Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

Author Topic: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Part One Ends  (Read 64539 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Moving On Out
« Reply #435 on: July 29, 2019, 06:02:59 pm »

Apologies for the delay. I'm committed to seeing the game through until you're all twisted mutated monstrosities striding continents even if there are sometimes gaps in update schedule.

Henry's Cafe
Let the others take the lead here. While I’m waiting, look around the area (not like walking around, just observe my surroundings).
[Amoretto rolled 6+3+1wits=10]
Amoretto scans the street while the others greet the woman.

"Hi there," says Dell. "I recognise you. You passed through the Keep before right?"

"That's right," says the woman. "You don't happen to have seen my husband, Sandeep?"

"I don't know any Sandeeps," says Dell.

The woman looks crestfallen.

"Where's everyone else you travelled up with?" asks Frog.

"There was a fight along the road," she says. A look of horror spreads across her face and she talks slowly and deliberately. "This woman went nuts and started... she started eating people."

"Some fled, some died, most of us made it up to here. The rest are over by the pier waiting. I've been watching the road."

Between the gaps in the houses, where Amoretto can briefly glimpse the sea, he sees a 30ft long motorboat cruising into view, pointed to the shore northwest from where he stands.

Thorny Industrial Estate

Cut some rhubarb stalks with the razor leg, and also collect some rhubarb leaves in a different pocket

then continue NW
El Tigre finishes up his foraging and heads off with Helen northwest...

El Tigre gains a bushel of rhubarb stalks.
El Tigre gains a pocketful of rhubarb leaves.

Walt Lab
The luchador and the tentacoiler arrive outside the cryogenic lab where El Tigre first awoke. The squat research building rises up before him, covered in vines. The door is ajar.

Twisty Streets
Free the sheep
[Sandra rolled 5+6+1body=12]
The compartment of the blimp is locked, but the latch is old and worn. Sandra is able to plant on foot on the side of the door and yank the whole thing open.

The sheep bleats its appreciation as it scurries out of the compartment and starts roaming off south.

Residential Scyamore Wood
"Regarding this revenge idea... I believe that it was Proverb 10:12 that said 'Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs'. We have no less than three pressing issues to attend to right now. What I mean is if we pick a fight before Tuckswood is secure then our enemies will take the fight back to us before we are ready for them."

Issac looks to the Tractor. "On the other hand, we'll never get a better chance to investigate than right now. So I propose that after we find out who is responsible we should head back and report on our findings. Exhibit A: The stolen vehicle. Perhaps our little thief left something behind that they'll regret. And while we're at it we should also retrieve any small objects of value that may still be inside of the tractor before anyone else gets a chance to loot it."

Issac spends some time inspecting the damaged Tractor
[Isaac rolled 3+2-2empathy+1lawyer+1bibleknowledge+0church=7]
[Isaac rolled 5+3+3wits+1assistance=12]
Begrudgingly, the others agree that wandering off in revenge would be reckless. In the course the of the persuasion, Isaac realises he's about exhausted his memory of the book of Proverbs. Never mind, Father Michael should be impressed when he reports back.

The group take some time to investigate the tractor. A lot of it is trashed, including most of the engine and all of the flamethrower. However, they do manage to recover a speedometer, tub of fuel, an air filter, a flywheel ring, and several pockets worth of miscellaneous bolts, nuts, and widgets. They don't have the tools to remove the wheels.

Isaac no longer has useful biblical knowledge.
Isaac has looted a whole load of tractor parts.
Isaac has more fuel.

Chemical Plant
Try to get my feet off the rhino's back and pull on the tangled fence to make the rhino hit the wall badly, ie, off centre, which should cause more damage, both to the wall and the rhino.  Having my feet down should help me control the impact better and hopefully not get any body parts stuck.

"Look, this is just embarassing.  What are you even trying to do?"

[Sandeep rolled 5+1+2body+1fence=9]
[Sandeep rolled 3+1+0empathy-3hunter=1]
Sandeep clambers up onto the fence panel as the rhino charges into the wall. Without Sandeep to cushion the blow, it mashes its face straight into the wall. The brickwork crumbles with the blow, opening a way into the chemical plant. Sandeep is struck by the falling brickwork, cutting his head. The blood forces one of his eyes shut, making co-ordination and spotting harder. He again tries to coax an explanation for the dangerous cyberbeast. Instead it stampedes on into the chemical plant. Sandeep loses his footing and lands with a thud on the ground.

He finds himself in a large processing room with numerous huge vats, each with a ladder leading up to the top and complicated arrays of machinery and pipes all around. The cyberrhino is nowhere in sight, having thundered off deeper into the complex.

Sandeep gains wound: cut head.
Sandeep gains +1 tally for critical failure.

Cemetery
"Wait if you can see what Satellites see, do you know if its like this all over the world, and do you know if there's any police stations between us and the chem plant? Also Were gonna stop here for a second and I'm gonna look for a better weapon than this drawer."
Search the graveyard for a grounds keepers shack and see whats left inside.
[Goldstine rolled 2+1+2wits=5]
Red Cap laughs. "Of course it's like this. Except in the Americas. They shoot down satellites, hunters, everything so who knows what's happening. Cities are dead zones. Nomads do just fine in big places in Africa. Let me see... yes there's a few Norfolk Constabulary branches. Closest is a mile or so due west. The British cops didn't usually have guns on the beat, but I think they keep some at their stations."

As they're chatting, Goldstine and Red Cap walk across a grave. The earth is soft and there are many rabbit holes. As Red Cap walks with his heavy iron boots, suddenly the earth for a dozen feet around caves in. A convoluted network of rabbit warrens fold in on themselves. The pair of them find themselves at the bottom of a deep hole, perhaps ten foot down, with crumbling earth sides. Here and there a tree root or a bit of bone juts out. Red Cap tries to climb up the edge and slides back down.

Goldstine gains +1 tally for learning mystery: Everywhere in the world is similarly abandoned, except for the Americas.
Goldstine gains +1 tally for critical failure.

Walt Labs
Whoever this is must have something to do with this mutation, so if they believe I can respond...

Hello? Can you hear me? This is Irma.
[Irma rolled 3+2+2weird=7]
Irma locks on to the signal, she feels like it's bouncing off a great height, about five miles due east.

"This is Dr White. I'm a friend. You're in grave danger," a man's voice says. "There's a great many dangerous rogue robots out in the wastes who want to destroy you. They're being controlled through a tower in Postwick, to the east. They've locked onto your radio signal. I can catch signals in your area. You need to get out of where you are, anywhere, they'll all begin converging on your position!"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Warped! - a Mutant Hexcrawl RPG - Falling On
« Reply #436 on: July 29, 2019, 06:25:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[I went back and checked, and Sandeep didn't show up until a while after Amoretto had already left. Oh well. I can still do one thing, though...]

"Two things. One, there's a motorboat out at sea, pointed up the coast - going left, if you're facing the beach. Second, while I haven't seen a Sandeep, would he have happened to be part of the cryo programs? If he was, I might know a general area you could be searching in."
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 29, 2019, 06:28:54 pm »

Not inclined to attempt to track people down while weighted down by a whole load of Tractor Parts, Issac heads back to the Gated Community to report what happened and deliver the stuff, barring any objections from his peers.

Spoiler: Issac Revero (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 29, 2019, 06:38:36 pm »

Henry's Cafe
"Two things. One, there's a motorboat out at sea, pointed up the coast - going left, if you're facing the beach. Second, while I haven't seen a Sandeep, would he have happened to be part of the cryo programs? If he was, I might know a general area you could be searching in."
Everyone talks at once.

"We've got to get over there!" shouts Dell.

"Yes! We were both frozen," the woman says. "I was cured. Do you think he could be frozen still or was his pod empty? Do you remember at all?"

"Let's go!" shouts Frog.

"Let's not rush until we have a plan!" says Cass.

Residential Sycamore Woods -> Gated Community
Not inclined to attempt to track people down while weighted down by a whole load of Tractor Parts, Issac heads back to the Gated Community to report what happened and deliver the stuff, barring any objections from his peers.
The three of them return to Tuckswood. The gate opens for them and several community members gather around to sort through all the tractor parts.

When he hears the story, Father Michael says, "The woman must have had help from at least one bot to destroy the tractor."

"She had a freakish power to blow bubbles," says Jethro. "Who knows what other tricks she had."

"It's a shame about the tractor, but you've done a good service recovering what you could," says Father Michael.

"I can't stand them roaming out there," says Zeke, "But I can see we need to be better equipped."

"If only we knew how they were getting the signal out to control their bots," says Father Michael. "Then it wouldn't matter how many there were."

"With the tractor destroyed, we'll need new wheels if we're to head south for the radio supplies," says Jethro.

Isaac considers the next best move.

Isaac gains +1 rep with the Church of the New Millennium (now +1).

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 29, 2019, 06:42:04 pm »

"Alright, everyone, calm down and listen to Cass."

At an opportune time, to the woman:
"I didn't take the time to check the other pods; a bunch of people woke up at the same time I did, and we were all just trying to get out and figure out what happened. He might still be frozen there; he might have woken up since I left. I don't know.
And what do you mean, you were 'cured'?"

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 29, 2019, 06:51:22 pm »

Issac returns the tractor parts and fuel, and then speaks. "I've heard something that might be related to that in my travels now that I think of it. There is supposedly a tower at the Postwick Transmitting Station. Approximately four miles east from the railway station across the river?

I wouldn't trust the guy who told me this as far as I could throw him. He said it was the cause of 'the threats' but refused to elaborate. Might be worth comparing that with your own notes though."

websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2019, 06:56:56 pm »

Find a way into the blimp

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 29, 2019, 07:14:54 pm »

Henry's Cafe
"Alright, everyone, calm down and listen to Cass."

At an opportune time, to the woman:
"I didn't take the time to check the other pods; a bunch of people woke up at the same time I did, and we were all just trying to get out and figure out what happened. He might still be frozen there; he might have woken up since I left. I don't know.
And what do you mean, you were 'cured'?"
[Amoretto rolled 3+1+0empathy+1keep=5]
Frog hops off of the bike and grabs a rifle from the cart.

"You're a freak, Amoretto, but a decent freak," he says. "Thanks for helping us get this far. If you want to come back with us, that's fine too. But I know what's best here. Dell, I'm getting sights from the roof, you get the opposite one. Cass, get into cover we need to figure out what's happening here."

Frog jogs off into the back of the cafe. Dell disappears into an abandoned building opposite. Cass gets off and tucks the bikes and cart around the corner out of view.

All the while the woman continues talking, "I was sick, that's why we froze. I was cured. Dr Davis cured me. I hope Sandeep has thawed as well, I hope he found me note."

She gets up from the chair and starts walking down the street northwest.

Amoretto gains +1 rep with the Keep.
Amoretto gains +1 tally for critical failure.

Gated Community
Issac returns the tractor parts and fuel, and then speaks. "I've heard something that might be related to that in my travels now that I think of it. There is supposedly a tower at the Postwick Transmitting Station. Approximately four miles east from the railway station across the river?

I wouldn't trust the guy who told me this as far as I could throw him. He said it was the cause of 'the threats' but refused to elaborate. Might be worth comparing that with your own notes though."

Father Michael leads Isaac and the others into the vestry of the church, where he uncovers a worn fold-out map. On the front it says OS 237 Norwich, Wymondham, Attleborough & Watton.

It's faded and hard to follow, but Isaac sees the great mass of the city, and a wiggly river above and below the city, curving back and forth as it flows east. Above the river, a railway line runs parallel east. On the very edge of the map, nestled in a curve where the river bends south then north, a village is labelled Postwick. Somewhere in the south part of the city, a very regularly laid-out patch of roads has a green marker pen circle drawn around it, perhaps to indicate home.

"The map is too old to show any comms towers," says Father Michael, "but this Postwick place is exactly where you said it would be."

Spoiler: OS Map 237 (click to show/hide)

Twisty Streets
Find a way into the blimp
[Sandra rolled 5+1+2wits=8]
The unlocked door to the compartment is open and Sandra can see a cramped seating area here next to a control panel for piloting the blimp. She also sees that the balloon itself is a a series of inflated chambers with no way of getting in without terminally bursting them.

As she's poking around, she sees a giant gorilla with camera eyes and armour-plating. It drags itself mechanically on huge spiked knuckles. A huge square battery is strapped to its stomach.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:18:20 pm by notquitethere »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 29, 2019, 07:22:17 pm »

(Technically that was a 5, not that it matters.)
+1 empathy. [EDIT: And 2 tallies edited in.]

"Wait, you know Dr. Davis? We were friends before all this! Is he with your guys?"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:33:57 pm by Glass »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 29, 2019, 07:30:18 pm »

- save a friend from danger
Some loose xp:

Amoretto gains +2 tallies for saving friends twice.
Sandra gains +1 tally for saving a sheep.
El Tigre gains +1 tally for saving Helen in the fight with the yeti.

Do continue to let me know if I miss anything.

(Also, Sandeep doesn't get one for breaking a hole in the chemical plant, as it was only relatively superficial damage to the structure.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 29, 2019, 07:30:36 pm »

Say the following to the gorrilla, “Hi, is this your blimp?, If so, I’m curious why you captured a sheep.”

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 29, 2019, 07:40:20 pm »

Henry's Cafe
"Wait, you know Dr. Davis? We were friends before all this! Is he with your guys?"
[Amoretto rolled 3+1+1empathy+0walt=5]
The woman is suddenly unsure of herself, she looks up, behind him. "I- I don't think your friends look so friendly!"

Amoretto sees up on the roof of the cafe, Frog has climbed out and is looking off to the coast through the scope of the rifle. The woman runs off northwest, perhaps to warn her companions.

Amoretto gains +1 tally for critical failure.

Twisty Streets
Say the following to the gorrilla, “Hi, is this your blimp?, If so, I’m curious why you captured a sheep.”
[Sandra rolled 4+1+1empathy-1hunter=5]
"Where's my sheep! Get out of my blimp you meddling hussy!"  bellows the gorilla, bounding towards Sandra with murderous intent!

Sandra gains +1 tally for critical failure.

(Don't forget your tally from my last post)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 29, 2019, 07:50:05 pm »

(No tally for wrecking the wall?  Aww.)

Start gathering some tools and look for any good places for traps.  Holes in the floor, channels for water or other liquids, etcetera.  This is a bad spot for a rhino, but there might be another smarter robot around.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 29, 2019, 07:54:37 pm »

Issac figured that it might be safe at this point to bring up the subject of mutants to see what the locals do when they encounter them in a way that didn't suggest that he was one himself.

Issac speaks. "Might be something to it then I suppose, but I'd rate it as a low priority. Unfortunately, I'm lacking any brilliant ideas right now."

"When you said that the thief was blowing bubbles... I'm guessing you weren't talking about soap bubbles right? I've been hearing lots of talk about so called 'mutants' with weird abilities lately. Is this something that you have to deal with around here often?"

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:38:51 pm by Supernerd »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 29, 2019, 07:58:05 pm »

"Alright, guys, seriously, what the hell are you doing? These are the first people we've found out here who are even moderately friendly and you're acting like they're threatening you with guns."

(.-.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:59:47 pm by Glass »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44