

HOWEVER

We have been in touch with Inithar itself thanks to the cables laid by the Black Fellowship. Apparently they've been working on new advancements of their own, and some Military Engineers have shared quite an interesting concept with us. For this turn only, any work on dedicated National Effort Designs will be treated as though they have Research Credits applied. This counts for both Designs and Revisions. Upgrades to other designs that would improve existing National Efforts are not eligible for the bonus.

IT IS NOW THE DESIGN PHASE

Spoiler: Land Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sea Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Initharian Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Known Embralish Armory (click to show/hide)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanized Warfare: Inithar Thread / Design Phase, 1940 Cold Season
« Reply #427 on: June 17, 2020, 07:10:32 pm »

M1 "Hana Koko" HMG
We've known for a while now that we need an HMG capable of firing Refocyte rounds before we attacked the pact, and now we've finally found the time to actually make it.
The Hana Koko is a 38 Kg, 1,800 mm long PACT MG chambered in 15mm. it has an admittedly low RoF of 350 RPM, but this is largely mitigated by it's 2,000 meter range and the fact that each bullet packs a very large punch, allowing it to rip through lightly armored targets with mere steel AP rounds and fuck up moderately armored targets with it's Refocyte rounds. It can, like our other PACT weapon, use AP, Refocyte, and HE rounds, all in the same belt. Notably, it's HE is "pure" HE, focusing on raw explosive power unlike High Explosive Fragmentation Incendiary rounds, this gives it much more of an "oomph" against softer targets like aircraft spars and people, making it almost a poor man's Magic Bullet against them. Unlike our current PACT weapon it has four fixed rails, which greatly reduce the chance of a jam due to the higher tolerances and decreases the wear on the rails. combined with the return plate getting it's own battery this PACT system now needs much less maintenance. we plan on mounting it on the Wikiwiki, the Alanui's AA mount, really just replacing the Kakala on any other vehicle mounting, as well as it's own carriage, and replacing the 'Io's MGs with 4 Hana Kokos and a sidecar mount for our motorcycle.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 01:27:17 pm by m1895 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 17, 2020, 10:50:09 pm »

M2 Mea Nānā HMG (Means Explorer according to powoder)

Based on the mechanical design of the Lawaneo-B, the Mea Nānā is a Refocyte machine gun that fires 15mm rifle rounds. To do so, the Lawaneo-B mechanism is modified for improved reliability and speed. The four firing rails are fixed in place, and their length does not change from shot to shot. This makes the calculations for catapult velocity much simpler, and should reduce the risk of a dangerous catapult jam. The catapult itself has also been modified with four low-friction ball bearings. These are notable for the fact that the connecting ball bearings are nickel alloys, connected by the same thin cross-section nickel wire to the catapult platelet. This upgraded rail contact system allows predicable energy transfer while maintaining durability and travel speed. The barrel is shortened to 800mm, due to the shorter rails and smaller round. The Refocyte energy storage system has also been modified – the weapon has a two batteries, one for the return lever and one for the firing mechanism. Both batteries are locked in place via clamps.

The return mechanism has also been changed - the catapult, upon reaching the end of the rails and being returned by the end lever, runs back into the receiver. The receiver's contact surface is covered in thicc rubber, and the impact from the catapult pushes the entire mechanism back on a set of springs that cycle the next bullet into the catapult. The belt magazine advances one spot through the gun, with the belt passing above the firing mechanism, outside the receiver. As the receiver pulls backwards, the bullet is pushed out of the belt by a small cylinder, and slides into position in the catapult. As long as the trigger is held down, the receiver sliding forward into place will advance the belt forward by one and trigger the firing mechanism, resulting in fully automatic fire. The return lever has it’s own battery

Parts machined for the M2 are done so with the goal of a reliable mechanism first and foremost. The weapon is capable of firing mixed belts of normal and Refocyte rounds. The Mea Nānā has a designed effective range of 2000m and a designed fire rate of 300 RPM, and is designed to fit on to existing vehicular machine gun mounts. A tripod mount for crew served use is also available.

Thoughts on the Force Laser
I agree that the force laser should be an emitter-based weapon. That is to say, the shape and design of the emitter should impact the behavior of the projected force. What we should be careful to define is whether it's a concave or a convex emission. As for the actual alloy, for flavor text I was thinking that we should alloy Refocyte with a decidedly non-structural metal or element. Alternatively, we could chemically treat the weapon alloy. Further, we should decide whether or not it's a directional discharge or not, which would save on rubber a little bit.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:58:19 pm by Doomblade187 »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 18, 2020, 02:06:19 am »

Used the Stridsvagn 103 as inspiration for some of the mundane specs on this one, under the logic that a super fucking DUPER pure refocyte engine could probably match a turbune engine for power.

The Huhuli:

The Huhuli is a permanently National Effort tank slightly larger and less boxy than the Alanui, with that expense coming in the form of its high quality components and the absurdly pure refocyte it uses (using processes not practical for mass production), particularly for its extremely powerful coilengine, which is intended to drive the tank at 50-60 km/h despite its very heavy armor, and the batteries that serve as its ammo. It uses armor ranging from 70mm to 30mm in thickness (70 along turret and sides, 40 at the top and 30 beneath) which is a primitive composite armor, using a layer of pressed tungsten carbide plates for the outer 10mm of the armor and cast steel for the remainder. It also uses a thick canvas tarp for use exclusively against Embral, meant to act as an additional layer the Autoresonant Siege Horn has to destroy before getting to the armor. It is crewed by three (driver, commander, gunner, no loader) and has a coaxial machine-gun mount with the HMG we create this season and a closed-cupola machine-gun mount with a Kakala. The turret is quite large and turns using a small coilengine.

The main weapon is a Shaped Force Emitter, a two-foot tapering cylinder of a nickel-refocyte alloy which fires an extremely powerful tapering beam of pure force from refocyte batteries — nickel-refocyte alloy projects refocyte’s stored force outwards in a sustained and shaped manner. The shape of a Shaped Force Emitter controls the shape the force is projected in, so a tapering cylinder produces a tapering beam of force. The purity of the refocyte in a SFE controls how much force it outputs from the battery at any one moment (and, well, the Huhuli’s SFE is quite pure indeed). As SFEs do consume a lot of refocyte energy, the Huhuli uses a large set of 8 extremely pure refocyte batteries for ammo, which take advantage of the slight increase in tank size and the absence of a loader to take up a lot of space. There isn’t a loader because the gunner only needs to flip a switch to change which battery the SFE is contacting. We expect the Huhuli’s SFE to be much stronger than non-NE SFEs we use in the future thanks to the purity of the involved Refocyte — frankly, to be pretty overwhelmingly powerful.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:50:28 am by Powder Miner »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 18, 2020, 11:45:53 am »

National Jeffort

OwO

The Deeps Submarine Hunter is a very low profile cruiser class ship. It boasts an experimental double hull for breach resistance, and a massive coilengine that uses twin screws to propel the ship at over 120kph. The ship sits very low in the water, almost halfway so, and the top is covered in sloped armor. The primary weapon of the submarine hunter is array of Lithium alloyed refocyte force projection cannons embedded in the hull, allowing long range fire under the surface and at nearby ship hulls. The ship also boasts a complex sonar array, with several towable 360° bouts aiding the accurate. The ship has two surface level turrets with force projection cannons.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 18, 2020, 02:47:34 pm »

Mobile Fortress Aroha

Sometimes, it is the time for subtlety and subterfuge. Refocyte weapons are near silent, and our culture is predisposed to code and subterfuge with our abilities to silently communicate. There are some teams working on proposals to make use of this. But that is not the scenario this design is for. Sometimes, it is the time to say “fuck you, fuck the ground you’re standing on, fuck everything in your post code and the next one over”.

Mobile Fortress Aroha is for that time.

The Mobile Fortress Aroha is massive in scale, nearer to a battleship on treads than a tank. It is borne by two sets of massive treads (protected by a metal “skirt” to keep from being easily shelled; it is not easy to replace treads bigger than some small buildings). It is large enough to house, in addition to it’s estimated 2,000 enlisted crewmen and 125 officers (plus reserves), another brigade’s worth of armed soldiers (who can disembark at any of a dozen exit points in the lower levels, covered by machine guns and smoke). It’s armor is thick, albeit varying across it’s size, with roughly 175 milimeters of steel combined with 50 milimeters of moderate purity refocyte (with a layer of rubber keeping potential discharge directed outwards), (while higher purity could be obtained, not at this scale, and that scale makes the capacity larger anyway) and finally 35 milimeters of tungsten carbide as an outer shell to help against incendiary and sonic attacks, and it’s size is such that even a penetration has to get lucky to reach critical systems. It can be hermetically sealed against gas and has large compliments of air tanks to keep from suffocation. The refocyte armor is a new development, making use of Refocyte’s energy absorbing properties; while it’s hardly invulnerable, it can rob shells of much of their momentum as they make impact, and use it to recharge - potentially charging the engines, or the armor itself, for a purpose discussed later.

The Mobile Fortress Aroha is, as the name implies, armed to the teeth with more than enough firepower to take all comers. To prevent infantry from boarding, the fortress is dotted with “bunker” blisters, each holding two machine gun mounts, two grenade launchers, and room for snipers (along with a company of marines if something makes it past anyway). Then, there are the “cannon blisters”, at roughly a 1:2 ratio with bunker blisters, each with two  mounts for heavy anti-tank weaponry, as well as storage for refocyte, armor piercing, and high explosive ammunition as needed. The blisters have heavily sloped armor to help prevent weapon knock outs. On the top, there are several mounts for anti-air weaponry, as well as four main turrets. Two of them are for traditional artillery.

The other two turrets, as well as an additional frontal turret, hold the experimental “main armament” of the Mobile Fortress. The two turrets are unique in their ammunition, primarily. They are loaded with high purity "Refocyte Cluster" munitions; unlike normal shells, they don't detonate on contact, but in the air. This spreads dozens of high purity refocyte submunitions in a lethal anti-armor and anti-infantry rain. The front-mounted gun is a giant single-barrel cannon, bigger than the rest of the artillery put together, which fires single, heavy shells. These shells consist of a high density steel penetrator, wrapped around a highly pure refocyte core and battery; the penetrator digs deep into the ground, and once it's stopped the core is activated. This sends massive shockwaves around the target area - a proper bunker-buster capable of collapsing enemy tunnels and subterranean facilities, and potentially causing localized earthquakes.

The stuff that brings it all together is in the engines. It takes 10 huge, high purity Supercharger Coilengines to move the thing at greater than a walking pace, and they are kept active by many high purity refocyte batteries. Multiple teams are actually assigned to continually recharge the batteries via sledgehammer out of combat - although in combat, impacts that hit the refocyte armor can be drained for energy. Or, alternatively… the engineers can be ordered to not drain the armor. And instead, to charge it. The final major capability of the Aroha is the Full Armor Discharge. The sheer volume of refocyte, even not high purity refocyte, in the armor belt allows for a dramatic discharge of energy. The force alone is enough to crater the area directly around the fortress, and flip vehicles and break bones to greater ranges. And if the tungsten carbide layer is still intact at the time of the burst, it can shatter and add massive shrapnel to the burst for greater lethality.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:19:59 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 18, 2020, 03:49:04 pm »

Stingray, SFE Skirmisher (National Effort)

The Stingray is a very low profile cruiser class ship. It boasts an experimental double hull for breach resistance, a hydrofoil styled hull, and a massive coilengine that uses twin screws to propel the ship at over 180kph. The ship sits very low in the water, at rest, but lifts out at speed increases. The top of the ship is covered in sloped armor. The primary weapon of the submarine hunter is array of Nickel and Lithium alloyed refocyte force projection cannons in hull based turret mounts, each turret boasting two cannons for additive fire capabilities. In addition, the hull turrets are watertight, and are underwater while the ship is slower speeds. These can be fired underwater for long range fire under the surface. The ship also boasts a complex sonar array, with several towable 360° bouys replacing the older hull mounted models. The ship has two deck turrets, each with 4 SFE cannons.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 19, 2020, 07:25:10 pm »

The Huhuli [Third Draft]:
"Small-brain, am I?" muttered Kaimana Nima, sitting at his desk. "Not 'beeg' enough, is it?" His pen scratched across his paper, a rather stubborn expression on his face. "Fine, I'll show them 'beeg' enough. I'll take all of these specs, and I'll just..."

The Huhuli is a permanently National Effort tank slightly larger and less boxy than the Alanui, with that expense coming in the form of its high quality components and the absurdly pure refocyte it uses (using processes not practical for mass production), particularly for its extremely powerful dual coilengine (supported by fine work from the Mechanics’ Fellowship), which is intended to drive the tank at around 170 km/h (in situations that physically allow for it or course), the batteries that serve as its ammo, and its armor. It uses armor in two layers, which actually only amount to about 60mm of thickness overall -- 30mm of this is the outside layer of the armor, consisting of pressed tungsten carbide plates, meant to provide protection against the melting munitions of the PACT, and the other 30mm is of course pure refocyte, an excruciatingly meticulously created singular piece of refocyte sitting on the inside layer and making the Huhuli essentially immune to physical force, especially since the refocyte is specially heat treated to lower the threshold of accepted physical force in order to absorb powerful sound. It is crewed by four (driver, commander, gunner, secondary gunner) and three machine gun mounts: a coaxial machine-gun mount with a Kakala,  operated by the main gunner, a closed-cupola machine-gun mount atop the turret with the HMG we develop this season operated by the commander, and another HMG at the rear operated by the secondary gunner in a much lower and smaller turret at the rear, behind the turret. (The ASH doesn’t really allow us unshielded gunner positions on so important a vehicle.) The turret is quite large and turns using a small coilengine.

The main weapon is a Shaped Force Emitter, a two-foot tapering cylinder of a nickel-refocyte alloy which fires an extremely powerful tapering beam of pure force from refocyte batteries — nickel-refocyte alloy projects refocyte’s stored force outwards in a sustained and shaped manner. The shape of a Shaped Force Emitter controls the shape the force is projected in, so a tapering cylinder produces a tapering beam of force. The purity of the refocyte in a SFE controls how much force it outputs from the battery at any one moment (and, well, the Huhuli’s SFE is quite pure indeed). As SFEs do consume a lot of refocyte energy, the Huhuli uses a large set of 8 extremely pure refocyte batteries for ammo, which take advantage of the slight increase in tank size and the absence of a loader to take up a lot of space. There isn’t a loader because the gunner only needs to flip a switch to change which battery the SFE is contacting. We expect the Huhuli’s SFE to be much stronger than non-NE SFEs we use in the future thanks to the purity of the involved Refocyte — during development, we in fact used it to singlehandedly perform a scheduled demolishment of one of the larger buildings of the old city of Abbera, which was performed in only a few swipes of the SFE, lines of exploded concrete ripping through most of the entire building with each swipe.

Quote from: voteboxne
The Huhuli [Third Draft]: (1) Powder Miner
M2 Mea Nānā HMG: (1) Powder Miner
-Use our Research Credit: (1) Powder Miner
—Name it the M2 Pua Pua: (0)
—Name it the M1 Mea Nānā: (1) Powder Miner
Mobile Fortress Aroha: (0)
Stingray, SFE Skirmisher: (0)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:53:16 pm by Powder Miner »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2020, 05:24:14 pm »

National Effort Proposals:

Kai Leilani, Assault Leader

Kai Leilani is an esteemed assault company leader, and has proven her leadership and worth time and time again.

We have also recently lost several colonists to a bizzare carnivore attack, wherein the colonists were seemingly helpless to move, despite being armed and with no restraint marks.

By using special forces to capture and breed these "kinetic beasts" as the far-flung colonists are calling them, we will build Kai a suit of armor impervious to all kinetic attacks, with a gas mask to boot. Furthermore, Kai will receive an experimental machine gun, the "Lawaneo-C" to provide fire support to her troops. With Kai at the arrow point, and leading through the breach, we will crush all before us.

Lawaneo-C Siege Tank

A heavily modified Alunai chassis, the Lawaneo-C Siege tank is nothing less than a fully automatic Lawaneo Cannon mounted on a tank chassis, with fully rotatable turret and high purity refocyte armor.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35